Menu

October 24, 2018

Meghan, Duchess Of Sussex – Australia Visit Day 6 & 7

The Duke And Duchess Of Sussex Visit Australia

Here is a roundup from the less formal events that have been attended by Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex during their Australia trip.

Invictus Games: Prior to the opening ceremony, the Duchess opted to go casual in Altuzarra’s ‘Acacia’ Blazer from the Resort 2019 collection, styled with a black shirt, and Mother ‘Looker – Not Guilty’ jeans. My issue with this look is the blazer. Aside from the stark white, I find it really unflattering.

The Duke And Duchess Of Sussex Visit Australia

Invictus Games Day 2: Meghan’s look was much the same the following day, but the overall vibe was much improved with the more flattering L’Agence’s ‘Brea’ pinestripe blazer and neat bun. I thought we’d seen the last of Meghan’s pre-wedding love for cross-body bags, but they made a return with this Oroton ‘Avalon’ dual-colour piece.

The Duke And Duchess Of Sussex Visit Australia

Kingfisher Bay Walk About: The couple took a leisurely stroll on day 7 (October 22) of their tour, which saw the Duchess opt for another striped dress, this time from Reformation. The ‘Pineapple’ dress would normally break royal protocol – bare shoulders and no tights, plus I’m sure a few eyebrows will be raised a the thigh high slit – but the linen dress was definitely the right choice for the pregnant Duchess considering the weather in that particular part of Australia right now is a balmy 24 degrees. Black Karen Walker ‘Northern Lights’ sunglasses and Sarah Flint sandals completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Kiernan Shipka In Elie Saab - Netflix’s ‘Chilling Adventures of Sabrina' LA Premiere

Kiernan Shipka In Elie Saab – Netflix’s ‘Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ LA Premiere

Amandla Stenberg In Valentino - 'The Hate U Give' London Film Festival Premiere

Amandla Stenberg In Valentino – ‘The Hate U Give’ London Film Festival Premiere

28 Responses to Meghan, Duchess Of Sussex – Australia Visit Day 6 & 7

1. laurie October 24, 2018 at 7:34 pm #

I think fit is an issue with a lot of her choices, the blazer in the first look is hiking up no doubt due to her bump, but her stylist needs to be aware of the issue. Hems need to be adjusted to be longer in the front to go over a bump.

2. Laura October 24, 2018 at 6:34 pm #

I find these comments so strange yet amusing. It’s like having a preference for simple clothing in neutral colours is some kind of personal attack, like there was a job description ready – must wear bold colours and styles, never wrinkle, repeat looks while never repeating a look and for the love of god fly away strands are NOT ALLOWED. I thought fashion was about developing your own aesthetic?

3. TeaAtTwo October 24, 2018 at 6:20 pm #

a bit of thigh and people act as she went nude. The second would be my favourite. I’d like to see her in a really slick updo.

4. Ksenia October 24, 2018 at 4:57 pm #

I love Meghan, but her style sucks.

It’s boring when 1. she is in the position to push the rules and has the public on her side (she could totally get away with Interesting and/or Sexy…For-A-Royal Antonio Berardi, come on) and 2. she consistently makes mistakes that Hollywood stylists like Queens Karla Welch, Elizabeth Stewart or Petra Flannery Would Never like crinkles, bad fits (the too-stiff fabric and fit of the sleeves of her wedding dress!), unflattering angles and tucking problems. For example, today, the neckline on her Reformation dress is unflattering. I know she has to be especially conservative in the neckline department, but this neckline is not flattering on most people.

Seriously, what is up.

• justme October 24, 2018 at 6:13 pm #

A biracial, American woman is not in the position to push the rules of the British Royal Family. It’s not an attack on you but the expectancy of woc being mules has to stop.

• Ksenia October 25, 2018 at 4:58 pm #

Whenever I say Meghan can get away more with pushing the rules, I am referencing the fact that her husband Harry is seventh in line to the throne. His whole life he has pushed the rules, his grandmother the Queen is very lenient with him, he is the star of the royal family, beloved by the public. All that goodwill and room he has in his position extends to his wife.

• justme October 25, 2018 at 6:33 pm #

Harry is still seen as the little boy who was forced to walk behind his mother’s coffin. That’s why he, and only him, gets away with stuff. Meghan doesn’t have that luxury. I thought that she might but I was quickly brought back to reality.

• Ksenia October 25, 2018 at 11:42 pm #

She does have more room than Kate. Look at the wedding, that wedding was Meghan making room, and she got away with it, as she should have. She’s not going to bust out an amazing tailored puff sleeve techno fabric Berardi, or a Nicole Kidman glamorous Prive-esque moment, but she can do a tailored peplum Berardi. She can add personality in her sunglasses, a ring, a detail on her shoes, more exquisite details (see Gwyneth Paltrow’s style). There is so much more she can do.

I know Samantha Cameron and Michelle Obama weren’t royals, but they were fun to watch. Eugenie and Beatrice are fun to watch. Meghan has less room than Beatrice and Eugenie, but certainly more room than Kate. Kate is trapped in a straightjacket; her baby blue McQueen was horrendous but royal watcher pearl-clutchers (who are mentally stuck in the 50s) loved it.

5. JHH October 24, 2018 at 4:50 pm #

These are so-so.

6. Eva October 24, 2018 at 3:50 pm #

The second look is by far my favourite, apart from the stilettos on grass situation which is a pet peeve on mine. Loved the bag.

The third dress simply looks unprofessional to me. Now I don’t care about any protocole; she was out meeting dignitaries, and it just isn’t something I would ever think of wearing to work no matter how warm. And it gets much stickier than 24 degrees here! Cute dress for a beach vacation, wrong setting.

7. Jerusa Herrera October 24, 2018 at 3:44 pm #

The second and the third! She looks so relaxed and carefree,

• SilentVisitor October 24, 2018 at 4:22 pm #

Especially love the second look; this is such a Casual Friday dress up at work

8. meme October 24, 2018 at 2:43 pm #

Love the second and third looks. I’m sure plenty of British eyebrows were raised at the slit on the dress. Prudes LOL

• AnnieOh October 24, 2018 at 5:00 pm #

9. RL October 24, 2018 at 2:35 pm #

I really love the first Alturazza blazer – I think it flatters her. Lovely Reformation dress as well

10. MW October 24, 2018 at 2:35 pm #

She is quickly becoming even more boring than Kate. At least Kate wears colour.

How anyone, let alone a Dutchess, could think that the last dress is a good idea for a professional engagement, even an informal one, is beyond me. There is such a thing as smart casual.

• Anne-Marie October 24, 2018 at 3:04 pm #

• Ksenia October 24, 2018 at 5:00 pm #

I totally agree AW. Meghan is seemingly trying to establish a uniform of whites, blues, navys, blacks and greys in an effort to make her outfits less of the story… or maybe her style really does suck. It’s yet to be seen if this is work choice or just boring taste combined with sloppy styling.

• justme October 24, 2018 at 5:01 pm #

Smart casual to walk on a pier and meet children who are wearing flip flops? Lol sure. The dress was approved by her advisors and posted on Kensington Palace’s IG. It’s appropriate for her position and the occasion.

• MW October 24, 2018 at 6:51 pm #

I don’t know what her style was like before she married PH, so I can’t judge, but if she was a proper fashionista then we would have probably heard about it. 🙂 She did once wear that bright yellow dress so maybe there is hope.

Yes, smart casual. She is not on holiday, but representing the British monarchy and government. When my company organises a team event on the beach, I also don’t wear my beach cover up.

• justme October 24, 2018 at 7:21 pm #

I could be wrong but I don’t think that your job entails appealing to the populations of the Commonwealth countries to make them forget the absurdity of having a monarch in 2018.

I know that we’re on a fashion blog but let’s keep it all the way real. This is not a 5-9 to job. This is a political project to appear relatable to the masses. So yeah, a beach a dress at the beach was the way to go.

But yes, Meghan pre-Harry was all about the neutrals.

• Shuzzz October 25, 2018 at 3:32 am #

11. justme October 24, 2018 at 2:35 pm #

I like the two last looks with my favorite being the Reformation dress. I personally love the slit and considering the pic Kensington Palace chose to post on Instagram, so did they.

12. Caroline October 24, 2018 at 2:28 pm #

Love these three looks.

13. Anne-Marie October 24, 2018 at 1:25 pm #

“NEAT BUN”? In what universe that was a neat bun?

• Catherine Kallon October 24, 2018 at 4:22 pm #

ha… sorry. Neat-ish

• Anne-Marie October 24, 2018 at 6:52 pm #

Now it’s perfect. Thank you 🙂

14. Vizual Ninja October 24, 2018 at 1:18 pm #

Love the second look, especially the bag. The last looks a bit of a mes and the first is fine to me, she sure loves those shoes.