Menu

23.12.17 Best Of

Where Is The Love? Margot Robbie

Reading some of your comments on the majority of Margot Robbie’s posts had me thinking, “where is the love?”

I’m a fan, so I was perplex why the majority of the comments veered mostly on the not so favourable side.

While the Dior boiler suit wasn’t her finest moment, I found myself celebrating simple looks like her The Row jumpsuit, to her two striking Versace tribute numbers and many more.

So let’s put all your cards on the table, what is it about Margot’s style that doesn’t sit well with you?

Is she not living up to her potential in your eyes, or it is simply a case of must do better?

Credit: Getty

Stylist of the Year - Law Roach

Stylist of the Year – Law Roach

J'Adore Jennifer Lawrence in Dior

J’Adore Jennifer Lawrence in Dior

34 Responses to Where Is The Love? Margot Robbie

1. Tamia January 1, 2018 at 2:39 am #

There are a few reasons why I think her style leaves people cold:
    1) Her style is non cohesive and totally all over the place (not in a good way)
    2) Her clothes never seem well tailored, hence making her look less polished
    3) You can tell she doesn’t have a deep appreciation for clothes or style in general. I remember she wore very short jean shorts to an Oscar rehearsal *shudders*
    All that said, she is stunningly beautiful.

2. Jay December 28, 2017 at 2:07 am #

I really enjoyed her this year. That butterfly dress was delightful!

3. Amy December 26, 2017 at 5:51 pm #

She had some great looks but her style can be inconsistent and sometimes all over the place. Not to mention her glam ( hair & makeup) are usually lackluster.
    Still a fashionista

• chyc December 27, 2017 at 3:50 am #

• Gemma December 28, 2017 at 2:37 am #

Her style seems to be quite consistent with her current persona, in that she doesn’t seem to have any idea of her brand as a creative in Hollywood either. She comes across as wanting to emulate other actresses while talking about also wanting to be a writer/producer/director/everything under the sun.

I think she needs to have a sit down and think about how she wants to put herself across in general.

4. SilentVisitor December 26, 2017 at 1:43 pm #

I think her red versace look was amazing; unfortunately, her mechanic uniform stayed with me. She had great looks and really bad ones

5. VG December 25, 2017 at 11:01 am #

It’s not all bad, I like the red Versace, the gold Versace tribute dress and the Dark green Saint Laurent dress. But most of it was a miss…I think she needs to stick with Versace and Saint Laurent. The sexy, no fuss style of those brands seem to suit her most IMO.

6. Musicology December 25, 2017 at 10:51 am #

Good question. Her style personally is better than jlaw. But compared to zendaya and rebecca hall on promotional tour, they are so much better. And with margot i dont get the warmth from her. I get that from zendaya even how crazy her outfit is. Sometimes it isnt just about a look , you can feel the warmth from a picture. X

7. Noemi December 24, 2017 at 2:08 pm #

Except for a couple of outfits, I found M. Robbie’s 2017 style simply amazing.
    So, here’s my love <3

8. Caroline December 24, 2017 at 2:03 pm #

Her style is all over the place. A change of stylists should be good for her.

9. Maria S December 24, 2017 at 11:51 am #

Personally, I like Margot and her style a lot. She is always interesting. BUT, it feels like all her looks are copies of something Emma Stone gave us first. It is just bad luck, but they are too similar in my eyes and she comes in second 🙁

10. Merve December 24, 2017 at 7:58 am #

She seems like she doesn’t like being there. I think that’s the turn off. Maybe she enjoys making films, and this she has to tolerate? At least that’s what it looks like from these 6 photos.

11. TeaAtTwo December 24, 2017 at 6:04 am #

That boilersuit – now that was a Dior look to go on the WDOTY list.
    Her red Versace look was fab but a lot of her looks weren’t dire but did leave me wanting more.

12. Nicola December 24, 2017 at 3:36 am #

She’s one of my favourites of the year. Love how she experiments and always tries something different. I don’t think I’ve seen her ever do anything go the safe beautiful gown route, which is by far my least favourite fashion choice.

13. kelly December 24, 2017 at 1:42 am #

I just don’t find her engaging as a person, and therefore most of what she wears seems to fall flat. She doesn’t excite me.

• Gemma December 28, 2017 at 2:39 am #

I think this is mostly it for me. She has a lot of crossover style with Emma Stone, but Emma Stone is very engaging, where Robbie isn’t. So I always wish I were looking at photos of Stone.

14. Fiona - Perth December 24, 2017 at 12:18 am #

I hear you but it is definitely a case of not coming across as authentic, she came onto the scene a bit like a young Michelle Pfeiffer which was amazing but she has been dabbling in various looks some of which are not so successful, needs to work with her stylist more carefully I think.

15. Pheephee December 23, 2017 at 11:52 pm #

O that butterfly dress is just so beyond gorgeous. I absolutely adore that look.

Shes had an awful lot of bad looks though mixed in with her good ones.
    The choices just seem off a lot of times. Like her stylist just can’t figure her out. And neither can her hairstylist.

16. Leandra December 23, 2017 at 11:04 pm #

I have the impression that most people are expecting she plays the uber sexy blond and somehow she knows that game can be counterproductive( and honestly, quite tiresome/dated right now ) thus her choices for those not so conventional outfits, the so called “misses”. Personally I love that The Row jumpsuit silhouette, it is very sensual but not that type of “on your face” sensuality.
    Rihana wore that couture astronaut suit by Dior and there was a message from Raf there whereas “the mechanic” by Chiuri was a squalid, ill-thought-out copy of it. While Raf aspire to be artsy Chiuri fails trying to conceive the kooky look got at Valentino.

17. Mimi December 23, 2017 at 10:46 pm #

The red Versace is one of my BDOTY in terms of a more casual look/ street style.

Overall, looking back at these pics, I think it’s because her styling is pretty lackluster. Her hair color and hair styling esp. better makeup and better hairstyles probably would’ve elevated these looks.

• Ariya December 24, 2017 at 3:12 am #

Agree with everything you said.

• Gemma December 28, 2017 at 2:43 am #

Imo she looks way better with her natural dark brown hair. I feel like the fake blonde is only adding to the air of inauthenticity about her. It’s like she doesn’t really know herself who she wants to be.

• CreoleLady December 24, 2017 at 10:25 am #

+2. The second row of looks perfectly illustrates your points about lackluster styling (and that’s ignoring the crumpled hems). She does better imo when color and/or sharp tailoring inject excitement because for me she does not bring any life to the outfits herself.

18. Chris December 23, 2017 at 10:30 pm #

I really agree with this, actually! Yes, she’s had a bigger misstep or two, but most of the time, I really enjoy her style and am sometimes surprised by the negative comments.

• Boy December 24, 2017 at 2:01 am #

I totally agree with you.

• yumey December 24, 2017 at 4:00 am #

I have to agree with you on this. Margot has a cool vibe about her and while sometimes she falters, most of the time the looks are amazing.

19. Lashae December 23, 2017 at 10:04 pm #

She really needs to get better. I’ve never been a fan of her style but even others style I don’t care (ie Jennifer Lawrence) get it right more often than not.

Maybe for awards season next year we’ll see Margot in better clothes.

20. EmmaWoodhouse December 23, 2017 at 9:49 pm #

She has an interesting style, definitely some misses, but when she gets it right she gets it RIGHT. That butterfly Versace was in my top 3 BDOTY. I’m with you, FC!

21. Iva December 23, 2017 at 9:28 pm #

“Must do better”.

Let’s not forget the WDOTY list as well.

22. V. December 23, 2017 at 9:00 pm #

Bland.

23. Alina December 23, 2017 at 8:42 pm #

Well, I, for one, think she can do better. She has more misses than hits and her style seems to be all over the place.

• Schoolbea December 23, 2017 at 8:50 pm #

+1 I can’t figure her out. She’s blown me away a couple of times, but the rest of the time she was pushed out of my BDOTW by someone better.

• Christine December 23, 2017 at 11:43 pm #

Agree. Her style has not been consistent and it’s been all over the place as Alina said. When she first started, I was into her newbie style, but now – I am not. More misses than hits.