Menu

03.03.14

Lupita Nyong’o In Prada – Oscars 2014

Lupita Nyong’o In Prada - Oscars 2014

Lupita Nyong’o was the one we were all waiting to take the red carpet at the 2014 Oscars held at the Hollywood & Highland Center on Sunday (March 2) in Hollywood, California.

As predicted, the face of Miu Miu wore Prada, gliding down the red carpet wearing a custom light-blue silk georgette soleil pleated gown with a deep V-neck top and low cut sides.

The skirt was enriched with delicate crystal beading on the edges of the pleats to add a sparkle as she posed for the camera.

She completed her look with Fred Leighton jewels, which included an ear cuff, satin Prada platform sandals, and a matching Prada raso clutch with baguette crystal detail, framed in gold – which will look so great alongside that Oscar I hope she wins.

Miucca did her proud. This is a stunning gown. Do you agree?

Credit: Getty

Kelly Osbourne In Badgley Mischka - Oscars 2014

Kelly Osbourne In Badgley Mischka – Oscars 2014

Viola Davis In Escada - Oscars 2014

Viola Davis In Escada – Oscars 2014

95 Responses to Lupita Nyong’o In Prada – Oscars 2014

1. Gabrie1a March 3, 2014 at 04:10 #

Well she just wins everything! Even though that headband doesnt agree with me, looks juvinille, the best dressed for sure

2. EmmaWoodhouse March 3, 2014 at 04:00 #

She won! You must be so happy, FC! 🙂

3. Moxie March 3, 2014 at 03:58 #

Absolutely stunning.

4. jessicamarantelli March 3, 2014 at 03:43 #

So I like the colour an cut and the styling but someone has to tell me cause I don’t get it…what’s with all the hype? To me she is a pretty girl who can dress well (minus the shoes) and has great makeup choices but there is something I really dont like about her.

5. Cássia March 3, 2014 at 03:34 #

Stunning as always and Oscar winning! Love this girl!

6. snowlion March 3, 2014 at 03:18 #

So beautiful on stage, with the swish of the gown and the way the headband glittered like a little halo. Lovely.

7. Thomas March 3, 2014 at 02:46 #

One word : Divine.
    Although it is a little underwhelming as compared to the Ralph Lauren number she wore for the GG. She looks flawless with the headband

8. Sophy March 3, 2014 at 02:22 #

I agree – cinderella at her big ball – lovely!

9. Jess2 March 3, 2014 at 02:04 #

Breathtaking. Ethereal. Elegant. Stunning!

10. Peony March 3, 2014 at 01:50 #

This is an incredible look on her, what a dreamy colour. It’s a difficult neckline to pull off but Lupita does it with poise. I love the way it’s been styled too, with the headband and all.

11. Alicat March 3, 2014 at 01:33 #

This gown is beautiful in its simplicity. I don’t think the photos do the crystal embellishments justice. It must look amazing when she moves. I am in awe of the way this lady looks so stunning in a multitude of hues. This is more understated than some of her recent choices, but so sophisticated and perfect for the occasion.

12. Ysatis March 3, 2014 at 01:03 #

The dress is beautiful although not the most original. She played it safe, she has a good chance of winning the oscar so she chose a timeless look.

13. Laura March 3, 2014 at 00:59 #

That colour does nothing for her. She looked so great in all the jewel tones she’s been wearing. This is boring.

• Christina March 3, 2014 at 10:17 #

I agree. The pale blue IS a beautiful colour – just not on Lupita. With her gorgeous skintone she can carry off really deep jewel tones, as you say. I also think she’s better suited to more fitted gowns, so all round, I don’t think this is a great choice for Lupita at all.

14. TL March 3, 2014 at 00:57 #

She looks beautiful and lovely, but i am still disappointed as i expected more from her.

15. Ky • twopretzels.com March 3, 2014 at 00:56 #

In awe. She’s stunning. The headband is fantastic. I love the bodice. I love the flow. All of this is stunning.

16. liz March 3, 2014 at 00:56 #

hate it. so plain. there were SO MANY better gowns she could’ve picked! Blech.

17. Marybeth March 3, 2014 at 00:55 #

Beautiful color. I love the princessy feel of the skirt. Alas, I don’t much like the bodice, nor the headband.
    She looks nice enough but I have to admit I’m disappointed.

18. tom March 3, 2014 at 00:49 #

total misstep…great dress wrong person and occasion.

19. EmmaWoodhouse March 3, 2014 at 00:48 #

Definitely a Cinderella moment. The plunging neckline is not to my taste, but the skirt and color are lovely. It’s certainly well-fitted. Her styling is good, I think the headband works. She is glowing in beauty, of course. However, it won’t be on my BDOTY list. I really wish she’d worn the Elie Saab gown FC picked out. However, I’m glad others seem to be pleased!

20. Clara March 3, 2014 at 00:41 #

Best dressed so far, simple but lovely and charming, she really looks like Cinderella.

21. sophie March 3, 2014 at 00:40 #

Love Lupita but this is indeed disappointing. This very dress has been done by just about every designer out there.

• Noemi March 3, 2014 at 02:21 #

I agree with you. Already seen and this kind of neckline is not very flattering on her. I find the headband really nonsense, the earrings are too much. At the Golden Globes she did so much better.

• Quinn March 3, 2014 at 09:17 #

‘This very dress has been done by just about every designer out there’ – my thought exactly when i first see the picture.

22. fromchi-town March 3, 2014 at 00:39 #

The color is spectacular on her. It might not be the wow moment we were waiting for… But this is her big princess moment and i am glad she chose this dress. If she is going to win, this is a great drss to do it in.

23. ash March 3, 2014 at 00:39 #

It’s the Oscars, Lupita is having her princess moment, I think she looks gorgeous.

24. liz March 3, 2014 at 00:37 #

Hate it. Sorry. Completely wrong for her, and the hairband makes me cringe. I was expecting SO MUCH.

25. Hannah March 3, 2014 at 00:37 #

I gasped when I saw this. It is more perfect than I could have imagined. Totally unexpected both for the point of view of her previous selections and for the point of view that it is such an uncommon silhouette, especially for the more rigid and classic Oscar night. This is truly a statement, and a very memorable yet refreshing one at that. Classic yet modern, the perfect end to her amazing fashion run.

26. Nat39 March 3, 2014 at 00:37 #

Very lovely but I can’t help but feel disappointed – this is not the memorable showstopper I was hoping for. This is just predictably nice and beautiful, nothing to get excited about.

• Sleepless in Chicago March 3, 2014 at 11:13 #

Agreed. Beautiful color and underwhelming design.

27. CreoleLady March 3, 2014 at 00:36 #

Lovely. J’adore the fabric, the pleating and the silhouette. A modern version of Disney’s Cinderella (the blue dress, the hair accent), so well done that I am not disappointed. May the clock never strike midnight on her career in Hollywood. The crystalline sparkle as she moves is just beautiful.

28. kane March 3, 2014 at 00:35 #

This is certainly big, but oh what an anticlimax! Nope, this isn’t doing anything for me at all.

• sara March 3, 2014 at 01:19 #

+ 1! i was so disappointed, now it looks like everything she has worn before was better than the Oscars..not a good look at all!

• adrian March 3, 2014 at 02:49 #

• kane March 3, 2014 at 10:35 #

I have since seen a different picture of her having a little princessy moment with the skirt–so adorable. I still don’t really care for the dress, but her wearing this is an interesting, modern take on Cindarella that I can’t quite deny.

• Sleepless in Chicago March 3, 2014 at 11:10 #

Agreed. She has done better looks before. Love the color, though.

29. Alex March 3, 2014 at 00:32 #

It’s lovely, but I wish she had saved her Gucci Premiere dress for the Oscars.

• Prudence March 3, 2014 at 03:11 #

Agreed. This is definitely not her best look. Even her Golden Globe dress surpasses this. Have to admit I was kind of disappointed.

• dee March 3, 2014 at 18:17 #

Me too. This is underwhelming.

30. marcel March 3, 2014 at 00:29 #

This is not good. Prada is never a good option for a red carpet. Miuccia can not make a good gown. The headband gives her a childish vibe. The colour is nice but then, Lupita can work every single colour out there.

31. Amber March 3, 2014 at 00:29 #

I hate the styling, and I don’t really like the super deep vee of the bodice, either. Pretty meh overall in my opinion.

32. brat March 3, 2014 at 00:28 #

Lupita looks like an angel, Amy is the picture of sophistication, I can’t decide…this may be a tie…

33. Susan N. March 3, 2014 at 00:28 #

A Prada gown I actually love! No one does color quite like Lupita.

34. elle March 3, 2014 at 00:27 #

Such a ravishing blue from Nairobi to represent her home! She is so darling. The headband takes some getting used to but it helps with the flow dress and princess/girly vibe. I only have reservations with how deep that v – neck is. It’s a bit too deep!

35. marcel March 3, 2014 at 00:27 #

just PER-FECT….incredible body, incredible skin colour, incredible attitude….FLAWLESS

36. Catherine March 3, 2014 at 00:25 #

Absolutely perfect! This Prada gown is so delicate, feminine, and romantic. Lupita’s style is so elegant; this gown and her Christian Dior Haute Couture gown at the BAFTA Awards are my two favorites. I love her!

37. AnnaP March 3, 2014 at 00:24 #

Sorry I posted twice – didn’t think the first one went through.

38. Christy March 3, 2014 at 00:24 #

That color is heavenly.

39. Amanda March 3, 2014 at 00:24 #

WOW!! I don’t know how it gets better than that!! Breathtaking.

• SilentVisitor March 3, 2014 at 00:27 #

Totally agree

40. AnnaP March 3, 2014 at 00:23 #

Breathtaking – brings tears to my eyes. Absolute perfection.

• SilentVisitor March 3, 2014 at 00:27 #

41. AnderBoBo March 3, 2014 at 00:23 #

Beautiful color but honestly a bit lackluster. Not loving her hair either, definitely would have liked to see the closer cropped ‘do.

42. Joy March 3, 2014 at 00:22 #

Yikes! I hate that I don’t like it, but I don’t think the plunging neckline and arm openings is flattering. Gosh, I’m so sad I don’t love it. 🙁

The color is beautiful and her makeup is lovely too.

43. julyol1972 March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

Goosebumps!!! The pictures do not do it justice. She was stunning on the red carpet. She describes the color is “Nairobi Blue” since she chose the dress, because it reminded her of home. Best Dressed winner for me already.

44. AnnaP March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

Breathtaking – brings tears to my eyes. Perfection!

45. jimmy March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

This is beautiful. It is going to take a lot to surpass this tonight.

46. Christine March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

GORGEOUS AND BREATHTAKING GOWN! But no to the headpiece.

47. CJK March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

I’m so disappointed. Given it’s a Prada gown it could have been worse, but I hoped for something amazing and this is not it. And that headband just makes be want to cry. Missed opportunity!

• Iva March 3, 2014 at 09:12 #

• ValS March 3, 2014 at 17:07 #

+ 2 I also feel completely underwhelmed by this..really sad

• Shuz4ever March 4, 2014 at 03:13 #

• gabis March 7, 2014 at 12:47 #

Yes, that exactly. Gosh, the headband with the earrings is just hideous. Makes her look like a 10 year old.

48. Kathryn March 3, 2014 at 00:20 #

LOVE! The color “Nairobi Blue” is PERFECTION! She looks amazing, but her cape moment at the Golden Globes will always be my number one!

49. Yeliz March 3, 2014 at 00:20 #

Wow, this gown is breathtaking and I love it even more against her skin tone. I don’t like the hair accessory, but it doesn’t keep me from loving the overall look. Just stunning.

50. Zerina March 3, 2014 at 00:19 #

Perfect first time Oscars appearance. She looks beautiful. I am so glad she delivered.