03.03.14

Lupita Nyong’o In Prada – Oscars 2014

Lupita Nyong’o In Prada - Oscars 2014

Lupita Nyong’o was the one we were all waiting to take the red carpet at the 2014 Oscars held at the Hollywood & Highland Center on Sunday (March 2) in Hollywood, California.

As predicted, the face of Miu Miu wore Prada, gliding down the red carpet wearing a custom light-blue silk georgette soleil pleated gown with a deep V-neck top and low cut sides.

The skirt was enriched with delicate crystal beading on the edges of the pleats to add a sparkle as she posed for the camera.

She completed her look with Fred Leighton jewels, which included an ear cuff, satin Prada platform sandals, and a matching Prada raso clutch with baguette crystal detail, framed in gold – which will look so great alongside that Oscar I hope she wins.

Miucca did her proud. This is a stunning gown. Do you agree?

Credit: Getty

Keri Russell In Rosie Assoulin - 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Keri Russell In Rosie Assoulin – 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Viola Davis In Escada - Oscars 2014

Viola Davis In Escada – Oscars 2014

95 Responses to Lupita Nyong’o In Prada – Oscars 2014

1. Zerina March 3, 2014 at 00:19 #

Perfect first time Oscars appearance. She looks beautiful. I am so glad she delivered.

2. Yeliz March 3, 2014 at 00:20 #

Wow, this gown is breathtaking and I love it even more against her skin tone. I don’t like the hair accessory, but it doesn’t keep me from loving the overall look. Just stunning.

3. Kathryn March 3, 2014 at 00:20 #

LOVE! The color “Nairobi Blue” is PERFECTION! She looks amazing, but her cape moment at the Golden Globes will always be my number one!

4. CJK March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

I’m so disappointed. Given it’s a Prada gown it could have been worse, but I hoped for something amazing and this is not it. And that headband just makes be want to cry. Missed opportunity!

• Iva March 3, 2014 at 09:12 #

• ValS March 3, 2014 at 17:07 #

+ 2 I also feel completely underwhelmed by this..really sad

• Shuz4ever March 4, 2014 at 03:13 #

• gabis March 7, 2014 at 12:47 #

Yes, that exactly. Gosh, the headband with the earrings is just hideous. Makes her look like a 10 year old.

5. Christine March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

GORGEOUS AND BREATHTAKING GOWN! But no to the headpiece.

6. jimmy March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

This is beautiful. It is going to take a lot to surpass this tonight.

7. AnnaP March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

Breathtaking – brings tears to my eyes. Perfection!

8. julyol1972 March 3, 2014 at 00:21 #

Goosebumps!!! The pictures do not do it justice. She was stunning on the red carpet. She describes the color is “Nairobi Blue” since she chose the dress, because it reminded her of home. Best Dressed winner for me already.

9. Joy March 3, 2014 at 00:22 #

Yikes! I hate that I don’t like it, but I don’t think the plunging neckline and arm openings is flattering. Gosh, I’m so sad I don’t love it. :(

The color is beautiful and her makeup is lovely too.

10. AnderBoBo March 3, 2014 at 00:23 #

Beautiful color but honestly a bit lackluster. Not loving her hair either, definitely would have liked to see the closer cropped ‘do.

11. AnnaP March 3, 2014 at 00:23 #

Breathtaking – brings tears to my eyes. Absolute perfection.

• SilentVisitor March 3, 2014 at 00:27 #

12. Amanda March 3, 2014 at 00:24 #

WOW!! I don’t know how it gets better than that!! Breathtaking.

• SilentVisitor March 3, 2014 at 00:27 #

Totally agree

13. Christy March 3, 2014 at 00:24 #

That color is heavenly.

14. AnnaP March 3, 2014 at 00:24 #

Sorry I posted twice – didn’t think the first one went through.

15. Catherine March 3, 2014 at 00:25 #

Absolutely perfect! This Prada gown is so delicate, feminine, and romantic. Lupita’s style is so elegant; this gown and her Christian Dior Haute Couture gown at the BAFTA Awards are my two favorites. I love her!

16. marcel March 3, 2014 at 00:27 #

just PER-FECT….incredible body, incredible skin colour, incredible attitude….FLAWLESS

17. elle March 3, 2014 at 00:27 #

Such a ravishing blue from Nairobi to represent her home! She is so darling. The headband takes some getting used to but it helps with the flow dress and princess/girly vibe. I only have reservations with how deep that v – neck is. It’s a bit too deep!

18. Susan N. March 3, 2014 at 00:28 #

A Prada gown I actually love! No one does color quite like Lupita.

19. brat March 3, 2014 at 00:28 #

Lupita looks like an angel, Amy is the picture of sophistication, I can’t decide…this may be a tie…

20. Amber March 3, 2014 at 00:29 #

I hate the styling, and I don’t really like the super deep vee of the bodice, either. Pretty meh overall in my opinion.

21. marcel March 3, 2014 at 00:29 #

This is not good. Prada is never a good option for a red carpet. Miuccia can not make a good gown. The headband gives her a childish vibe. The colour is nice but then, Lupita can work every single colour out there.

22. Alex March 3, 2014 at 00:32 #

It’s lovely, but I wish she had saved her Gucci Premiere dress for the Oscars.

• Prudence March 3, 2014 at 03:11 #

Agreed. This is definitely not her best look. Even her Golden Globe dress surpasses this. Have to admit I was kind of disappointed.

• dee March 3, 2014 at 18:17 #

Me too. This is underwhelming.

23. kane March 3, 2014 at 00:35 #

This is certainly big, but oh what an anticlimax! Nope, this isn’t doing anything for me at all.

• sara March 3, 2014 at 01:19 #

+ 1! i was so disappointed, now it looks like everything she has worn before was better than the Oscars..not a good look at all!

• adrian March 3, 2014 at 02:49 #

• kane March 3, 2014 at 10:35 #

I have since seen a different picture of her having a little princessy moment with the skirt–so adorable. I still don’t really care for the dress, but her wearing this is an interesting, modern take on Cindarella that I can’t quite deny.

• Sleepless in Chicago March 3, 2014 at 11:10 #

Agreed. She has done better looks before. Love the color, though.

24. CreoleLady March 3, 2014 at 00:36 #

Lovely. J’adore the fabric, the pleating and the silhouette. A modern version of Disney’s Cinderella (the blue dress, the hair accent), so well done that I am not disappointed. May the clock never strike midnight on her career in Hollywood. The crystalline sparkle as she moves is just beautiful.

25. Nat39 March 3, 2014 at 00:37 #

Very lovely but I can’t help but feel disappointed – this is not the memorable showstopper I was hoping for. This is just predictably nice and beautiful, nothing to get excited about.

• Sleepless in Chicago March 3, 2014 at 11:13 #

Agreed. Beautiful color and underwhelming design.

26. Hannah March 3, 2014 at 00:37 #

I gasped when I saw this. It is more perfect than I could have imagined. Totally unexpected both for the point of view of her previous selections and for the point of view that it is such an uncommon silhouette, especially for the more rigid and classic Oscar night. This is truly a statement, and a very memorable yet refreshing one at that. Classic yet modern, the perfect end to her amazing fashion run.

27. liz March 3, 2014 at 00:37 #

Hate it. Sorry. Completely wrong for her, and the hairband makes me cringe. I was expecting SO MUCH.

28. ash March 3, 2014 at 00:39 #

It’s the Oscars, Lupita is having her princess moment, I think she looks gorgeous.

29. fromchi-town March 3, 2014 at 00:39 #

The color is spectacular on her. It might not be the wow moment we were waiting for… But this is her big princess moment and i am glad she chose this dress. If she is going to win, this is a great drss to do it in.

30. sophie March 3, 2014 at 00:40 #

Love Lupita but this is indeed disappointing. This very dress has been done by just about every designer out there.

• Noemi March 3, 2014 at 02:21 #

I agree with you. Already seen and this kind of neckline is not very flattering on her. I find the headband really nonsense, the earrings are too much. At the Golden Globes she did so much better.

• Quinn March 3, 2014 at 09:17 #

‘This very dress has been done by just about every designer out there’ – my thought exactly when i first see the picture.

31. Clara March 3, 2014 at 00:41 #

Best dressed so far, simple but lovely and charming, she really looks like Cinderella.

32. EmmaWoodhouse March 3, 2014 at 00:48 #

Definitely a Cinderella moment. The plunging neckline is not to my taste, but the skirt and color are lovely. It’s certainly well-fitted. Her styling is good, I think the headband works. She is glowing in beauty, of course. However, it won’t be on my BDOTY list. I really wish she’d worn the Elie Saab gown FC picked out. However, I’m glad others seem to be pleased!

33. tom March 3, 2014 at 00:49 #

total misstep…great dress wrong person and occasion.

34. Marybeth March 3, 2014 at 00:55 #

Beautiful color. I love the princessy feel of the skirt. Alas, I don’t much like the bodice, nor the headband.
    She looks nice enough but I have to admit I’m disappointed.

35. liz March 3, 2014 at 00:56 #

hate it. so plain. there were SO MANY better gowns she could’ve picked! Blech.

36. Ky • twopretzels.com March 3, 2014 at 00:56 #

In awe. She’s stunning. The headband is fantastic. I love the bodice. I love the flow. All of this is stunning.

37. TL March 3, 2014 at 00:57 #

She looks beautiful and lovely, but i am still disappointed as i expected more from her.

38. Laura March 3, 2014 at 00:59 #

That colour does nothing for her. She looked so great in all the jewel tones she’s been wearing. This is boring.

• Christina March 3, 2014 at 10:17 #

I agree. The pale blue IS a beautiful colour – just not on Lupita. With her gorgeous skintone she can carry off really deep jewel tones, as you say. I also think she’s better suited to more fitted gowns, so all round, I don’t think this is a great choice for Lupita at all.

39. Ysatis March 3, 2014 at 01:03 #

The dress is beautiful although not the most original. She played it safe, she has a good chance of winning the oscar so she chose a timeless look.

40. Alicat March 3, 2014 at 01:33 #

This gown is beautiful in its simplicity. I don’t think the photos do the crystal embellishments justice. It must look amazing when she moves. I am in awe of the way this lady looks so stunning in a multitude of hues. This is more understated than some of her recent choices, but so sophisticated and perfect for the occasion.

41. Peony March 3, 2014 at 01:50 #

This is an incredible look on her, what a dreamy colour. It’s a difficult neckline to pull off but Lupita does it with poise. I love the way it’s been styled too, with the headband and all.

42. Jess2 March 3, 2014 at 02:04 #

Breathtaking. Ethereal. Elegant. Stunning!

43. Sophy March 3, 2014 at 02:22 #

I agree – cinderella at her big ball – lovely!

44. Thomas March 3, 2014 at 02:46 #

One word : Divine.
    Although it is a little underwhelming as compared to the Ralph Lauren number she wore for the GG. She looks flawless with the headband

45. snowlion March 3, 2014 at 03:18 #

So beautiful on stage, with the swish of the gown and the way the headband glittered like a little halo. Lovely.

46. Cássia March 3, 2014 at 03:34 #

Stunning as always and Oscar winning! Love this girl!

47. jessicamarantelli March 3, 2014 at 03:43 #

So I like the colour an cut and the styling but someone has to tell me cause I don’t get it…what’s with all the hype? To me she is a pretty girl who can dress well (minus the shoes) and has great makeup choices but there is something I really dont like about her.

48. Moxie March 3, 2014 at 03:58 #

Absolutely stunning.

49. EmmaWoodhouse March 3, 2014 at 04:00 #

She won! You must be so happy, FC! :)

50. Gabrie1a March 3, 2014 at 04:10 #

Well she just wins everything! Even though that headband doesnt agree with me, looks juvinille, the best dressed for sure

51. amy March 3, 2014 at 04:21 #

It’s a lovely dress but it’s so forgettable and the headband is just ridiculous. it’not a bad look but I expected more. her previous awards looks were better

52. Markness March 3, 2014 at 05:00 #

If you’re going to look at it, it’s a simple design but it was how Lupita carried it. There’s a photo of her that looked gorgeous when she was fluttering around the red carpet. Easily my best dressed and this deserves a spot on BDOTY!

53. Alina March 3, 2014 at 05:41 #

BREATHTAKING.
    Yes, it’s not a very complicated dress, but the colour and the way she carries it make Lupita the best dressed for me.

54. roxana March 3, 2014 at 06:26 #

So, so, so beautiful!

55. Sanya March 3, 2014 at 08:24 #

At first I wasn’t so excited about the look. However, the more I look at it, the more I like it.

56. Valissa March 3, 2014 at 08:33 #

Lupita is not a risk taker and never has been. I’m surprised that so many people are disappointed because it’s “too safe”. She wears safe dresses in rich, vibrant colours and she has the confidence to stand out in them. So I’m not disappoint in the style of dress but I am disappointed in the colour she chose. I wish she had stuck what worked for her so well this award season…a gorgeous colour.
    With that said, it’s not horrible. She still looked amazing and is still one of the best dressed of the night.

• Jai March 3, 2014 at 19:09 #

That’s true. I feel like this woman’s fashion choices have been slightly over-hyped. She’s certainly no Diane Kruger in terms of fashion forward ensembles.

57. Rebecca March 3, 2014 at 09:45 #

Hate it. Her make up looks rushed and overly dewy, definitely not as polished as she always is, whilst the dress is undeniably beautiful, I feel that this is her worst look (for me) to date. It’s not flattering around the neckline or the arms and THAT headband…what’s with that? SO disappointed, perhaps I wouldn’t be, if she wasn’t so flawless every other time.

58. sharizal_samah March 3, 2014 at 11:56 #

yeay

i like the fact that the color is inspired by her native country Nairobi Blue

she looks relaxed and lovely

59. Larissa March 3, 2014 at 12:55 #

So happy she won! She looks lovely and the fabric and colour are to die for. Of course my dream was to see her wearing the Elie Saab gown you picked for her FC!

60. Carol March 3, 2014 at 13:02 #

So i just had to confirm the sky today and so true(had not realized until this). Happy for you and Nairobi misses you too. You look dazzling
    From nbi with love

61. Betelgeuze March 3, 2014 at 13:39 #

Wow.
    My favourite of the event. Have you seen the pictures of the skirt captured in motion? GASP.

62. Derro March 3, 2014 at 14:07 #

She looks heavenly. The headband is perfect.

63. justme March 3, 2014 at 14:51 #

She was nominated for her first Oscar, it makes sense that she wanted to have her princess moment.
    I loved it.

64. Elaine2 March 3, 2014 at 15:28 #

What brings tears to my eyes is that this is too low cut for someone of her build. I have a similar figure and would never in a million years wear such a deep v-neck bodice.

The color and beading are great on her. The headband, NO.

• foteini March 3, 2014 at 15:35 #

• Sabina March 3, 2014 at 16:11 #

I expected so much more. I cannot believe she still wears the terribly unflattering deep V, such a shame! The fabric and colour are too breezy and casual for the Oscars and really don’t suit her. I would have picked something more structured for her.

• Revital March 3, 2014 at 17:25 #

Totally agree with you! I’m flat chested and wouldn’t dream of wearing this dress, as lovely as it is.

65. Revital March 3, 2014 at 17:21 #

Sorry to be a party breaker but am I the only one who thinks this dress looks terrible at the bust area? This is not a dress for a flat chested woman! It is just not flattering , it looks as if a teenaged boy tried his sister’s dress…
    I usually live lupita’s choices and this is such a big disappointment for me.
    The color is beautiful but not enough to save the look!

66. Anne Gallagher March 3, 2014 at 17:31 #

Flawless! She was the belle of the ball. She simply glowed!

67. nomoresnow March 3, 2014 at 18:08 #

This lady can do no wrong. The dress is magnificent and the color is soft and delicate. I hope she gets best dressed. There is nobody else with her style. She’s going to be a big star.

68. Jai March 3, 2014 at 19:06 #

As with Blanchett, I feel like I’ve seen this gown a thousand times before. And I absolutely hate headbands on grown women so can’t get behind the look sorry.

69. Pablo March 3, 2014 at 21:28 #

It was her night and she looked stunning! In my top 3 of the night but not the best!

70. Ziggy March 3, 2014 at 22:13 #

I think the earrings and the headband is competing with each other and I think she should have ditched the earrings because I think the headband adds a touch of romance to the dress. The dress I like but I would have preferred to have a side panelling it.

71. mana March 4, 2014 at 00:02 #

STUNNING. Perfect dress for someone who wins an oscar, I mean those photos are going to be there forever. Excellent choice!

72. Sara March 4, 2014 at 01:46 #

Aside from the color (which looks divine with her skintone) and the styling, this is a tad underwhelming! I much prefer the Prada frock she wore to the afterparty.