Lupita Nyong’o In Ralph Lauren – 2014 Golden Globe Awards

Lupita Nyong’o In Ralph Lauren - 2014 Golden Globe Awards

Lupita Nyong’o was a vision in red at the 2014 Golden Globe Awards, hosted at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California on Sunday (January 12).

The ’12 Years a Slave’ star and supporting actress nominee has also emerged as a new fashion ‘it’ girl, and she didn’t disappoint tonight.

Her off-the-shoulder Ralph Lauren red silk cady cape dress from the Spring 2014 runway had all the drama for which I had hoped—even though I couldn’t help but think of Gwyneth Paltrow’s similar Tom Ford white cape-dress wow moment at the 2012 Oscars.

A few well-placed Fred Leighton jewels, including sparkling stud earrings and cocktail rings, rounded out the look, as a necklace would have ruined the effect.

While I loved the metallic gold eye shadow and the subtle punch of a violet liner under her eyes, not to mention the classic red lip, the more questionable ‘Grace Jones’-inspired ’do also made a repeat appearance.

Did Lupita’s look live up to your expectations?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

83 thoughts on “Lupita Nyong’o In Ralph Lauren – 2014 Golden Globe Awards

1. Angela

I, for one, actually loved the hair when she first debuted it and I still love it here. Overall she looks good, but I can’t help but feel like her style is so unique she could’ve pushed the envelope with a statement belt or something else to give it more personality.

1. Lashae

I agree with this so much. I love the hair then I love it now. Also, maybe she’ll push the envelope at the Oscars.

2. julyol1972

FC! Seeing this vibrant red dress on the carpet was a goosebump-inducing moment for me. She looked impeccable! For once, I did not mind the hair because her head space was unbelievably stunning!!!

My favorite so far!

1. adrian

I, too, adore the natural hair. Much like Viola Davis did last year at the Oscars, it’s so important for little girls everywhere to know they don’t have to have long flowing, blond-highlighted locks down their back and still show style and personality.

1. Serenity

Yes, me too. But I do wish she wouldn’t have gone with this hairstyle. Oh well, how much perfection is too much?

3. Christine

And yes this is basically the red version of Paltrow’s BDOTY worthy Tom Ford but still she looks BDOTW worthy and even BDOTY worthy. Definitely will remember this at the end of the year.

1. Susan N.

+1 I agree about the similarity to Gwyneth’s dress, but I must say that she does simplicity well. The color is stunning.

4. Nat39

YES! She delivered – great colour, sleek silhouette, original structure – a bold dramatic statement. The hairstyle is unfortunate, too bad, but I’m willing to overlook it considering her great gown choice.

1. Nat39

On the 2nd thought, the hairstyle goes perfectly with the sleek lines of the gown.
      She really brought it, an amazing red carpet appearance for Lupita and, hands down, my Best Dressed of the night.

5. Anne Gallagher

This is a gorgeous dress and she looks amazing. I am so happy she kept the jewels to the minimum. So far, she my front runner for best dressed of the week.

6. AnderBoBo

I love this but I feel like it is basically the red version of Gwyneth’s white Tom Ford. Wish she had worn something more special.

1. tuftufwang

I second that. I don’t find it as jaw-dropping as many others have reacted only because Gywneth wore a cape dress first to a red carpet event. It’s already done. She looks good but not exciting. I found Emma Watson’s dress/pants hybrid much more interesting.

7. Marybeth

Beautiful— so striking!
    I love it.

I did not like the asymmetrical version of this hair style that she wore previously but this centered version is okay. I might have preferred something a bit softer but it’s not a deal-breaker for me.

1. Marta

I agree she can do much better, the colour is great on Lupita, but we’ve seen that type of dress before (Gwynnie in white Tom Ford). I’m just little dissapointed, I expected something more like ‘go big or go home’, sorry.

8. David

Look more magical on the model. The long flowly hair and her English rose skin tone make the dress look regal on the model

1. Kathy

Racist? Saying that a certain color looks better on one skin tone than another is racist? Wow, I guess I better watch out next time someone tells me my complexion is too warm for rose gold eye shadow.

9. David

Looks better on the model. The model has gorgeous Englis rose complexion and long flowly hair, this, making her look regal. The model is drop dead gorgeous.

1. Tina

I don’t understand your objection…are you saying that simply because the model is Caucasian, she’s wearing the dress better? It’s not even a case where a dress is clashing with the skintone/hair color, so I find your comment rather insulting.

2. Prudence

im sorry she is not white and there for can possibly not make this work for her………WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU

10. Valissa

Simply gorgeous!! And I haven’t even jumped on the Lupita bandwagon…I feel like her style is slightly over-rated most of the time but I do adore this!!
    The red is so striking and she just looks incredible!!

11. Mol

I think the hair works with the lean geometry of the dress, the fit is perfect, the color amazing, I’m on board with her cheering squad,

12. Dita

This is a bit lacklustre compared to her previous runs, I have to admit. She looks drop dead gorgeous though, not many can pull that kind of dress! A slight tweak in the styling could really help lift the whole look. A pair or ear cuffs or a bejewelled hair band, perhaps?

1. Nat39

I don’t know why everyone keeps mentioning Gwyneth’s Oscars look, it’s an entirely different look, didn’t think of it for a second. It’s actually Zhang Ziyi’s caped off-the-shoulder red Valentino dress that came to mind instantly, exactly (although it doesn’t diminish Lupita’s look whatsoever).

1. Serenity

I agree, just because it’s a lon, caped dress doesn’t make it the same. I didn’t think of it either until reading the comments.

13. AG

LOVE this! Not bothered by the fact that it’s reminiscent of Gwyneth. I think this is actually better. I like how the cape is more subtle because of the off the shoulder style. And the colour is sensational against her amazing skin!

14. Markness

I think the dress is okay. It’s just that Gwyneth and Zhang Ziyi already wowed us with this type of dresses that Lupita kinda pales in comparison despite the radiant color. And the hair is not doing her any favors. It’s an ok for me. Will wait for the other gowns she will wear.

1. Quinn

‘Gwyneth and Zhang Ziyi already wowed us with this type of dresses that Lupita kinda pales in comparison…’ – my thought exactly. Still stunning though!

15. Prudence

EVERYONE ELSE CAN GO HOME NOW BECAUSE SHE JUST KILLED IT. OMG THAT COLOR ! THAT CAPE! AND YES EVEN THAT HAIR!!!!

16. Cindy

My best dressed of the night along with Naomi Watts and Emma Watson. Other favorites were Margot Robbie and Olivia Wilde. Honorable mention, Cate Blanchett and Amy Poehler. Worst dressed goes to Paula Patton, Berenice Bojo and Heidi Klum.

17. Alina

Possibly my best dressed of the night. She just killed it!

I really liked Jennifer Lawrence in ‘American Hustle’, but Lupita was SPECTACULAR in ’12 Years a Slave’. I’m really sad she didn’t win.

18. yesferdinand

BDOTY COTENDER!
    I appreciate that she tailored the gown to be flatter her figure. It makes a really significant difference from the runway version. And I’m actually love the hair! It’s working for me.

This women are the reason why I love award season. SO AMAZING. BEYOND!

19. Tamara

I know, I couldn’t believe she didn’t win! Hopefully this is just a classic case of the Globes picking the most popular star over the best actor (NOT that J-Law wasn’t great in Hustle, but this award belongs to Lupita this year) and the rest of the shows will rightfully honour Lupita.

1. Serenity

IMBO, this fashion moment stands on its own-no derivation, no deja-vu. It’s all Lupita, and it’s sensational!

In addition, that hairstyle has quickly grown on me.

Perfect, BDOTE, BDOTW, BDOTY-worthy look!!!

20. Aline

A gasp fell from my lips the moment I saw her. Lupita took my breath away. I don’t think I can put in words how enamoured by this look I am. She looks drop dead gorgeous and this feels like such a huge fashion moment. A BDOTY contender, no doubt.

21. Tess

She looks great but would have liked more of a BANG moment for a major awards show, on other occasions she’s given me chills, she’s set her own bar high and this is just ‘nice’ for me. Bring on the Oscars!

22. Jess2

AMAZING!!! She looks amazing and I have absolutely no problem with her hair. Such a gorgeous colour on her.

23. Noemi

One of my favorite of the night. The dress is simply beautiful and classy. I’m not crazy about the hair, but I don’t mind. I also like the simple styling.

24. sara

I love it, but i don’t LOVE it. She looks beautiful, I couldn’t stop staring at her face. However, I expected a bit more from her. Great color, but not in shock over this looks as I have been over many of her others. Hopefully she will go BIG for the oscars.

25. Jai

This was a really strong fashion globes in my opinion but her look was the best. Amazing. The fact that it’s not an original style (no doubt this is Ford/Paltrow derivative) takes the shine off slightly, but it’s still a knock out.

26. Dhppy

The moment I saw her, I thought, “Well, she just shut the whole thing down!” The only person who came remotely close to her was Cate Blanchett. Everyone else was background.