22.02.13 Advertising

First Look: Jennifer Lawrence’s Miss Dior Campaign

memo-dior02

With the Academy Awards just around the corner, Dior has released the first set of pictures of Jennifer Lawrence’s Miss Dior Campaign.

The Oscar nominated actress for ‘Sliver Linings Playbook’, was shot by Willy Vanderperre wearing pieces from the Spring 2013 collection.

Glamorously showcasing both blue and rose-pink Miss Dior chain-accented bags, the other two black-and-white images are close up beauty shots.

I’m very impressed with this campaign so-far. As you know I haven’t been the biggest champion of the Lawrence-Dior collabo, but I have to eat my words on this occasion.

memo-dior01

Credit: WWD

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 Brit Awards?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 Brit Awards?

Sarah Jessica Parker's Isabel Marant 'Basley' Perforated Wedge Boots

Sarah Jessica Parker’s Isabel Marant ‘Basley’ Perforated Wedge Boots

60 Responses to First Look: Jennifer Lawrence’s Miss Dior Campaign

1. Niya February 22, 2013 at 06:16 #

As much as I like these shots, the photoshop has gone a little far. She’s not entirely recognizable and they’ve unnecessarily skinnied her down.

• Ludmila February 22, 2013 at 10:53 #

+ 1

• Rahel February 22, 2013 at 11:34 #

I disagree. She looks exactly the same like she always does.

• Daniel February 22, 2013 at 12:27 #

I am with you here. She looks EXACTLY the same , face and body.

• Carmen February 22, 2013 at 12:34 #

Agree with your whole comment

• Emily February 22, 2013 at 14:19 #

God save the Photoshop.

• juliana February 22, 2013 at 18:19 #

yep, she’s way more curvy than that.

2. sarah February 22, 2013 at 06:19 #

she looks lovely. :)

3. Yeliz February 22, 2013 at 06:21 #

I like these pictures too, but I’m still not into the Dior-Lawrence collaboration because of her several red carpet failures.

• Christine February 22, 2013 at 13:52 #

+1 beautiful campaign but I agree.

• Anita February 22, 2013 at 15:20 #

Totally agree. In print its great, she looks stunning. But irl it just doesn’t work for me at all. Hopefully it was just teething problems and she wows us at the Oscars and beyond.

• NooG February 23, 2013 at 07:21 #

4. Catherine February 22, 2013 at 06:27 #

These campaign shots are beautiful.
    However I dislike her involvement with Dior because of what has happened to her red carpet style!!

5. jeremyrain February 22, 2013 at 06:36 #

Jesus, do they have to replace Jennifer’s body to a completely different one? She’s a beauty of her own and her body is perfectly fine. Plus her personality is amazing. I’d rather see her being an unique one of her own than some Hollywood skinny clones like many others.

• adrian February 22, 2013 at 21:04 #

+1- the photo-shopping is quite a disappointment

• Mandy February 22, 2013 at 23:46 #

Its probably just the way the veil cuts under her chin but it looks like they have extended her neck in the second picture.

6. Joy February 22, 2013 at 06:45 #

Uh, it looks nothing like her? I guess the pictures are nice and all but I just don’t get the collaboration, and then when you come out with the ad campaign it look nothing like Jennifer. Bizarre. My love for Dior does not falter however.

7. msd February 22, 2013 at 07:38 #

Why oh why have they take a young woman with a perfectly healthy bodyweight and deliberately shrunken her body? They’ve also sucked most of the personality out of her ….

8. Teleholic February 22, 2013 at 07:39 #

Gorgeous. I don’t like the red carpet collaboration which might fall on the styling, but the ad campaign is flawless.

9. Angie February 22, 2013 at 08:04 #

This colaboration works in the photoshoot much better than on the RC. The shots are beautiful and elegant, but I don’t think that Jen’s personality is shown in these photos. Plus, her body has been heavily photoshopped, and there was no need IMO. Why Dior chooses a curvy testimonial with a funny and playful personality and transforms her in something else? This photoshoot is totally Dior but absolutely not Jen, which proves to me that Jennifer and Dior are not the best choose one for each other.

• Rashmi February 22, 2013 at 10:20 #

+1. Agree on all!

• Rahel February 22, 2013 at 11:36 #

Why do they have to be like Jen? She has to show Dior and it’s all about the product and it works. Who would have known it?

• a February 22, 2013 at 12:26 #

Of course, you’re right, it’s all about the product. This is the main reason why I find this collaboration wrong. I think they had to pick someone who embodies the spirit of the brand, not choose someone completely different and change everything to make it work. Jennifer is a beautiful curvy bombshell with a witty and hilarious personality, but looking at these pics I don’t see that. I see a thin and sophisticated brunette. So, why don’t choose a girl who is a sophisticated thin brunette from the beginning? And honestly, on the RC this colaboration is not doing any favour to both Jen and the product (even if I think in this case her stylist has a part of fault).

• Angie February 22, 2013 at 16:32 #

Of course, it’s all about the product, I can understend what you think. But this is the reason why I think they should have pick someone who embodies the spirit of the brand. I can’t see the point of picking a 22 years-old curvy bombshell and turn her in a sophisticated thirty-something-look-alike thin lady. And why a brand should have such a famous testimonial and don’t let her personality shine through the photos? They could have pick just an anonymous model. And honestly, I don’t think this collaboration on the RC is doing any favour to both Jennifer and the product (even if I think this is in good part her stylist’s fault). As much as she looks beautiful in these pics, she’s not herself, and the same thing happens on the RC.

• Roberta February 22, 2013 at 22:31 #

Maybe she should dress like a cheerleader and have a burguer in her hand in order to apease the middle american/ proletarian taste…

• Angie February 23, 2013 at 11:48 #

So do you translate “22 years-old curvy bombshell” into ” …cheerleader and have a burguer in her hand in order to apease the middle american/ proletarian taste…”?? You have a lot of imagination!
            Neither during the THG promo tour nor in the red Kalvin Klein oscars dress she was dressed like a middle american/proletarian cheerleeder but she looked beautiful, stylish ,fresh, as she is.

• Roberta February 23, 2013 at 16:30 #

But NOW she is representing DIOR, que quintessence of parisian chic and elegance , therefore she must embody the codes of the house. She is an actress playing a role. She is NOT playing Jennifer here.
              Besides that I do stand for my words. Everything that slightly escape of middle Alabama s taste is object of criticism in this site. People should use internet to open their minds and not being obtuse in their views. ” Oh she is an american bombshell…” well, perhaps she wants to change people s opinion on her. A serious actor today doesnt want to be seen as a bimbo.

• Angie February 23, 2013 at 19:09 #

On the RC she represents herself, not a role, and I never talked about the relation between her being american and Dion being not. And lately I loved her in Prabal Gurung, Emilio Pucci, Stella McCartney, which definetly are not brands that suit the middle Alabama’s taste.
                But well, it’s clear enough we don’t understand each other, which is not a problem. I don’t want to argue with someone just for having different opinions on fashion. At least we agree on one point: people should not be obtuse and should open their mind and try to really understand others point of view.

10. ash February 22, 2013 at 08:29 #

wow, photoshop is girls’ best friend.

11. unvacuous February 22, 2013 at 08:42 #

I don’t understand why they made the naturally tan, curvey, blonde Jennifer Lawrence unrecognizable as a pale severe brunette.

Or better yet, why didn’t they just get Rooney Mara? Glancing at the photos that’s who I would have guessed it was.

• gurlygurl February 22, 2013 at 19:50 #

How true! She does look so much like Rooney Mara here! In terms of Photoshop, I’m surprised people have not seen he dramatic weight loss on the red carpet. The campaign is beautiful nonetheless . I thought she was fine before though.

• sapril February 23, 2013 at 21:16 #

Jennifer Lawrence is curvy?

12. Jai February 22, 2013 at 09:17 #

This is nice enough but it isn’t her. They have photoshopped her body excessively. They’re trying to provoke an aura of Parisian elegance when she’s a blonde American. Don’t like it.

13. Lee Ann February 22, 2013 at 10:06 #

To me Jennifer Lawrence is a lovely American girl and embodies Ralph Lauren/Calvin Klein(if you stick to the traditional heritage brands)more than she does Dior. In real life she is incapatable with most of the Dior looks she wears.
    So why hire her and then photoshop her to death to make it work?
    I do not understand this marriage?
    By the way the black dress in the last picture is devine , the workmanship is incredable.

• Fiona-Brasil February 22, 2013 at 12:28 #

• FC310 February 23, 2013 at 00:41 #

14. justme February 22, 2013 at 10:12 #

They’ve photoshopped her face beyond belief but that’s Dior for you. I’m still mad at what they did/do to Monica Belluci’s campaigns.

15. Princess Chi Chi February 22, 2013 at 10:25 #

No personality at all.

16. Kathy February 22, 2013 at 11:09 #

I really like these shots, the first two in particular. But can I just point out that I don’t think they’ve photoshopped Jennifer to make her look thinner than she is? She HAS been looking thinner on the red carpet lately too. I mean, she hardly look skeletal, but she has lost weight and these pictures aren’t that far of a stretch. Also, lighting, posture, and angle of the pictures may very well make her face look a bit strange, but again I don’t really think it is over-photoshopped.

• Ashley A. February 22, 2013 at 15:51 #

I agree! I don’t think her body has been photoshopped. I think she has lost weight due to the fact she has been sick.

17. mmaWoodhouse February 22, 2013 at 12:11 #

Very chic, especially the first and last photos. Let’s hope she looks fab for the Oscars!

18. kane February 22, 2013 at 12:50 #

Pretty pictures per se, but they feel hollow to me. Jennifer Lawrence & Dior just doesn’t seem to be the right fit.

19. Anne February 22, 2013 at 13:02 #

These photographs are absolutely lovely. What I think these show is that Dior *can* work for Lawrence. Is it the most natural fit? No, I agree that it is not. But, fashion can be about challenging yourself outside your comfort zone. I think the pieces they chose for this campaign are true to what works best on Jen- simplicity & classicism. These pictures tell me that the RC issues have largely been about styling and fit. And that is on Ms. Zoe.

And I disagree with the cries of over-photoshop.

• Kathy February 22, 2013 at 15:45 #

+1000000 I was strongly opposed to the idea of Jennifer working with Dior at first, but I’ve realized that she is far too young to have too strict a set of rules about how she should dress. Ad campaigns ARE about taking on different character roles, after all, so in a way they are like acting. Just like beauty brand spokespeople can’t be expected to use all of that brand’s products exclusively, all the time, the face of a handbag line isn’t confined to just wearing the designer’s clothes.

20. dee February 22, 2013 at 13:05 #

I just don’t see her as a Dior girl.

21. gabis February 22, 2013 at 14:17 #

I dislike this all the way. So much photoshop that her face is barely recognizable in some of this pictures.
    I agree with @Princess Chi Chi, it lacks personality. I can easily picture a mannequin replacing Jennifer Lawrence in the campaign.

• Kathy February 22, 2013 at 15:48 #

Really? It’s probably just the slicked-back hair that’s throwing you off. Photoshop doesn’t seem to be the issue here. I know everyone is commenting that Jennifer doesn’t look like herself, but somehow I recognize her just fine. And I’m usually very nit-picky about bad Photoshop.

22. gabis February 22, 2013 at 14:18 #

*these pictures

23. Amy February 22, 2013 at 16:56 #

great pictures but wow they really slimmed her down which is sad considering how much she talks about hollywood putting her in the “fat” catalogue.
    Anyway nice campaign, way better than Mila’s

24. tom February 22, 2013 at 16:58 #

they’re nice pics but they need to lay off the photoshop…they shaved off a good 25 pound…and she’s not fat…not regular fat…i guess she’s fashion fat.

25. Pedro February 22, 2013 at 17:31 #

Wow!

Flawless

26. arang February 22, 2013 at 17:59 #

I don’t know what’s photoshopping or lighting here, but I do agree that she doesn’t look at all like herself. She looks stunning, but there’s none of that bouncy, uninhibited, joie de vivre that comes across in her interviews. It’s ok to explore other aspects of your personality as you grow, but I don’t think that’s what’s going on. She looks too uncomfortable on the RC for that, suggesting that Dior and her are simply not a comfortable fit in spirit. Which really is contradictory advertising.

27. robert February 22, 2013 at 20:44 #

Her face is just so average and plain. Someone like Rachel Weisz would be better.

28. Prudence February 22, 2013 at 22:46 #

im sorry but even in these shots im thinking WTF?! like this is not for her AT ALL. Im hoping this last a very short time.

29. pipsqueak February 23, 2013 at 01:34 #

I love Jennifer but I’m not convinced a bit that she’s a Dior girl. These images are rather manufactured. She’s just used to sell an aristocratic brand at the malls across America. Fashion made less intimidating. Are we that unimaginative? Can we not find another designer that suits Jennifer’s persona?

30. Sara February 23, 2013 at 11:27 #

They’ve actually photoshopped the face out of her face.

31. Linda February 23, 2013 at 23:19 #

Pretty pictures! She looks elegant. My only complaint is the Photoshopping of her arms and breast. It definitely slimmed her down a bit which was unnecessary.

32. Beta February 25, 2013 at 11:21 #

I like these shotes, specially with the first one. But agree with you guys that she doesn’t fit the brand as Marion Cotillard does. I prefer JLaw when she goes for edgier-younger looks

33. Noey February 25, 2013 at 23:54 #

Honnestly, I’d never recognize her. I love the pictures, BUT if I saw them without knowing it was Jennifer Lawrence, I never could guess.

(Sorry for my awful english, but I’m french and english isn’t very easy to me x))

34. Judy February 28, 2013 at 08:53 #

The Daily Mail Online has black & white shots of her at the shoot with people fussing over her. what caught my eye was the change of her hands. In the color shots, she has slender fingers with long nails, not so in the black & whites. She is a beautiful young woman with lots of personality flowing, too bad that’s not enough for Dior.