Katy Perry In Elie Saab Couture – 2012 MTV Video Music Awards

A gimmick-free Katy Perry took to the red carpet at the 2012 MTV Music Video Awards in California on Thursday evening.

Usually the singer aims to shock us in an over-the-top elaborate look for these events, but like Miley Cyrus, Katy opted for gothic-glamour.

Katy glided down the red carpet wearing an Elie Saab Fall 2004 gown from the designer’s archives.

Her stunning black gown with teal-and-fuchsia sequin floral embroidery also has a black leather bodice with a bow accent.

Keeping her makeup surprisingly simple, Katy completed her look with lovely dark raven wavy locks.

This look is definitely in her hall of red-carpet fame.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Jamie Chung In Pamella, Pamella Roland - 'Sin City: A Dame To Kill For' LA Premiere

Jamie Chung In Pamella, Pamella Roland – ‘Sin City: A Dame To Kill For’ LA Premiere

Rihanna In Adam Selman - 2012 MTV Video Music Awards

Rihanna In Adam Selman – 2012 MTV Video Music Awards

30 Responses to Katy Perry In Elie Saab Couture – 2012 MTV Video Music Awards

1. PePe September 7, 2012 at 05:41 #

OMG , really? , that dress looks so cheap and tacky to be a Elie Saab

• Martin September 7, 2012 at 06:16 #

Totally agree. This dress is truly hideous – the cacophony of clashing colour on the sheer skirt is beyond tacky and the cheap-looking leather on the bodice makes no sense whatsoever. I’m thinking this dress should have been left to wallow away in Saab’s archives. Certainly not one of his finest moments.

• Vidhya September 7, 2012 at 06:18 #

Totally agree. I was shocked when I saw that this was Elie Saab. The sheer curtain trend has come and gone and the bust is pretty ill fitting.

• Ahot September 7, 2012 at 20:16 #

it´s not the dress! It´s the wearer. Katy IS tacky. She cheapens couture big time. & this is no exception.

• noo September 8, 2012 at 09:06 #

I don’t think it’s tacky but it’s a bit dated and her hair cheapens it somehow. the look is very ho-hum imo!

2. Christine September 7, 2012 at 05:44 #

Katy can do Classy, Kooky, Silly, Sexy and Casual. Respect to her for selecting a look from the archives! But the bow is throwing me off.

And wow look how far Elie Saab have come? At quick glance, I would never had guess this was a Elie creation.

3. Joy September 7, 2012 at 05:55 #

Lovely. Breathtaking. Beautiful. I always love it when people bring back dresses “from the vault”. On a night when nobody really stood out, besides Pink and Miley’s hair this dress stands out and is in a class by it’s self.

4. R September 7, 2012 at 06:01 #

She looks lovely–how nice to see her just looking pretty. Gorgeous dress.

5. Mafalda Pires September 7, 2012 at 06:18 #

I love the dress!!!

6. Jess2 September 7, 2012 at 06:25 #

She looks beautiful. The girls have been bringing many surprises at this event :)

7. Laura September 7, 2012 at 06:41 #

GORGEOUS!

BDOTW contender, definitely

8. ashley September 7, 2012 at 07:10 #

i feel like i’m the only one that doesn’t like this look. i feel like the dress does nothing for her… but the hair and make up are beautiful.

• CreoleLady September 7, 2012 at 11:46 #

No, you are not the only one. From the neck up, love. This dress could have stayed in the archives — I dislike the fabric, colors and fit intensely.

9. Alina September 7, 2012 at 07:23 #

Love it! That’s why I just can’t understand her when she wears tacky outfits.

• Andrea September 7, 2012 at 08:45 #

Yes! And tacky make up.

On this event its clearly better than usual. I thank Kate and her stylist for this rare and welcome sight. You look great, Kate!

10. alex September 7, 2012 at 08:17 #

she looks so much better with long raven hair than all the kooky colours

11. Yeliz September 7, 2012 at 08:48 #

The bow accent is bothering me too much and I would have never thought that this is a Elie Saab gown.

12. Lalitha September 7, 2012 at 09:40 #

Elie Saab? Really, I would have never guessed as it’s quite a departure from his usual efforts but then I suppose it was part of his evolution as a designer since it’s from 2004. I may not like the dress at all but I do like it on Katy; the leather bodice and the sheer skirt is perfect for her! I prefer her in simple, dark wavy locks.

13. TL September 7, 2012 at 09:50 #

I like her wavy hair style and hair length, she definitely looks better and prettier in long hair and light makeups.

14. Linda September 7, 2012 at 10:31 #

This is the first time in a long time I’ve found an Eli Saab dress even remotely interesting.
    I love the long black hair.

15. msd September 7, 2012 at 10:31 #

I’m sorry, I agree with the majority here. This is an awful, awful dress – so cheap and tacky looking …. Thank God he doesn’t design like this anymore!

16. Jones19 September 7, 2012 at 12:05 #

How brilliant is it that she went into the Elie Saab archives?? LOVE IT! I love my quirky and fun Katy too though :)

17. EmmaWoodhouse September 7, 2012 at 12:29 #

Elie Saab has definitely improved. This dress is more elegant than a lot of what Katy wears, but it looks a bit like something you could buy at a prom store. I wish that the skirt was lined. I certainly appreciate the effort, but overall I don’t love the look.

18. Felicia September 7, 2012 at 15:48 #

1) I am SO glad she stopped treating her hair like a colouring book and dyed it back to normal! :)

2) Snaps to her for taking a bit of a chance with the dress!! It’s an amazing gown but I don’t like it on her. I would’ve loved it on Amy (the lead singer of Evanesence)… Random choice.

3) Her hair should be up but I still do like the way it is

19. justme September 7, 2012 at 18:42 #

Against my better judgment, I like this. Her hair should have been styled a different way though.

20. Nat39 September 7, 2012 at 20:05 #

Thought it was Fan Bing Bing for a moment.
    Horrible dress.

21. tiffany September 7, 2012 at 22:08 #

while I can’t say I like it, I think I respect the bold choice. I don’t know how to feel

22. Parvati September 7, 2012 at 23:07 #

I love it when celebrities wear gowns from the archives! Katy looks absolutely beautiful here! I find the leather part of the dress a bit odd, but she looks fantastic, anyway.

23. Cindy September 8, 2012 at 05:01 #

I’m indifferent towards KP, but the whole look just looks heavy despite the sheer bottom.

24. sanya September 9, 2012 at 19:46 #

I have to say that I like this combination on her. She looks nice, but I do think that her hair should be different. My opinion is that hair dyed in black looks bad and not shiny.