David and Samantha Cameron are currently in the US on a three-day visit, so of course they caught up with the Obamas.

It’s always a magic moment for me when Samantha Cameron and Michelle Obama meet as they dress to impress without trying to upstage each other.

Earlier today at the official welcoming ceremony at the White House in Washington, DC, both ladies wore looks from their respective countries.

Samantha wore a Roksanda Ilincic tri-colour half-sleeve dress with an Emilia Wickstead navy belt and LK Bennett blue suede pumps.

Michelle complemented the PM’s wife by wearing a Zac Posen light-blue dress with a matching jacket for the occasion.

I love her silver pumps, they remind me of a pair I have been eyeing up in Zara.

Both women look amazing, but without bias, I’m going to give this fashion face-off to Sam Cam.

Her look feels fresher and less ‘ladies-who-lunch’ in comparison to Mrs O.

Whose look do you prefer?

Samantha’s Roksanda Ilincic dress is available to purchase from Browns Fashion.

Credit: PA

27 thoughts on “Samantha Cameron In Roksanda Ilincic & Michelle Obama In Zac Posen – White House Official Welcoming Ceremony

1. AW

I do too. American First Lady’s (especially Mrs. Obama) are held to a stricter standard for official events so I understand why she went the conservative route. It’s a beautiful suit.

1. tiffany nicole

I think you’re right fc. both look great, but Sam Cam’s (as you say) look has more individual style.

2. Rachel

I’m with you, FC – as much as I love Michelle (truly!), she usually wears much less “dowdy” looks. Of course, dowdy for Mrs. O is still a huge step up from what we used to expect from our first ladies (and not just in terms of fashion…)! We’re lucky to have such a smart, thoughtful, independent woman in that role.

3. bm

I’ll give this to Samantha Cameron too. The dress are really eye-popping. I just like Michelle’s dress.

4. Loulou

They really do compliment each other really well.Samantha Cameron has really stood out to
    Me since the royal wedding for as for me she was best dressed there and has continued to impress.

5. couturecoco

I like both looks and they chose well for themselves. However, as it is a formal occasion, I feel Sam’s outfit is just a tad too casual and too trendy – I know, can’t believe I said that – so I must give credit to MO for her beautifully fitted dress and jacket with gorgeous details and cut. I am loving the slightly longer length skirt on her as my pet peeve used to be the shorter length she usually wears.

6. Marybeth

I’m going to call this a draw.
    Yes, I much prefer Mrs. Cameron’s dress, but I’ll give Mrs. O. some extra points for propriety. As hostess, she shouldn’t be too flashy or attention-grabbing. Let the guest be the one to shine.
    So I’ll give both ladies high marks!

7. Jeremy

I love Michelle Obama’s style not because of the designers’ name she wore. But she wears such clothes with great confidence, relaxation while still maintains an attitude of a First Lady. Even Cindy McCain’d wore Prada, I wouldn’t have loved it as much as I love this.

8. Ella

I would have expected Michelle to be in Sam Cam’s dress =) So, obviously, I give it to the visiting Samantha!

9. Sophie

Mrs O’s suit is more formal then Sam Cam’s dress but both women look great – their colours work well together – I wonder if the consulted with each other prior to getting ready…

10. Ginger

I would be thrilled to be as stylish and polished as either. lady! Both are wearing enviable outfits

11. Thu

Sam Cameromn always looks amazing. Stylish, yet appropriate.
    I prefer her style over Catherine the Duchess too.

12. manja

I just realised I don’t like any of Roksanda Ilincic designes,always look unfinised to me.So MO gets my vote.

13. beta

I am a HUGE fan of Michelle Obama’s style and this is no exception. She wears the hell out of every outfit!! :D
    Samantha looks great and I love she’s a bit daring fashion-wise (in the politics area).
    I still prefer Michelle because I love a well cut suit :)

14. Amy

SamCam has an amzing style. That woman is always chic. I love the color so she wins here but Mrs O isn’t bad .