Menu

May 18, 2020

Emmy Rossum’s Top 10 Red Carpet Looks

Emmy Rossum In Monique Lhuillier – ‘Project Runway’ Taping

I have a list a mile long of celebrities I want to cover when it comes to their Top 10 looks.

My wpm (words per minute) increases on my keyboard when it comes to a celebrity I really admire.  In this case it’s Emmy Rossum.

If you think this Top 10 is going to be full of gowns (Carolina Herrera mostly), you’re half right, because Emmy has also given us some gorgeous tailored moments.

This top 10 was harder than Zendaya’s. Because Emmy is one of the most consistent (and underrated) style stars to grace the red carpet.

1. Emmy Rossum in Monique Lhuillier – ‘Project Runway’ Taping

Emmy has had some gorgeous gowns as this list will showcase, but this Monique Lhuillier dress is in my top three Emmy Rossum looks, and there wasn’t a red carpet in sight.

Yes, the hot-pink hue is a big drawn, but the sexy yet sophisticated design can’t be denied.

Nina Dobrev wore this same dress in blue, but didn’t have the same dynamic impact.

Emmy Rossum in Donna Karan Atelier – 2013 Met Gala

2. Emmy Rossum in Donna Karan Atelier – 2013 Met Gala

How does Emmy do punk for the 2013 Met Gala’s Punk: Chaos to Couture?

In Donna Karan Atelier of course.  The semi-sheer gown may not have instantly lived up to the expectations of the theme, but this was Emmy’s interpretation of a punk princess with a braided faux-hawk and smoldering eye makeup.

Emmy Rossum In Carolina Herrera – 2013 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

3. Emmy Rossum in Carolina Herrera – 2013 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

This Carolina Herrera look is easily my second favourite.

It’s not just down to the constellation-print, or breezy lightweight nature of this gown.

The Old Hollywood wavy locks and drop earrings play their part too. Emmy was simply stunning on this occasion.

This was a beautiful modern fairy-tale moment.

Emmy Rossum In Carolina Herrera – ‘Persol Magnificent Obsessions: 30 Stories Of Craftsmanship In Film’ Opening

4. Emmy Rossum in Carolina Herrera – ‘Persol Magnificent Obsessions: 30 Stories Of Craftsmanship In Film’ Opening

When you see Anna Kendrick (in Chaiken) and Zosia Mamet (in vintage Stone Fox Bride) at this event, you may feel that Emmy Rossum was a little overdressed.

But I’ll take overdressed if the outcome is as breath-taking as this. I adore the lift this look gets with the touches of red.

Carolina Herrera and Emmy Rossum have always been a match made in fashion heaven.

Emmy Rossum in Monique Lhuillier – 2014 Critics’ Choice Television Awards

5. Emmy Rossum in Monique Lhuillier – 2014 Critics’ Choice Television Awards

In terms of glamour, some might find this muted compared to the the others on this list, but Emmy’s presentation was utter perfection proving that less is more.

For me, this is all about the colour combo, as it gives my happy, nostalgic vibes.

Cameron Diaz (in Dior) gets a lot of credit for this at the 2007 Met Gala, but it was actually Sarah Jessica Parker who was the first to blessed us with this combo on the red carpet for the 2003 ‘Sex And The City’ premiere wearing YSL.

Jessica Chastain (in Oscar de la Renta) has also given us this combo at the ‘Help’ LA premiere.

Emmy Rossum In Donna Karan Atelier – 17th Costume Designers Guild Awards

6. Emmy Rossum in Donna Karan Atelier – 17th Costume Designers Guild Awards

Oh how I do miss Donna Karan Atelier.

This blush-pink gown is very tricky to pull off, especially with Emmy’s milky complexion, but Donna Karan nailed this shade for her.  Emmy’s raven locks played a part here too.

With a slicked-back ‘do there was no distractions.  Just a diamond drop earrings to add some dazzle to the overall inner and outer glow.

Emmy Rossum In Carolina Herrera – Botanical Garden’s Conservatory Ball

7. Emmy Rossum in Carolina Herrera – Botanical Garden’s Conservatory Ball

And for my favourite Emmy Rossum look, I give you this dramatic cloud print Carolina Herrera gown.

For a Botanical Garden’s Conservatory Ball you would’ve expected florals, but how groundbreaking would that have been?

Between her timeless beauty and elegance, this is her Cate Blanchett in Christian Lacroix Haute Couture, Zendaya in Moschino and Emma Stone in Thakoon moment.

Unbeatable and Iconic.

This look was fit for a royal.

Emmy Rossum In Carolina Herrera – 2017 Met Gala

8. Emmy Rossum in Carolina Herrera – 2017 Met Gala

The 2017 Met Gala theme was ‘Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between.’

This Carolina Herrera look was a beautiful marriage of drama and refinement, masculine and feminine; presenting a truly understated and chic look.

We had become so used to seeing her in a gown, that we were willing to forgive Emmy for not nailing the theme.

Emmy Rossum In Zac Posen – 2017 Emmy Awards

9. Emmy Rossum in Zac Posen – 2017 Emmy Awards

And here it is once again.  That Old Hollywood glamour that she does so effortlessly.

The M.O. might be on repeat, but the style, styling and presentation isn’t in the Zac Posen gown.

Here she was serving up my second favourite combo: a black gown with emerald earrings à la Angelina Jolie at the 2009 Oscars.

This ties second place with her 2013 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards gown.

Emmy Rossum In Monique Lhuillier – 2019 Golden Globe Awards

10. Emmy Rossum in Monique Lhuillier – 2019 Golden Globe Awards

The actress gave us a pure unadulterated fairytale fantasy this Monique Lhuillier tulle confection.

She was looking every inch an ethereal goddess here.

You don’t need many jewels when you are the a jewel.

Credit: Getty, Barcroft Media & BFA/Carolina Herrera

The Future of Luxury Fashion: Discuss

The Future of Luxury Fashion: Discuss

Olivia Culpo Celebrates Her 28th Birthday In Retrofête

Olivia Culpo Celebrates Her 28th Birthday In Retrofête

14 Responses to Emmy Rossum’s Top 10 Red Carpet Looks

1. Johanna May 20, 2020 at 5:59 pm #

Thanks for this list, I love it! She is by far my red carpet favorite. Always classy and stylish. Yes, it might seem safe to some at times, but her looks never seem contrived or attention seeking in a desperate way like some. I wish we’d see more of her. Also she has great side-walk style.

2. Isabela May 19, 2020 at 11:54 pm #

I love her so much! I love all of these looks, but i think that her “Emmy Rossum in Monique Lhuillier – ‘Project Runway’ Taping” is my favorite, because is one that i never forgot about.

3. The original AB May 19, 2020 at 7:09 pm #

So hard to pick a favourite! I love the fact that she always makes an effort, she never has an off day

FC can you please do a top 10 for Halle Berry and Jennifer Lopez.

4. Kat May 19, 2020 at 12:21 pm #

LOVE. I vote her most consistent at the end of each year. My favourite is the starry-midnight Carolina Herrera. Must have been so hard to narrow this down. I also adored:

What a superstar

Cate Blanchett takes more risks (and when she wins, she wins HUGE), but Emmy would have my highest average score over the past decade. She never puts a fashion foot wrong. Bravo!

5. Sharon M May 19, 2020 at 11:34 am #

Wow! I just can’t pick a favorite…each look you presented just proves that Emmy is a pro when it comes to picking great looks and wearing them to perfection!

6. Martijn May 19, 2020 at 9:31 am #

This is like choosing who’s your favourite child… She’s always so well dressed, not only the clothes, but also the way she’s wearing them! I’m torn between 3, 8 and 9, but to be honest, a Top 10 does not even cover her amazing style!

Thanks Catherine for keeping up the work during these times! Visiting the website provides a great escape from reality! Hope you stay safe and healthy!

7. TeaAtTwo May 19, 2020 at 6:56 am #

The Donna Karan at the Guild Awards is only that I’m not fond of. The colour is fine but something about the awkward crossed straps, the cut of the bodice at the chest and the whole of the gown seems rather blah.

8. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang May 19, 2020 at 5:26 am #

Emmy Tossing is my all time favorite girl crush, and definitely a fashion icon of her generation. Classically feminine with a touch of edgy twist, Emmy really keeps us guessing with her next red carpet move. She should’ve won an Emmy Awards for her role in Shameless, but I’m shamelessly mesmerized by her exquisite beauty and impeccable red carpet choices. Well done Emmy, please tram up with Rachel McAdams for a movie please, it would be a dream come true for me!!

9. jessmara May 19, 2020 at 4:27 am #

She is so underrated but such a fantastic presence on the red carpet. Emmy and Caroline Herrera are a match made in heaven but so hard to pick a favorite.

Also – what happened to the sign in function?

• Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang May 19, 2020 at 5:23 am #

10. Pheephee May 19, 2020 at 12:50 am #

I just adore her! Such impeccable fashion sense. Easily a red carpet favourite of mine.
    I can agree with your top three choices. They are mine too.
    She is just soooo consistent. I can see how it would of been difficult!

11. Nadine May 19, 2020 at 12:16 am #

Seems like we don’t see her as often now, so I REALLY enjoyed this.

12. Raya May 18, 2020 at 10:53 pm #

Emmy might just be my favourite red carpet star and she’s so underrated. Nearly impossible to pick a favourite but I love love love 1,3 and 4. The colours in 5 are wonderful, 7 is just beautiful and 9 is how to wow in a black gown.