Menu

February 18, 2015

Emmy Rossum In Donna Karan Atelier – 17th Costume Designers Guild Awards

17th Costume Designers Guild Awards With Presenting Sponsor Lacoste - Green Room

Emmy Rossum blew me away, as per, on the red carpet for the 17th Costume Designers Guild Awards held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Tuesday (February 17) in Beverly Hills, California.

I love Emmy for her supreme elegance, modern fairytale offerings and impeccable presentation. That was all applicable to her breathtaking pale pink Donna Karan Atelier gown.

In a week when I’ve felt starved of glamour following the Goyas, Grammys and BAFTAs last week, the drought is finally over.

This will take pride of place on my BDOTY list, but something tells me that this will be just one of many from the ‘Shameless’ star this year.

This gown deserves a standing ovation, as does those Martin Katz diamond drop earrings.

Credit: Getty

Taylor Swift In Sachin & Babi - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Taylor Swift In Sachin & Babi – The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Vanity Fair Celebrates Young Hollywood Red Carpet Roundup

Vanity Fair Celebrates Young Hollywood Red Carpet Roundup

86 Responses to Emmy Rossum In Donna Karan Atelier – 17th Costume Designers Guild Awards

1. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

Agree on all points!

2. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

3. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

Sorry to say, but this is far from BDOTY for me, let alone BDOTW. The color is really bland and washes her out, and I really really hate that neckline, looks cheap and won’t flatter almost anybody

4. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

She definitely knows how to do glamour! I gasped a little when I saw this.

5. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

This is beyond breathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely BDOTY!!!!

6. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

I love this but it is soooo similar to Lizzy Caplan’s amazing Emmy gown that her version is all I can think about.

7. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

Donna Karan does these dresses really well – I like it – I do think that it could have looked better on someone with a darker skin tone – It won’t be on my BDOTY list – but I like it

8. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

WOW – stunning in every way. I absolutely love this on her – perfection.

9. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

This look is stunning! No flaws with this, everything is perfect!

10. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

This is a STUNNER.

I can’t help but compare it to Gabrielle Union’s Gauri & Nainika look from last week which I didn’t like because it all felt so heavy in the skirt. This look from Emmy blows that gown out of the water with the effortless flow of the skirt and the A+ styling.

11. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

How does this girl manages to always shut down a red carpet? This is fantastic! I so wish to see her at thw Oscars cause I know she’ll let everybody else so far behind her.

12. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

I meant the one to beat.

13. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

WOW! She looks sensational, so regal. I wouldn’t change a thing about this look. Without a doubt, BDOTY-worthy and the one to best this week.
    What I love the most about Emmy is that she delivers BDOTY-worthy looks every year.

14. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

Yep, ITA. Much prefer Gabrielle Union’s pretty in pink effort, design/fit is superior waist up imo. Thankfully, Emmy Rossum is a brunette, otherwise this would be a complete washout. Prefer Emmy in stronger colors. I do like Emmy’s look, I’m just not swooning.

15. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

Yes, in agreement. Its really the colour. Just because someone turns up in a grand gown that fits perfectly, does that equal mind-blowing? Emmy always ensures fit is flawless, and always styles things in a minimalist but complimentary way, so thats a given for her. But this dress doesnt blow my mind like some of her other choices.

16. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

I don’t know. I’m not that excited. The colour is way too bland and pale against her skin and the neckline looks poor and amateurish, the fit in the bust needed to be better (there is a bit too little fabric to accommodate her bust) and those straps look plain cheap. There is no comparison how much better pale pink worked for Gabrielle last week and the design of her dramatic gown was more modern and interesting.

17. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

I like the hair and make-up. I like the dress on her, the only thing about the dress I would change is the colour, I think it washes her out.

18. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

+ 1

19. Guest June 18, 2019 at 10:40 am #

Gorgeous.

20. Fifi February 22, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

Gown is stunning, make up is flawless, amazing accessories. Just can’t get over the ugly hairdo.

21. Effy February 20, 2015 at 3:50 pm #

BDOTY for me! She looks exquisite in this gown, but I have to say that not only that is working in her favor. As is obvious the styling and that gorgeous makeup is doing wonders for the look, but for me is actually the subtle juxtaposition of colors that is doing the heavy lifting. The gown color is very tricky, especially with her milky complexion but I think is just the right shade to go against her ravenly locks; but what brings all the elements together I think is the background where the pictures where taken. It was the right dress, right girl, right time.

22. bfly February 20, 2015 at 2:46 am #

She looks completely stunning, and I really don’t see why this has to be compared to Gabrielle Union. Two completely different looks!
    Yly

23. Larissa February 19, 2015 at 11:56 pm #

If this is not perfection I don’t know how else I should call it. The fit of the gown is unbelievably perfect and she looks radiant and regal. I’m glad FC recognized the pure beauty of this look, which for me is all in the exquisite design of the dress and in Emmy’s wise choices in the hair,makeup and accessories departments. That’s it, she doesn’t need crazy or revealing outfits to shine. She’s classy like that.. I will gladly add this to my BDOTY list. I’m so happy when classy and minimalistic choices like this get credit.

24. elena February 19, 2015 at 11:21 am #

I am trying to like the look.. but impossible.. the color is too pale, the neckline is more vulgar than sexy, and I really dislike Emmy’s hair.

• bisbee February 19, 2015 at 3:11 pm #

Vulgar?

I actually like the color of the dress against her skin…her dark hair and eyes keep her from looking washed out, in my opinion. I could do without that tail hanging out of the bun, but other than that, her hair is perfect.

The only thing i don’t like about the dress are the straps…perhaps if they had been replaced with very thin jeweled straps it would have been an improvement…and that would have required different earrings.

25. kane February 19, 2015 at 10:16 am #

It wowed me as a thumbnail, but I agree it doesn’t hold up to closer inspection. The making seems sloppy, the design not quite so original given recent other looks and the colour not quite ideal. It has a faint sense of Emmy the Great, but isn’t quite there. Ultimately, she can do better.

26. Burcu February 19, 2015 at 8:46 am #

She looks stunning and the thing i admire about her is ,she never looks cheap or tacky.I guess it is coming from her nature.

27. Valissa February 19, 2015 at 6:28 am #

Meh. Emmy is boring to me…she picks a conventionally pretty gown from the likes of J.Mendel. Caroline Herrera, Oscar De La Renta et.al and everybody swoons. She never looks bad, I would just love to see her take a risk every now and then.
    This is lovely but not BDOTY worthy IMO. I feel like I’ve seen it on her a hundred times…

28. Joan February 19, 2015 at 4:38 am #

So amazing, and she doesn’t have a stylist…she picks out her own outfits! Two Thumbs up!

29. Pedro February 19, 2015 at 3:24 am #

Emmy looks gorgeous! I really love everything about this look

For me it’s not BDOTY material but BDOTW for sure! Love her

• Phoenix February 19, 2015 at 3:04 pm #

Agree. BDOTW potetnial, not so sure about the yearly one. She is gorgeous and she did a great job with the styling.

30. Prudence February 19, 2015 at 3:04 am #

Gabrielle’s gown blows her very simple and generic one out of the park. This is of course beautiful but I am still very much underwhelmed. It is also far too one tone for me. I think Camilla’s DK Atelier purple gown was far superior than this one which I agree is rather cheaply made.

31. Samuel February 19, 2015 at 1:06 am #

I’m so thankful that Catherine is able to view a look as more than just a colour of fabric or a placement of straps. Best Dressed incorporates how the look is worn and how the wearer enhances the look by exuding a presence and confidence. Yes, last week we also saw a gown with a deeper shade of pink and arguably in some people’s eyes, a better design. But this right here is ‘a look’. Every element is perfectly matched and Emmy is owning it like nobody’s business. BDOTY for sure!!

• Nat39 February 19, 2015 at 2:10 am #

And you don’t think that Readers are looking at everything(?) overall styling/presentation, presence?? Perhaps, sometimes even a bit too much when it comes to the wearer’s presence and charisma (as it often happens in Cate Blanchett’s case, for ex, who consistently gets highly praised even for a very average look). Just last week, I’m sure choosing Lea Seydoux for Best dressed had a lot to do with how graceful and beautiful she looked in her yellow gown, etc.
      This is a beautiful look, well presented by Emmy, no one argues about that, and most likely this week’s Best dressed, but I guess what some of us are trying to say that it’s not as outstanding or exceptional from the BDOTY standpoint (and while we do like it, it simply doesn’t impact some of us to this point), and this is where every little detail gets examined, including how the colour suits the wearer or whether the design has unique or impactful dramatic elements that would set it apart and make it special enough for BDOTY and so on…
      That being said, one is, of course, free to choose his/her own BDOTY looks.

• Nat39 February 19, 2015 at 2:52 am #

…I’d like to add that I absolutely adore the gorgeous skirt, and I don’t think that Gabrielle’s look was exactly better or superior but it was, in fact, more creative and original and the pink (I don’t think it was much deeper shade) understandably looked so very powerful on her, it felt like electric blue (and her makeup was sublime).

32. Bailey February 18, 2015 at 11:44 pm #

This look is stunning! No flaws with this, everything is perfect!

33. Fiona - Perth February 18, 2015 at 11:25 pm #

WOW – stunning in every way. I absolutely love this on her – perfection.

34. ramsay February 18, 2015 at 9:52 pm #

35. pinksugar February 18, 2015 at 5:59 pm #

36. Christine February 18, 2015 at 5:43 pm #

This is beyond breathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely BDOTY!!!!

37. Kimma February 18, 2015 at 5:19 pm #

She definitely knows how to do glamour! I gasped a little when I saw this.

38. Prian February 18, 2015 at 5:15 pm #

• Koma February 19, 2015 at 3:25 am #

Agree on all points!

• elena February 19, 2015 at 11:17 am #

39. Charlotte February 18, 2015 at 4:46 pm #

This is a great look for sure, but I’m not too fond of the neckline.

40. Raquel February 18, 2015 at 4:35 pm #

What I said immediately was: WOOOWWW!
    That is an amazing look worthy of BDOTY!
    Perfection!

41. Fer February 18, 2015 at 4:33 pm #

I mean, it’s only February and we already have many MAJOR red carpet moments! Amazing year in fashion, girls are really taking it serious, this dress is amazing, tailored to perfection I loove it.
    Although I would have preferred small diamond earrings and a nice ring over those long ones, but I adore this look anyways 🙂

Amaaazing bdoty

42. Marcel February 18, 2015 at 4:24 pm #

It is nice but not exceptionally good. The colour and the fitting aren’t that flattering.
    Standing ovation and BDOTY certainly don’t apply here

43. Leti February 18, 2015 at 4:12 pm #

STUNNING. The only thing I would change, thought it’s minor, is the weird tale coming out of her bun. I can totally overlook that, though.

44. Isabella February 18, 2015 at 4:00 pm #

Seen it before, so ‘meh’

• Nat39 February 18, 2015 at 10:32 pm #

My 1st thought – the design is stale.
      Of course, she looks nice but the BDOTY praise is ott.

45. Alina February 18, 2015 at 3:59 pm #

Gorgeous.

• Fiona-Brasil February 18, 2015 at 10:41 pm #

+ 1

46. AB February 18, 2015 at 3:46 pm #

47. Nat39 February 18, 2015 at 3:37 pm #

• Leto February 18, 2015 at 3:50 pm #

Exactly my thoughts!

• from-chitown February 18, 2015 at 4:03 pm #

ITA. The color is too bland. And the neckline fails to interest me. I liked Gabrielle’s look much better last week. I think that color was divine against her skin.

• CreoleLady February 18, 2015 at 4:54 pm #