Menu

May 18, 2020

The Future of Luxury Fashion: Discuss

Back in September, Jennifer Lopez broke the internet for the second time when she graced the runway for Versace’s Spring 2020 show wearing a redux of her 2000 Grammy Awards gown which built the internet…or Google Images at the very least.

I was reminded of this moment while casually browsing NET-A-PORTER where her Versace cut-out chiffon gown dropped on their virtual shelves.

You may say, “who’s buy a £6,960 dress right now?”

Well the dress is almost sold out, so there are some people.

My friend who is a senior executive in a luxury brand told me that as restrictions are lifting, he is getting calls from clients who are buying, or setting up appointments to buy.

The luxury market did take a hint, but things are slowing changing.

WWD reported that Hermès broke a record with 2.7 million dollars of sales at its second-largest flagship store in Guangzhou the day the store reopened after the COVID-19 pandemic.

LVMH just reported a 50-percent rise in sales of its top brands in Mainland China during April, so its probable this rise will take place as other market open for business.

When it comes to luxury brands, I’m wondering what the future will be in terms of presentations. What the format will be?

Will it revert back to salon style presentations which are beamed around the world?

Will runway shows still take place but on a much smaller scale?

Will invitees be limited to their own markets only? Excluding the likes of Anna Wintour for example.

We’ve already seen that an ad campaign can be shot via FaceTime. So is going digital the way forward?

What ever the answer is, are you ready for the start of a new era?

I have so many questions. Things like this keep me up at night.

What are your thoughts?

Credit: Vogue.com

Lea Michele Show Off Her Baby Bump In Hatch

Lea Michele Show Off Her Baby Bump In Hatch

Emmy Rossum's Top 10 Red Carpet Looks

Emmy Rossum’s Top 10 Red Carpet Looks

11 Responses to The Future of Luxury Fashion: Discuss

1. Mary May 19, 2020 at 4:15 pm #

I really hope the things will become as they were. I don’t think fashion is fashion without publications, ads on magazines, fashion shows. They won’t be the same excitement as we used to have. I don’t believe there will be an excitement for all things digital.

2. TeaAtTwo May 19, 2020 at 11:21 am #

I wonder whether resort and pre-fall collections, which are big money generators, will be incorporated into the main s/sand a/w collections. I imagine they’ll be a focus on what sure to sell and items that can be seen as classics or an investment rather than ‘trendy’ and experimental.

3. Martijn May 19, 2020 at 9:34 am #

Well a lot of brands base part of their current success in social media, so maybe that will play a bigger role in the coming time. Also, smaller shows, for selected clients could be a way to showcase work (have to think of how Alaïa used to do that).

Curious to see if the fashion world will change, Armani already complained about the speed of the market, maybe this is a good chance to slow down and focus on a new way to present and release clothes.

4. laulau May 19, 2020 at 3:12 am #

I really belive that a city needs the structure and support for start-ups and independents in order to be a viable “fashion hub”. If all that a major city has left is the old-guard, prestige labels the whole scene will become stagnant and lack the vitality that young designers with big dreams carry.
    That is assuming there are still “fashion hubs”. Between corona and the environmetal issues more and more brands may skip the runway, I just hope they find more creative solutions then the standard ‘look books’.
    As far as people dropping bank on designer stuff right now, I have a friend who sells vintage/collector Jordans (I don’t get it but whatevs) and I guess when people with a lot of money get nervous about stocks they’ll pull some cash out and buy anything that might gain value down the road; a basquiat, an antique vase,an iconic Versace dress, Hermes purse, Chanel tweed, etc.

• TeaAtTwo May 21, 2020 at 8:48 am #

Perhaps video look books? So similar to what shopping websites do where you can see the models do a little walk and twirl to show the outfit.

5. phee May 19, 2020 at 1:29 am #

I know its excess, but I really loved those big dramatic, theatrical shows. Those are the only ones I truly enjoy watching.

6. TeaAtTwo May 18, 2020 at 4:12 pm #

High fashion wise, I worry more about the smaller labels and the designers and magazines without established brands.
    I haven’t followed FRow much style for last couple of years but I did sometimes enjoy looking at put together and seeing what the mini trends and IT items.
    Though there are many points against them, I enjoy seeing catwalk shows and seeing the outfits in motion, especially for haute couture.

• anonymous as always May 18, 2020 at 10:14 pm #

I agree!

• Breverjohn May 19, 2020 at 8:49 am #

What really keeps me up at night is imagining Catherine marrying a Grosvenor. 🙂

7. Laura May 18, 2020 at 3:43 pm #

And they are buying these dresses to show them where? in their bedrooms? With tourism slow, no big parties, no shows, no nothing, wear a 7000 pounds dress where?

• Addaloria May 20, 2020 at 9:06 pm #