Menu

March 16, 2020

The 2020 Met Gala Has Been Postponed

I’m sad to announce that the 2020 Met Gala, which was due to be hosted by Emma Stone, Louis Vuitton’s Artistic Director Nicolas Ghesquiere and Meryl Streep, has officially been postponed.

Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour wrote, “Due to the unavoidable and responsible decision by the Metropolitan Museum to close its doors, About Time, and the opening night gala, will be postponed to a later date.”

On March 13, New York City’s Metropolitan Museum of Art closed its doors to the public over concerns with the coronavirus and COVID-19.

The event usually takes place on the first Monday in May, but it will now instead take place on an as-yet unannounced date.

I will keep you posted.

I’m sure the cancellation of Cannes Film Festival will be following soon.

While I’m sure you are as disappointed as I am, it was of course the right thing to do in such uncertain times.

Credit: Getty

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex Wore Scanlan Theodore For Buckingham Palace Commonwealth Meeting

Karlie Kloss' Dion Lee Black Lace Up Detail Midi Dress

Karlie Kloss’ Dion Lee Black Lace Up Detail Midi Dress

17 Responses to The 2020 Met Gala Has Been Postponed

1. MissHebble March 20, 2020 at 8:43 am #

Disappointing news but the right decision – it is good to see those with influence leading by example. My poor sister has had to postpone her wedding so we are all pretty gutted at the moment 😓 hope you are well safe and well xx

2. Guest March 20, 2020 at 1:36 am #

Someone posted photos on social of the opening looks of LV SS08, old fashioned nurses outfits with the little white hats and they had LV sheer masks on. I ended up watching that opening again on YT.

3. Guest March 20, 2020 at 1:22 am #

Ventilators?

4. Guest March 20, 2020 at 12:08 am #

No don’t be nicer, be yourself :-P… And those hospitals need more ICU rooms, more respiratory machines (i forget what they’re called), and more protective equipment for staff. Hand sanitizer is the LEAST they could do.

5. Guest March 19, 2020 at 10:32 pm #

This is a shame, but definitely the right decision.

I’m sure this must be such a disappointing time for you FC, thank you so much for continuing to post, it’s really helping lighten up the long days!

I just wanted to send some extra love and hope that you and your family and friends are all safe 🙂 .
    I saw on IG that you said that your mama works for the NHS. Please send major love her way!
    The NHS staff are heroes. Their selflessness and dedication is inspiring to say the absolute least.

6. Guest March 17, 2020 at 4:43 pm #

To All celeb stylists – please get your clients to dress up and post on Instagram during this is isolation/self quarantine period.

Yours sincerely,

Desperate for some relief

7. Phee phee March 17, 2020 at 1:59 am #

Well. postponed is better than cancelled at least….
    Sad. but totally understandable too.

Imma gonna cry over Cannes cancellation though….

8. Guest March 16, 2020 at 11:45 pm #

I should be nicer right now considering that its owners, LMVH are making hand sanitser for French hospitals for free.

9. Guest March 16, 2020 at 11:43 pm #

I’m picturing Billy Porter in some ridiculous sequined nurses outfit.

10. Los_NGLS March 16, 2020 at 11:27 pm #

An underhanded encouraging compliment. I admire your layered writing 🙂

11. Los_NGLS March 16, 2020 at 11:26 pm #

On a positive note, this will likely be one of the first major cultural events in NYC once we’re running something close to normal again, and it now has even greater motivation to be the grandest of affairs.

I fully expect Katy Perry to show up as a swarovski encrusted Big Ben (with allowance for her baby belly).

12. Guest March 16, 2020 at 9:54 pm #

Yay, postponed not “cancelled”. Good news as far as I’m concerned 🙂

13. Guest March 16, 2020 at 9:43 pm #

This is the right thing to do. Celebrities will use the date to post tons of fashion instagram pics, so we’ll still see some fashion content during that week, and during Cannes week.

14. Guest March 16, 2020 at 9:05 pm #

Will give Louis Vuitton more time to work on their gowns/big red carpet looks, which we all know is a big weakness for the current house.

15. Red Carpet Fashion Awards March 16, 2020 at 8:35 pm #

Sadly it was always inevitable.

Stay safe everyone

16. Guest March 16, 2020 at 8:25 pm #

It’s not official yet but for sure it will be announced in the next days

17. Guest March 16, 2020 at 8:20 pm #

Cannes is already cancelled. I’m French and saw a headline last week about it. Sad. Stay safe everyone.