Menu

November 19, 2019

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge stepped out on Monday evening (November 18), for the Royal Variety Performance held at London’s Palladium Theatre.

The annual event is in aid of the Royal Variety Charity, of which the Queen is Patron, and the money raised from the show helps hundreds of entertainers throughout the UK, who need help and assistance as a result of old age, ill-health or hard times.

Although a member of the royal family always makes an appearance at the Royal Variety Performance—a tradition since King George V and Queen Mary attended a first “royal performance in 1912—Prince William and Kate Middleton aren’t always the designated attendees.

Last year, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle went to the show, and the Duchess wore a custom look from Safiyaa for the occasion.

Catherine wore a floor-length gown by Alexander McQueen, while William looked smart in a tux.

This is a beautiful design, but I’ve never been a huge fan of black lace dresses with a nude lining.

With a black lining you would lose the ability to see the majority of the detail, but to me the nude lining gives an old fashion appearance.

A Jimmy Choo ‘Celeste’ clutch and beautiful loose curls completed her look.

Credit: Getty

, , , , , ,

Chadwick Boseman Continues His Love Affair With Etro On The Ellen DeGeneres Show

Jennifer Hudson Was Brilliant In Blue For The An Evening Honoring Leonard Lauder

25 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge Wore Alexander McQueen To The Royal Variety Performance

1. Guest November 20, 2019 at 1:38 pm #

She looks beautiful, I absolutely love this from head to toe.

2. Noor November 20, 2019 at 8:32 am #

Neckline is the everything I like

3. Jess Mara November 20, 2019 at 4:11 am #

Im not a fan of the nude lining but they looked happy

4. Phee phee November 20, 2019 at 12:13 am #

I actually think she looks terrific. I dont see old-fashioned when I look at the dress/lining.
    I find the lace pattern very pretty. And those earrings are amazing!

5. Dominos November 19, 2019 at 7:55 pm #

I think she looks stunning but I would have made the lining closer to her own colouring- it’s a bit too much of a contrast. I want those earrings!

• Guest November 20, 2019 at 9:59 am #

yes, I think that’s the problem! If the lining were just a tiny bit darker the dress would have looked perfect!
      she does look gorgeous anyway

6. Los_NGLS November 19, 2019 at 3:22 pm #

Agree with your black lace on nude feelings Catherine

Mostly though, this doesn’t work for me because, though it is a lovely dress, unlike all her other McQueen pieces, it almost looks like a McQueen runway piece, but misses the mark by being very watered down from what we know Sarah can achieve with lace. It’s Kidz Bop McQueen, tbqh.

7. Guest November 19, 2019 at 2:49 pm #

I have been looking at this since yesterday and it is not getting better. That beige sheet underneath is horrible and cheap-looking. I like the design of the dress though, the back and velvet panels look very nice.

I have long wondered why Kate is going for such old-fashioned shapes for her evening wear. Surely she could wear a modern-looking column dress with lace sleeves or something like that and still be appropriate?

8. Guest November 19, 2019 at 2:38 pm #

I wish this dress was in a different color combination. It fits great on her but that lace combo is dated. I thought she was over this style. Maybe not. However, I enjoy her daring choice of earrings.

9. KseniaBradner November 19, 2019 at 1:31 pm #

Even though it’s McQueen it registers as cheap and dated.

10. Guest November 19, 2019 at 1:06 pm #

I really wish I liked her style but I don’t. Mc Queen must hate putting out same old same old year after year . This is so Christmas 2000 from Next . She is an attractive girl with a great figure but she dresses like a dull matron

11. Guest November 19, 2019 at 12:58 pm #

I love the dress. The lace patten is beautiful and that hair is gorgeous.

12. _Hannah_ November 19, 2019 at 12:38 pm #

The lining unfortunately looks horrible. Why is it so “white”? Neck up – she looks lovely.

13. Guest November 19, 2019 at 10:49 am #

She looks nice and it’s not dowdy but it does also look very circa 1997.

14. Guest November 19, 2019 at 10:48 am #

Catherine, have you considered putting (nee Kate Middleton) and (nee Meghan Markle) after their proper titles in brackets just for traffic purposes? I think most of your readers would be supportive/understanding.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 12:33 pm #

I don’t see such request being made when it comes to Amal Clooney or Queen Letizia. Nobody calles them Amal Alamuddin or Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.
      Why should we give Catherine and Meghan different treatment? They should be called Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex as those are their names now.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 12:53 pm #

Urgh, I wasn’t suggesting not using their proper names. Their former names still get lots of searches and traffic so putting those nee names somewhere in the stories, in brackets alongside their current titles would help in order to get more viewers for Catherine and to get proper revenue..
      She could do the same with the others if helpful. It’s not disrespectful.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 12:54 pm #

I believe that the suggestion “for traffic purposes” is related to web traffic, meaning that if someone googles “Meghan Markle” they would get this page in the web search result. Not everyone googles them with their full titles.
      This is actually a very sound suggestion.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 2:07 pm #

Yes, I’m aware of what you’re suggesting but keeping “Kate Middleton” and “Meghan Markle” even for traffic purposes is what makes that both women are still being refered to by their maiden names in headlines and articles. For exaple this is the case even in this article:
      “(…) Prince William and Kate Middleton aren’t always the designated attendees.”.
      As far as I know they are no longer using their maiden names just like Amal and many other married women.
      By all means I’m not saying that Catherine is disrespectful towards anyone but in my opinion media should respect the choices those women made when they got married.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 2:18 pm #

It’s one thing if they never call them by their proper names/titles but media outlets still have to make money to survive and if people are using alternate or former names in searches than including it somewhere once to get web traffic is a fair enough balance.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 2:24 pm #

Sure, but it’s the media who help create views and opinions and like I said nobody have issues with calling Amal Clooney with her new name. It’s just the matter of getting used to something. If media would stop calling Duchess of Cambridge “Kate Middleton” people would quickly forget about her maiden name. For example I had to google what was Amal’s maiden name.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 2:32 pm #

That’s you and Amal. Cheryl has been divorced from Ashley Cole for ages and lots of people still refer to her Cheryl Cole. Alamuddin wasn’t even in the public thought for that long when she got married. No-one was suggesting not using Catherine and Meghan’s current names in stories.

• Guest November 19, 2019 at 3:48 pm #

Actually, in Spain we call Queen Letizia “Letizia Ortiz” quite often, because it still is her legal name, notwithstanding her royal title. So I don’t see the problem in calling Catherine and Meghan by her maiden names, but maybe this is a bigger deal in Great Britain.

15. Guest November 19, 2019 at 9:44 am #

The lining makes this so matronly (not that I would expect her to go sheer), but it loses it’s romance and delicacy with a big slab of beige underneath.

16. Guest November 19, 2019 at 9:42 am #

Not a fan of these types of dresses (same as you Catherine) but she looks great and the dress fits her well too. Her hair, makeup and her accessories (jewelry and clutch) are on point also.