Menu

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Safiyaa – The Royal Variety Performance 2018

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Safiyaa - The Royal Variety Performance 2018

I was disappointed not to see Meghan, Duchess of Sussex’s look for Prince Charles 70th birthday party, but delighted she was out again with Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex for The Royal Variety Performance at London Palladium on Monday (November 19) in London.

I was initially excited by this Safiyaa look, but I had only seen it from the side.

From the front, I really dislike this.

She is already flouting the “no-baring arms” rule, so why the addition of the straps?

The size and odd placement makes it appear like she’s wearing a bikini under her bustier.

And lets not bother going into the fact that it rained all day today, so did no one think it would be an idea to opt for something that wouldn’t be rain soaked upon her entering the venue? *BIG SIGH*

This was such a cool look initially, but as presented this is easily one of my least favourite looks of 2018 from Meghan.

Credit: Safiyaa & Getty

2018 Golden Horse Film Awards

2018 Golden Horse Film Awards

Erykah Badu In Rick Owens - 2018 Soul Train Awards

Erykah Badu In Rick Owens – 2018 Soul Train Awards

52 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Safiyaa – The Royal Variety Performance 2018

1. Natalie November 22, 2018 at 12:10 am #

Guys sure this is not her best look, but catherine mentioned the look she wore for for prince charles’ birthday and that it was not a good look either, but I did not see a post about it here, and can’t seem to find any pictures of the outfit. Any idea what the outfit was and where i can find pictures?

• Milly November 22, 2018 at 9:03 pm #

Where did you see Catherine say that? In this post she says she was disappointed not to see Meghan’s look from Charles’s birthday.

I really don’t like this outfit, though it may have been slightly better if she hadn’t added the belt and without the visible bra strap.

2. Fee November 21, 2018 at 2:14 am #

I think she looks lovely. Nothing groundbreaking but suits her. This stage of pregnancy is hard to dress when you’re just starting to pop.

3. sillytwilly November 20, 2018 at 10:41 pm #

There is no “team” it’s probably just jessica Mulroney who is a “stylist” but who are her other Hollywood clients really?! 🤣🤣🤣

4. Caroline November 20, 2018 at 5:23 pm #

Awful.

5. YvvyE November 20, 2018 at 2:45 pm #

I thought I was the only one who found the look horrible. Just wrong in all levels!

6. moonbeam November 20, 2018 at 1:58 pm #

Off topic: FC, please do a post on J.Lo’s recent outfit with those controversial pants with exposed “thong”

• meme November 20, 2018 at 2:31 pm #

she’s ridiculous

• Catherine Kallon November 20, 2018 at 6:39 pm #

I haven’t seen it. Let me check it out

• JHH November 20, 2018 at 8:51 pm #

Were those pants for a video shoot or did she wear them to an event? I thought it was a video shoot Anyway what is the big deal?

7. jd November 20, 2018 at 1:39 pm #

Is the Duchess’ half-sister, Samantha Markle, her stylist?

That’s the only reason I can think of that would account for the fact that the Duchess is consistently dressed in such unflattering fashion—her stylist must truly hate her!

8. Lee ann November 20, 2018 at 12:38 pm #

It’s just plain ugly

9. olga November 20, 2018 at 11:53 am #

I really don’t like this, it looks cheap, dated and unflattering. Her hair doesn’t look good either.

10. James November 20, 2018 at 11:42 am #

Harry should have married Michelle Obama. At least we wouldn’t be bored out of our minds with her fashion sense. Shame she is already married :-p
    On topic, the top doesn’t bother me, it’s the bottom that I find hideous and cheap looking and the belt wasn’t necessary as anyone can see that she is expecting!

11. Marie-Jeanne Mens November 20, 2018 at 11:06 am #

Everybody can make mistakes but I like it.

12. Noemi November 20, 2018 at 10:54 am #

One of her worse looks, so far. The straps make the bodice look like a swimsuit, the belt was unnecessary.

13. Lux November 20, 2018 at 10:25 am #

Kate attended the same event last year when she was also 4 months pregnant…and kate looked so much better!

14. TeaAtTwo November 20, 2018 at 9:57 am #

I like the top and I think her figure looks fine in it but it’s always the details that are missing in her outfits. The straps construction, the hem length here.

15. The original AB November 20, 2018 at 9:23 am #

I see I’m in the minority! Minus the straps I think she looks gorgeous. I think what she is wearing suits her.

16. VG November 20, 2018 at 9:04 am #

Not a good look. It’s beyond basic and outdated

17. Charlotte November 20, 2018 at 8:30 am #

The dress looks really dated.

18. dedel1301 November 20, 2018 at 7:53 am #

She does not dress like a Duchess but still like an actress… :/

19. justme November 20, 2018 at 7:39 am #

I’m not here for the spaghetti straps. At all. AT ALL. They ruin the look.

She was literally outside for less than a minute and her skirt is black. I wouldn’t have changed my pre-planned outfit because of the rain either.

20. Giada November 20, 2018 at 7:14 am #

No, no, no. So incredibly unflattering,

21. el_owl November 20, 2018 at 4:56 am #

The instant I saw it I thought: this is a bathing suit with a skirt attached. Do you think the straps are detachable? 😉

22. Hazey November 20, 2018 at 3:05 am #

I am pretty sure the bare no arms/shoulders “policy” only applies to official day functions. Princess Diana regularly wore strapless dresses. But agree don’t like this look

23. JHH November 20, 2018 at 2:40 am #

I don’t really care one way or another that the hem of her dress got wet. Rain happens. I would have liked the dress better without the tiny straps or with “real” straps. The dress, though lovely, is not flattering on her body and the belt did not fix it.

• Eni November 20, 2018 at 5:38 am #

24. Vizual Ninja November 20, 2018 at 2:34 am #

Man, I wish she wore it same as the model, it would’ve been great. I commend her for trying something different but it didn’t pay off this time. I totally agree about the straps it does turn it into a vintage swimsuit. She is glowing though, so there’s that!

25. CreoleLady November 20, 2018 at 2:33 am #

Yeah, no.

• CreoleLady November 20, 2018 at 9:37 am #

Do you mean “flaunting” or “flouting”? If the latter, then ridiculous. This is an evening event where it is perfectly acceptable to go strapless. If “The Firm” is fine with it, the constant whining about rules when comes to the Duchess of Sussex starts to appear selective in the worst way.

• Catherine Kallon November 20, 2018 at 11:08 am #

oops…flouting. you’re right.

• justme November 20, 2018 at 11:12 am #

I don’t even register when people mention rules in regards to Meghan anymore. Many seem to have taken Kate’s personal preferences as the official rules (which is very sad but I digress). There are plenty of British royals including The Queen in her younger years who have gone strapless. It’s fine 🙂

• olga November 20, 2018 at 11:48 am #

Well, there are also some people that mention supposed royal rules to show Meghan as a trailblazer who’s bringing modernity into the monarchy, when that isn’t the case at all. For example when she closed the car door by herself before attending an event, people on twitter went crazy praising her as a strong, modern, independent woman, forgetting how many royal women had done the same thing before.

26. Jerusa Herrera November 20, 2018 at 2:09 am #

Yes it’s not good but nothing, and I mean NOTHING like the sheer skirt incident

27. Jess November 20, 2018 at 1:46 am #

In addition to weirdly casual halter straps, I just feel like this is a bad shape for her. She already has a short torso with no waist. On top of this, she appears to widening sideways as part of her pregnancy. Whatever material her top is made of, it looks incredibly stiff and … square.

Basically she looks like a square and the black belt isn’t helping at all. It’s really just bad overall.

• Shuzzz November 20, 2018 at 2:18 am #

+1 on the short torso with no waist!

• brat November 20, 2018 at 3:56 am #

+2 to all of this

28. Sassqueen November 20, 2018 at 1:22 am #

Ewwww…..this look is …..oh never mind .i gave up on her long time ago …sorry..

• meme November 20, 2018 at 2:33 pm #

+1 … she’s getting annoying.

29. Vizual Ninja November 20, 2018 at 1:02 am #

Man this would’ve been killer if she wore it like the model. I commend her for trying something different, but it doesn’t pay off this time around. The strap additions do remind me of a vintage swimsuit. And I’m not sure she this works as maternity wear. She is glowing though, so there’s that!

30. quimby November 20, 2018 at 12:51 am #

I was going to say the halter straps take it from “evening” into “resort” but now I can’t unsee the bikini under her top!

I really wish she would revamp her style team; I appreciate her minimalist taste but for it to work the details of fit, presentation, and undergarments really need to be right and she has not been well-served by all the sloppiness.

31. Marlena November 20, 2018 at 12:48 am #

All I can say is why???????

32. JessNess November 20, 2018 at 12:39 am #

She can’t dress to save her life. I wish she would stop getting a free pass just because she is now part of the royal family.

• phee November 20, 2018 at 2:58 am #

• MW November 20, 2018 at 9:41 am #

33. Vizual Ninja November 20, 2018 at 12:39 am #

Man, if she had worn it as presented on the model that would’ve been killer. I commend her for trying something different, but didn’t pay off this time around. I totally agree about the straps, worse with the design of the top it looks like a vintage swimsuit. And, I’m not so sure this was the best for maternity wear. She is glowing though, so there’s that!

34. moonbeam November 20, 2018 at 12:24 am #

It’s a bit less boring than her usual looks, so there’s that.

• Ksenia November 20, 2018 at 12:33 am #

+1 Her team always gets the details wrong.