Menu

October 14, 2019

Catherine, Duchess Of Cambridge's Elegant Ombre Blue Shalwar Kameez For Her Pakistan Arrival

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge landed in Rawalpindi, Pakistan for their official visit this evening (October 14), which will run until October 18.

Catherine opted to mix East and West wearing her favourite colour: blue, departing the plane wearing a bespoke dress and trousers combo by British designer Catherine Walker, in the style of the traditional dress – a shalwar kameez.

I’m feeling an immense sense of pride to see my future Queen respecting the Pakistan culture with this look, while a nod to her signature style came courtesy of Rupert Sanderson nude pumps.

Putting aside the cultural appropriateness of it all to one side for a second, that ombre blue is simply divine.

I adore the draped neckline too, and the jewellery, as always, was subtle and complementary.

Is this BDOTY worthy?

I’m going to have say it’s very worthy of consideration.

Credit: Getty

, , , , , ,

Andrea Riseborough Shines On The Red Carpet For 'The Irishman' London Film Festival Premiere

Andrea Riseborough Shines On The Red Carpet For ‘The Irishman’ London Film Festival Premiere

'Bombshell' LA Screening

‘Bombshell’ LA Screening

33 Responses to Catherine, Duchess Of Cambridge’s Elegant Ombre Blue Shalwar Kameez For Her Pakistan Arrival

1. Guest October 15, 2019 at 4:48 pm #

I think this outfit is really lovely. The color is divine on her. But for me, the dress and trousers are doing all the talking and nothing else.

2. allezfred October 15, 2019 at 1:42 pm #

Can’t William dress in theme too? So boring ?

3. Guest October 15, 2019 at 12:34 pm #

As a South Asian I believe it’s a comical interpretation of our dress, and silly attempt at recreating princess Diana’s outift on her visit to Pakistan. Why would you pad the shoulders and sew in the scarf as a drape? And for goodness sake she knew it was going to be a big photo opportunity, wear a decent dress where the press can’t make out where your belly button is. Rest of her outfits I have seen on her in this tour look rather beautiful, she carries them well.

4. Sharon M October 15, 2019 at 11:30 am #

I am impressed…the color is beyond wonderful on her!

5. Guest October 15, 2019 at 11:27 am #

BDOTY for sure! She looks flawless

6. Noor October 15, 2019 at 9:08 am #

Didn’t expect this. Magnificent color shade and the bodice. Kate is as regal as always. Not a fan of the nude pumps.

7. smo390 October 15, 2019 at 6:21 am #

this is not cultural appropriation, in my opinion.

8. Guest October 15, 2019 at 6:08 am #

I love colour, ombre and the tailoring. The nude pumps don’t work, white or matching blue would have been better.

9. Phee phee October 15, 2019 at 5:28 am #

Its lovely. I adore the color. Its so vibrant. I dont know about a best dressed or anything but its very pretty.

10. Jess Mara October 15, 2019 at 12:21 am #

I love everything about this and will certainly add it to my BODTY list. I love that she went traditional and respectful – which was expected – but even more I love that she chose a ombre blue colour which is just divine on her.

11. Guest October 14, 2019 at 11:41 pm #

The color and ombre effect are great but other than that and the appropriateness for the location, this dress is not wowing me. Any little bit of style that it had was destroyed by the shoes. That being said, the Duchess looks appropriate, well groomed, appropriately bejeweled, and well tailored as usual but this not a BDOTW much less a BDOTY look for me.

12. Los_NGLS October 14, 2019 at 11:26 pm #

Ok, so obviously this is absolutely beautiful, no question about that, and there are not enough words in the English language to describe how much I DIE for a well done ombré.

As I studied the outfit and read the post, I had one immediate critique — why wear a South Asian inspired design by a Brit designer when you could just wear something by a South Asian designer? First one that comes to mind — ok, the only one I know ?— Sabyasachi! But then I thought about it some more. Sabyasachi is Indian and they were in Pakistan, which could have actually been a major faux pas given the history (and current) tensions between India and Pakistan, and while surely there are very talented Pakistani designers, perhaps the most diplomatic thing to do was to wear a British designer.

• Los_NGLS October 14, 2019 at 11:28 pm #

Oh also, what is up with these photographers? LMAO! Surely the half second before or after this shot had her making a much more flattering and less worried facial expression.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 15, 2019 at 6:55 am #

I think the part where you say, “Sabyasachi is Indian and they were in Pakistan, which could have actually been a major faux pas”

is exactly the reason why she opted to wear a bespoke creation by a British designer.

• Los_NGLS October 15, 2019 at 1:45 pm #

Well well [Maleficent voice], I SPOKE TOO SOON! Lol, I do that sometimes ?

13. Guest October 14, 2019 at 10:45 pm #

I’ve read those are Rupert Sanderson pumps.

14. Guest October 14, 2019 at 9:32 pm #

I think this is BDOTY worthy. It is so gorgeous. The color I was not expecting to be this bold and ombre. Stunning. No complaints here.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 15, 2019 at 6:50 am #

The colour floored me. I was just about to go to the gym when the pictures came in, and I dropped everything to post this. Stopped me dead in my tracks

• Guest October 15, 2019 at 2:19 pm #

I completely agree – definitely a BDOTY for me. She looks impeccable.

15. Guest October 14, 2019 at 8:30 pm #

I’m not quite certain of the shoulder line, but that’s nitpicking – neckline, style and colour are perfection.

16. MissHebble October 14, 2019 at 7:42 pm #

Yessss I love it! That ombre is to die for!

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 15, 2019 at 6:51 am #

It really is

17. Dominos October 14, 2019 at 7:23 pm #

Under normal circumstances i would say it’s matronly but as she’s in a conservative country i think it’s appropriate. That being said those shoes are really brining down the look.

18. Guest October 14, 2019 at 7:03 pm #

The heels look like Rupert Sanderson – Malory?

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 15, 2019 at 6:52 am #

Ok. Thanks. I just assumed as nice usually equals LK Bennett

19. Guest October 14, 2019 at 6:53 pm #

In the past I saw her having much more glamuruos moments so, even when I like her here, I don’t share the excitement. I think is the hair what doesn’t sell me this, an updo could have done a huge difference.

• Vu0n9 October 14, 2019 at 7:36 pm #

I totally agree on the updo hair.

20. Guest October 14, 2019 at 6:34 pm #

I know most people like to bash her for some reason, but I think it’s not easy looking like this all the time: whether you like or dislike her sense of style, she always looks impeccable, composed, perfect for the occasion and for her role of representative for her country, while also offering variation of style and colour in her outfits and some trendy moments here and there.

I’m not really sure about the shoes here, but I also wouldn’t know what would have looked best with this style of dress.

• Guest October 14, 2019 at 6:39 pm #

Everything you said. Enough with the Kate bashing. She always looks impeccable.

• Guest October 14, 2019 at 8:47 pm #

I agree! God knows I hated those coat dresses, but she is always tailored to perfection and appropriately dressed. I’m glad to see her having a more relaxed approach to dressing lately though.

The shoes also bother me although I can’t picture any alternative! I saw a picture of Diana in a similar outfit in silver flats, perhaps that would work, but I don’t think we will ever see Kate in flats on official occasions.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 15, 2019 at 6:48 am #

I think silver is a nice ideal

• Guest October 15, 2019 at 7:39 pm #

I like the silver shoe suggestion too.

21. Guest October 14, 2019 at 6:17 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous!! Fantastic dress! The shape and colour are divine and suit her perfectly!
    A different hairstyle would habe been absolute perfection!!!