Menu

Karolina Kurkova

Criminally Underrated Gown Award

Selena Gomez

Custom? Really? & From Bad to Worse Award

Marion Cotillard

I’ll Always Remember This Look Fondly….From The Back Award

Judging By The Comments, Both Looks Are Likely To Rank Highly On WDOTY Lists Award

Julianne Moore

Andie MacDowell

Most Likely To Be On My WDOTY List

Alessandra Ambrosio

When You Wrap A Piece Of Fabric Around Your Body, And Hope For The Best Award

Aishwarya Rai

Could’ve Been A Contender Award

I Strongly Believe That Had Christian Siriano Designed This, We Would Have Our BDOTY Award

Margot Robbie

Sui He & Shanina Shaik

Save This For The Bedroom & Unexpected Cannes Trend Award

Rita Sririta Jensen

Is It Me, Or Did She Only Pack One Gown? & Best Use of Dylon Award

Blake Lively, Jane Fonda & Fan Bingbing

Greatly Missed Award

Thank you all for your comments and votes during Cannes. It is by far the most challenging event I cover each year, but the most fun. Sadly this one has more misses than hits, but Elle Fanning and your comments made it all worth it.

Credit: Getty

, ,

Tracee Ellis Ross'  Contemporary Camel Coat For The 'Late Night' LA Premiere

Tracee Ellis Ross’ Contemporary Camel Coat For The ‘Late Night’ LA Premiere

2019 Cannes Film Festival Best Dressed Readers' Choice

2019 Cannes Film Festival Best Dressed Readers’ Choice

30 Responses to Fashion Critics’ 2019 Cannes Film Festival Roundup

1. Guest June 3, 2019 at 6:36 am #

Great roundup, as always. I look forward to Cannes just as much as your annual post and awards! Love it!

2. Charlotte2019 June 3, 2019 at 4:52 am #

what a lackluster year….I could only remember 2014 and 2016 being this boring.
    only look that wowed me is Jasmine Tookes

3. Guest June 3, 2019 at 2:22 am #

THANK YOU Catherine! Best caption award “When you wrap a piece of fabric around your body…..”

4. Guest June 2, 2019 at 5:48 pm #

Hello! Thank you for your Cannes coverage.

I think what held back some of this year’s biggest gowns was the styling & makeup. Elle’s was immaculate, while Rita Sririta Jensen seems to get lost in those pleated confections. The subdued, prom-esque makeup is out of place.

(btw, I love the look of Isabelle Huppert’s gown, but imagining the sound of sequins-on-sequins that must have occurred beneath her armpits every time she had to move makes me cringe)

5. OGCaroline June 2, 2019 at 5:35 pm #

Elle Fanning QUEEN OF CANNES FOREVER.

6. Guest June 2, 2019 at 2:16 am #

Even with so many misses this year, you did a great job..loved the coverage. Camilla Morrone stood out to me and very much agree with you on Christian Siriano designing Aishwarya’s gown.

Here’s hoping for a better Cannes next year!

7. Guest June 1, 2019 at 6:29 pm #

-I was expecting less from Deepeka. Like less fabric….
    -I know Cannes forbid flat shoes on the redcarpet for women, but are steamers forbidden too?
    -A very strong Cannes for Julianne Moore, while on the opposite of the spectrum is Tilda. The Haider Ackerman is particularly dissapointing because I love the idea but that matte fabric …yikes.
    -I really loved that Chanel on Marion Cotillard. She looked amazing.
    -Also Kate Young needs to reevaluate her work, most of her clients looked a mess, Selena, Margot…Kate seems to be the common denominator.
    – I really like that Etro on Karolina Kurkova but I keep forgetting about it?
    – I’m surprised at how few looks we got from Elle Fanning? I loved the Dior.
    – Dakota Fanning Armanis is underated.
    – Natasha Poly got the best Versace (amfar)
    – We need less models, i i love them, but most them dress terrible and all their looks end up blending in just one. Karolina Kurkova and Natasha Poly seem to be one of the few that do well consistently every year.
    – Thank you Catherine for your effort during the festival.

8. Guest June 1, 2019 at 3:24 pm #

Thank you Catherine for your hard work!

9. Guest June 1, 2019 at 2:41 pm #

Thank you FC for all the amazing work and effort you put in, especially with Cannes, it’s a lot to process so kudos!
    Love the round up and agree with all of them!

10. Guest June 1, 2019 at 10:09 am #

Hmm some better looks than I had remembered, but also some of the worst looks to ever grace the red carpet. What a rollercoaster!

I feel like if Julianne’s silver/pink Givenchy had been worn at a different event it would have been appreciated more and be a BDOTY contender. For me it was the best of the festival, and probably her best this year.

Well done for showing restraint when replying to some of the less savoury comments FC; you take undeserved criticism and horrible comments with such grace and humour.

11. Guest June 1, 2019 at 7:26 am #

Greta round-up and overall coverage of the fest, thanks FC!

My overall favourite was Loreal chinese ambassador Guan Xiaotong in Atelier Versace at the Pain and Glory premiere. Perfection. Much better than the other Versace she wore to the Loreal party.

12. SarahS95 June 1, 2019 at 7:12 am #

Thanks Catherine!! Another year of phenomenal coverage, and as always love the roundup – what a year of highest highs and then very low lows!

13. Guest June 1, 2019 at 7:01 am #

Thanks for your hard work. If next years attendees could just message you for styling advice that would be great.

• Jerusa04 June 1, 2019 at 8:54 am #

+ 1

• Guest June 1, 2019 at 11:58 am #

So true

14. Guest June 1, 2019 at 6:54 am #

Haha, there is no actual Best Dressed of the event award!! So true!! Cannes have never been more disappointing, not a single BDOTY worthy look, as far as I’m concerned, but, yes, Elle was the Queen, no doubt!

“At Least She Tried Something Different & In A League Of Her Own Award” I’d give it to Leomie Anderson in Rami Kadi bodysuit though – the look was EXTRA striking, Cannes-worthy dramatic , risque, and one of a kind, indeed. Nieves’s look – not really special or unusual or dramatic enough, sorry, it’s rather standard- black-and-white modern drama.

15. Guest June 1, 2019 at 5:49 am #

Why not just give all the awards to elle fanning since you guys are so obsessed with her.

My best dressed thru out the festival was Isabelle huppert and julianne Moore in the pink and metallic gown

Over rated award-Ellen fanning

• Guest June 1, 2019 at 3:23 pm #

• Guest June 3, 2019 at 11:07 am #

I said what I said. Beach

• Guest June 3, 2019 at 12:59 pm #

Yeah, you said it under EVERY poll. So you can stop it now.

16. Guest June 1, 2019 at 3:56 am #

thank you FC! as always, flawless work. xo

17. Guest June 1, 2019 at 2:15 am #

Wonderful recap, as always. Thank you for your hard work in covering this event.

Isabelle, Leomie, and Camila were some of my favorites, and I’m super glad they made it into your recap.

18. Phee phee June 1, 2019 at 1:19 am #

Catrinels swan dress was amazing. I was shocked at the dislike.
    And I agree that if Siriano had designed Aishwaryas dress, we would of thought different. he’s got such perfection when it comes to each detail.

I thought the Cannes was good. Not the most exciting but good.
    I was sooo curious the entire two weeks what people wanted in their dresses…what were they expecting?
    Honest curiosity, not trying to put anyone down.
    I was hoping people would put up pics on the type of dresses they DID want to see.

Anywayssss, Awesome coverage Catherine! Thanks for your hard work. You put a lot of time and effort into this site and I just adore it!!

19. Guest May 31, 2019 at 10:45 pm #

Your coverage for Cannes was awesome, as usual. So, what’s the next big event, Venice Film Festival? Can’t wait. ?

20. Guest May 31, 2019 at 11:24 pm #

Thank you so much for all the hard work during Cannes and as always I love your roundups.

• Paola102 June 3, 2019 at 1:46 pm #

Was waiting for those 2 posts!

21. Vizual Ninja May 31, 2019 at 11:19 pm #

LOL always on point, FC. “When You Wrap A Piece Of Fabric Around Your Body, And Hope For The Best Award” had me dying. Yes, Cannes was a disappointment but your impeccable coverage, as usual, was not. Thanks for all you do!

22. Guest May 31, 2019 at 10:55 pm #

Thank you Catherine for your great work. Lol we can tell it’s an extremely disappointing red carpet event from FC’s round up, when FC is trying so hard to give them a nice/humor/funny comment.

I think I’ve missed the original post of Sui He, cause she is going straight to my WDOTY list.

23. Jerusa04 May 31, 2019 at 10:38 pm #

Agreed 100% with your selection. Thank you again for this amazing work you so kindly do for the love of fashion.

24. Guest May 31, 2019 at 10:11 pm #

I always look forward to your roundups. They are so funny, on-point and the perfect way to recap the events. Thank you so much for all your hard work. You are awesome!