Menu

May 24, 2019

amfAR Cannes Gala 2019

Posted by Heather Cichowski

The Cannes Film Festival might be winding down, but we still have an abundance of looks to discuss. Celebrities were out in full force at the amfAR Cannes Gala 2019 at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc on Thursday (May 23) in Cap d’Antibes. They joined Nina Dobrev, Dua Lipa and Kendall Jenner.

Karolina Kurkova: The Czech beauty had one of the more understated approaches to embellishment in Gabriela Hearst Spring 2019 with Messika jewels. A darker version was previously worn by Zoe Kravitz.

Natasha Poly: Never mind the sexy slashes of glittery fabric. It was all about the half-hood of her Atelier Versace outfit. I want to see it from all angles.

Leomie Anderson: The Victoria’s Secret Angel was rainbow bright in custom Rami Kadi. The lower saturation of the colours was a nice choice and the gradient showcased the draped fringe.

Coco Rocha: She was working her Ashi Studio Couture gown for all its worth, but the finishing touches aren’t jiving with the playful puffed style. The swirled bun is distracting.

Winnie Harlow: Outfitted in Richard Quinn Fall 2019, the Canadian model wasn’t to be missed in an explosion of tulle, pattern and sparkle. Methinks many will want the messy tulle removed.

Sara Sampaio: The Portuguese stunner recalled the ‘Black Swan’ in a dramatic manner in Armani Prive with Messika jewels.

Jasmine Tookes: It was refreshing to see this sunny Georges Chakra Spring 2019 Couture gown with Stuart Weitzman shoes amidst all of heavy embellishment.

Cindy Bruna: Her Balmain Spring 2019 Haute Couture dress captivated more than some of the sparkly styles because of the way it looked like twinkling water. It was brilliant given the setting.

Praya Lundberg: The model-actress’s custom Etro ensemble didn’t lack for shine, but it didn’t feel overcooked thanks to her simplified beauty look and sandals.

Josephine Skriver: Two delicate styles came together in her charming Alberta Ferretti Limited Edition dress. The dark lipstick countered any twee.

Marina Ruy Barbosa: The asymmetry of her necklace is enchanting and the Vivienne Westwood Couture dress is divine with her colouring, but I wish she wore the pieces separately.

Elsa Hosk: Her custom Redemption look with Rene Caovilla Cleo pumps was a reprieve from all of the maxi silhouettes, but the long gloves with puffs will likely be a hard sell.

Adriana Lima: The Brazilian beauty looked like an Old Hollywood siren in Ester Abner with Christian Louboutin ‘Theodorella’ pumps and Chopard jewels.

Hailey Clauson: Also showing leg, she donned Redemption Fall 2019. The Christian Louboutin ‘Naked Bow’ pumps were the perfect finish to the tuxedo-inspired look.

Martha Hunt: She oozed regal grandeur in Monique Lhuillier Fall 2019 with Christian Louboutin ‘Jonatina’ sandals, but the ankle-length dress might throw some people off.

Ana Beatriz Barros: Beading, feathers, sheer and leg were all present in her icy Georges Hobeika Fall 2018 Couture dress. Editing would have stopped some of the costumey feel.

Izabel Goulart: This eye-popping Julien Macdonald outfit with Chopard jewels was very much in her wheelhouse. Even among other racy looks, it will be remembered.

Stella Maxwell: Offering a more angelic mood, the blonde beauty balanced sensuality and softness in Atelier Versace with David Yurman jewels.

Shanina Shaik: Hers was another quieter take with the Georges Hobeika dress almost disappearing with its feather-light fabric. Giuseppe Zanotti shoes didn’t overpower the delicate frock.

Eva Longoria: Her Alberta Ferretti Limited Edition dress had plenty of elements to draw the eye in but it was lost because of the excess amount of bronzer on her legs.

Who was your favourite?

Credit: Getty

Nina Dobrev In Christian Dior - amfAR Cannes Gala 2019

Nina Dobrev In Christian Dior – amfAR Cannes Gala 2019

Maria Fernanda Cândido In Christian Dior -  'The Traitor' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Maria Fernanda Cândido In Christian Dior – ‘The Traitor’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

25 Responses to amfAR Cannes Gala 2019

1. Guest May 27, 2019 at 1:07 pm #

Josephine Skriver and Hailey Clauson are my favorite ones.

2. Shah Shahin Ali Shah Shahin Ali May 26, 2019 at 1:46 pm #

SHAH SHAHIN ALI

3. Shah Shahin Ali Shah Shahin Ali May 26, 2019 at 1:46 pm #

I LOVEU My Friend

4. Charlotte2019 May 25, 2019 at 2:01 pm #

I gay gasped upon seeing Jasmine
    Gurl…….SO STUNNING.

aside from her I thought everyone looked so gorgeous and sexy here.
    Expect for Ms.Winnie-tryhard-Harlow

5. Sharon M May 25, 2019 at 11:01 am #

Jasmine, Sara and Karolina for me.

6. Guest May 25, 2019 at 4:58 am #

Jasmine – one of the best looks of this year’s underwhelming Cannes easily, it has a lovely spring festival flair, some charm and drama. And also Sara Sampaio – it may be a black look, but wow such drama. And shout-out to Stella Maxwell – she looks simply sexy, beautiful, even a touch romantic.

• Guest May 25, 2019 at 9:32 am #

These were my favourites too!

7. Guest May 25, 2019 at 4:30 am #

Wow Natasha Poly looks stunning! Now that is how you wear Versace!

8. Guest May 24, 2019 at 11:45 pm #

Most of these looks are great. A lot of pretty dresses.

9. Guest May 24, 2019 at 9:10 pm #

Jasmine is my favorite of these. Natasha runner up.

10. Guest May 24, 2019 at 8:11 pm #

Leomie is my favorite here. Jasmine & Sara also look great as well.

11. Guest May 24, 2019 at 6:13 pm #

Natasha

12. Guest May 24, 2019 at 5:19 pm #

1. Natasha Poly
    2. Leomie Anderson
    3. Karolina Kurkova

13. Guest May 24, 2019 at 5:18 pm #

Jasmine, Cindy and Josephine are my favourite dressed here. Winnie can’t pull off that tulle, just the print a column dress would have worked well, and I think I preferred Lily Aldridge’s Met Gala version. Karolina is disappointing here though it’s nice enough she used to really bring it.

14. Vizual Ninja May 24, 2019 at 4:12 pm #

Most of them look fantastic, I dare say. We do still have some thirsty and dated few, but this is a good round up for the models. I love Karolina, Josephine and Jasmine. And shoutout to Sara and Winnie, that’s a personal best for her I think.

15. Guest May 24, 2019 at 3:54 pm #

I think most of these women look good here — well dressed event. My favorite by a long way is Jasmine but really all I have no complaints about any of them because the looks range from good to great except Elsa, Isabel, Ana, Izabel, Shanina, and Eva. Somehow, despite the abundance of feathers, I find Sara’s look to be lovely while Ana’s looks too much like a bird.

16. OGCaroline May 24, 2019 at 3:48 pm #

Karolina: Such a BORING look.
    Natasha: A goddess.
    Leomie: Why doing her like that?
    Coco: She could pull off anything.
    Winnie: Dramatic and impactful.
    Sara: Best dressed of the event hands down.
    Jasmine: She looks absolutely breathtaking.
    Cindy, Praya and Josephine: Lovely and polished.
    Marina: Dated colour.
    Elsa: Love this for a different occasion.
    Adriana: She’s so stunning but that is not the best dress.
    Hailey: Try again next year.
    Martha, Ana and Izabel: Dated, cheap and tacky part 1.
    Stella: Ethereal look.
    Shanina and Eva: Dated, cheap and tacky part 2.

17. Guest May 24, 2019 at 3:45 pm #

Love Karolina for the simplicity. A stand out among so many less than there dresses.

18. Phee phee May 24, 2019 at 3:28 pm #

Jasmine looks amazing! that color….and the shoulder detail….so gorgeous and elegant.
    Easily a bdotw for me.

Josephine looks lovely too. Pretty dress. so angelic
    Overall, a well dressed event.
    except for some sheers. Karolina is usually much more inspiring.

19. Catarina_M May 24, 2019 at 3:25 pm #

Adriana looks like Morticia Adams. Sara & Jasmine are my favourites.

20. NZ May 24, 2019 at 3:24 pm #

Love Cindy and Jasmine, their dresses are mesmerizing on their own without looking overcooked.
    Marina looks gorgeous, I love her dress but I don’t like the necklace.
    While we’ve seen similar looks before I still appreciate what Sara, Natasha, Stella and Karolina wore to this event, they were undeniably elegant.

21. Guest May 24, 2019 at 3:20 pm #

Ok – this was not that bad. 🙂

Sara is the best IMO.
    I also LIKE Josephine (keeps getting better) and Leomie.

Natasha and Jasmine are also kinda ok.
    Karolia & Haily for the short and more simple ones.
    Even Elsa is interesting.

I DON’T LIKE Coco, Winnie, Cindy, Adriana, Ana, Stella, Shanina and Eva.
    Praya, Marina, Martha and Izabel are meh.

22. Guest May 24, 2019 at 3:17 pm #

Cindy Bruna’s gown in motion is spectacular. It really does evoke twinkling water, which is just perfect for Cannes. Also I appreciate that the silhouette is unlike the rest.

Karolina Kurkova is the picture of elegance. So clean and refined and graceful, she just wears this flawlessly. I love that the earrings reference the beading on the dress.

Natasha Poly and Versace are classic together. She’s posing the hell outta that gown. It’s a stunning colour on her!