Menu

‘Once Upon a Time In Hollywood’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Yet again, a runway’s worth of models strutted out a range of looks at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival’s premiere of ‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ on Tuesday (May 21) in France.

Winnie Harlow: This Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2017 Haute Couture gown was attention-grabbing to be sure. The obvious sheerness and shortness was one thing, but the sequins that lined the hems and the veil headpiece conveyed something of a costume-y quality that I am sure will be a love-or-loathe element. Jimmy Choo ‘Minny’ sandals completed the look.

Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2017 Haute Couture

Leomie Anderson: Putting her gorgeous gams to work, the model flaunted a custom Rami Kadi Couture bodysuit-gown hybrid. The flash was real here, but the was plenty of edgy glamour radiating from that sculpted bustle and long train that glinted every step of the way with the mosaic, broken glass embellishment.

Doutzen Kroes: Walking on a different sort of wild side, Doutzen covered up in a Tom Ford animal-print gown with allover fringe elements. With the dramatic makeup, it was serving a Studio 54 glam mood.

Tom Ford

Duckie Thot: Also getting the leggy, high-low memo, she donned a Vivienne Westwood Couture gown with Rene Caovilla ‘Celebrita’ sandals. Did anyone else get the impression that it looked like a theatre curtain around her waist? There was a lot of fabric encircling her on each side.

Sara Sampaio: Skin-tone gowns don’t always fare well, so I’m curious to know how you feel about this Georges Hobeika Spring 2019 Couture strapless gown that looked a bit like a super-comfy plush rug. Regardless of your thoughts on the gown, I’m sure you can agree that the  vintage Boucheron jewels together with her dark locks were a striking counterbalance to the peachy-nude hue.

Georges Hobeika Spring 2019 Couture

Sasha Luss: Perhaps it was the length of the dress (or the creases in the side panels), but this Chanel Spring 2015 Haute Couture seemed more like a photocall look. I still loved the pretty-in-pink sweetness of it, with René Caovilla ‘Ellabrita’ sandals to accessorize.

Chanel Spring 2015 Haute Couture

Madison Headrick: It’s always nice to see a unique colour on the red carpet, as with this Miu Miu design. Were the bedazzled cutouts too pageant-y for you?

Coco Rocha: This sheer Elie Saab Spring 2018 Haute Couture gown was a marvel of dazzling embellishment — and such a Coco look with its vintage-inspired mood that she elevated further with her theatrical smoky eye makeup. Not that she needed more sparkle, but why not add Chopard jewels for good measure.

Elie Saab Spring 2018 Haute Couture

Luma Grothe: Speaking of costume quality, Luma also was serving a mood in this Alexandre Vauthier Spring 2019 Couture sequin gown. Vampy is what it said to me. But, I didn’t love the shortening effect of the silhouette — even on her statuesque frame.

Alexandre Vauthier Spring 2019 Couture

Josephine Skriver: This Philosophy Di Lorenzo Serafini pink sequin gown had all the standard sexiness of a slit-to-there, corset gown. But, it also seemed rather dated, to which the updo didn’t help the cause.

, ,

Zhang Ziyi In Zuhair Murad - ‘Once Upon a Time In Hollywood’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Zhang Ziyi In Zuhair Murad – ‘Once Upon a Time In Hollywood’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' London Photocall

‘X-Men: Dark Phoenix’ London Photocall

16 Responses to ‘Once Upon a Time In Hollywood’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Guest May 22, 2019 at 2:35 pm #

I think Coco’s gown is stunning and feels very Art Deco inspired but I FIND her transparent white skin and thick black eyeliner distracting. Same goes for Doutzen – I hardly recognized her with that make-up. Winnie is in the running for WDOTY and Sasha’s dress looks cheap.

2. Guest May 22, 2019 at 10:51 am #

Winnie was trying to be some sort Grace Jones maverick but just looks silly instead. I really wish Sasha had worn her hair up and the longer runway version of the Chanel gown. The colour of Madison’s dress is so gorgeous but I’m crazy about the actual dress. I like Sara’s dress with the styling but really wish it were in a different colour. I wish Doutzen had picked a dress that was even as half as beautiful as she is, that Tom Ford dress is ugly. I might have been more of a fan of Duckie’s dress had it been full length. The others are so meh.

Models generally fail to impress on the red carpet.

3. Guest May 22, 2019 at 9:40 am #

Way to resin a dress, Winnie. How many times did she flash the crowd?

Love Coco’s dress and Doutzen looks drop dead gorgeous, as usual.

4. Guest May 22, 2019 at 6:59 am #

I love Sara’s look! As you said, the jewels match the dress perfectly ??
    I wish Leomie wasn’t wearing panties, otherwise it would be a great fashion moment.
    Hate Winnie and Luma’s looks.
    The rest of them look pretty but boring.

5. Guest May 22, 2019 at 6:30 am #

LOVE the color of Madison’s dress and that’s pretty much it.

Winnie’s Gaultier is absolutely fantastic and deserving of a red carpet like Cannes, but she absolutely ruined it with the lazy (non existent?) styling and the thirsty attitude. She took a meaningful confection and turned it into an opportunity to show off her pins… SHAME!

6. Charlotte2019 May 22, 2019 at 6:28 am #

Thank god for Madison Headrick for wearing a simple color column dress.
    That all I need at this point

7. Guest May 22, 2019 at 5:55 am #

Can’t help but love Leomie!! It’s models only, she’s rocking the hell out of that striking Couture piece, perfection!!!

• Guest May 22, 2019 at 11:05 am #

+1!

8. Guest May 22, 2019 at 5:28 am #

I love Sara’s look ! I knew that this gown will be hitting Cannes red carpet when it was presented ; and I love the addition of gold & brown wood-like jewels !

9. Jess Mara May 22, 2019 at 5:03 am #

Sara looks great and I love the jewellery.
    Im warming up to Doutzen and Coco but the rest are hot messes!
    Winnie looks like she belongs on Strictly or some costume dance show.

10. Guest May 22, 2019 at 4:18 am #

I like Sasha’s dress.

Josephine’s is nice as well but the styling could have been better.
    She might get it right by the end of the week if she keeps attending.

Madison and Coco are ok.

11. Phee phee May 22, 2019 at 2:49 am #

Winnies is horrendous. what a mess.
    Leomie could of had a winner if her bathing suit was actually a long slinky dress.
    Sasha has a terrific photocall look on. too bad it wasn’t photocall.
    Doutzen looks sexy. perhaps a better after-party dress?
    Sara looks lovely. The jewelry really sets it off.
    the rest meh.

12. Guest May 22, 2019 at 2:37 am #

Deep sigh about these. None are great. Put me in the loathe camp for Winnie and meh for all the others.

13. Vizual Ninja May 22, 2019 at 2:36 am #

I feel like this is a better effort from the models this evening because I actually like one or two here. I like Sara & Madison. So unfortunate for Duckie, I love the green on her and that embroidery design waist up is lovely but that random piece of fabric looks like a poor afterthought.

14. Guest May 22, 2019 at 2:36 am #

Always wonder : why does high fashion models rarely wowed us on red carpets? They have the height and look to pull off most dresses, and are trained for poises and walks, but many times they are average (or let down) on red carpet. They look nice, but not outstanding.

15. SarahS95 May 22, 2019 at 2:27 am #

Big sigh scrolling through all of these – just nothing jumping out for the right reasons unfortunately!