Menu

May 19, 2019 Premiere

Aishwarya Rai In Jean-Louis Sabaji Couture - ‘A Hidden Life’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan finally made her first red carpet appearance of the 2019 Cannes Film Festival for the premiere ‘A Hidden Life (Une Vie Cachée)’ on Sunday (May 19).

Before I get into this.  May I remind you that it has often been said that outside of Cannes, Aishwarya always dresses as if she was at Cannes.

So I wasn’t at all surprised to see her serve up something new in this Jean-Louis Sabaji Couture gown.

Aishwarya has done Michael Cinco two years in a row, and with Rita Sririta Jensen serving up two similar gowns from said designer, I’m glad that I’m not seeing another iteration of that style of gown.

I adore the change of direction with this futuristic look and iridescent fabric.

Does it have shades of Thierry Mugler? Yes.

Do I feel like this would’ve been a great Met Gala look? Yes.

Do I love it even though there needed to be a little bit more finessing, especially on the pointed detailing?  Yes.

Boucheron jewels completed her look.

Embed from Getty Images

Credit: Getty

, , , , , , , ,

Huma Qureshi In Gaurav Gupta Couture - 'A Hidden Life’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Huma Qureshi In Gaurav Gupta Couture – ‘A Hidden Life’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Min Pechaya In Ashi Studio Couture - ‘A Hidden Life’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Min Pechaya In Ashi Studio Couture – ‘A Hidden Life’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

60 Responses to Aishwarya Rai In Jean-Louis Sabaji Couture – ‘A Hidden Life’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Madwoman May 21, 2019 at 1:38 pm #

She tried to look like a goldfish and failed. Not Instagram-worthy, sorry!

2. Guest May 21, 2019 at 2:07 am #

FC, did you see she brought her daughter along for this premiere (colour-coordinated, no less)? I’m not a fan of Aishwarya’s outfit but I think she and her daughter are pretty cute: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxpqrCmBfSc/

3. Guest May 20, 2019 at 9:27 pm #

Gorgeous! Gown & Goddess!

4. Guest May 20, 2019 at 6:27 pm #

Reptilian; not a good color choice. It takes a lot to make beautiful Aishwarya look bad.

5. Guest May 20, 2019 at 5:18 pm #

What would you all have dressed her in? Any picks for Ms. Rai because I am kind of thinking there’s nothing new she can bring to this festival. Maybe go ethnic and wear Indian? Go float-y and wear something in chiffon and breezy? We have mostly seen her in very structured fabrics these last few years so this could be a change? Or perhaps a tux?

• Guest May 22, 2019 at 1:12 am #

Ah a pity I didnt get any replies to this.

6. Charlotte2019 May 20, 2019 at 12:28 pm #

The more I stare at these photos,the more I feel like she purchased the Cleopetra Hollween costume from Party City for 10 dollars

7. Guest May 20, 2019 at 11:30 am #

I’m in awe… THIS is Cannes. My most memorable look of the year thus far. Queen Of Cannes!

8. Guest May 20, 2019 at 11:03 am #

I agree this is so cheap looking. The fabric is horrible and it looks like a costume.

9. Guest May 20, 2019 at 11:01 am #

I love aishwarya with the passion of thousand suns! but this is perhaps the worst she has ever looked at cannes!

The ridiculous gold tint on the inside of her ears reminds me of when we used to play with colors in the Festival of Holi and then even after a rigorous wash you’d find color on the inside and backside of your ear!

I really hope she does better for her second outing! this year cannes has been quite disappointing – I hope Sonam comes out to save it! I honestly cant remember a noteworthy look from any of the many sirens!

10. alvarospain May 20, 2019 at 9:08 am #

This is so ugly!!!

11. Guest May 20, 2019 at 8:13 am #

This is something new. Unlike most ladies glad she went for something new with a theme.

12. Charlotte2019 May 20, 2019 at 7:52 am #

I won’t even bother sugarcoating this,I hate the cheap-looking fabric and the train.
    she deserves so much better

13. CharlotteLG May 20, 2019 at 7:31 am #

Yes it’s something different from her but the dress looks really cheap and dated.

14. Guest May 20, 2019 at 6:02 am #

Firstly, outside of Cannes, Aishwarya NEVER makes a real attempt to dress up, leave alone do anything risque. Because of her breathtaking features, she always looks presentable, though.

Secondly, I really appreciate that she has finally decided to do away with the embellished gowns and try something edgy and different. But she fails to do justice to the whole concept on a look that could blow people away:

The fabric becauseof it’s fall & texture, looks weird as it doesn’t hug her body too well. Maybe they needed an extra fitting.
    Also, m not a fan of this makeup. If the outfit is futuristic, why not go for over the top cat’s eye with maybe a green-golden dual tone shadow echoing the outfit.
    I feel the entire enocept of the look wasn’t executed properly.

15. salma128 May 20, 2019 at 5:16 am #

she looks like a fried golden fish!

16. Guest May 20, 2019 at 4:46 am #

Sorry – but this is not good.

The fabric looks cheap, the fit is not good…
    Just no.

17. Guest May 20, 2019 at 4:32 am #

Even that horrendous costume can’t make Aishwarya look bad 🙂

18. Vizual Ninja May 20, 2019 at 3:58 am #

Hmm I don’t hate it, I get what others are saying about the fabric looking ‘cheap’, I think it’s the visible seams. I do like this gold iridescence on her and that she chose an edgier look plus that gorgeous face. Not her best that’s for sure but not terrible either.

19. Guest May 20, 2019 at 3:46 am #

Details are exquisite! Elegance and panache of this lady is unmatched.

20. Guest May 20, 2019 at 2:54 am #

The design and cut of the gown is amazing, but the fabric shows up all the flaws in its execution. This is just almost for me not quite a wow.

21. Guest May 20, 2019 at 1:53 am #

Does it remind me of something my Barbie doll wore in 1999? Yes.

22. Guest May 20, 2019 at 1:39 am #

I was on the fence but then I saw the close ups and I think this looks like something desperate youtuber would wear at the MTVs awards or something, looks poorly constructed. She does looks beautiful from the neck up, but she always does. Also, props to her for trying something new.

23. Jess Mara May 20, 2019 at 12:57 am #

I love the design and the colour but there is something about the fabric that feels off for me. Sorry but not going on my BDOTW list.

24. Guest May 20, 2019 at 12:26 am #

This woman is so beautiful and I am thrilled to see her not wearing a princess gown. This dress looks cheap sort of like a costume from a low budget sci-fi movie that is set under water. Even do, my happiness at the style change outweighs my dislike of the gown so I’ll call this as a win for Aishwarya.

25. Guest May 19, 2019 at 11:31 pm #

hideous!

26. saudin May 19, 2019 at 11:10 pm #

Very costume-y and cheap

27. artistonfire May 19, 2019 at 10:41 pm #

Beautiful woman. Stunningly beautiful.

28. Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:37 pm #

This is so horribly tacky.. not even her face can save such a trashy look

29. Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:23 pm #

All eyes on Sonam Kapoor now. Let’s see how that goes.While I reapect the ambition, the fabric reads as wrapping paper, and when combined with the design, makes this look like a costume for an intergalactic creature from a television show of the 70s.

30. HighPriestess May 19, 2019 at 10:16 pm #

She looks good, but the dress is boring (which is incredible considering the fabric/construction).

I’m disappointed at the Cannes red carpet this year, but I don’t blame the celebrities. Most designers have been dropping the ball for the past two or three collections, so there are no interesting outfits to wear.

31. Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:14 pm #

It’s a dreadful dress (it’s even worse in close-up pictures) and, let’s face it, I’m 100% sure there’ll be almost no discussion about that had it been worn by any other woman without the incredible stance, poise and class this lady possesses.

She’s SO much better than this.

• Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:21 pm #

It’s actually one of Sabaji’s safer creations. Not for everyone, but dare if you care! 😉

• Guest May 20, 2019 at 6:47 am #

I’m not familiar with the designer’s work I’ll admit, and by any means I implied it was safe or boring, I even find the whole Metropolis femme fatale thing interesting…

Said this, the execution is terrible; I’m sure the fabric isn’t specially helpful but please look at the sleeve…THE SLEEVE, it’s a trainwreck…

I’m sure the designer could’ve done better

32. Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:13 pm #

so cheap its sad

33. Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:08 pm #

First of all, I very much appreciate how modern and fresh the concept is, and I love the colours.
    But, I can’t look past how cheap this looks, like it was tailored so haphazardly that there are wrinkles sewn into it. The front close-up looks particularly bad. It just doesn’t look like couture. It looks like it was thrown together in the basement of a Halloween store.
    Still, I can see and respect how it can have guilty-pleasure potential.

34. ? May 19, 2019 at 10:06 pm #

I am not sure about the dress to be honest… It would be more suited for the Met Gala…
    But what I really wanted to comment on, is her ears. Has she painted them golden??? If that’s the case, I find myself loving it! It looks really cool!

anonymous as always

• Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:10 pm #

I also noticed those gold-kissed ears, along with many other details that escaped me at first glance. (one thing for sure – the material is far from cheap) Oh well! Maybe others will appreciate all the secret-mosaic stylings from head-to-toe. It’s growing on me, more & more.

35. Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:04 pm #

so costumey

36. Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:03 pm #

You know how much I love Aishwarya, but i can’t find the silver lining in this golden costume.

1. the fabric has a lot of innovation but its too stiff to be elegant. better suited for cushions i guess.

2. if they were going for a metallic moment, there were other designer and collections to opt from. This just looks like someone wrapped her in tinfoil.

3. The fit is BAD. the futuristic detailing is so bad, Mugler must be laughing. I mean this was made for her, and yet the fit is hideous. doesnt do much for the designer’s reputation either.

If this fit her like a glove, if it did something postive for a frame, then it could have been a winner, but currently, is stays firmly in the realm of costume. I cant believe the stylist failed this beautiful woman so spectacularly.

Time for Aishwarya to be more involved and maybe get a new stylist.

37. Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:56 pm #

Wow this is horrible.

• Jerusa04 May 19, 2019 at 10:57 pm #

+1 :/

38. Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:50 pm #

Aishwarya + Sabaji = a winning team! For me, this is classic Cannes. (bonus: it sure seems to set the toxic trolls off. LOL!)

39. Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:50 pm #

It’s striking and different and the iridescence is beautiful but it has a little cheap feeling, I think it it needed more finesse to impress more.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards May 19, 2019 at 9:52 pm #

Yes. It was so close to being BDOTY worthy.

• Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:55 pm #

With a few tweaks and this would have been truly epic. The back with train is rather stunning.

• Guest May 20, 2019 at 12:39 am #

I agree with you! At first glance it was very stunning, but the more you look at it… it becomes worse

40. Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:48 pm #

I hate this haha. the cheap fabric, the horrible fit, the face puffiness emphasizing hair. the Indian girls are a big let down this year

• Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:50 pm #

Totally agree!

41. NZ May 19, 2019 at 9:48 pm #

I’m not gonna pretend I like this because I don’t. I hate the color and the fabric, it looks incredibly cheap.

Cannes is a snooze this year. Not even Aishwarya could save it.

42. Phee phee May 19, 2019 at 9:47 pm #

Aww boy.
    Well, I love the edgy shoulder and train. I was hoping for something different on the rc.
    BUT….the fabric is horrendously cheap looking. Almost halloween costume kind of fabric.
    It destroys my love of this completely.

43. Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:46 pm #

Wowza! Aish is back! Now, we may begin. Digging the details…so many shimmering subtleties, almost impossible to take in on first viewing.

44. Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

Few can carry couture! Aish is one of the royal fashion-few. Beautiful!

45. Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm #

I already had a feeling when I saw this one that people are going to be divided about this look. But I am on the side which likes the look. I feel it is experimental, kind of futuristic, edgy and something fresh from Aish. ??

46. OGCaroline May 19, 2019 at 9:39 pm #

Incredibly cheap!

• Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:44 pm #

Agree!

• Guest May 19, 2019 at 10:01 pm #

Bless your heart. You like…your own thumbs. How sweet. LOL!

• OGCaroline May 19, 2019 at 10:07 pm #

Huh?

• Guest May 20, 2019 at 4:21 am #

Yup, my instant thought.

47. Guest May 19, 2019 at 9:39 pm #

🙂 va-va-voom! Gorgeous! Amazing Aishwarya!