Menu

16.01.19

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Oscar de la Renta – Royal Opera House Visit

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Oscar de la Renta -  Royal Opera House Visit

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge was in high spirits as she arrived at the Royal Opera House in central London today (January 16).

It looks like royal purple is proving to be the winter power colour of the week.

The Duchess looked classically elegant in a purple Oscar de la Renta peplum jacket and matching skirt, styled with Rupert Sanderson ‘Malory’ pumps and an Aspinal of London bag.

Never one to shy away from recycling her wardrobe, Catherine first wore this look two years ago to the UK Guild of Health Writers Conference alongside Prince William. The styling was pretty much the same for both outings.

Credit: Getty

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Anya Taylor-Joy In Dolce & Gabbana - ‘Glass’ New York Premiere

Anya Taylor-Joy In Dolce & Gabbana – ‘Glass’ New York Premiere

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Emporio Armani & H&M MAMA - Mayhew Visits

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Emporio Armani & H&M – Mayhew Visits

27 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Oscar de la Renta – Royal Opera House Visit

1. Caroline January 17, 2019 at 2:49 pm #

I feel like this look is either suited for a child princess or the queen mother.

• Laraine January 18, 2019 at 11:01 pm #

+1 Her style is not very sophisticated.

2. Cris January 16, 2019 at 8:14 pm #

Her outfits age her by 5 years at least. And that’s all I’m going to say…

3. Eva January 16, 2019 at 7:27 pm #

Love the magenta! She can wear such a large colour palette. And the hair is gorgeous.
    However, I am not crazy about the style or shoes.

4. Milla B. January 16, 2019 at 5:14 pm #

I absolutely love the colour, it’s so beautiful and vibrant. Unfortunately I don’t like the jacket / skirt style.

5. CreoleLady January 16, 2019 at 4:57 pm #

Love the magenta. Her hair looks particularly lush against the purplish tones of the dress.

6. brat January 16, 2019 at 4:14 pm #

I never saw the first outing, and much prefer the second no matter the similarities, she looks great as always. Kate has model proportions and everything always fits her like a dream. All I see are those perfect legs.

7. TeaAtTwo January 16, 2019 at 3:10 pm #

I love the colour on her but the suit looks so 90s tv presenter and not in cool retro way

8. meme January 16, 2019 at 2:46 pm #

She looks lovely. She always does.

9. Nat123 January 16, 2019 at 2:43 pm #

I hate the shoes and the tights in this look. Plus, this type of look is starting to look dated on her. Honestly, I thought it was a picture from 2 years ago when I first saw her look on instagram this morning.

• justme January 16, 2019 at 4:34 pm #

• JHH January 16, 2019 at 4:39 pm #

10. Tina K January 16, 2019 at 2:04 pm #

Unnecessarily tight as usual. I mean the model in the photo is skinny and the brilliant tailoring looks so flattering and expensive on her, while on Kate it looks cheap. My biggest problem with her is that she can choose a variety of designers but never an outfit which resembles the designers true aesthetic. They all fall into her “Sunday school teacher” style wheelhouse. Rarely does a McQueen look like a McQueen on her, or an Erdem. They all look like something she could have easily picked up at Zara or Topshop. With an exception of Jenny Packham, I rarely like anything on her.

• Nat123 January 16, 2019 at 2:45 pm #

So true. McQueen on her never looks like a true McQueen design that you can spot a mile away. It is such a waste of good designer =(

• Lara January 16, 2019 at 2:53 pm #

Unnecessarily tight???? Wuttt? What on earth about this, or almost anything she wears is tight? She literally has model proportions in many ways so I’m not getting that point at all. Her clothing, to me, is always “appropriate”. Rarely exciting or fancy or “fashion”, but simply “appropriate”. This is no exception.

• Tina K January 16, 2019 at 5:10 pm #

Of course her coats and dresses are extra tight around the bust and waist. When I see the look on the skinny model, the brilliant tailoring and the proportions remind me of Oscar de la Renta’s immaculate suits which generations of high society American women and several first ladies have revered in. On Kate, it just makes me sad she’s chosen to forgo the natural lines and proportions of tailoring only to highlight the oh so “impressive” phenomenon – a skinny waist. On Kate the skirt looks the right size wherehas the jacket looks a size smaller, which is very evident by the length of her sleeves and how closed and suffocating the collared neckline looks on her, if not by the fabric clinging to her ribcage. Both the model and Kate have similar bodies yet the jacket on one looks expensive and in the other looks cheap. On the model it looks as expensive as something Anna Wintour would wear, the other tight one reminds me of Anna Dello Russo and the tightness of her clothes. Sorry if anyone else can’t see it, but I think she should stop asking her seamstresses to tighten her clothes so much and let the natural proportions shine.

• Laura January 16, 2019 at 5:30 pm #

I’m with you. I think the outfit looks dated and old fashioned but unnecessarily tight is just a bizarre critique.

• Tina K January 16, 2019 at 6:11 pm #

Didn’t mean to offend anyone. Sorry.

Just my opinion. Love the lines of the jacket on the model ✌

• quimby January 16, 2019 at 4:54 pm #

That’s one way to put it. A different perspective might be that she stays true to her own sense of style by choosing things she likes from a variety of designers, instead of being victim to fads and passing trends.

• Tina K January 16, 2019 at 5:44 pm #

I absolutely respect what you’re saying but I just didn’t mean that fashion wise but also economically. Why turn to luxury fashion houses when the style you’re aiming for can easily be replicated by brands whose clothes are relatively cheaper like Zara or Topshop or Mulberry or multitude of other small British designers who could use the exposure. Why spend so much on a McQueen that looks like a Zara. Wear a Zara. Afterall she isn’t earning money, its from a clothing allowance aka taxpayers money.

• meme January 16, 2019 at 7:10 pm #

I agree. She is the future Queen Consort and is not going to walk around looking like a walking trend. Her style is classic, which never goes out of style.

• Anne-Marie January 17, 2019 at 8:37 am #

@meme ITA, I’m really glad she’s staying true to her style and that she’s not become a fashion victim. It’s not her job to follow the trends.
          And as for why she’s buying designer clothes instead of high street? Well maybe it has something to to with the quality. She often repeats her outfits and fast fashion clothes usually can be thrown in the trash after one washing.

11. Anne-Marie January 16, 2019 at 1:50 pm #

Well, there is not much that one can do in styling department with such bold colour. This could’ve easily become too costumey so I’m glad the Duchess has kept this simple.
    She looks very classy, event- and weather appropriate.

• Iva January 16, 2019 at 1:57 pm #