Menu

‘A Simple Favor’ Paris Premiere

'A Simple Favor' Paris Premiere

The Paris premiere for ‘A Simple Favor’ took place on Tuesday (September 20) with Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick in attendance.

Blake Lively: Following her Ralph Lauren look, I joked on Instagram that Blake was wearing her 1,356 suit of this promo tour to which – much to my surprise – she responded “Would you note a man wearing lots of suits during a promo tour? So why can’t a woman? Just sayinnnn. No double standards ladies.” This came a quite a shock considering I have loved pretty much every look during this promo tour, and that I have said repeatedly that I have admired her commitment to rocking suits throughout. I’m not sure of the actual number, but yet another suit was worn in the city of lights. After the summery pink in London, the mood turned to Fall in this teal and black embroidered look. What do I love about this look? The sleekness, the sexiness, the cut and the fit. But the dual-colour loose tie didn’t work for me. Maria Tash jewels and strappy Louboutins completed her look.

Anna Kendrick: I have always been a great admirer of Antonio Berardi, but this Fall 2018 design didn’t quite work for me on Anna. Had she modified the look – removing the train – I have a strong belief this would’ve worked. As it is, the look feels so overwhelming.

Antonio Berardi Fall 2018

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Penelope Cruz In Alexandre Vauthier Haute Couture - 2018 Emmys After Party

Penelope Cruz In Alexandre Vauthier Haute Couture – 2018 Emmys After Party

Amandla Stenberg In By Malene Birger - 'The Hate U Give’ LA Screening

Amandla Stenberg In By Malene Birger – ‘The Hate U Give’ LA Screening

40 Responses to ‘A Simple Favor’ Paris Premiere

1. LaLa September 21, 2018 at 20:51 #

Just throwing in my bit of support to you Catherine. I remember the time period when your website was on hiatus and how hard I had to search to find intelligent critiques on celebrity fashion. I think Lainey Gossip’s article presents a very powerful argument about the power of women and fashion. When actresses shrug off the work of their stylists (or in Blake’s case, lack of one) they really undermine the power of fashion. Specifically for women, how you present yourself to the world can impact the jobs you get. That’s not just an acting observation, it’s a woman in the workforce observation.

2. Megs222 September 21, 2018 at 16:46 #

I felt like your comment wasn’t a diss or a joke. She purposely wore suits to promote the movie. You pointed out that she was wearing a suit. FACTS

Her response made absolutely no sense!

The only plus side – maybe more people will realize that FC has the best website!!!

3. Alina September 21, 2018 at 06:55 #

Blake: nice suit, awful fit and styling – her problem during this entire promo tour.

Anna: just no.

4. Elena September 21, 2018 at 03:38 #

you’re on Just Jared as well! I actually love her promo tour style, I would kill for some of those pantsuits and accessories!

• Catherine Kallon September 21, 2018 at 10:43 #

thank you. This was sent to me last night. It’s gone crazy

5. CreoleLady September 21, 2018 at 01:40 #

Touchy, isn’t she? If I saw a man wear his umpteenth number of dresses, I might joke about it too. Who does she think she is? She wears a couple of suits and now she’s a feminist icon? Blake, please. Good thing she married well.

6. Ksenia September 20, 2018 at 22:50 #

FC, did you see this? LaineyGossip is the investigative journalist of Celebrity.

laineygossipDOTcom/blake-lively-and-the-double-standard-of-being-asked-about-her-suits/50904

7. Ksenia September 20, 2018 at 22:49 #

FC did you see this? I love LaineyGossip, she is the investigative journalist of Celebrity.

• Catherine Kallon September 20, 2018 at 23:01 #

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing

8. MG September 20, 2018 at 22:35 #

Hmm I think if a dude wears only dresses on a promo tour he will definitely be noticed… speaking of double standards

9. Laura September 20, 2018 at 22:33 #

So no sense of humour to go with the the lack of sense of style! Also yes you would point out how many suits men wear and what kind – that is LITERALLY what you do here.

10. TinaL September 20, 2018 at 20:34 #

I feel bad for Catherine, because FC has been praising and supporting Blake’s style over the years. Clearly everyone knows 1356 is just a sense of humor.

Also feel bad for ‘SUITS’. We have nothing against Blake or wearing suits 24/7, 365 days a year. It all about the good look, something that will make us go ‘Wow she/he looks gorgeous’.
    I have always love the suit looks from Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton and Evan Rachel Wood, for their effortless styling and glamour.
    And to be honest, major of her suit during this promo tour doesn’t look good on her. Most of them are either too tight of too loose, the size and fit are bad. It was overstyled and contrived.

11. justme September 20, 2018 at 19:01 #

This is the girl you guys cape for? *evil smirk*
    The fit of those pants is bad and so is the styling.

12. Jess September 20, 2018 at 17:33 #

As much as I have always liked Blake and loved her style I was VERY put off by her comments to you. The fact she tried to make it a ‘woke’ issue was quite frankly a joke. Had she worn pleated skirts for a month straight we would have grown tired of that too. it was never a menswear issue and I thought your attempt at humor was indeed humorous, not to mention spot on. She continues to run the suit thing in the ground (for the record I would be just as bored with nothing but LBDs). Her choices have gotten lazy and tacky over the last few weeks. Blake usually prides herself in not taking things too seriously, maybe she should apply that to her fashion choices. You handled it as you do all things though Catherine, with complete and utter class. It’s just a shame Blake never showed you appreciation for all the praise you have given her for many years.

As for Anna, I agree that this look overwhelms her small frame. But her makeup and skin look lovely.

13. Ksenia September 20, 2018 at 16:45 #

Blake worked with Woody Allen and on her lifestyle site had a piece called the “Allure of Antebellum”. When Blake rightfully got backlash for glorifying that time, she called it “bullying” in Allure magazine. She also calls the paps all the time and then has the gall to claim she is all about privacy. Girl…

But Blake Lively does have good style.

14. JHH September 20, 2018 at 16:39 #

I totally agree with everything Vizual Ninja said below, especially, the “fake woke” part. It’s ironic that Blake clapped back at Catherine when CK is probably the only person who liked that double blazer velvet suit in August.
    Blake, if you are reading this blog take our comments to heart and dial back the costumeyness excessiveness of your suits instead of writing responses that make you look petty.

Anna’s dress needs to have the silly side pieces removed. If she had done that, she would have looked great.

15. Chris September 20, 2018 at 16:35 #

I wouldn’t go as far as calling Blake’s comment rude, I don’t think it was an attack on Catherine, she was just pointing out a general double standard in the way women’s fashion gets discussed in contrast to men’s fashion (and she’s not wrong). If that comment section was the right place for the comment is another question though, because Catherine’s comment was obviously meant as a joke, but… yeah.

As someone who has been critiquing her looks…I honestly don’t mind at all that she’s only wearing suits, she should just… wear good suits. Like, Evan Rachel Wood has been doing the ‘only suits’ thing for a while and I always love her looks, I just think that Blake’s suit and especially styling choices have been questionable. And I’m not loving this look either.

I actually like Anna’s look, it’s more interesting to me than all of the… boring to unflattering mini dresses she has been wearing lately.

16. Sara T September 20, 2018 at 16:10 #

So lame of her to get snarky with you over a bit of humor! You’re fab, I love your site and your writing, and I’ll take you over Blake any day <3

17. Lyka September 20, 2018 at 16:06 #

Meant to type **Blake** up above

18. Hailey September 20, 2018 at 15:52 #

Anna’s look is one of the WDOTY for me. It looks horrible on her. Way too long and ill fitting.

19. Vizual Ninja September 20, 2018 at 15:33 #

That sucks especially since you’ve been so positive about her looks for this tour, definitely more than us. Very mean girl(not surprising) of her and fake ‘woke’ if you ask me, because she’s literally only wearing suits for a role she plays in a freaking movie and is now trying to put a feminist spin on it. As some who brandishes herself as a fashion lover she should be able to take critique about her fashion choices and in this case the comment was harmless. Anywhoo hope it didn’t upset you too much, I’d be disappointed….this suit like most of the others sucks and wasn’t styled well, I like the shoes though. There’s way too much going on with that dress for Anna, it’s wearing her.

20. Caroline September 20, 2018 at 15:07 #

Catherine I must say I saw her comment and it shocked me as well as you were never negative about it. I am though. Her style has fallen from grace a while ago, even more so during this promo tour and I will vote her for in a consistently bad category at the end of the year.

21. Jas September 20, 2018 at 14:48 #

UGH I hate her response. We’re not critiquing her for wearing suits, we’re saying she’s wearing them badly.

22. meme September 20, 2018 at 14:34 #

Get over yourself, Blake. C’s comment has nothing to do with double standards. and yet another ugly outfit. I hate Anna’s dress.

23. Noah September 20, 2018 at 14:12 #

I think that Blake is just being funny as usual. However I have seen some comments do suggest that Blake should wear more dresses and show more boobs and legs. Maybe this part frustrates her a little bit.

24. Hermoine September 20, 2018 at 14:03 #

Oh please Blake get over yourself already
    I’ve seen our Catherine modeling some pretty fine looking clothes and she can out-dress you any day
    I got your back Catherine

• meme September 20, 2018 at 14:35 #

Me too, no pun intended.

25. NZ September 20, 2018 at 14:00 #

Obviously, Blake doesn’t know how to take a joke. And this is just another badly styled suit lol honestly though if those suits were any good, I wouldn’t be complaining and because I know she can do so much better. She’s delivered great looks over the years and I thought she was doing a pretty good job on her own but ever since this promo tour started we’ve been screaming at her to get a stylist. Suits are obviously her weakest point and I hope she realizes that.

26. J. September 20, 2018 at 12:55 #

Girl should have saved those – over sensitive and completely out of place- comments and spend some more time hemming her pants properly.

“just sayinnnnn”

• Eni September 20, 2018 at 13:46 #

So true!!!

• Jas September 20, 2018 at 14:44 #

Lol agreed

27. TeaAtTwo September 20, 2018 at 12:24 #

I’m glad it’s not another strict shirt and tie, though I’d prefer just a crew neck top to the scarf/neck tie addition and the pants needed to be hemmed. The print is nice though. I don’t like the design of the dress, the sides just look silly.

28. TeaAtTwo September 20, 2018 at 12:12 #

I think Blake missed the point, if most men (rupual, queer eye hosts, tommy dorfman etc excluded) or someone like Lena Waite suddenly started wearing a rotation of dresses it would be a stark change and comment worthy for a fashion blog so yes, light heartedly commenting was ok and no double standard or shaming was involved.

29. Rosie September 20, 2018 at 11:51 #

I honestly find her reply to you a bit rude. She clearly has never read any post here about her, because you’ve always praised her fashion choices.
    But it is no surprise to me after she was rude towards a reporter who ‘dared’ asking her what she was wearing during her Variety event last year. Girl became famous mostly because of fashion and for her connections in the fashion world (Louboutin, Wintour, Kors), so she can’t play the feminism car everytime someone asks about style of comments her outfits.

• Ellen M September 20, 2018 at 13:40 #

I never really understood the whole “don’t ask me who I’m wearing” movement. I understand that it would be nice to talk about something other than the clothes on your back, but the whole point of getting the dresses/clothing to wear in the first place is to advertise them to the public. It’s not just “you’re super famous and recognized all over the world so we reward you with free clothes”, it’s a business transaction with mutual benefits.

• meme September 20, 2018 at 14:38 #

I agree. Most of these women spend weeks with their stylists picking out dresses for awards season and then they don’t want to be asked who they’re wearing? I think the designers deserve to be named. Everyone wants to know anyway and it’s not like it’s the only question they are asked.

• NZ September 20, 2018 at 13:52 #

+100000

• meme September 20, 2018 at 14:36 #

• Lyka September 20, 2018 at 16:06 #

I agree. It’s just really unfair for her to comment like that when FC’s literally been praising her commitment from the jump. And it’s contradictory to the feminist angle she was espousing to blast another woman without ANY facts.

I appreciate this site because FC consistently supports fashion experimentation and has done nothing but applaud out-of-the-box and gender bendy styling for all people. Silliness, Black, silliness.

• Sara T September 20, 2018 at 16:12 #