Menu

14.07.18

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex made her first Wimbledon appearance as a member of the royal family on Saturday (July 14) alongside Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex: Once again she looked absolutely stunning in an incredibly chic blue striped shirt and cream high-waisted trousers by Ralph Lauren, but much talk has been made about her breaking Wimbledon’s Royal Box dress code. While there was nothing wrong with the Alturzarra bag and Illesteva Leonard sunglasses, her Maison Michel hat is actually banned from the Royal Box. Protocol asks that ladies do not take hats into the Royal Box to not “obscure the vision of those seated behind them”. You have to wonder who is advising Meghan, and if they are setting her up to fail.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge: The avid tennis fan always looks delightful at Wimbledon, and this was no exception. Catherine wore a Jenny Packham printed dress with what appears to be a tennis ball print featuring more details on the hip and shoulder. The look was styled with a Dolce & Gabbana top handle bag.

I know many comparisons will be made, but their styles couldn’t be more different.

Meghan is very much doing modern Meghan, while Catherine is also staying true to her ultra feminine summery style.

Credit: Getty

Vanessa Kirby In Tom Ford - ‘Mission: Impossible – Fallout’ London Premiere

Vanessa Kirby In Tom Ford – ‘Mission: Impossible – Fallout’ London Premiere

Jenna Coleman In Emilia Wickstead - Wimbledon Championships

Jenna Coleman In Emilia Wickstead – Wimbledon Championships

66 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Ralph Lauren & Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham – Wimbledon Championships

1. brat July 17, 2018 at 20:59 #

Correlating bile? You sound a bit unhinged. You do get quite besides yourself and hysterical over her, silly girl. Seems a bit unhealthy. Not to mention annoying af for the rest of us who have to be subjected to your daily ranting.

Perhaps you can start your own blog, make it private, so no one can comment with their unwarranted opinions. You can comment on all your own posts, compose sonnets and needn’t be disturbed by the rest of the world and their opinions on her. And spare us all your hysterics. Win/win for all, I’d say.

2. AnnaP July 16, 2018 at 22:50 #

One Duchess is wearing a chic, crisp, modern outfit, perfect for Wimbledon, the other Duchess is wearing a boring dress that my granny would wear. But one gets much more criticism than the other.

Swap the outfits around, and the new Duchess would suddenly be wearing the worst dress known to man.

The Duchess of Sussex always looks beautiful and stylish, with an incredible “WOW factor” but people are not really critiquing her attire. She has become a punching bag for social media.

As for the “breaking protocol” rubbish, as others have said, she didn’t wear the hat in the arena. Who cares if she is carrying it? She is being perfectly advised and is such a breath of fresh air to that musty old monarchy. People ought to leave her alone and stop bashing her. It’s ludicrous!

• brat July 17, 2018 at 00:03 #

Crisp is going too far as her pants are sweeping the floor when she walks and puddling when she stands still but consistency is your trademark and it’s nice to know we can always count on your predictable sycophantic fawning. Hey Anna P. Nice of you to join us.

• Sassqueen July 17, 2018 at 18:23 #

So the crisp style is messy hair you feel the need to touch every five seconds , too long trousers not fit for a tiny person (they don’t look good on Victoria Beckham either who is a fashionista) and a poorly fitted shirt …i don’t think royals will change their classic style for her messy sloppy style. This standing out style is not working so may be she can now try blending in .If her style ever look crisp EVER ..we will point that out.

3. Jas July 16, 2018 at 02:26 #

I think they both look fantastic. Summery and relaxed.
    Agreed with some other comments that Meghan probably needed to hem the pants. But I think she looks really chic and modern.
    I feel for Kate. Yes, she dresses boring but she is always true to her style and always looks impeccable.

4. Caroline July 16, 2018 at 01:15 #

Meghan looks fantastic. Better than Kate.

5. Caitlin July 16, 2018 at 00:20 #

Meghan looks uber chic, but Brat is right about the pants. Also, those accusing RC of “taking the bait” in commenting on her bringing a hat into the box, leave her alone! It’s legitimate fashion feedback. You’ll notice Kate didn’t bring a hat with her at all, because she’s always had impeccable minders who wouldn’t let her make little mistakes like this. I agree with another commenter that Meghan will find her feet soon enough, she is getting better and better at each appearance as it is. But she’s not immune to feedback as it relates to her dressing, just like anyone else.

• Ruki July 16, 2018 at 01:18 #

You are asked to not wear a hat so as to not block the view for people behind you. She didn’t. wear. it. I don’t know how else to explain that. It’s a part of the outfit, but it was not worn until she was outdoors. No view was obscured thus no rule was broken. You know who has worn a hat in the royal box. Princess Michael of Kent, the Middletons, Emma Watson, and plenty of others.

Of course she makes mistakes, as Kate did when she first arrived, it’s a new job that’s to be expected. The ridiculous headlines about her breaking protocol every time she steps out (oh no she crossed her legs let’s ignore that Anne is doing the same thing four seats over and write an article about it) are not. The bloggers and press can be questioned for pushing that narrative as much as Meghan can for choosing not to hem her trousers.

• CreoleLady July 16, 2018 at 10:34 #

I totally agree. Well said and thank you for saying it. If she didn’t wear the hat, why should she be criticized for bringing it? Especially if others have actually worn hats in the royal box without all of this whinging and gnashing of protocol teeth?

Ridiculous indeed.

• justme July 16, 2018 at 18:50 #

lmao @ “leave her alone”. I have visited and commented on this site for yeaaaars. I have never attacked Catherine so let’s not.

Kate has never been the standard for royal fashion or protocol. Her past posts on this site are proof of that so why on Earth would anyone use her as a reference to copy? And again, like many have said, that hat didn’t go near Meghan’s head when she was in the royal box so the “legitimate feedback” becomes questionable. It is what it is.

6. Miss H July 15, 2018 at 21:34 #

I think that both Catherine and Meghan are being true to their own style. Personally I favour Meghan’s outfit – I think she looks chic and cool. I don’t understand why she’s getting such a hard time at the moment.

7. Original meme July 15, 2018 at 14:57 #

Can we leave everything Trump off this site? This is the only site I visit where there is no Trump nonsense.

8. Jasmine July 15, 2018 at 08:53 #

Not British but boy, you guys are SO hard on Meghan! It’s unfortunate that Kate is the nearest standard to measure her against, but spare a minute and consider their very different trajectories to their current positions. Kate was born into money, met William in college, moved from her parents’ home to a palace and has had several years now to perfect her born-with poise and style to “duchess” levels. Meghan was born to working parents and had her fair share of struggles before making it on her own, commendably. Being in the entertainment biz and having had some share of paparazzi attention does NOT equip her to this whole other level of pressure of being royalty. Her basic aesthetic seems to be quite at variance to the dresses and coats the British royals are normally seen her — but I love her for sticking to her comfort with her collar-bones and zero-frou-frou style. She’ll find her feet yet!

9. Alina July 15, 2018 at 07:18 #

Each look is in tune with the wearer’s style. However, I would have changed some things about both of them.

Catherine needed a different hairstyle, maybe a nice ponytail, as I feel the hair gets in the way of the shoulder detail. Meghan’s trousers needed hemming. I don’t mind the hat, as she did not wear it during the match.

• JHH July 15, 2018 at 07:30 #

• Susie July 16, 2018 at 17:55 #

+2 well said

10. CreoleLady July 15, 2018 at 01:50 #

I like both looks. Each suits (lol, couldn’t help myself) the wearer.

11. Ruki July 15, 2018 at 01:09 #

Quibbles with both, but I like the basic idea of of their outfits and the stripes and polka dots complement each other in photos.

Not sure why the hat is mentioned. She never once wore it while in the box so there’s nothing to discuss. I don’t understand understand the constant need to paint everything she does as a breach of protocol. The majority of those protocols don’t actually exist.

Along the same lines, there’s no one way to dress as a duchess. Much of what people expect to see is based off the clothing of a 92 year old woman. Letizia is a Queen, but you’ll find criticism claiming she dresses like a banker. There are some rules, of course, but as long as it’s appropriately modest and conservative it’s up to the individual and people are influenced by their upbringing and life experiences. There shouldn’t be any shame in it. Some of the comments in these posts reflect poorly on the people making them.

• Gabriela July 15, 2018 at 02:18 #

100% agreed

• Lee Ann July 15, 2018 at 10:07 #

Completely agree

• SilentVisitor July 15, 2018 at 18:18 #

100% agree…. the level of venom you see on MM posts is just amazing; I hope she stays true to herself and never cave to the pressure of the online protocol police

I love MM’s look; it is very modern and in-tune with her style; The pants were too long and so were Emma’s pants by the way

• brat July 15, 2018 at 20:20 #

I saw Emma’s pants, they went for the same look but hers didn’t look sloppy like Meghan’s. She actually carried the trend successfully.

• Ruki July 15, 2018 at 22:26 #

I agree that they looked too long while still because they seemed to be pooling on the grass (who knows, maybe her heels sunk a bit in those photos), but Meghan wore the same length as Emma in Edinburgh and people still had issues with the length and called her unkempt. And before anyone tries to claim that Emma’s were a skosh shorter, no. There are few photos of her walking, but they would have dragged and folded a bit if we’d seen more. That’s the trend. Some of the European royals have worn it too.

• brat July 15, 2018 at 23:18 #

Whelp I loved everything about Meghan’s outfit until I got to her hemline. It looked sloppy, i don’t care which royal or designer is trying to make it a thing. I said what I said. Sloppy is sloppy, no matter how many runways are featuring them.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Emma’s didn’t look as long or as wide to me, I’ve seen multiple pics of both women full-length. In fact, she gets my best dressed at Wimbledon.

• Ruki July 16, 2018 at 00:26 #

Not sure why you’re reiterating a point that I didn’t argue or acting like I claimed runways are law.

• AnnaP July 17, 2018 at 08:47 #

I skim past brat posts without reading them. They are a downer I don’t need in my life.

• brat July 17, 2018 at 18:41 #

Everybody who doesn’t follow your lead in composing sonnets to Meghan’s perfection is a downer in your life, Anna P. Frankly, I don’t know how your nerves survive the commentary on this page. Valium in your tea should do the trick.

• justme July 15, 2018 at 23:02 #

Seriously.

Meghan didn’t wear the hat once while in the royal box.

People make up protocols to feed the narrative of Meghan the unfit foreigner and it’s odd that FC keeps taking the bait.

12. Amy July 15, 2018 at 00:54 #

Both looked cute in my opinion. Each one of them has her own style

13. Bumble July 14, 2018 at 23:11 #

Kate looks five to ten years older. She is six months older…
    Kate always comes across as try hard and dressing like her mother. Meghan feels like her own person at least

• Eva July 15, 2018 at 03:16 #

Kate is actually a few months younger.
      I disagree, I don’t think she comes off as try hard. I think her style feels quite authentic to who she is fashion wise, much like Meghan. Neither would look right in the other’s outfit.

14. TeaAtTwo July 14, 2018 at 20:06 #

I like Meghan’s outfit, it’s chic but should be UK labels or designers. Catherine looks elegant and summery and not frumpy.

• Lee Ann July 15, 2018 at 10:10 #

Ralph Lauren dresses all the umpires and linesman for Wimbledonso I don’t mind her wearing the label .

Kate is dowdy and dull . Thank goodness her shoes are hidden because they are probably wedges or LK Bennet court shoes

• Lee Ann July 15, 2018 at 13:47 #

Just saw : beige suede courts – groundbreaking

• TeaAtTwo July 15, 2018 at 14:40 #

The shoes were probably tres dull but this look is better than most of her outfits. Here she looks her age.

15. Sassqueen July 14, 2018 at 20:02 #

These ill fitting clothes are just getting out of control. IMO she is making kate look better . She still look like Meghan the actress not Meghan the royal or duchess..if you have seen the video of this event she keep touching her hair on both sides fixing the messy pieces around her face. I mean why choose a hairstyle that requires that much touching..looks sloppy and make her look nervous… for such a unique beauty i just always expect more from her ..but i am disappointed every time..

16. olga July 14, 2018 at 19:58 #

To me once again Meghan tries so hard to look effortless and trendy that she ends up looking just messy and uncomfortable. And you can see in the full-length photos that those pants are way too long. I like the idea but I find the execution sloppy.
    Kate is definitely not fashion forward and I wish she chose different shoes, but she looks impeccable and at ease.

• Original meme July 14, 2018 at 21:52 #

I agree. She looks a mess and I don’t think the shirt goes with the pants. Also, enough with the messy hair. In the videos all she does is move her hair off her face.

17. brat July 14, 2018 at 19:50 #

This is one of my fav Meghan looks ever, though the pants badly needed hemming at the bottom. You can’t see it in these pictures so it doesn’t count. I think it’s super chic, simple and classic. Didn’t see her in the hat in any of the pic, i didn’t know it was a controversy.

Kate always looks polished and looks amazing for something who gave birth 3 months ago but I prefer Meghan’s look.

Saudin is preaching right now and I’m here for all of it.

Melania in J. Mendel at the dinner with PM May was the best dressed of this week. Period. I will be voting for her in absentee on this week’s poll lol!

• olga July 15, 2018 at 09:33 #

I think full-lenght photos of both of them should have been included in this post. How can you judge an outfit without seeing the shoes or the fit of the pants?

• brat July 15, 2018 at 20:21 #

guess you’re right. the pants looked bad full-length and brought the whole look down.

18. Kimma July 14, 2018 at 19:29 #

This outing really highlighted the contrast between the two Duchesses and didn’t reflect well on Meghan. Kate is impeccable and I would say Meghan is sloppy. I hope she took note of how Emma Watson wore a suit.

• Miss Jeanett July 14, 2018 at 22:06 #

Really? I feel the complet opposite. I don’t think it reflects well on Kate. She dresses so “old” and Meghan is so chic and modern!

• Elena July 15, 2018 at 01:37 #

+10000
        Old vs Modern battle

19. Amanda July 14, 2018 at 19:00 #

Meghan looks terrible sorry, she’s drowning in fabric. The shirt is several sizes too big and the pants, even with heels, are too long and basically cleaning the floor. Don’t know what her issue is with wearing stuff her size or with a proper fit, with all the money she spends on clothes that’s a basic. Also the colours: she’s wearing a white and bright blue themed outfit but the stilettos are black and the handbag navy. The pants are cream but the stripes on the shirt white which looks bad on pictures.

20. Lea July 14, 2018 at 18:58 #

I love both of these outfits! They are approriate and true to their styles!
    I do agree that the hat was a fail

I saw a full length photo of Meghan’s outfit and the pants were way too long so I wish she had shortened them a little

21. Saudin July 14, 2018 at 18:50 #

Pitty Melania is not included on this website… Her looks this week were better than any of Kate’s boring looks…

• Andy July 14, 2018 at 18:58 #

• Luli July 14, 2018 at 19:49 #

But not only Melania.. all other royals!

• Nadine Hughey July 14, 2018 at 19:53 #

• brat July 14, 2018 at 20:02 #

Most of her looks this week were better than anything either Duchess has worn or will wear. Her style for event dressing is on a different level.

• J July 14, 2018 at 20:53 #

She looked impeccable this week.

• TeaAtTwo July 14, 2018 at 20:04 #

Get over it. She’s not a nice person and it’s Catherine’s blog.

• brat July 14, 2018 at 20:20 #

nah. we’re going to cry about it. xoxo

• moonbeam July 14, 2018 at 21:55 #

I agree TeaAtTwo. Melania is not needed here. In fact I completely forgot about her until I read Saudin’s comment lol

• AnderBoBo July 15, 2018 at 01:32 #

Agreed, she is racist just like her husband and unworthy of coverage.

• Lee Ann July 15, 2018 at 10:12 #

I’ve actually met her and she is lovely . Have you ?

• Caitlin July 16, 2018 at 00:23 #

@ Lee Ann and brat, don’t worry, people think they’re social justice warriors by making childish attacks on public figures behind the safety and anonymity of the internet. I just looked up Melania’s outfits from this week and she killed it! That yellow gown is beautiful.

• brat July 16, 2018 at 01:47 #

The faux moral posturing on this site by people who truly loathe her is amusing. I just saw pics of her arrival in Helsinki. She’s fly as hell, and Meghan and Kate should pray to the Fashion Gods to be as stylish one day.

• Original meme July 16, 2018 at 14:45 #

I think Melania has fabulous style but posting photos of her here would only encourage vile, disgusting comments about her, which she doesn’t deserve. That’s the reason I want Catherine not to post pics of her.

• Original meme July 16, 2018 at 14:46 #

You don’t know her.

• Kat July 15, 2018 at 08:44 #

I do not want to see any Trumps on RCFA. Her “I don’t care” jacket when visiting refugees says it all. She/they are not worthy of any extra attention. Kudos to Catherine and RCFA for not giving them her time

• Trinny July 16, 2018 at 05:18 #

Agreed. We don’t need her nor do we want her.

• brat July 16, 2018 at 18:59 #

Your we is subjective, I do, and as you can see I’m not the only one.

• AnnaP July 17, 2018 at 08:54 #

+ 1,000,000.

Interesting and unsurprising who are the Trump supporters on here and their correlating bile about the Duchess of Sussex.

• brat July 17, 2018 at 20:01 #

Your mind is utterly predictable and so is your commentary, Melania’s fashion sense is A+, you would say that appreciation for her style equals Trump support.

You’ve made it known to everyone that you are unable to emotionally separate your fangirlish “love” for Meghan from an objective critique of her wardrobe. Naturally you couldn’t imagine anyone else being able to do the same, as you yourself cannot.