Menu

June 7, 2018

Rihanna In Matthew Adams Dolan – Stance For Clara Lionel

While I wasn’t blown away by Rihanna’s look at the ‘Ocean’s 8’ world premiere, I was starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, but her appearance at Stance for the Clara Lionel Foundation on Wednesday (June 6) in New York City had me questioning everything.

Matthew Adams Dolan is a very talented emerging designer. And if you check out his last two collections, you will see that oversized silhouettes sit firmly in his wheelhouse.

What I still don’t understand is Rihanna’s reliance on this oversized look for the past 12 months which started at Cannes.

I don’t hate the look as I love the colour, the attitude and the styling – which included a Stalvey bag, Chopard jewels and Manolo Blanhik heels – but I kinda wish she would play another note on that banjo.

Credit: Getty

2018 CMT Music Awards

2018 CMT Music Awards

Royal Academy Of Arts Summer Exhibition Preview

Royal Academy Of Arts Summer Exhibition Preview

18 Responses to Rihanna In Matthew Adams Dolan – Stance For Clara Lionel

1. Carolina June 8, 2018 at 7:25 pm #

She’s been wearing oversized clothes ever since she gained a little weight. She probably feels insecure about her body which is insane since she looks sensational.

2. Lala June 8, 2018 at 2:18 pm #

I never thought Rihanna would fall into the “if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it” trap, but…Boring for her is still way better than most.

3. BB June 8, 2018 at 8:50 am #

I think this works really well FOR Rihanna.
    This is a great look, styled really well and honestly, she is having fun with fashion and volume and I’ll take this over the endless sheer garments. The garment is made to be oversized. That’s the designer’s s Mo.
    I feel like everyone is so tough on her. Not every look will be groundbreaking. It is testament to her style prowess that she gets people feeling so emotional about what she’s wearing. Never change, Rih.

4. Phee June 8, 2018 at 5:42 am #

Such a mess. What a shame. Even the hair is sad and limp.

5. Caitlin June 8, 2018 at 12:32 am #

Nawwww I actually love this

6. Caroline June 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm #

A mess. Her style has never been the same.

• brat June 7, 2018 at 11:30 pm #

I weep for the old days.

7. Vizual Ninja June 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm #

neck up beautiful as always but no to everything else, this has potential but ends up looking like a sloppy mess due to styling and fit

8. Angela June 7, 2018 at 7:01 pm #

Her jewels were from David Webb, Jacob & Co. and the Gem Palace

9. Original meme June 7, 2018 at 6:59 pm #

What a mess.

10. JHH June 7, 2018 at 5:59 pm #

Oh Rihanna, why? From the heights in the Oceans 8 premier look to this. I have fashion whiplash.

11. brat June 7, 2018 at 5:58 pm #

Thank you Catherine, for finally saying it!
    SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!
    Everyone kisses her bum and acts like whatever she wears is amazing. The truth is she has struggled to dress her new size since her weight gain and her fashion choices are often atrocious!
    She was once a fashion icon in my eyes and could do no wrong, for the last year or two I’ve hated most everything she wears (including everything she wore at Cannes and this year’s Met Gala, starting with the awful styling).
    That being said, there’s a stunning red Zac Posen gown she wore to one of the Ocean’s 8 premieres that you haven’t featured yet. It was her best look in a very long time. I’m still hoping it will get it’s own post.

• Chris June 7, 2018 at 7:07 pm #

The red Zac Posen gown is a look she/her character wears in the movie… not a Rihanna red carpet look.

• brat June 7, 2018 at 11:23 pm #

Ahhh I see, no wonder I hadn’t seen it yet.

• Original meme June 7, 2018 at 8:42 pm #

and there’s the gorgeous red Azzedine Alaïa gown she wore to the Grammys.

• brat June 7, 2018 at 11:25 pm #

the hot pink with the flower in her hair? It was alright, I suppose, not bad but nothing standout.

• James June 7, 2018 at 8:44 pm #

I agree. But it seems more like she is tired of the whole industry, she looks like she doesn’t care anymore in my opinion. Her make up is flawless as usual but that is it.

• brat June 7, 2018 at 11:29 pm #

I’ve given up hope that the old Rihanna will ever resurface. She is happy in her new size so I’m happy for her. But I can’t help but tie her new size to her new style since that’s when it all changed. I’d like to see the old Rih return. Half her red carpet outings now make my worst dressed list. She’s still taking risks, but in the past they almost always paid off. No longer, imho.