Menu

23.01.18

Front Row @ Chanel Spring 2018 Couture

Designer Karl Lagerfeld transformed Paris’s Grand Palais into a classic French garden to plant his flowery, sugary-chic confections for the Chanel Spring 2018 Couture show during Paris Fashion Week on Tuesday (January 23), where his Chanel-clad front row duly impressed.

Yara Shahidi: The starlet always impresses me with her command of fashion, and even in this setting, her particular brand of youthfully sophisticated, directional style shone brightly. I like how she brought an experimental twist to this girly-demure frock with the clear booties.

Ella Purnell: There was a prim charm to Ella’s matching sweater separates, modestly finished with a pair of black pumps.

Rita Ora: Classic tweed took a colourful, sporty direction with the songstress’s hoodie dress accessorised in true Rita rebel form with a quilted fanny pack and athletic sneakers. Yet, it all made sense, with the pink-coral hue tied throughout—from her lipstick right down to the accent colour on those shoes.

Rinko Kikuchi: I love the power with which Rinko wore this modern, textural interpretation of plaid. You’d think that the graphic patterning would be overwhelming, but she owned it and the cropped proportions and precise fit worked in her favour. I like the addition of the oval handbag and pumps with embellished heels to bring a flourish of femininity to the boxier shapes here.

Marion Cotillard: The French actress went completely casual in this nubby, navy sweater dress styled with tights, booties and a ponytail. Ultimately, I found it all a bit too nonchalant, as I was wishing for something in the styling department to elevate the effect.

Ellie Bamber: Wearing the same plaid-esque fabric as Rinko, Ellie’s frock took a completely different tone with the clear cape to match her boots. I think I would have liked the look more if she had skipped the reddish eye makeup and worn a sleeker bun.

Isabelle Huppert: Relevant and elegant, Isabelle edged up her long blue maxi dress with a quilted, patent bomber.

Sasha Luss: This look may have started out on a classic note with the tweed jacket, but the slouched, cuffed trousers and boots turned up the tomboy appeal.

Astrid Berges: This white tweed piece was a bit severe, so I’m glad it featured colourful thread running throughout it to lighten the mood.

Credit: Getty

Sundance Film Festival 'Camel Coats' Trend

Sundance Film Festival ‘Camel Coats’ Trend

Elle Fanning Loves...Christian Louboutin 'Une Bott' Boots

Elle Fanning Loves…Christian Louboutin ‘Une Bott’ Boots

12 Responses to Front Row @ Chanel Spring 2018 Couture

1. EmmaWoodhouse January 24, 2018 at 2:35 pm #

Isabelle and Yara, even with the shoes.

2. Steph January 24, 2018 at 12:04 pm #

Marion literally just woke up like this?

3. Alina January 24, 2018 at 7:05 am #

YARA. I’m completely in awe with this girl.

4. Caitlin January 23, 2018 at 10:29 pm #

I love Ella Purnell’s look. So simple and gorgeous, with French new wave film vibe.

I know I always say this about Rita Ora but she really needs to stop recycling Rihanna’s old looks:

5. Kimma January 23, 2018 at 9:08 pm #

Rinko’s is the only look I can get excited about here. Most feel like Chanel is trying to have a foot in both camps- traditional tweed tailoring and modern street style – and failing at both. It only works when they stay more within their lane as with Rinko’s.

6. Pheephee January 23, 2018 at 8:34 pm #

Im quite bored by these. I think the clear rain boots look dumb, in these cases.

7. Marie January 23, 2018 at 7:41 pm #

Love Yara’s look, which is the only I really remember after scrolling through. Not a bad line-up per-say, but so boring and forgettable. Guess it comes with the territory of semi-casual Chanel.

8. james January 23, 2018 at 6:45 pm #

I am sorry but Marion CANNOT DRESS TO SAVE HER LIFE! Thank god she is a talented actress 😀

9. JHH January 23, 2018 at 6:19 pm #

I never thought I would use the words modern and youthful to describe a look that includes a Chanel dress and a boy bag but those are the words for Yara’s look. The boots make the outfit by adding a little dash of something different and unexpected. Chanel is hard to wear and very few people can pull off all Chanel looks but surprisingly most of these are good looks with the exceptions of Rita (no surprise), Ellie (who looks like she put on a clear plastic bag to protect her dress from rain) and Ella (meh).

10. Caroline January 23, 2018 at 6:13 pm #

Yara looks amazing.

• Catherine Kallon January 24, 2018 at 6:38 am #

Yeah. Not many could make those boots work with a tweed dress

11. meme January 23, 2018 at 5:48 pm #

I’ll have what Isabelle and Rinko are wearing. Rita looks silly. Clear vinyl (or colored) boots and overlays must DIE.