Menu

03.06.14

Rihanna In Adam Selman – 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Rihanna In Adam Selman - 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Rihanna of course had to make the biggest splash while attending the 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards held at Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center on Monday (June 2) in New York City as she was honoured with the Fashion Icon Award, much to the bewilderment of most.

The singer, who’s never been shy of showing off her areolas, wore a custom Adam Selman fishnet dress styled with a matching headscarf and gloves, which are all accented with over 200,000 Swarovski crystals.

Her dazzling look was also styled with a pink fur shrug, plus additional jewels courtesy of Jacob and Co.

I have to say I kinda loved it until I got to the back. Areolas are one thing, but bare butt cheeks? Really Ri Ri? What’s next – total nakedness?

Credit: Getty

Solange Knowles In Calvin Klein Collection - 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Solange Knowles In Calvin Klein Collection – 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Blake Lively In Michael Kors  - 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Blake Lively In Michael Kors – 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

103 Responses to Rihanna In Adam Selman – 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

1. Larissa June 3, 2014 at 18:31 #

I really wanna hate it but I can’t help loving it…..except for the back. The naked butt is a bit too much for me and prevents this from being a completely amazing look.

2. Tristan June 3, 2014 at 18:13 #

Everybody seems to be missing the point. Choosing this dress is not about fashion or elegance. Its all about column inches & publicity, and she got miles of both

• Marcel June 3, 2014 at 19:07 #

Everybody but YOU….
      Thanks “Mr Knowing Everything” for enlightening us, mere mortals.
      How pretentious and preposterous !

3. Jude June 3, 2014 at 17:43 #

So sorry she feels she needs to bare all for attention. That gown with a lining would have been beautiful enough as a show stopper.

4. jas June 3, 2014 at 17:43 #

people don’t really chuck up a big fuss about models walking down the runway exposing themselves, so is it really that big a deal if rihanna does it at a FASHION event? personally, i don’t think it’s really that necessary to be exposing oneself like that, but i get what she was going for. and i will admit that she does look pretty incredible. maybe if i looked like her i would do the same haha

5. Jeremy June 3, 2014 at 17:09 #

First of all – “Bedazzled Condom” is THE best description I’ve read. Absolutely hilarious and dead-on.

With that being said, though, I have to say that I’m with the group of people who absolutely LOVES this look. Obviously it’s going to be controversial and divisive, but that’s fashion! This is more like an elaborate jewellery art piece than it is a dress, but I think she literally looks like some deity come to life. I can’t even imagine the impact of seeing her standing there, with all those crystals, in the flashes of the paparazzi cameras. Like a shimmering goddess.

6. Marybeth June 3, 2014 at 16:59 #

I despise the pink fur shrug. When I first saw this outfit, I thought she was strangling a stuffed bunny rabbit.

If she wanted a shawl to cover her lady bits — and I honestly can’t see why she would even bother — something light and shimmery to match her head scarf would have been more artistic and far less costumey.

Next year — Miley Cyrus in nothing but diapers!
    I can’t wait! (Yawn.)

7. The Dame June 3, 2014 at 16:53 #

I LOVE this look! She looks like a Goddess and so what if her nipples are showing!? FEMALE POWER! LOVE THIS.

• Luvergrrl June 3, 2014 at 20:44 #

Love your comment!

• JJ June 6, 2014 at 00:48 #

Is this really female power? You don’t see guys showing their package on the RC. lol

8. Fiona - Perth June 3, 2014 at 16:47 #

At first glance I thought – “amazing” then I looked again and was mortified. The fact that she used the fur stole tells you that even she knew that she needed it for some fraction of modesty – in which case what was the point? If you are making a political statement then I might understand, but I am tired of performers trying to one-up each other for the nearly-naked award – we all have a body it is what we clothe it in that we are interested in here…

9. brat June 3, 2014 at 16:22 #

She looks like a goddess. Absolutely beautiful, but i haven’t decided if just because she can means that she should. She wanted to be memorable and she is. But I’m with Katherine, the butt cheeks are a bit much.

10. Narwhal June 3, 2014 at 15:53 #

I absolutely adore it. I don’t care what you guys think, it’s spectacular.

11. Pedro June 3, 2014 at 15:38 #

At first i loved, than i hated and now i love it again! lol

Riri is fierce

12. Cookie June 3, 2014 at 15:29 #

Well, Kim Kardashian has covered Vogue, and now Rihanna has won a style icon award. Fashion, staaaaahp. Keen to know what your gut reaction was to this FC.

13. justme June 3, 2014 at 15:18 #

I’d rather see butt cheeks than areolas on the red carpet but that”s just me lol. Rihanna craves attention in ways that I’ll never understand. Some eat it up, others (like myself) don’t. But it’s how she is so… *kanyeshrug*

14. Kim June 3, 2014 at 15:16 #

GODDESS! This is some vintage Cher realness right here, love it soooo much. Great look for her (never want to see it again on anyone else though)

15. kc June 3, 2014 at 15:10 #

This is the cheap knockoff version of Karolina Kurkova’s MET ball look from 2/3 years ago.

16. Maria June 3, 2014 at 15:07 #

I think this is an incredible look, but put a liner in that dress, girl. Her body is phenomenal and a liner would not have taken away anything from this!

17. Kathy June 3, 2014 at 15:00 #

To call this dress revealing would be an understatement, but it’s appropriately daring for the occasion and from the shoulders up she does look FLAWLESS. I’ll give RiRi a pass on this occasion because she’s had her fair share of demure looks (relatively speaking) in the past. She’s no nun, but she does know when and where to cover up.

18. Prudence June 3, 2014 at 14:56 #

I think her camp were not able to put together an outfit exciting enough for her to receive this award so naturally plan #2 was to shock us to the point of no return so she wore a bedazzled condom.
    Tacky and classless don’t even suit her anymore, she has gone to another level and it’s really quite sad.

• gabis June 3, 2014 at 15:28 #

Lol, bedazzled condom is definitely the best description for it. I see all the hate comes from her being pratically naked underneath it. I doubt not a lot of people would’ve been adding this to their BDOTY lists had the dress any type of lining covering her boobs and/or butt because the dress is not all that bad. Personally I hate more the fur shrug than her almost nakedness. But even so I have to admit her hair and makeup look great.

• great June 3, 2014 at 15:45 #

the fur! you noticed. probably one of the many points she was trying to make.

• gabis June 3, 2014 at 20:47 #

Could’ve been but I hardly think so. For my annoyance Rihanna wears fur on a regular basis.

19. RORY June 3, 2014 at 14:48 #

I’m sorry.. but I think she is just the most fabulous thing and you will deal. She is… she just is.

• Luvergrrl June 3, 2014 at 20:43 #

+1! Your comment is hilarious! 🙂

20. pinksugar June 3, 2014 at 14:44 #

I really hate when people use the “human body” card because obviously this woman has a nice figure (which she is more than aware of) but when being honored for style could she really not manage to cover her already overexposed breasts and backside? I mean REALLY? When nakedness is your forever go to you are lacking serious imagination. The color looks nice on her skin and her makeup is lovely. That’s as kind as I can be here.

• Schuy June 3, 2014 at 20:25 #

+1 totally lacking in imagination. A new low.

• gemma June 3, 2014 at 22:51 #

+1 ITA

• amy June 4, 2014 at 17:20 #

THANK YOU. this look isn’t bold or anything cause we’ve already seen Riri’s naked body everywhere. This is just her stylist having a serious lack of inspiration and telling himself: let’s get her naked, it’s so edgy. LOL, it’s not, it’s boring. I do love the hairpiece and her makeup is flawless.

21. SilentVisitor June 3, 2014 at 14:40 #

I guess she has achieved what she wanted to achieve when she decided to wear this dress……attention seeking and tacky beyond belief

22. bijuk June 3, 2014 at 14:32 #

why bother to wear clothes?

• Sleepless in Chicago June 4, 2014 at 11:09 #

Let’s go back to the jungle… There are nudist communities if someone is interested. Living in a society imply boundaries of respect to the people around. In this case, there is none of it, just complete self-glorification.

23. Camina June 3, 2014 at 13:27 #

I just think she looks like a goddess. Of famous women alive today, there are only two I can think of who can get away with this look, Rihanna and Beyonce. Jennifer Lopez in her heyday could have probably. Her figure is something else.

No one else could carry this look, even have the gall to wear it and that’s why it works. She’s sublime.

24. Jones19 June 3, 2014 at 13:21 #

I love it #freethenipple

25. dee June 3, 2014 at 13:14 #

Why isn’t this considered indecent exposure? This is not sexy or fashion forward. This is tacky beyond belief.

• Tracy L June 3, 2014 at 20:57 #

I was wondering that too.
      I mean she is absolutely gorgeous, but how is it allowed in public? She is fearless, though, to go out like that. Or desperate for attention??? I don’t get it.

• emma June 4, 2014 at 09:08 #

in new york it’s legal for women to go topless in public. not sure about the bare bottom though.

26. Louise June 3, 2014 at 13:11 #

RiRi can wear anything I reckon. She’s got IT. And what a great (non)dress to accept a style award in. I wouldn’t wear it in a million years but I think that is kind of the point.
    Her face is perfection.

27. anjos June 3, 2014 at 13:04 #

This is actually VERY 80s. The fact that people these days have a problem with this kind of stuff just shows that the world went back down the conservative road in the last few years.

• great June 3, 2014 at 15:36 #

it’s like she is honouring Whitney Houston and Madonna without copying them or losing herself.

28. CD June 3, 2014 at 12:40 #

I like it because she hasn’t felt badgered into something conservative, real hot… this is like my bdoty

29. Chanel June 3, 2014 at 12:39 #

Yikes. There are hardly any clothes to comment on!

• Sleepless in Chicago June 4, 2014 at 11:07 #

There is a difference berween good taste and no taste. There is a difference between a power of suggestion and displaying it all in the open. Ouch!

30. Nat June 3, 2014 at 12:37 #

She is a risk taker and yet again it pays off.. That’s what fashion is about, she could’ve worn a predictable Givenchy couture look but instead she went with a custom dress by a hardly known designer. She deserved that award congrats to her!!

31. Kat June 3, 2014 at 12:28 #

I like the vintage vibe of the whole ensemble, it would have been a great look on her. Sadly it’s pretty much ruined by the decision to take inspiration from ‘The Peasant’s Wise Daughter’.

32. annette June 3, 2014 at 12:22 #

I’m pretty sure she had to strategically hold her fur shrug in front of her crotch all night long otherwise we’d get a look at ALL of Rihanna as opposed to 95% of her.

33. Dani June 3, 2014 at 12:21 #

At least you can see in one of the shots here that she is wearing a thong. I can’t imagine how annoying it would have been to hold that stole perfectly all night! And yeah – it’s too much – but I do reluctantly ahve to admit she looks pretty good *considering*.

34. Rebecca June 3, 2014 at 12:17 #

Some people can pull off near nakedness.. But this this just tasteless and tacky and the front runner for the worst dressed of the year.. To add insult to injury… She wore thus to recieve a fashion icon award! Seriously?

• Sleepless in Chicago June 4, 2014 at 10:59 #

Shame to the ones giving an award for this. The thing I hate the most from this look is her face – so full of herself.

35. DGP June 3, 2014 at 12:16 #

She won the night. Unforgettable. Newsworthy. Great for the designer, too! To design that beautiful gown and then have the perfect model wear it at the perfect event. A dream! I admire Rihanna’s fearlessness. Cover up, for what.

• glyc87 June 3, 2014 at 14:40 #

+1,if Kim Kardashian showed up in this, it would be trashy on a whole different level, on Rihanna, it makes sense. Badass is the word!

• glyc87 June 3, 2014 at 14:44 #

Oh, this is BDOTY for me.

• oksana June 3, 2014 at 20:16 #

+1 For me too

36. Valissa June 3, 2014 at 12:03 #

I’m sorry, I’m not a prude but this is ridiculous! It’s not fashionable or stylish or fashion-forward…it’s a desperate attempt for attention.
    The fact that she accepted an award for being a “fashion icon” while wearing this is a travesty!!

• JJ June 5, 2014 at 17:56 #

Agree. Desperate attention seeker just like Miley.

37. Ben June 3, 2014 at 11:54 #

I think she actually looks amazing! There’s something so bad-ass about accepting a Fashion Icon award wearing close to nothing.

• Marcel June 3, 2014 at 17:09 #

+ 1. and I am not even a fan of hers.

• oksana June 3, 2014 at 20:15 #

Totally agree with phrasing “being a badass when she is almost naked”

• Luvergrrl June 3, 2014 at 20:41 #

+1! Your comment nails it!

• Saree June 4, 2014 at 00:15 #

I like the front, but have to agree with FC about the rear. But I do also agree with you, Ri is someone who pushes the boundaries and really just takes control of herself.

A lot of the time it’s kinda, roll your eyes, but sometimes it just works. If she had covered her rear, this would be a great look IMO. Nothing screams confidence in a woman when they can wear something exposing their breasts and still look elegant. I’m all for changing the attitudes towards women’s breasts: if men can, women can too. They don’t have to be sexual organs!
      Sadly, not even guys show off their ass, cause even that is distasteful.

38. Rye June 3, 2014 at 11:50 #

Go to the strip club, Riri, this look belongs there.

39. Carol June 3, 2014 at 11:42 #

Emperors new clothes

40. Lucy June 3, 2014 at 11:30 #

Channeling Josephine Baker, I love it.

• Eimear O'Connor June 3, 2014 at 22:33 #

Exactly! Its RIHdiculously beautiful…! That body…. jesus. And the craftsmanship of like 200,000 diamonds is incredible!

• kane June 4, 2014 at 10:20 #

Yeah, I can see what she did there. And yet, I think I would like this more if it wasn’t Rihanna. It’s not that I don’t like Rihanna, it’s just hard to separate from her usual cheap and tacky style and place it firmly as a reference to Josephine Baker.

• Sleepless in Chicago June 4, 2014 at 11:04 #

I hate that this look is associated with Josephine Baker who was a legend, a fighter, and had an icredible presence and talent. She went with risque but always in the right context and never in bad taste.

41. helene June 3, 2014 at 11:19 #

Worst dress of the year (even maybe even of the decade)!!! This should be forbidden….

42. Martin June 3, 2014 at 11:09 #

Flapper? Showgirl? Stripper?

Oh, and “Icon”?

There are almost no words for this level of bad taste.

43. Giras June 3, 2014 at 11:00 #

I think she looks fantastic! I love this look so much.

But again, I understand why people will loathe this look. She’s always a divisive fashion icon. Where Lady Gaga is probably the Tim Burton of fashion world, she’s more like the Lars von Trier of the fashion world. 🙂

• Luvergrrl June 3, 2014 at 20:25 #

Haha, good point! Sexy sexy explicit sex! More Michael Bay than Lars, maybe: big, brash, noisy, high budget, over the top!

44. Gemma June 3, 2014 at 10:56 #

HATE the dress/situation. Incredible face.

45. Christine June 3, 2014 at 10:52 #

She is pretty much naked.

She is a gorgeous women but this is crazy

46. Marcel June 3, 2014 at 10:41 #

Despite the fact that I can’t stand this woman, think she isn’t a singer but just a sick attention seeker , the fact that I am more than tired of the sheerness trend and knowing that one day I will regret my words I must admit : I think she looks fantastic. Stunning.
    The only person who could wear it at the most appropriate occasion.
    I am absolutely mesmerized. She looks a goddess. There. I said. Still can’t believe I uttered these words.

47. Charlotte June 3, 2014 at 10:39 #

It’s ridiculous !
    She could have gone naked, it would have looked better !

48. Yeliz June 3, 2014 at 10:38 #

Oh my god, this is a total disaster in my eyes. I hate this look.

49. Alina June 3, 2014 at 10:38 #

Who let her in?

• CreoleLady June 3, 2014 at 14:38 #

Lol, esp Appu’s and Alina’s comments. She’s giving good face but the rest can be taken back to the red light district where it belongs.

• KC June 4, 2014 at 00:37 #

• Noemi June 4, 2014 at 15:13 #

I agree. I wonder who’s gonna be the next icon, at this point I bet on Kardashian or Cyrus.

• JJ June 5, 2014 at 17:55 #

And that’s why David Grohl calls these singers ‘stripper pop.’ Next, she’ll probably just show up naked.

50. Appu June 3, 2014 at 10:38 #

They might have reconsidered giving her the award after seeing this lol

• Magdalena June 3, 2014 at 19:30 #

How about no, i’d say quite the opposite. This just cemented her icon status.