23.09.13

Lena Dunham In Prada – 2013 Emmy Awards

Lena Dunham In Prada - 2013 Emmy Awards

Everything was coming up flowers for Lena Dunham who also took a walk down the red carpet at the 2013 Primetime Emmy Awards, hosted on Sunday at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles, California.

The ‘Girls’ star already made light of her plunging Prada creation, earlier tweeting that her sister told her it looked like the ‘Delia’s catalogue made a red carpet dress.’

That said, her teal silk-gazaar ball-gown, scattered with a coral-rose print and accented with black trim that tied in the back, may prove to be one of the most debated of the evening.

She accessorized with turquoise satin platform sandals and a red satin clutch, also by Prada, with teal-hued eye shadow picking up the colour of the dress—perhaps unnecessarily so.

What do you make of Lena’s look?

Credit: Getty

2014 Emmy Awards Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

2014 Emmy Awards Menswear Red Carpet Roundup

Vera Farmiga In Theyskens' Theory - 2013 Emmy Awards

Vera Farmiga In Theyskens’ Theory – 2013 Emmy Awards

56 Responses to Lena Dunham In Prada – 2013 Emmy Awards

1. Christine September 23, 2013 at 02:50 #

Can’t get past her tattoo. The gown looks like a tent and thereore making her look bigger than she actually is.

But points for trying.

• Yeliz September 23, 2013 at 10:48 #

It definitely looks like she is wearing a tent. And it makes her look ten times bigger, so unflattering.

• P A September 23, 2013 at 22:55 #

I agree about the tattoo. Wear some sleeves so it doesn’t show. This is a elegant event and she looks like she’s going to a BBQ. She is very much in need of a beauty advisor.

2. EmmaWoodhouse September 23, 2013 at 02:51 #

Almost first to comment? While I start off the debate…I LOATHE it with every fiber of my being. I literally grimaced with horror when I saw it in the thumbnail–and it’s 10x worse up close. EVERYTHING is bad here…the colors…the fit…it’s so unflattering, her hair and makeup are among the most disastrous I’ve ever seen…just really bast. Her chocolate brown Zac Posen that she wore to the (Golden Globes? I can’t remember) was so much better. Granted, I’m not a fan of hers at all, but I want her to look well on the red carpet. She consistently disappoints. Last year she just looked a bit frumpy–this year she shoots to the top of “Looks I didn’t love” 2013.
    Ok. Rant done. ;)

• Erika September 23, 2013 at 19:26 #

+1 . Also.. that hair and make up will give me nightmares for weeks for sure.

3. Prudence September 23, 2013 at 02:52 #

OH MY GOD.
    I CAN’T.

• Regina September 23, 2013 at 12:34 #

I know this sounds mean, but when I saw this picture I just cackled and said OH MY GOD out loud. Doesn’t this girl have friends?/ Friends with eyes??

4. Sophy September 23, 2013 at 02:57 #

• Sophy September 23, 2013 at 03:00 #

Need a fashionista for this dress
      Lena needs to wear simple basic dresses well first- walk before u can run!!!

• SleeplessinChicago September 23, 2013 at 14:10 #

Agreed. I have to give her credit for the right attitude but the cut is SO WRONG for her. She is in a dire need for some professional fashion advice to be aware what styles look godd on here. There is no need to make oneself look ridiculous and become an easy prey for people who do not appreciate women with opulent forms.

5. mandy September 23, 2013 at 02:59 #

Wow i’ve never hated a Prada frock as much as i do this. She’s now in my list of worst dressed together with Ms Klum in Versace.

6. Natalie September 23, 2013 at 03:02 #

What the…I’m sorry, I just can’t even. What is this? Very confused and not quite sure how to put my thoughts into words.

7. isabelle September 23, 2013 at 03:10 #

okay seriously, what is wrong with you guys? it’s a perfectly fine dress, yes it’s a bold print and yes it’s got a lot of volume, yet it would probably look great on a lot of women. but because it’s on lena dunham everyone’s flabbergasted??… i don’t get it. she looks happy and confident, you go girl wear your tattoos proud

• Sarah September 23, 2013 at 17:01 #

Thank you! Totally agree!

• Tori October 2, 2013 at 14:48 #

Yes. If Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman or even tiny Emma Stone (all whom I love) had worn this it would have been adored. In a lot of ways this is reminiscent of Lucy Liu’s Carolina Herrera at the Golden Globes: big bold skirt in a big bold floral print. And from what I recall that was one of the BDOTW contenders. Lena doesn’t deserve the vitriol with which some people critique her looks, I don’t think.

8. Rashmi September 23, 2013 at 03:12 #

I might be in the minority, but I really think she did so much better! It’s flattering, and the color Is great against her skin. She even got the make up good. I like it.

• easyBlake September 23, 2013 at 03:26 #

You’re not completely alone. I really like the color and the more I look at the picture, the more I agree the full skirt is more flattering than not. Although, maybe if she wore a dress similar to Mindy Kaling, that might be interesting . . .

Sorry my thoughts ran – overall, I think this is FAR from her worst.

• hally September 23, 2013 at 08:05 #

oooo, if she and mindy switched dresses that would be an upgrade for both! while i have to say i think this is the best lena’s ever done, mindy’s dress would be more flattering and the color would look nice against her skin. If mindy wore this prada the color would look awesome, plus shes a fun girl, and this is a fun dress, unlike the matronly one she chose to wear

• Evil Britta September 23, 2013 at 08:15 #

My thoughts too. I may not love it, but I think it’s one of her best looks.

• Fanny September 23, 2013 at 08:36 #

+ 1

• yesferdinand September 25, 2013 at 13:08 #

+1! I think she didn’t look THAT BAD. We’ve seen worse than this. I think it’s very flattering for her figure. I just don’t get why everybody is being skeptical about this look, just because lena dunham’s wearing it.

9. Godiva September 23, 2013 at 03:12 #

The hair ruins it. I mean it didn’t look all that great but is she wore her short hair in slicked up, kind of like Vera Farmiga, tonight it would have been better. The hairstyle looks really unfortunate.

10. Laura September 23, 2013 at 03:17 #

Forget he dress because …the makeup and the HAIR! Why dear lord why? I’m not even going to suggest a stylist – how bout we start with mirror?

• Natalie19 September 24, 2013 at 20:55 #

totally agree!

11. molly September 23, 2013 at 03:18 #

This is my leading contender for the Worst Dressed of The Year category.

• KatieKate September 23, 2013 at 03:44 #

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. This ticks just about every single box of a WDOTY contender.

12. Moxie September 23, 2013 at 03:32 #

One of the worst dressed of the night.

13. Jasmin September 23, 2013 at 03:57 #

I love this print and the cut. It just isn’t the right dress for Lena, nor is it styled well.

• adrian September 23, 2013 at 18:41 #

14. Melinda September 23, 2013 at 03:59 #

I won’t attack her cause she’s a smart cookie…but that dress is every shade of unflattering. Girl needs a stylist who knows how to dress the curves of her unique body shape.

15. Mm September 23, 2013 at 04:20 #

Like the hair cut the most. I don’t hate the gown

16. Molly September 23, 2013 at 04:34 #

That gown is beaaaautiful! And she really stunned me on the RC preshow. I just wish she took it easier on the eyes. Great silhouette

17. Alina September 23, 2013 at 05:45 #

Simply ugly.

18. Loretta September 23, 2013 at 06:05 #

i dislike this girl. ugly is the correct word.

19. Aline September 23, 2013 at 06:08 #

The gown is bad, but I’ve come to expect it from her. But her eye makeup, jeeeez.

20. Denise September 23, 2013 at 07:03 #

I think she looks scary. She looks like a giant little girl starring in a thriller. The makeup and hair are terrible. WDOTY for me.

21. kane September 23, 2013 at 07:11 #

I think this is one of her ‘better’ looks. Still, it’s not particularly flattering.

22. Noemi September 23, 2013 at 08:59 #

An eyesore.

23. amy September 23, 2013 at 09:03 #

the dress is ugly, there’s nothing she can do about it except not wearing it

24. Alicat September 23, 2013 at 09:32 #

The dress could be stunning worn by a different person. The cut, colour and large flowery pattern just accentuate all the wrong things on Lena. But that matchy turquoise eye shadow with the childish hairdo is disastrous. Such a shame…

25. Léa September 23, 2013 at 09:34 #

whoever her stylist is should be fired. This is just awful, it makes her looks like a balloon. This woman can be gorgeous and wear flattering clothes. We have seen it in Elle mag. I don’t know why her stylist hate her so much.

26. Zissou September 23, 2013 at 11:12 #

The fabric looks insanely heavy and that ruins the look.

27. Neli September 23, 2013 at 11:37 #

NOOOO

28. Sandy September 23, 2013 at 12:20 #

by far the worst look, possibly ever

29. The Dame Intl September 23, 2013 at 12:21 #

What in the F no!

Lena, PLEASE! Your hair looks like its been cut by a drunk child, the top of the dress is pretty, I like the cut on your chest, but from the waist down, no, it’s about 1.5 meters too wide, are you hiding half eaten men under there? (Actually that’s a good idea, they make good snacks…)

Fix your hair, thin out the dress, add some black jewelled earrings and you’re done.

30. Lee ann September 23, 2013 at 13:11 #

One the plus side-yes there is one:the colour is good for her. BUT!!! What is the use of getting that right when the overall visual package is so off. This makes her look HUGE– the Fit , the volume is all too much. dressing well is more than just knowing what colour suits you.

Also whilst her make up is interesting -who doesn’t like a smokey eye-but with that hair style? no.

31. Mel September 23, 2013 at 13:41 #

This girl needs an stylist, and if she has one fire him/her. Sometimes your best friend is the one that says you how awfull a dress looks on you. The dress deserves an actress how can rock It and Lena a dress that suits her. This was a bad, bad, bad marriage

P.S: that dress could be awsome in Michelle Williams.

32. Jcky September 23, 2013 at 13:53 #

Well, very classic look, but I prefer the dress on someone else.

33. sasha charnin September 23, 2013 at 14:37 #

This was poorly fit as she doesn’t work with a stylist anymore-apparently. Neck up was great for her. I am so tired of her routine, tattoos, her bad look choices. And she has the world at her feet wanting to actually dress her. I love Prada more than anything but this was as if Marrimekko made the dress for her.

34. La-Shaun September 23, 2013 at 15:20 #

Her styling team hates her. She never looks good.

35. Camille September 23, 2013 at 16:17 #

Wow, where do you begin. First, Lena, hire a stylist or a new stylist.

Second, she isn’t the easiest person to style because of her size and shape and she lives in the land where a size 4 is considered plus size. That being said, she can do a lot better than this.

Large floral prints are not your friend Lena. Color yes, big floral prints no. The A-line is a good choice, but this one was just way too big, too voluminous to be flattering.

The makeup, well you’re young and so I’m giving you a pass because you had fun with it, but it isn’t really flattering, it’s just attention grabbing, there is a difference.

36. andrea September 23, 2013 at 19:41 #

She doesnt even TRY to be glamorous. The hair, the makeup, the yellow teeth. Ugh.

37. P A September 23, 2013 at 22:53 #

Yuck!

• anonymous as always September 24, 2013 at 14:48 #

hahaha ^ that ^

38. Jess2 September 24, 2013 at 10:54 #

This is such a shame. I want so bad for her to find the perfect dress. I don’t mind the top of the dress or the colour but the skirt is not flattering at all. I don’t like the eye makeup but she has such a nice smile.

39. Elayne Burke September 25, 2013 at 00:46 #

Like others, I so want to see LD look fabulous at one of these events, bc I know she can, but this dress! Come on. While the colors and the playfulness of it work, the pleated full ball gown skirt is beyond ridiculous and makes her look huge, and I blame Prada, who I know understands a full-figured woman’s shape as there are many in Italy! Can designers really just not dress anyone over a size 6 anymore?