Cate Blanchett In Christian Dior Couture - 'Blue Jasmine' Deauville American Film Festival Premiere

Cate Blanchett attended the premiere of ‘Blue Jasmine’ held during the 2013 Deauville American Film Festival in Deauville, France on Saturday evening.

This is Cate’s second red carpet appearance wearing a look from the Fall 2013 Couture collections, following the opening ceremony on Friday evening.

On this occasion she selected an exquisite Christian Dior gown with colourful embroidered details.

As beautiful as the gown is, I did have some issues with it.

Firstly, it didn’t photograph all that well in a few pictures. This leads me to my second issue, which is that the gown may have been just an inch or two too long.

On the model the gown barely touches the ground, preventing it from looking like a tent on her.

Is this nearly perfect for you? Or does Cate blow you away in this gown?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Dakota Fanning In Elie Saab Couture - 'Night Moves' Venice Film Festival Premiere

Dakota Fanning In Elie Saab Couture – ‘Night Moves’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

Harry Styles' Burberry Prorsum Heart Print Shirt

Harry Styles’ Burberry Prorsum Heart Print Shirt

70 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Christian Dior Couture – ‘Blue Jasmine’ Deauville American Film Festival Premiere

1. Rafael September 1, 2013 at 01:08 #

It’s a No from me.

• KC September 3, 2013 at 03:02 #

It looks like she is wearing the quilt from the back of Roseanne and Dan Conner’s couch.

2. Martin September 1, 2013 at 01:12 #

The dress is too big, too wide and too unwieldy for me. Even though I don’t like the dress, there is a precision to it on the runway that is lacking here.

Cate herself does looks gorgeous in it though. And once again she has taken a risk on a gown that no other celebrity would approach with a ten foot pole. Kudos to her for that. If anything, this dress suggests that this year’s awards season will probably be the most interesting in some time.

• Cookie September 1, 2013 at 03:43 #

ITA. The infrequent odd (but still interesting) choice from Cate is still better than the cookie-cutter style we get from everybody else.

• Cookie September 1, 2013 at 03:45 #

I would’ve preferred it just below the knee, the way Yves original Trapeze line at Dior was presented.

• Evil Britta September 1, 2013 at 09:49 #

• Noemi September 1, 2013 at 10:01 #

I agree with you, most of all about the first two lines. She can pull off basically everything, but this is not one her best looks.

• Christine September 2, 2013 at 02:39 #

Agreed. I see where she is going but this gown is way too big and wide but the act that she chose this is admiration in itself.

3. ramsay September 1, 2013 at 01:18 #

I am absolutely blown away
    but the dress itself
    but Cate’s natural poise and grace
    but mostly but her boldness
    That Blue Jasmine promo tour is this year’s best

4. Joa September 1, 2013 at 01:23 #

I think this is my fave look of the whole campaign. Bold, big, risky. She just looks above and beyond anyone.

• cass September 1, 2013 at 01:58 #

couldn’t have said it better – she stands out always

• Mariam September 1, 2013 at 03:18 #

This.

• julyol1972 September 1, 2013 at 08:15 #

Agree! I think this dress is amazing, and Cate looks stunning in it. Her carriage and confidence elevates the dress to an insane level. On anyone else, this would have would have been incredibly overwhelming and sack-like.

This will definitely be a marmite dress, as FC would say.

• jas September 2, 2013 at 06:27 #

couldn’t agree more. she is the epitome of elegance and style.

5. Juliet September 1, 2013 at 01:37 #

A big no. I’m no fan of hers fashion wise but lately she’s been choosing pretty bad dresses.

• dee September 1, 2013 at 16:04 #

I completely agree. This dress looks like a tent. Awful.

6. Nat September 1, 2013 at 02:15 #

A big no for me too.

7. Mandy September 1, 2013 at 02:30 #

To be perfectly honest i hated almost every look from the Dior Couture collection. I think Cate is selling this look as best as she can, its very impactful but i wished she had picked a different gown.

• Princess Chi Chi September 1, 2013 at 02:44 #

+1 with everything you said. Even Cate couldn’t salvage this mess.

• KatieKate September 1, 2013 at 08:06 #

I had NO love for this collection either, but Cate the Great does work her magic in this gown. Although I have issues with it, (e.g. length), I’m still enamored by the overall presentation.

8. shontay September 1, 2013 at 03:32 #

I absolutely love this. A tad too long, but otherwise perfect. Of course, the Cate look that I love is met with a meh from most.

9. Sanette September 1, 2013 at 03:50 #

Looking at the pictures it really does look like a tent unfornutely. I like the idea behind it though.

10. Dean September 1, 2013 at 04:39 #

Big no from me, too. The pattern I feel is kind of tacky and it’s shapeless. I think we’ll look back on it and wonder what she was thinking.

• Yeliz September 1, 2013 at 11:29 #

Totally agree. The shapelessness is my main problem. I dislike this gown a lot, but it wouldn’t have looked good on anyone to be honest.

11. Vince September 1, 2013 at 05:08 #

My LEAST favorite look from Cate’s promo tour by far. Honesty, whatever from Raf’s Dior or Saint Laurent Paris makes me sick.

12. Rebecca Z September 1, 2013 at 05:20 #

I really like the dress but agree it would have looked better on her an inch or two shorter–I am guessing she would have had to wear platforms because it must be very tough to shorten with all those embroidered rosettes. She is so classy and gorgeous!

13. Alina September 1, 2013 at 05:39 #

I can’t help being a little disappointed.

14. Mm September 1, 2013 at 05:43 #

Even the great cate can’t wear everything. The fit is horrible. It is just HUGE

15. Tatiana September 1, 2013 at 06:45 #

I really LOVE this dress, it is striking and refreshing (I even like that it is shapeless from some angles). It is actually my second favorite look of this promo tour (after the exquisite Balenciaga one). Dying to see what she wears next as she tends to be very unpredictable in a good way, but I hope she wears this blue Dior http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/F2013CTR-CDIOR/#7.

16. TL September 1, 2013 at 07:04 #

A big no. Cate herself is gorgeous and classy, but the dress is too long/ too big, and makes her look bulky. Also, I was dazzled by the pattern…

17. Alma September 1, 2013 at 07:46 #

After seeing that our first look at the Ellie Saab Fall 2013 Couture collection on Dakota looks exactly the same as any other Ellie Saab look: beautiful, but safe, I appreciate even more the slightly edgier choices Cate has made recently. She looks positively regal, but with a touch of quirk.

• Foteini P. September 3, 2013 at 13:53 #

18. G September 1, 2013 at 07:52 #

This dress is just ugly IMO, from the pattern to the shapeless design. It makes her look pregnant. I have to say that Cate herself still looks beautiful and probably everyone else would have looked even worse in this dress.

19. Cass September 1, 2013 at 08:25 #

Thumbs up from me! Only she can carry off a dress like that – and look so elegant and poised.

20. Jai September 1, 2013 at 08:43 #

I love this, but I agree, a tad too long. Still, that would be a very comfortable rc dress to wear – imagine you could really enjoy any 3 course meal they may serve!

21. Pablo September 1, 2013 at 09:00 #

Thanks to Cate’s poise she can barely make this mess work. The dress is horrible and the fit is terrible (that visible bra strap was just the icing on the disaster cake).

Having said that, I’ll always take a bad day from Cate before an ordinary outing from anyone else. I’m still waiting for her to blow me away, and I’m confident she will.

• CreoleLady September 1, 2013 at 17:10 #

+1.

22. Martha September 1, 2013 at 10:02 #

Too long but at least interesting!

Thanks Katherine for another weekend update :)))

• Catherine Kallon September 1, 2013 at 15:24 #

my pleasure…couldn’t wait until Monday to post this look :D

• KatieKate September 1, 2013 at 21:55 #

Yay! What a treat! :-)

23. Quinn September 1, 2013 at 11:35 #

I’m with the minority here. I love this. Her elegance and sophistication make this work.

24. rita September 1, 2013 at 12:11 #

If she were pregnant, I would have loved it but since she’s not she has no excuses to be wearing this potato sack. Still my favorite actress though lol! She hasn’t impressed in a very long time fashionwise,and she also needs to avoid anything close to her pale complexion because she completely disappears on the RC!

25. naomie September 1, 2013 at 12:14 #

I L-O-V-E that we can see wrinkles on the face of a famous 44-years-old actress, who looks beautiful with them, who can smile and have facial expressions that look natural and normal.
    Enough with the worship of youth, hooray for natural aging.

• KatieKate September 1, 2013 at 21:57 #

I thought the very same thing.

26. Paulyne September 1, 2013 at 12:46 #

I don’t really like it. She looks good in it , but i don’t like the dress.

FC, are you going to feature Ksenia Rappoport and Anna Safroncik in Alberta Ferretti Srping 13 and Judi Dench at the Philomenia premiere?

27. kane September 1, 2013 at 13:46 #

Again, she looks great, the dress doesn’t. The model wears it better.

28. kimtram September 1, 2013 at 14:34 #

I can’t think of anything good about this dress. Even the model can’t pull this off.

29. Namel September 1, 2013 at 15:21 #

The dress looks beautiful but it should be a little shorter and more narrow. This is one of her mediocre efforts but at least she isn’t boring.

30. shap_half September 1, 2013 at 16:13 #

Oy. This dress is rough. Cate always makes such fabulously interesting fashion choices, but I found this promo tour hit or miss.

31. Charlotte September 1, 2013 at 19:52 #

Awful dress.

32. amy September 1, 2013 at 20:17 #

love Cate and her ability to pull off bold looks but this is a no. it looks like she’s wearing a tent

33. Pedro September 1, 2013 at 20:41 #

Queen Cate looks OK… that’s sad

34. Ali Elgashi September 1, 2013 at 20:41 #

its very ugly dress

35. Marybeth September 1, 2013 at 22:36 #

My first reaction was that she had stolen my Granny Square blanket! (That is an old, popular crochet pattern where you make many colorful rounds and then link them together with rows of black yarn.) Yikes!

I don’t like the dress on the model but it’s even worse on Cate. They obviously shortened the straps, hiking the dress up so that it billows right under the bust. This gives too much of a maternity look— and yet it is still too long.

Ah well. She looks wonderful from the neck up!

36. Leo September 1, 2013 at 23:25 #

Dior has been a mess since Raf Simons came in but this just takes to a new level of ugly. This dress is terrible, and Cate is such a queen of the red carpet but even she can’t make this work. Worst dressed of the year? Burn the dress!

37. Charlotte September 1, 2013 at 23:59 #

Now this the Cate I know and love. I love this dress a great deal, it is not only different but also very pretty even if it’s a little long on her. I think the biggest problem the dress has is that does not translate well into pictures but in motion it is truly stunning. BDOTW worthy for me.

38. Prudence September 2, 2013 at 00:01 #

This is a complete disaster. Cate has always been a fave of mine because she takes risk but lately, her risks have been completely ridiculous. This 100% looks like a tent. Her beauty, poise and whatever other nice thing we can say about her does not change that. I think she has officially lost her mojo, she is consistently wearing these risky but awful and unflattering dresses.

39. Laura September 2, 2013 at 04:11 #

This won’t go down in history as one of Cate’s best but i just love her daring attitude to red carpet dressing. She is totally working this voluminous dress.

It reminds me of the crochet Romance was born dress she wore in Sydney a few years ago.

40. Monia September 2, 2013 at 09:31 #

My granma used to have a quilt just like this. I would have never expected something like this from her.

41. manja September 2, 2013 at 09:50 #

it’s too big and too long,so unfortunatly more tent like then on the model.interesting choice but not fitted properly

42. Denise September 2, 2013 at 10:31 #

An other NO for me. Too long, too big, can’t find anything interesting in it. This promo tour was a huge disappointment for me. Instead of giving us BDOTY looks it gave WDOTY looks. I can’t wait for it to end or provide at least one look worth remembering.

43. Marko_M September 2, 2013 at 11:20 #

Also the minority – LOVE this!

44. RT September 2, 2013 at 14:11 #

Dont like it on the model and not on Cate.
    Its more like maternity wear.

45. Nat39 September 2, 2013 at 18:01 #

Works on the model, a maternity tent on Cate.

46. Mery September 2, 2013 at 19:39 #

This dress screams Tilda Swinton. I don’t like it on Blanchett.

47. Kathy September 2, 2013 at 22:07 #

Anyone else think the dress looks like it has Boy Scout badges stamped all over it? The runway model pulls it off, but Cate isn’t selling it. This dress needed a certain severity and a very specific pose/stance so as not to look like a maternity garment.

48. Derro September 3, 2013 at 01:47 #

I love this. So much more wonderful than the Elie Saab mess Dakota wore. Thank you Cate for bringing FASHION to the red carpet.

49. Valley of the dolls September 3, 2013 at 05:16 #

I like this dress on the runway but I love it on her. It is perfectly suited to her style and working the hell out of this dress. One of my favorites of the year for sure!

50. Delia September 3, 2013 at 05:22 #

Gorgeous, even with the dress being very shapeless she wears it so well that I cannot help but love this on her (and only on her,lol). I’m obsessed with it.

51. roz September 18, 2013 at 20:19 #

l like the dress i love full dresses like that but the print is all wrong if it was a one color it would be so pretty.