Menu

September 4, 2020 Premiere, Runway To Red Carpet

Posted by Catherine Kallon

I think it is safe to say we were tad underwhelmed by Cate Blanchett’s first premiere look during the 2020 Venice Film Festival, but she returned her most spectacular form for the ‘Amants’ premiere on Thursday (September 3) in Italy.

Remember her all suiting phase?

Well its back. In grand style courtesy of Alexander McQueen.

When it comes to the black tuxedo suit, it’s pretty much overshadowed by the gorgeous hand-embroidered floral patched asymmetric top inspired by Spitalfields silk.

The skill involved in creating such a masterpiece is truly breath-taking.

And this isn’t the first time Cate has worn this. The piece was paired with a feathered floor length skirt which she wore to the BAFTAs back in 2016.

But let’s not totally forget about the suit which reflects the founder’s bold approach to tailoring with classic features – including shoulder pads and a single-buttoned front that sculpts the signature McQueen hourglass figure.

Stuart Weitzman black satin ‘Mae’ pumps and selection of diamond jewels completed her look.

Alexander McQueen Spring 2016

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , , , , , ,

Stacy Martin Wore Louis Vuitton For The 'Amants' Venice Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

Stacy Martin Wore Louis Vuitton For The ‘Amants’ Venice Film Festival Photocall & Premiere

Tilda Swinton Wore Chanel Haute Couture To 'The Human Voice' Venice Film Festival Premiere

Tilda Swinton Wore Chanel Haute Couture To ‘The Human Voice’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

16 Responses to Cate Blanchett Wore Alexander McQueen To The ‘Amants’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

1. pheephee September 15, 2020 at 10:00 am #

Love the top! She reword this one very well. It certainly keeps the interest. The hair is a perfect modern touch.
    She looks really quite excellent.

2. CN September 6, 2020 at 9:30 pm #

It’s such a gorgeous look—it really highlights her regal stature.

3. Manuel September 6, 2020 at 5:32 pm #

That dress is my all time fav of hers!

4. Manuel September 5, 2020 at 7:38 pm #

Hey Catherine!

There are two more outfits from Cate Blanchett in Venice. Can you take a look?

1) https://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/cate-blanchett-leaves-her-hotel-in-venice-09-05-2020-2.jpg

And thanks for doing such a good job, Catherine 🙂

• Catherine Kallon September 6, 2020 at 3:25 pm #

Thank you. I very much appreciate that.

I don’t have a Backgrid account so can’t feature the second one sadly.

5. Jess September 4, 2020 at 11:45 pm #

I genuinely don’t really understand the heroic act in recycling a look? Its so Hollywood at the moment …wear a suit and recycle it and you’re a queen. Just so out of touch!

• Sharon M September 5, 2020 at 1:09 pm #

Out of touch with what? She won’t cure Covid 19 recycling clothing, but why not wear these pieces again? It makes perfect sense to me.

6. Saudin September 4, 2020 at 6:23 pm #

All hail Queen Cate!

7. P&P September 4, 2020 at 4:14 pm #

I prefer the top with trousers than with the skirt she wore to the BAFTAs.

I don’t like the shoes, though.

8. Los_NGLS September 4, 2020 at 3:37 pm #

Sooooo beautiful!.. Though I do prefer the BAFTA feather skirt outing lol.

Also, I kinda hope she does an all recycled looks festival-awards circuit. It just makes sense, given the times, but also the treasure chest of looks this woman has to recycle from is UNREAL.

And please note that I will fully LIVE. AND. DIE. and LIVE again if she rewears this vintage Lacroix — https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2010/09/19/best-dressed-of-the-week-cate-blanchett-in-christian-lacroix-couture/

• anonymous as always September 5, 2020 at 1:16 pm #

I agree with everything you said 100%!
      That Lacroix is probably one of my favourite looks of all times and not just from her!

• Los_NGLS September 8, 2020 at 7:58 pm #

Fingers crossed!

9. TeaAtTwo September 4, 2020 at 2:24 pm #

The stunning top is the star attraction but for the red carpet, I prefer the look with the blazer on. The platform sandals look a tad cheap.

10. Chris September 4, 2020 at 11:29 am #

I love that this time, she didn’t just rewear a look she has already worn, but reinterpreted it/turned it into something different by pairing the top with pants and a blazer. I think that’s much more exciting than her just rewearing the exact looks (just with different jewelry). I love the result as well, it’s so sharp and chic. The hairstyling is great as well. I loved the version with the skirt she wore to the BAFTAs and I love this as well.

• Fee September 4, 2020 at 12:53 pm #

A showstopping McQueen piece and worthy of a re-wear.

Genuine question, does she own these pieces? Or does she just lend them from the designer again?

• Chris September 4, 2020 at 1:48 pm #

I think it’s a mix of both. Jessica Paster, who used to style her in the 2000’s, recently posted a picture of an old look of Cate. When someone suggested in the comments that it would be exciting if she re-wore it, Jessica replied that Cate does have the gown and therefore could re-wear it. So I think that she does have some of the gowns she has worn on red carpets, especially some of those she wore to awards shows, but I’m pretty sure she doesn’t own all of them and brands sometines lend them back to her.