Menu

December 31, 2019 Best Of

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #9

Posted by Catherine Kallon
Karolina Kurkova In Marchesa – 2014 Met Gala

9. Karolina Kurkova In Marchesa – 2014 Met Gala

I don’t think you could claim to love red carpet fashion, if you weren’t a fan of Marchesa’s designs this decade.

For a while, there was no red carpet event that the London design duo’s dresses didn’t grace.

The designs, which were usually Asian inspired, were like works of art, as beautifully demonstrated by Karolina Kurkova.

I sometimes go back and forth as to whether Karolina should’ve worn the necklace, but this look is ONLY about that dress.

In the early days of blogging, the one – if not only show – I couldn’t wait for during New York Fashion Week was Marchesa.

I much preferred the presentation format, as I was able to see the incredibly details up close. It was also the only time each year I would share a room with my girl crush Blake Lively.

Credit: Getty

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #10

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #10

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #8

Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #8

11 Responses to Best Dressed Of The Decade Critics’ Choice #9

1. Guest January 3, 2020 at 1:42 pm #

BAM, I think this would be my no 1. I ADORE this dress.

• Guest January 3, 2020 at 1:46 pm #

One of the reasons I loved it at the time was that it was so on-theme of that year. The skirt perfectly captured the outlandish-edgy vibe so many go for at this event but still had its roots in the work of Charles James.

2. Guest January 3, 2020 at 3:51 am #

Marchesa = Nope

3. Guest January 1, 2020 at 4:44 pm #

Women were forced to wear their designs by Georgina’s monster ex-husband. That’s why they appeared on so many red carpets.

4. Sharon M January 1, 2020 at 12:41 pm #

Breathtaking!

5. Guest December 31, 2019 at 11:16 pm #

I had 2 Karolina’s looks in my top 10 – both Marchesa and Rachel Zoe. This gown is impressive, while her gold Rachel Zoe at MET gala 2012 remains one of the most striking appearances ever imo. can’t help but feel slightly disappointed it didn’t get the recognition.

• Guest December 31, 2019 at 11:24 pm #

…forget “slightly disappointed” lol I’m very disappointed and baffled. It was an exceptionally stunning, jaw-dropping, strong look to behold, the kind that doesn’t come often.

• Phee phee January 6, 2020 at 12:32 am #

That Gold look. was phenomenal! It was on my top list too. Its a strong powerful look and one that ill never forget.

6. Guest December 31, 2019 at 8:51 pm #

Marchesa designs can be very overworked overdone but this design is amazing. Even Zac Posen must have been at marvelling the grand structural design of this gown. Just imagining twirling around in this.

7. Phee phee December 31, 2019 at 6:20 pm #

I ADORE this dress! Will always love it. #1 choice of the decade for me.
    I also adore Karolinas style. She’s one of the models with an elegant, refined style.
    Because of the event, the necklace entirely works. It was grand.

8. KseniaBradner December 31, 2019 at 5:37 pm #

This gown was from when M*rches* was good, 2008-2012. Then the design got bad. No one with actual style wears them anymore thank God. It sure says something that Cate Blanchett and Emma Stone and Keira Knightley never wore Marchesa.