Menu

November 7, 2019

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex First Visit to Westminster Abbey's Field of Remembrance Event

Meghan, Duchess Sussex attended her first Field of Remembrance event at London’s Westminster Abbey with husband Prince Harry on Thursday (November 7).

It was Prince Harry’s seventh time at the Field of Remembrance event, which has been held in the grounds of Westminster Abbey since November 1928.

Harry and Meghan each laid a Cross of Remembrance and observed a two-minute silence, followed by a visit to the plots. Meghan looked to be in good spirits as she chatted with veterans from the armed forces during the event.

Having wore two colourful looks last week, Meghan opted for a more muted colour palette to signify the solemness of the occasion.

The mother-of-one wore a classic navy midi dress with knee high black leather Tamara Mellon x Frame ‘Pic’ boots, and the textured Sentaler navy overcoat over the top which she teamed with a sophisticated navy hat by Philip Treacy.

I only really love the hat.

Slouchy boots?  At a Remembrance event?  It doesn’t quite feel right.

And when it comes to the coat, the belt is making it appear too bulky.

Considering the Sussex’s were filling in at this event for Camilla Parker-Bowles who was due to be at this event but had to cancel as she was ill, this last minute look was event appropriate at least.

Credit: Getty

, ,

Kim Kardashian's New Take On The Canadian Tuxedo For The WSJ. Magazine 2019 Innovator Awards

Kim Kardashian’s New Take On The Canadian Tuxedo For The WSJ. Magazine 2019 Innovator Awards

Katharine McPhee Foster Oozes Elegance In Christian Siriano For The 2020 Breakthrough Prize

27 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex First Visit to Westminster Abbey’s Field of Remembrance Event

1. Mady1908 November 11, 2019 at 9:35 am #

I LOVE the coat sans belt, I need this kind of coat in my wardrobe. The hat is completely appropriate, for the rest I’m not sure. The boots feel a bit heavy for the occasion.

2. Sharon M November 8, 2019 at 12:31 pm #

I don’t love the belt on the coat, but I also don’t understand why slouchy boots are not appropriate for this event. I thought she looks quite proper for a solemn occasion.

3. Guest November 8, 2019 at 12:20 pm #

I don’t get the problem with boots.
    They’re fine IMO (altough it’s funny to see Meghan in boots, hat and gloves and Kate in just a dress and pumps on the same day).

The belt over the coat bothers me.

The hat is nice – but doesn’t fit with everthyng else.

Her hair is finally looking good.

4. Guest November 8, 2019 at 11:22 am #

I’m not entirely sure what she’s trying to accomplish with this outfit. What a mess!

5. Guest November 8, 2019 at 11:18 am #

The Duchess probably realised that not matter what she wears people will always find something to criticise. Whether it is warranted or not. She is at that point where she doesn’t care and I applaud her for that. I personally love her boots and her hair. The coat is unflattering but if she is warm in it that is all that matters ?
    I think she should keep wearing what she feels comfortable the most. I just wish she would wear more colours.

6. Catarina_M November 8, 2019 at 10:13 am #

This is forgettable and bland, almost like she wants to be unnoticed.
    The beauty look is on point though.

7. Guest November 8, 2019 at 3:23 am #

I think she should have picked one ‘crumpled’ item at a time. Right now, both her coat and boats are crumpled and they make the whole look rather sloppy. If she wore sleek boots, it would be so much better. Make-up wise, flawless.

8. Guest November 8, 2019 at 1:17 am #

Her beauty look is on point. Her coat game is usually stellar, would someone explain that belt to me? *shakes head*

9. Jess Mara November 8, 2019 at 12:53 am #

I love the hat but I feel that she needed to pull her hair back. I thought the jacket was very nice and the belt gave her a nice waistline but I do agree it is a bit bulky. I like the idea of leather boots but not slouchy as I agree with Catherine that they seem very casual.

10. Guest November 8, 2019 at 12:34 am #

Always SLOPPY and MESS, classic Meghan.

11. Guest November 8, 2019 at 12:19 am #

This is just bad, no excuses. She needs a new stylist

12. Guest November 7, 2019 at 9:12 pm #

From the neck down this is a mess. The belted coat looks bulky and awkward. The slouchy boots are inappropriate. She needs a new stylist because she deserves better than this.

13. Dominos November 7, 2019 at 8:43 pm #

I’m scratching my head trying to figure out what about a slouchy leather boot is not right for a Remembrance Day event but I agree that the look would have been better without the belt.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards November 7, 2019 at 9:10 pm #

For me, they feel too casual for such an event.

• Dominos November 7, 2019 at 9:18 pm #

If they were uggs I’d agree but they look like a nice pair of leather boots to me. No offence truly, but it feels like nitpicking.

• Jess Mara November 8, 2019 at 12:51 am #

Feels very casual for the event!

• Dominos November 8, 2019 at 1:11 am #

I mean people keep saying that but not explaining why. Why scrunched leather is casual and smooth leather is respectful? I seriously don’t understand what you’re seeing. Are there articles in the press today about her shockingly casual scrunched leather boots that are an affront to vets everywhere? This seems like a completely invented rule.

• Jess Mara November 8, 2019 at 1:23 am #

I get your point but I think I see Remembrance Day/ANZAC Day/ Veterans Day events as polish your shoes, wear your best outfit, and groom with military precision! To me it is a sign of respect but I also understand people show respect in different ways.

• Dominos November 8, 2019 at 1:32 am #

i understand the concept of respect and dressing for an event ( we have Remembrance Day in Canada) I just don’t understand who decided a scrunched vs smooth booth is casual. You’d think she showed up in pajamas. No way this is a criticism on anyone else’s post.

14. Guest November 7, 2019 at 8:42 pm #

I agree, the boots look too casual but the hat is nice.

15. Paola102 November 7, 2019 at 8:00 pm #

I like the coat (sans belt) and the boots. Her hair looks really nice and love the hat. But yeah, maybe at another event. Everything needed to be a bit sleeker.

16. malluu November 7, 2019 at 7:50 pm #

The Sussexes were always scheduled to attend, it’s a yearly event for Harry and the addition of Camilla was likely meant to be a show of support for the Sussexes so there wouldn’t be any last minute scrambling for an outfit. I loved the top portion of the look but once I saw full length photos I just kept being drawn to the awkward way the coat was belted. Meghan herself looks beautiful as always.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards November 7, 2019 at 9:10 pm #

Ok, thanks for that. I guess I misinterpreted what I read regarding Camilla’s illness.

• Guest November 7, 2019 at 10:59 pm #

for consistency and respect it should be ‘Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall’ since you acknowledge Megan’s title and not her previous married name.

• malluu November 8, 2019 at 12:02 am #

Neither are their correct titles so what does it matter here? Saying first name comma title means that the woman is divorced from the person with the title but everyone even Wikipedia incorrectly uses it. Their correct titles are HRH The Duchess of Cornwall and HRH The Duchess of Sussex but it doesn’t make sense to use those because they aren’t the best for seo purposes.

• Guest November 9, 2019 at 1:10 am #

im referring to the use of “Camilla Parker-Bowles” in the last paragraph. my point is that it must be consistent.

17. Etude November 7, 2019 at 7:41 pm #

From the neck up, Meghan looks beautiful. The rest though, especially that belt with her coat, I just don’t understand that combination at all.