Menu

October 1, 2019

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex Wears A Simple Trench Dress For Her University of Johannesburg Visit

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex was all smiles as she made her way across the campus at the University of Johannesburg on the latest leg of her African tour.

I’m not gonna lie, I actually forgot this tour was still in progress.

The Duchess wore a sleeveless Banana Republic trench dress and matching nude heels, with her long dark locks flurried in the Johannesburg breeze.

It would appear that the Duchess has a thing for sleeveless trench dresses, as she wore one to The Nelson Mandela Centenary Exhibition back in July last year, and she also wore a similar style of dress when announcing her newborn to the world back in May.

Banana Republic

Credit: Banana Republic & Getty

, , , , ,

Cardi B's Purple Reign For Paris Fashion Week

Cardi B’s Purple Reign For Paris Fashion Week

Lucy Boynton Mixes Polka Dots & Gingham On Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Lucy Boynton Mixes Polka Dots & Gingham On Jimmy Kimmel Live!

28 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex Wears A Simple Banana Republic Trench Dress For Her University of Johannesburg Visit

1. Guest October 2, 2019 at 3:28 pm #

I thought it was Kim Kardashian at first glance. Would be nice I find she dress a little more formally as she is a representative of the UK.

2. Sharon M October 2, 2019 at 11:29 am #

I think she looks fine. She never had an hourglass shape…she is still much larger in the midsection. I am not bothered…not everyone has to dress to hid their actual body type. She looks happy.

3. Jess Mara October 2, 2019 at 1:47 am #

Shame that she doesn’t wear things that suit her body more. She looks stunning from the neck up but this makes her look a little boxy – which she definitely isnt.

4. Guest October 1, 2019 at 10:10 pm #

I get why she is picking the outfits she has worn. She wants the focus on the causes and not on the outfits. Which is find admirable. But some times with her she can’t win either way with some people. I love this dress just not on her. Her hair and make up have been FLAWLESS! Also wondering when her tag will change from “Meghan Markle” to “Meghan Duchess of Sussex.” Seems like it is take just as long as when it took to change from Kate Middleton to “Catherine Duchess of Cambridge” after they were married for over a year

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards October 2, 2019 at 12:38 am #

You are right. I keep meaning to change this. it’s a bit of a ball ache as it affects previous posts, slugs, categories, tags and URLs.

the longer I leave it, the more work I will eventually have to do.

thanks for reminding me

5. MissHebble October 1, 2019 at 8:26 pm #

As a relatively new mum (my son is 10 months old) and one who is still breastfeeding I have felt the pain of not being able to fit into my old clothes and struggling to find things that are appropriate for feeding in. So I can sort of sympathise. Sort of. With the resources a duchess must have at her disposal I would expect a bit more.

6. Guest October 1, 2019 at 8:13 pm #

She has the same body shape as Angelina Jolie and yet AJ always have very fitted outfits. I think MM looks better with a simple pair of jeans and a shirt. Or she should go for tailored suits.

• Guest October 1, 2019 at 8:23 pm #

They do have similar body shapes, both belong to the Natural family, but tailored suits can be their worst enemy just like this boxy, stiff dress. While structure looks more “put together”, they need somewhat loose and flowy fabrics.

• Guest October 2, 2019 at 12:35 pm #

Fair observation ?

7. Guest October 1, 2019 at 4:59 pm #

She’s worn some much more flattering outfits the last few days at the less official events. For example I really liked the navy dress and red flats ….i think she even wore some quite striking earrings with it. This one is much less appealing but hair and make up continue to be fab x

8. Guest October 1, 2019 at 4:10 pm #

She looks lovely and normal. I love this website but am always amazed at the adulation for cachectic women whilst finding normal body types “unflattering” whatever they wear. As a doctor am appalled at the blindness to unhealthy skinniness.

9. Guest October 1, 2019 at 2:44 pm #

“I’m not gonna lie, I actually forgot this tour was still in progress.”
    I think that is exactly what the Duchess wants. This outfit says Welcome to Dullsville, Population: 1.

• Etude October 1, 2019 at 5:15 pm #

I agree. I think she wants everyone to focus on her work for women’s causes and especially highlighting the horror of gender based violence, and not her clothes. That’s fine since they’re incredibly important subjects. This dress though, is especially bad but her hair and face are lovely as always.

10. Los_NGLS October 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm #

ALSO, I wanted to separately comment on how solid her hair and makeup have been! These are some SERIOUS blowouts she’s been rocking, and the makeup has been perfectly natural.

Does anyone else think that Duchess Catherine has gone blonder/lighter to differentiate herself from Meghan?? I mean obviously they would look nothing alike, even if they had identical cuts and colors, but still, I wonder…

11. Los_NGLS October 1, 2019 at 2:38 pm #

I am a Duchess Meghan stan if ever there was a Duchess Meghan stan… but I am getting a little bored, sadly. I understand the repitition, I understand wearing sustainable brands, but my goodness does this palette of navy, black and nudes get dull.

As far as fit, of this and other recent looks, I’m *erring on the side of: this woman gave birth to her first child 5 months ago, better fit things will come. And while yes she could certainly work much better with her 5 months post-natal body as it is, I think she purposely chooses not to. I think she purposely chooses not to present the “perfection” that someone of her social stature and wealth could achieve, to relate more to the “common” woman.

• Guest October 2, 2019 at 12:29 pm #

*erring

12. Catarina_M October 1, 2019 at 1:38 pm #

Bring back her Suit’s stylist please.

• Guest October 3, 2019 at 12:02 pm #

I have made $19846 last month by w0rking 0nline from home in my part time only.
      Follow this website now for more info……….easyjob50.com

13. Guest October 1, 2019 at 1:14 pm #

No. Boring dress. This color washes her out. Plus, the fit is unflattering to her body shape. Another forgettable outfit.

14. Guest October 1, 2019 at 12:34 pm #

Most of her recent looks are very unflattering and it looks like she’s hiding an early babybump or sth.

15. _Hannah_ October 1, 2019 at 12:05 pm #

It does nothing for her. But neck up she looks lovely.
    Still I keep my fingers crossed for her stylists to work harder and find style that suits her silhouette, position, character.

16. Guest October 1, 2019 at 11:55 am #

I agree with meme, this is most unflattering.

i like the hair and dislike the colourless matchy shoes.

17. Guest October 1, 2019 at 11:47 am #

This is so unflattering on her. Neck up she’s lovely.

• Guest October 1, 2019 at 12:51 pm #

agree. this is not about body-shaming but she has a short torso and an ill-defined waistline — and this coatdress seems to accentuate both.

• Guest October 2, 2019 at 3:23 am #

Wait until you see her green shirt dress from Room 502 . She wore it on october 1 to visit action Aid South Africa. That number is even more unflattering and has creases. Poor Meghan…

18. Guest October 1, 2019 at 11:44 am #

I wish she wore more African designers on this tour. This is very blah especially the dress shade against her complexion.

• Guest October 1, 2019 at 1:23 pm #

She did actually. She wrote some meaningful jewellery pieces and some shoes ?

• Guest October 1, 2019 at 10:04 pm #

She has! she has worn a lot of them!