Menu

May 8, 2019

Half & Half Met Gala Looks

Zazie Beetz Met Gala

There were two people who had the same idea at the 2019 Met Gala on Monday (May 6).

For Zazie Beetz, it was a dress in two acts from Thom Browne.

In the front, a black mohair suit with black grosgrain tipping on the jacket,  topped off with a bow tie.

On the back, a wedding dress in duchess satin, Lyon lace, and organza with an embroidered pearl lace detailing.

The look was styled with custom Thom Browne brogues, and a black turban with a black veil in collaboration with Stephen Jones.

This look is remarkably androgynous and fabulously camp, which she describes it as ‘an over-the-top bride situation.’

Christian Sirano created a similar, side by side look for Michael Urie.

I love the concept, especially the switching of the accessories and makeup.

It didn’t have the same impact as Billy Porter’s Oscar gown, but very creative nonetheless.

Credit: Getty

, ,

Amal Clooney's Green 'Catch-22' LA Premiere Dress Is Giving Me The Blues

Amal Clooney’s Green ‘Catch-22’ LA Premiere Dress Is Giving Me The Blues

Mango To Launch Met Gala Inspired Collection

Mango To Launch Met Gala Inspired Collection

11 Responses to Half & Half Met Gala Looks

1. MissHebble May 9, 2019 at 4:20 pm #

I love Michael’s look; it works in a way that only a Met Gala outfit could. You have to admire creativity like this, especially when you see how safe some people played it.

2. Jess Mara May 9, 2019 at 7:27 am #

Is Michael’s beard painted on or did her only shave one half of his face??? Amazing if he did!! Love the accessories he used and on the whole very unique look for the night

3. Phee phee May 8, 2019 at 4:39 pm #

Love Michaels outfit. Very creative and well done. Fun and in the tops!

Zazies not so much. I find it busy and messy. And not as well thought out.

4. Guest May 8, 2019 at 4:13 pm #

Why I’m I just seeing Brandon urie’s look. Did he arrive late or something?
    This is an outstanding looking. Better than Billy porter and ezra Miller. BDOTW and BDOTY nominee

5. Guest May 8, 2019 at 3:55 pm #

I like both of these a lot. I love how Michael switched up the makeup and accessories but I think I like the execution of Zazie’s a tiny bit better because the transition from male to female (or vice versa) attire is more seamless (the 1/2 bowtie is hurting Michael’s look).

6. Guest May 8, 2019 at 3:39 pm #

Love Zazie, one of my fave looks of the night late addition. She carries this tricky look very well, looking poised.

• Guest May 9, 2019 at 1:37 am #

just realized isn’t it the same thing that Ezra Miller wore in ‘camp’ Vogue shoot ahead of Met Gala?

7. Guest May 8, 2019 at 2:58 pm #

I love both ideas. I like the execution on Michael a little better.

8. Guest May 8, 2019 at 2:37 pm #

Michael’s look gave me the creeps, I thought it was a photoshopped when I first saw it. I thought it stood out as pretty unique in a wild fashion night.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards May 8, 2019 at 3:12 pm #

I thought it was photoshopped too when I first saw it.

9. Guest May 8, 2019 at 2:35 pm #

I don’t know but that left side of the Christian Siriano dress would make a very pretty dress <3