Menu

May 8, 2019

2019 Met Gala: The Major Ones We Missed

I did say that featuring everyone would be impossible, but there are just a few more I would like talk about before bringing the 2019 Met Gala to a close, and start work on putting together the voting post for your best dressed – which I’m struggling with as there were many great looks.

Nicki Minaj: In all honesty, I didn’t miss Nicki Minaj, I skipped her.  Why? Because I was very disappointed by her Atelier Prabal Gurung look.  Nicki Minaj IS camp.  Her songs can be camp, her music videos are often camp, and her style can be camp too.  So why, on this night, do you settle for a pink mullet dress with custom Brother Vellies pink ribbon sandals? I do not get it.  Her moment should’ve on a level with Cardi B, if not more so, because Nicki has been at this game a lot longer. I can only assume this was a last minute invite, so there wasn’t enough time to really get into the theme.

Alexa Chung:  At first I thought this was Dolce & Gabbana, but Alexa’s floral sequin mini was actually from her own ALEXACHUNG label.  Not really on theme, but very much on brand, right down to the beret.

Julia Garner:  I was really upset that I missed Julia the first time around, because this Zac Posen custom look was really a strong moment on the night. But like a few people at this event, I felt this look was more suited to last years ‘Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination’ theme.

Irina Shayk: I don’t know if it’s motherhood, and/or dating Bradley Cooper that has seen a turnabout in Irina’s style. It seems like the model has shelved the Versace slit-to-the-hip-bone gowns for a new brand of sex appeal, and I love it. She looked so chic in Burberry, who seem to be her designer of choice at the moment (having worn a Riccardo Tisci gown to the Oscars). But I have sneaking feeling that the a more recognizable Irina will come out to play at during Cannes Film Festival.

Ava DuVernay in Prada - 2019 met gala

Ava DuVernay: The film director is such a class act, and this Prada gown was a glowing reflection of that. I ADORE the colours.  From the emerald green to the sapphire blue crystallized belt.   The look is so electrifying and figure flattering, and I love that she wore her hair down on this rare occasion. One of my favourites on the night.

Credit: Getty

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Lucy Boynton's Pastel Blue Hair For The 2019 Met Gala

Lucy Boynton’s Pastel Blue Hair For The 2019 Met Gala

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2019 Met Gala?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2019 Met Gala?

21 Responses to 2019 Met Gala: The Major Ones We Missed

1. Guest May 12, 2019 at 1:04 pm #

This BIG problem with the whole evenjng was the theme.
    The Gala by itself has always been CAMP.
    So, first, i wish this was not the theme.

Second, most of the looks were a quality that leaves the most anticipated fashion redcarpet feeling a bit reductive of its past. When people were told to go OTT, why did they decide to look like sheepish, almost reclutant versions of their Met Gala pasts?

2. Guest May 10, 2019 at 12:37 am #

nicki snapped u mad

3. Guest May 9, 2019 at 10:01 pm #

i love Nicki but she could’ve done alot better!!!

4. Charlotte2019 May 9, 2019 at 1:44 pm #

I saw Nicki’s Vougue interview with Liza Koshy,she was not herself in the interview.it was all showing on her face.
    Clearly she was upset about something ,maybe the outfit is not what she wanted,or she was bummed that Cardi showed up in a awe-inspiring look and she settled for this pink disaster.

5. Guest May 9, 2019 at 3:02 am #

Nicki’s dress looks exactly like Diane Kruger’s from last year, also by Prabal, but in pink.

6. SarahS95 May 8, 2019 at 11:07 pm #

Thank you so much for your hard work covering all these looks!! An outstanding job as always and my absolute first choice for fashion critiques ?

7. Guest May 8, 2019 at 10:50 pm #

SO HAPPY you got to feature the stunning Zac Posen creation worn by Julia Garner. I somewhat agree that the dress may have been more suitable for last years event but it did someone cross-over with a slight air of ‘camp’ for this years event. Regardless it is fabulous and I LOVE it!

8. Guest May 8, 2019 at 9:14 pm #

Julia’s whole look is absolutely STUNNING.

9. HighPriestess May 8, 2019 at 8:43 pm #

Julia’s look is awesome, too bad it was not on theme.

Thank you for covering this event with professionalism and passion <3 this is by far my favorite fashion blog.

10. Guest May 8, 2019 at 8:25 pm #

I love Julia’s look. It reminds me of Ursula from the Little Mermaid. I would say that chartreuse hooded Versace gown she wore at Cannes had more camp than this gown which I would have enjoyed more at a different event.

11. Guest May 8, 2019 at 8:23 pm #

There’s a Nicki interview on the stairs where she seems to be throwing subtle shade Prabal. “This is how he interpreted camp, I guess..”

12. NZ May 8, 2019 at 8:12 pm #

I’m so glad that you featured Julia’s look, it was one of my favorites.

Thank you, Catherine, for all the hard work you put into this coverage and for all you do on this site.

13. OGCaroline May 8, 2019 at 7:52 pm #

Kinda meh looks.

14. Guest May 8, 2019 at 7:46 pm #

Thank you for the Herculean effort covering this event – not only on the night but all the wrap ups.

Julia’s was one of my favourites and definitely worth looking back on.

15. Guest May 8, 2019 at 7:40 pm #

Julia Garner looks stunning!! Possibly one of the best looks of the event.
    Don’t care for the other looks here.

16. Guest May 8, 2019 at 7:37 pm #

Julia’s dress is pure art. Can’t stop looking at it.
    I also like playfulness of Ava’s gown and lush sexiness of Irina’s.

17. Guest May 8, 2019 at 7:30 pm #

Covering this event must’ve been a grueling amount of work and a heavy loss of sleeping hours so thank you so much for your effort. We can always count on you.

The same cannot be applied to Nicki Minaj though, nor the effort, and definitely not the reliability. If there was ever one event where she could’ve stood out for the right reasons (something rather unfrequent tbh) it was this years ball.

• CKallon May 8, 2019 at 8:50 pm #

Thank you. It’s like 10 Oscars and Vanity Fair Parties in one night. But the response and engagement from you all makes it very much worth it.

• Red Carpet Fashion Awards May 8, 2019 at 8:51 pm #

18. Vu0n9 May 8, 2019 at 7:30 pm #

Julia’ dress by Zac Posen is a BDOTW contender. So ethereal! Yes, it suits last year Met’s theme better.

19. Phee phee May 8, 2019 at 7:13 pm #

I just adore Julias look. I know its not camp and I agree that it fits last years theme better but it is divine. LOVE
    Avas looks like a cheap art project. sorry
    Nickis is very disappointing. I like nothing about it.
    Alexas dress is super cute. wish she wore it on a regular rc.
    Irina looks lovely.