Menu

April 4, 2019 Runway To Red Carpet

Marsai Martin In Georges Hobeika Couture – 2019 NAACP Image Awards

Marsai Martin In Georges Hobeika Haute Couture - 2019 NAACP Image Awards

Marsai Martin attended her second event for the 2019 NAACP Image Awards on Saturday (March 30) in Hollywood, California.

The first one was fun and free-spirited, but this….this was a moment.

A coming of age moment some might say.

The 14-year-old, who is the youngest person to get a first look deal with Universal or any major studio, blew me away in this Georges Hobeika Spring 2019 Couture gown.

Some may feel that this is too much gown for someone so young, but I don’t feel age should be a factor.

Does she look good? Yes.

Is she overwhelmed by the piece? No.

Marsai is not only a star on the rise, she’s a force to be reckoned with.

Alexis Bittar jewels completed her look.

Georges Hobeika Spring 2019 Couture

Credit: Vogue.me & Getty

Danai Gurira In Rosie Assoulin - 2019 NAACP Image Awards

Danai Gurira In Rosie Assoulin – 2019 NAACP Image Awards

Michael B. Jordan In Burberry - 2019 NAACP Image Awards

Michael B. Jordan In Burberry – 2019 NAACP Image Awards

17 Responses to Marsai Martin In Georges Hobeika Couture – 2019 NAACP Image Awards

1. Zoe April 5, 2019 at 6:25 am #

This is too much for a 14 year old

2. Real Nat39 April 5, 2019 at 12:38 am #

This is beyond stunning!

• Caroline April 7, 2019 at 8:42 pm #

3. phee April 4, 2019 at 10:53 pm #

I love and adore this dress….I just don’t think she carries it well yet. She just looks too young for the dress and its too noticeable to ignore.
    But that dress is divine…I wish it was on an adult.
    Im torn on it. I want to say a best dressed but she doesn’t suit it.

4. alvarospain April 4, 2019 at 9:46 pm #

BDOTY

5. Ksenia Bradner April 4, 2019 at 9:34 pm #

Jason Rembert is her stylist. She’s making big moves and she hired the right stylist.

6. TeaAtTwo April 4, 2019 at 8:03 pm #

Especially looking at others it feels overdressed for the event, she should be at Emmys or Cannes wearing this. Those who feels this is oversexualised/provocative for 14 year have sexualised it not her doing so.

7. Luna April 4, 2019 at 7:15 pm #

I don’t understand where people see this being a sexualized dress? She’s only showing her shoulders, come on! She looks like a princess and knowing how hard it can be for a teenager to dress age appropriate, I think she nailed it.

• brat April 4, 2019 at 8:07 pm #

This picture doesn’t show it but there is quite a bit of cleavage on display.

That aside, it’s a very dramatic and seductive gown. A dream for any grown woman, which she is not, not yet.

Either way she looks spectacular and wins my best dressed.

8. brat April 4, 2019 at 5:45 pm #

I would have liked to see Kiki Layne in this. and Marsai in her blue gown.

9. YoungTimGunn April 4, 2019 at 4:31 pm #

Marsai is a 14-year old child. She’s lovely and undoubtedly a rising star, but this dress is much too much for any 14-year old. At best, she appears to be playing dress up. At worst, she is sexualized. I hope there is someone who cares about her enough to remind Marsai that life is a marathon, not a sprint.

• brat April 4, 2019 at 5:22 pm #

I was blown away by this beautiful gown and the poise with which she wore it. She’s the best dressed of this event.
      But after my initial joy, I remembered that’s she’s only 14. It’s a very mature gown for someone so young. And yes, it does sexualize such a young girl. I’m torn, she could have waited a couple years to wear something like this.

10. Lara April 4, 2019 at 2:55 pm #

I would have given this gown…specifically that neckline, a couple of years… She’s wonderful though, and it does not look vulgar or inappropriate… just mature.

11. justme April 4, 2019 at 2:48 pm #

She looks super pretty but imo, an adult would have carried this dress with a lot of more confidence.

She’s a teen so I’ll never hold it against her but I’m hoping for a re-run.

12. Ruth April 4, 2019 at 2:11 pm #

BDOTY
    This is a huge dramatic gown and she is wearing it well. She is not overwhelmed in the dress, she is carrying this gown with so much elegance.

13. Tina K April 4, 2019 at 1:56 pm #

This kid is going places and that’s what this look reflects.

• Catherine Kallon April 4, 2019 at 2:20 pm #