Menu

Lupita Nyong'o In Honayda - 'Us' SXSW Premiere

Lupita Nyong’o was on double duty this weekend promoting ‘Us’ and ‘Little Monsters’ during the 2019 SXSW Conference And Festival.

‘Us’ SXSW Premiere: This cut-out slick Honayda Spring 2019 suit, seemed like the perfect canvas for Lupita to be more creative with her hair and makeup to promote this horror thriller. You may find yourself on either side of the fence (horrified or thrilled) by the styling. I didn’t get either until I understood the inspiration. Anne Lennox and Grace Jones for her makeup and Snoop Dogg for the hair. The jury is still out on the hair.

Lupita Nyong'o In Honayda - 'Us' SXSW Premiere

‘Little Monsters’ SXSW Premiere: I was excited to see Lupita second look master pattern play. I’ll admit I thought this was Duro Olowu at first, but this dainty African-inspired look hails from Alice + Olivia’s Resort 2019 collection. Malone Souliers ‘Robyn’ pumps and a top handle bag completed my favourite look of the two.

Alice + Olivia Dasha Multi-Print Dress
Harrods, farfetch.com, Saks.com and Harvey Nichols

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

, , , , ,

Sophia Lillis In Rodarte - 'Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase' LA Premiere

Sophia Lillis In Rodarte – ‘Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase’ LA Premiere

Mila Kunis In David Koma - 'Wonder Park' LA Premiere

Mila Kunis In David Koma – ‘Wonder Park’ LA Premiere

11 Responses to Lupita Nyong’o In Honayda & Alice + Olivia – ‘Us’ & ‘Little Monsters’ SXSW Premiere

1. Amy March 12, 2019 at 9:17 am #

I love the white suit but the makeup and the hairstyle is too out here for me. Lupita does get major props for having fun with her fro.
    The second look is a print overload, this is an epilepsy waiting to happen. I do love the accessories.

2. Fanny March 11, 2019 at 9:52 pm #

I usually love Nyongo’s hair and makeup, but I just can’t get on board with the first look. The suit is exciting enough and would’ve benefited from a sleeker styling I think.
    The second look I love.

3. James March 11, 2019 at 9:17 pm #

Good for Lupita for showing us different ways of styling black hair. I will always command her for that. That being said I love the second look and wished her pants in the 1st look were better hemmed to fully enjoy the whole outfit.

4. Hailey March 11, 2019 at 5:41 pm #

I actually love both looks! The first is so different, I don’t love the hair though. The second dress is so fun and flirty!

5. TeaAtTwo March 11, 2019 at 5:06 pm #

I wish the pants had been hemmed for her and that hair and make-up only for met gala or Halloween. She looks good in the second shot styling wise but that dress is rather fugly.

6. pinksugar March 11, 2019 at 4:51 pm #

The first look would have worked had the hair and makeup been kept sophisticated, While I always appreciate her bold beauty looks, sometimes they end up taking away from everything else. The 2nd look works much better as a whole.

7. phee March 11, 2019 at 4:28 pm #

The first is a big no. The suit does look cheap and sloppy. The hair clip look is a huge no.
    The second is also ugly. The mess of patterns is just horror to my eyes.

8. Chris March 11, 2019 at 4:26 pm #

I kinda love the first look thanks to the unique head styling, although fit and hem are not exactly flawless.
    The second look is really fun.

9. JHH March 11, 2019 at 4:09 pm #

The first look is very bad and could be the WDOTW. The suit looks cheap. The cutouts are a sloppy attempt to add interest and even though I am always here for hemming, but this hem job looks like a child did it. Lupita’s hair is not just a no but a h*ll no — what’s next hair rollers as a style trend. The makeup, though, is very interesting. The second look great. Lupita wears the varied patterns very well and the shoes are gorgeous.

10. meme March 11, 2019 at 4:04 pm #

The suit would be great except for the cutouts and the pants are way too long. I don’t think her hair is styled for it either. I don’t like the dress – it looks like it’s made of 50 different patterns of fabric.

11. Charlotte March 11, 2019 at 3:51 pm #

I liked the suit until I saw the cut out on the sides, it makes the suit looks cheap.
    I like the make up and it works with the outfit, but I don’t like the hair.
    It may have worked for a funny event or with another outfit.

The second look is good. The dress is busy but she wears it well.