Menu

February 27, 2019

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Christian Dior Haute Couture -  British Ambassador Reception

No, I haven’t forgotten about what else is going on in the world of fashion, so please excuse me while I look back over the last two days while I’ve been neck deep in all things César Awards, Film Independents Spirit Awards, Oscars and the Vanity Fair Oscar party – I hope you enjoyed the coverage.

We start with Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, who attended a reception hosted by the British Ambassador to Morocco on the second day of her tour of Morocco on Sunday (February 24) in Rabat, Morocco.

She wore a Dior Haute Couture light beige silk dress with embroidery detail which I’m sure will have mixed reviews.

For this one you have to put it in context.

Aside from the fact that she is heavily pregnant, she was also respecting the Muslim culture with this look.

Considering she was in a room with Muslim ladies wearing headscarves – which she was not required to wear – I think this was a very respectable look for the event.

A Dior gold silk bee clutch and matching gold shoes completed her look.

Credit: Getty

, , , , ,

Best Dressed Of The Week

Best Dressed Of The Week

Zendaya Coleman In Marc Jacobs - Out In Paris

Zendaya Coleman In Marc Jacobs – Out In Paris

28 Responses to Meghan, Duchess of Sussex In Christian Dior Haute Couture – British Ambassador Reception

1. Lee March 1, 2019 at 2:57 pm #

Finally a Dior look I like on someone.
    She looks elegant and appropriate.
    Nicely done.

2. Mirna February 28, 2019 at 11:48 am #

Love this look, one of her best yet, so elegant and appropriate!

3. Maz February 27, 2019 at 8:58 pm #

I absolutely love this! So happy… she looks fabulous.

4. boy February 27, 2019 at 6:49 pm #

I loooove this look. There’s a sort of 70s chic element to it. She’s glowing as always.

5. Camille February 27, 2019 at 5:35 pm #

One of her best looks. So elegant and simple, very appropriate for the setting. Love the criss cross of the top and the embellished sleeves. The touch of gold in the clutch and the shoes are perfection. Her simple pulled back hair with low bun may become her signature hairstyle after this, it works with everything she’s been wearing this trip. She was absolutely one of the best dressed women there. And that is no simple feat when you are 7 months pregnant. Bravo Duchess!

6. JHH February 27, 2019 at 3:52 pm #

I like the idea of this and how well the shoes and bag work with the dress but the fabric is horrible.

7. brat February 27, 2019 at 3:02 pm #

I like the color on her and it’s very culturally appropriate considering the country she’s in.

Fashion wise, it’s just ok. Kate already gave us a similarly voluminous and pale-colored maternity look at a formal state dinner in Norway, with a more flattering fabric.

• Jess February 28, 2019 at 6:22 pm #

The colour is fine and the fact that she is covered-up is very culturally appropriate given the occasion. That being said, the part around her shoulders looks odd. It could be the way the fabric is draped or maybe it is because her bust looks like it has been shoved up way too high. But either way, for some reason the top part of her dress looks awkward and is giving line-backer vibes.

8. meme February 27, 2019 at 2:53 pm #

she looks lovely and i would have preferred a different color but she likes neutrals.

9. Martijn February 27, 2019 at 1:52 pm #

Lovely, the cut of the dress is great, comfortable for a pregnant lady and being slightly inspired by the djellaba. I’m not so sure about the colour. Some richer tone (blue, dark red, green) might have been better. But overall well put together.

• SilentVisitor February 27, 2019 at 2:44 pm #

10. Caroline February 27, 2019 at 1:27 pm #

How is this different from any of the nude Kim K looks while she was pregnant? Absolutely no, Meghan. Also I really hate how she doesn’t wear British designers a lot.

11. Vizual Ninja February 27, 2019 at 1:17 pm #

Very regal, the only objection I have is the colour.

12. Nat123 February 27, 2019 at 12:46 pm #

This is one of her worst looks ever. Color does nothing for her and the fitting is terrible. It looks like she is wearing a curtain and topped with blankets. One of her worst looks ever. Very disappointed as I liked her NYC looks.

• Amy February 27, 2019 at 1:32 pm #

no offense but the fitting is intentional. The outfit is mimicking the djellaba or the african “boubou”. She’s in Morocco after all. Not everything has to be tight and structured. Other cultures have different vibes. I suppose she was trying to emulate that.

13. mm February 27, 2019 at 12:22 pm #

Lovely

14. TeaAtTwo February 27, 2019 at 11:52 am #

I like that she didn’t cover her head. It’s elegant and polished and colour feels fitting.

15. Jui February 27, 2019 at 11:41 am #

Here’s a reminder….Thank you for your hard work.

16. justme February 27, 2019 at 10:35 am #

The main reason I was interested in their trip to Morocco was to see her wear a djellaba. She didn’t go full traditional but she didn’t let me down either.

One of her personal best. Easily.

17. MW February 27, 2019 at 10:29 am #

I like the style of the dress (the embellished drapey sleeves are gorgeous) and that it pays homage to the culture of Morocco.

However, the fabric simply looks cheap (you can again see her undergarments and belly button) and the pleats above the bust seem to optically flatten her chest.

That Said, I don’t envy her for having to find/wear evening dress while heavily pregnant so I will give her a pass because the style of the dress is very nice.

• vicky February 27, 2019 at 8:09 pm #

Agree, exept for the part about giving her a pass.
      With the squad and wardrobe a royal person has access to I’m baffled as to how many times the Duchess outfits are ill-fitting and poorly made and styled. This is yet another one of those times.

• MW February 27, 2019 at 8:52 pm #

I’m probably being too nice because I feel bad about criticising her clothes so often, but I completely agree with you! Especially considering most of her clothing is bespoke and from the best (couture) houses on the planet!

18. Kimma February 27, 2019 at 10:19 am #

The first of her maternity fashion choices I’ve truly liked.

19. CreoleLady February 27, 2019 at 10:15 am #

Elegant, appropriate, lovely. Imagining this in a pale blue, wistfully. Still, a personal best — and in her third trimester!

• Susie February 27, 2019 at 2:38 pm #