Menu

February 19, 2019

RIP Karl Lagerfeld: Icon. Legend. Visionary

The fashion world is in mourning upon hearing the news that Karl Lagerfeld has tragically passed away at the age of 85 today (February 19) in France.

His absence from the brand’s shows in January quickly prompted health concerns.

In a statement following the second show without an appearance from the German designer himself, a source said: “He’s really tired. He’s not doing well and he’s ready to stop.”

Regarded as one of the most important fashion visionaries of the 20th and 21st centuries, Karl Lagerfeld, who transformed Chanel after taking the helm in 1983, was rarely seen without his dark glasses, a silver ponytail and fingerless gloves — gaining him the reputation as the most recognizable man in fashion.

For more than three decades he worked tirelessly to produce up to six collections a year for Chanel and a further five for Fendi (including Couture).

I would like to thank him for the beautiful memories he shared with world.

Trying to highlight his best moments in fashion would be a never-ending task, and frankly I don’t think anyone could ever successfully do it justice.

With the Oscars on Sunday, I have highlighted some of Chanel’s red carpet moments from the event, in I hope that is will put a smile on your face as we remember the icon that is Karl Lagerfeld.

May he rest in perfect peace.

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Chanel dresses at the Oscars
Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Chanel dresses at the Oscars

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon features Jorja Smith In Emilio de la Morena - 2019 Laureus World Sports Awards

Jorja Smith In Emilio de la Morena – 2019 Laureus World Sports Awards

Juliette Binoche In Balmain Haute Couture - 2019 Berlinale International Film Festival Closing Ceremony

Juliette Binoche In Balmain Haute Couture – 2019 Berlinale International Film Festival Closing Ceremony

16 Responses to RIP Karl Lagerfeld: Icon. Legend. Visionary

1. VG February 20, 2019 at 1:16 pm #

I actually shed a tear when I heard of his passing. It truly is the end of an era and I don’t think fashion will ever be the same again. He was a creative genius, an artist, a visionary and now a legend.
    RIP Karl

2. SilentVisitor February 20, 2019 at 11:32 am #

I still cannot believe it! Perhaps I will wake up and someone will tell me it is not true

RIP

3. TeaAtTwo February 20, 2019 at 7:45 am #

I’m sure everyone is exquisitely dressed now wherever his soul has gone to.

4. Elena February 20, 2019 at 3:31 am #

This is a sad news for fashion.
    He was visionary, passionate, talented.
    Chanel will be different without him
    Rest In Peace

5. Caitlin February 19, 2019 at 10:30 pm #

I read once that he dreams of his designs and wakes up and sketches them. Seems a fitting ever-after for him, I think, if he slips straight into one of his dreams. Thank you for the tribute FC x

6. Tina K February 19, 2019 at 5:42 pm #

Don’t know if it’s just my perception but I feel fashion will never be the same again. It truly is the end of an era. We had lost Dior to Maria a long time ago and don’t think Chanel will ever be the same. Despite his personal quirks he was a visionary beyond compare, such artists (and businessmen) are rare. Hope his close friends and family find solace in this difficult time. What an icon, truly.

7. Amy February 19, 2019 at 3:40 pm #

Whether you like him, his work or not, there’s no denying KL contributed in shaping the fashion world. He created so many trends, launched, and helped so many careers… He really did it all. May he rest in peace. Much love to his family.
    The folks at Chanel must be quaking right now. These are some geant shoes to fill.

• Tina K February 19, 2019 at 6:03 pm #

I feel Chanel hadn’t articulated his declining health in the public but had been preparing well for this sad eventuality. Virginie had always been touted as the next successor within close circles of the couture house.

8. Vizual Ninja February 19, 2019 at 3:38 pm #

Beautiful tribute, FC. The fashion community has definitely lost an icon, RIP.

9. AnnieOh February 19, 2019 at 3:07 pm #

what a loss for the fashion world he will be missed.

thank you for a beautiful tribute FC.

10. Liyanah February 19, 2019 at 2:52 pm #

He will be missed!

From a passionate of dresses.

#LiyanahGirls

11. Emmeline February 19, 2019 at 2:50 pm #

RIP. This gets tossed around a lot, but it truly is the end of an era.

My personal favorite moment of Chanel at the Oscars was Winona Ryder wearing that beaded black gown in 1997.

12. High Priestess February 19, 2019 at 2:44 pm #

It’s a really sad day for all of us who love fashion. R.I.P. Karl, you will be deeply missed <3

13. weiss February 19, 2019 at 2:40 pm #

Truly sad. He always said he will die at Chanel and he truly did. We all knew he was mortal, but he always seemed to be one of those people that would live forever. He really contribute to make fashion what it is to day, a brought Chanel back to its former glory.

I know wherever he is know he is making catty comments about what others are wearing. This is truly the end of an era in fashion. He was the last of a dying breed still working. R.I.P.

• meme February 19, 2019 at 3:40 pm #

+1…I bet he left all his money to his beloved Choupette so she’d be cared for in the fashion to which she is accustomed. He loved her so. I write this with great affection. RIP, Mr. Lagerfeld.

14. dedel February 19, 2019 at 2:39 pm #

Tragic news. I hope we will keep seeing Chanel dresses on the red capret for many years ! The King is dead, long live Queen Virginie !