Menu

25.12.18 Best Of

Best Dressed of 2018 – Critics’ Choice

1. Lady Gaga In Valentino Haute Couture – ‘A Star Is Born’ Venice Film Festival Premiere
2. Elle Fanning In Valentino Couture – ‘Isle of Dogs’ Berlinale International Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony
3. Cate Blanchett In Armani Privé – ‘A Star Is Born’ Venice Film Festival Premiere
4. Angela Sarafyan In Christian Siriano – 2018 Emmy Awards
5. Nicole Kidman In Armani Privé – 2018 Oscars
6. Zoe Kravitz In Armani Prive – ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald’ London Premiere
7. Sarah Paulson In Prada – ‘Ocean’s 8’ World Premiere
8. Nieves Alvarez In Ermanno Scervino – Out In Cannes
9. Rosamund Pike In Givenchy Haute Couture – ‘A Private War’ London Film Festival Premiere
10. Lady Kitty Spencer In Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda – Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Royal Wedding

Best Dressed Men of 2018 – Critics’ Choice

Best Dressed Men of 2018 – Critics’ Choice

Naomie Harris' Dundas Printed Lamé Silk-Blend Gown

Naomie Harris’ Dundas Printed Lamé Silk-Blend Gown

58 Responses to Best Dressed of 2018 – Critics’ Choice

1. Rulala December 28, 2018 at 7:13 pm #

Thank you for the painstaking, honest, hilarious and wonderful coverage! Coming to this site has been so much fun and so informative. I’ve felt my sense of style updating over the years because of your keen eye and taste and just by the sheer amount for exposure to fashion (also sometimes the readers comments here).

All the best for 2019 Catherine! So happy that you’ve brought the site back.

• Catherine Kallon January 1, 2019 at 11:39 pm #

Thank you Rulala. I wish you all the best for 2019. May all your dreams and wishes come true x

2. Fiona-Brasil December 28, 2018 at 1:49 pm #

Thank you for a wonderful 2018 Catherine, and a very happy 2019!!!Greetings from Brasil!

3. TeaAtTwo December 28, 2018 at 12:15 am #

I read the Cosmopolitan article that interviewed you about the Blake incident. Still annoyed at that whole fake woke feminism approach. The title felt and link to Cosmo’s previous coverage seemed to miss the point and her praising Blake as if she did something admirable.

• Real Nat39 December 28, 2018 at 11:17 pm #

Yup, that whole reaction felt way overblown and fake, 100% agree with you there 🙂 It was such an obvious “publicity move” – even a blind could’ve seen that it was a simple funny remark fashionwise, which, unfortunately, was used as a loophole to gather some “hot-topic” attention from the public.

Honestly, If I were FC, I’d stop giving Blake the preferential treatment she doesn’t deserve…. Blake could use a lot of improvement on the style front.

4. Andrea December 27, 2018 at 10:49 am #

What a great Best Of 2018!

Everyone who loves this blog lets click on the ads 🙂

• eddie December 27, 2018 at 5:52 pm #

Agree with you.
      People, let’s click on the ads

• Catherine Kallon January 1, 2019 at 11:41 pm #

you’re all amazing. thank you for your support x

• TeaAtTwo January 4, 2019 at 2:06 pm #

Don’t forget to like and retweet if you’re on Twitter too

5. Miss Coco December 26, 2018 at 1:56 pm #

Merry Christmas FC!!!! I love the results of your effort! Always a beautiful group of breathtaking gowns. Personally when I saw Nicole in these blue dress, I prayed for see it in the list!!! Real diva moment of perfection. Also the green Prada on Mrs Paulson. Yo deserve now a resting and recharging period. See you next year!!!

6. Sanya December 26, 2018 at 9:42 am #

Lovely list. I have six of these on my BDOTY list: Lady Gaga number 6, Cate Blanchett number 3, Angela number 2, Nicole number 4, Zoe number 8 and Kitty number 5. My best dressed of the year is Paz Vega in Christopher Bu at the Oscars.

7. Miss H December 26, 2018 at 8:05 am #

Thank you for another fantastic year of coverage Catherine – I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year! All the best for 2019 xx

8. Chiliam December 26, 2018 at 6:56 am #

Thanks RCFA for an amazing coverage all year long.

Hopefully you can continue to run this blog for more years to come

9. Lashae December 26, 2018 at 4:59 am #

Thanks Catherine for the great work you’ve done this year and can’t wait for the fashion of 2019.

10. cs December 26, 2018 at 3:25 am #

Thank you for an amazing year! Though I hardly get to comment, I visit this site almost daily – and, on a personal note, truly enjoy being able to chat with my mom about the posts during her weekly calls. We appreciate your passion and hard work and hope you keep going!

11. argentina December 26, 2018 at 2:40 am #

After all this years following the blog, is the first time we have the same look as BDOTY.
    Thanks Catherine for the consistent coverage, the exhaustive analysis and the understanding of style rather tan only trends.
    I love opening the blog every day. Thanks for this wonderful space.
    Best wishes for 2019!

12. CD December 25, 2018 at 10:20 pm #

Killer list

13. Amy December 25, 2018 at 8:21 pm #

Great list. Minus the Gaga look though. It gave me big bird vibes and the tan, the hair..
    I would replace it with Zendaya or Priyanka MET looks.
    Love that Sarah Paulson is here. I thought she would be forgotten

14. weiss December 25, 2018 at 7:45 pm #

One of my christmas traditions is waiting to see what Cate Blanchett looks end up on this list.

Thanks Catherine for your hard work on this site throught the year. Happy holidays and wishing you an amazing 2019.

15. alvarospain December 25, 2018 at 6:11 pm #

Catherine, are you going to post numbers 11 to 20 of the lists like other years?? Thanks and merry Christmas.

16. TinaL December 25, 2018 at 3:49 pm #

THANKS for a great 2018, FC. Love your list, I have 1,3,6,9,10 on my favorites too. Merry Christmas~

17. Fanny December 25, 2018 at 3:32 pm #

Merry Christmas FC and thank you for all your hard work this year.
    Can’t wait for award season to begin!

18. Eda December 25, 2018 at 3:11 pm #

Wow .
    Couldn’t agree more with your Top 3.
    That Lady Gaga is not only a gown but a moment she created.

Thank you for your amazing job, dear Fashion
    Critic.
    Wish you all the best.

19. Lena December 25, 2018 at 2:52 pm #

Say whatever you want to say, lady Gaga came in this year and shook the game! All your basic actresses had to step up their game! Can’t wait for award season it’s going to b AMAZING,

20. Malvern December 25, 2018 at 2:51 pm #

Thanks again for all the hard work. I LOVE the annual round-ups so much.

I had very different tastes from most ppl, and agreed more with FC’s list (sharing 4 of the same top 10) than the public list (sharing 2 of the same top 10). I also think I only got 1 of the category polls (I picked Givenchy for designer of the year).

Love that we all have different opinions though. Fashion is art. Art is subjective. If I wasn’t interested in learning how other ppl view art/fashion I wouldn’t read the comments, but I do because it’s fun and informative

Happy holidays Catherine, team, and readers – and may we all have a safe, stylish and happy 2019!

x

21. Caroline December 25, 2018 at 2:03 pm #

Merry christmas and happy new year FC team!

22. Tina K December 25, 2018 at 2:03 pm #

I just realized that all looks Catherine has chosen are all timeless ones, I think they would have had the same impact if they had been worn years down the line. I just wish the list was for top 20. Thanks for the extensive coverage this year Catherine, take care. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

23. Jackson December 25, 2018 at 1:06 pm #

Thank you Catherine for all of your hard work!

24. Chris December 25, 2018 at 1:01 pm #

Thanks for another year of amazing fashion coverage on here, Catherine x Can’t wait for next year. Happy holidays!

25. CreoleLady December 25, 2018 at 12:45 pm #

0 for 10 for the women, that’s a first. Not a big fan of feathers so I knew I was going to diverge there in a big way, lol. My lists differ radically but hey, different strokes. Must mention Zendaya though, I though she had a fantastic fashion year, do wish she had gotten a little love.

26. Phee December 25, 2018 at 9:46 am #

Oooo. wow.
    wasnt expecting that.
    an over feathered, over tanned, over hair dyed, wanna-be Kim k, look as first choice….

did not see that coming.

• Silvia December 25, 2018 at 10:54 am #

Wanna be Kim K! As in, a musician, singer, songwriter, dancer, producer and actress wants to be… a woman with a big arse who got famous for making a sex tape where her boyfriend peed on her and then marrying a rapper. Hahaha ok, girl. Sure.

• Lena December 25, 2018 at 2:50 pm #

Yaaaaaaaas speak the truth Silvia!

27. Ruth December 25, 2018 at 6:32 am #

The ladies from the crazy rich Asians premiere
    Allison janneys’s two tone bafta gown
    Angelina Jolie black Bafta gown
    Thandie’s emmy gown
    Anne Hathaway graphic print oceans 8 premiere gown
    Janelle monae, vanity fair oscar party tuxedo

So many choices to choose. A little bit disappointed in this list.
    Zoe kravitz doesn’t dress well. She shouldn’t be on the list

28. Ruth December 25, 2018 at 6:18 am #

6,8 and 10 are meh.
    So many lovely looks from the met gala and
    Cannes also. Surprised none made the cut.
    Lupita’s purple black panther priemier look, no where to be found.
    Ms. Kruger at the golden globes, no where to be found

29. EmmaWoodhouse December 25, 2018 at 6:03 am #

Yay for 10! Also love the range of silhouette and color here. These weren’t all my choices, but we had some magnificent fashion this year.

30. Kimma December 25, 2018 at 5:41 am #

Thanks for a fantastic year of coverage Catherine! Happy holidays xx

31. Susie December 25, 2018 at 5:23 am #

Great picks. I love all the looks here, except #1 and #9. Really glad that Elle, Zoe, and Kitty made this list since they weren’t on the readers’ list.

Thank you as always for your wonderful commentary, Catherine. Love the site, and happy holidays to you!!

32. Joel December 25, 2018 at 4:50 am #

As a Little Monster and a follower of this site for many years I can say that I never thot that Lady Gaga will make it to the top on your list! Love it xx greetings from Mexico

33. HL December 25, 2018 at 3:07 am #

Also, surprised with this list, sorry.

In general, I feel it a bit underwhelming. Also, I don’t get 5 and 6.

• HL December 25, 2018 at 3:08 am #

I meant 5 and 9

34. Isabela December 25, 2018 at 3:03 am #

So happy that Kitty is here! She looked amazing!

35. Kelly December 25, 2018 at 2:55 am #

Thank you for the year in review and thank you always for this site! Happy holidays and happy new year

36. Real Nat39 December 25, 2018 at 2:39 am #

#1,2,4,5,7 made my list, but overall I find this list a bit surprising and on the underwhelming side once again, sorry.

• TeaAtTwo December 25, 2018 at 2:58 am #

^Patronising much

• Real Nat39 December 25, 2018 at 3:11 am #

Why?? My honest thoughts..

• TeaAtTwo December 25, 2018 at 3:18 am #

Your tone is arrogant and sneering.

• Real Nat39 December 25, 2018 at 3:34 am #

tone? if that’s how you perceive it…

• TeaAtTwo December 25, 2018 at 12:19 pm #

Using words such as underwhelming are definitely sneering. I mean I found Aishwarya’s Cannes gown a bit cheesy and dated but wasn’t telling those who love it that they’re wrong because we all have different tastes and opinions and we can say it with out being patronised or patronising others.

• Real Nat39 December 25, 2018 at 7:53 pm #

People don’t have a problem criticizing Readers’ list, saying it’s “terrible, underwhelming” and so on. So, why is it a problem to say what I think about this list??? I never said it’s wrong or bad, I said I (personally) found it underwhelming. There is absolutely no ground for your to react this way.

Happy Holidays!

• Real Nat39 December 25, 2018 at 9:03 pm #

and Re: Aishwarya. I never ever said that FC should’ve included her in this list (but I do find it surprising that Nieves’s pink look at #8, which I also adored, wasn’t even included in the poll on the week when Aishwarya’s Cannes and Zendaya’s MET looks were announced as FC’s Best Dressed of the Week)

• Real Nat39 December 25, 2018 at 3:11 am #

…scratch “a bit” surprising…I’m surprised to the point that I find this year Critic’s both lists (men and ladies) rather compatible with the Readers’ lists, unfortunately, even some better picks for the Readers in menswear…

• Bec D December 25, 2018 at 7:32 am #

It’s almost as if different people have different fashion tastes? Weird!

😂😂

• Catherine Kallon December 25, 2018 at 10:52 am #

😂😂😂 thanks for that. These list never please everyone. I used to spend hours working on them trying to please everyone. Now I just make it based on my favourites.

Merry Christmas x

• TeaAtTwo December 25, 2018 at 12:20 pm #

Merry Christmas FC and to other readers.

• Real Nat39 December 25, 2018 at 7:59 pm #

@Bec D I’m surprised because I’m used to finding Critic’s list Superior rather than “different”.
          Either way, it’s all a light-hearted fun to me, not sure where TeaAtTwo is coming from here with some “tone”..hehe

Happy Holidays to FC and all the Readers!!

• TeaAtTwo December 25, 2018 at 10:10 pm #

Telling someone else that their choices was underwhelming is lighthearted fun and superior this year, OK..

• Real Nat39 December 25, 2018 at 10:23 pm #

You are the one unnecessarily aggravating things in the 1st place, can’t you see it yet?? Just take it easy. Merry Xmas to you.