Menu

10.12.18

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon feature the Beyonce Knowles In Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla, Falguni Shane Peacock &  Shivan & Narresh - Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal's Pre-Wedding Celebrations

Another Indian wedding hit the headlines on Sunday (December 9), but the focus wasn’t on the bride (Isha Ambani) and groom (Anand Piramal), it was all about Beyonce Knowles who performed at the couples pre-wedding celebration.

John Legend performed at the engagement announcement, Beyonce at the pre-wedding, so who will perform at the wedding? Because it doesn’t get much bigger than Bey.

I love that Beyonce fully embraced the cultural fashion of Mumbai, first wearing a Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla embellished dress with PinkCity jewels.

For her performance for her hit songs ‘Crazy In Love’ saw her wearing an emblazoned gilded bodysuit (naturally), dipped in shimmering fringe and embellishments by Falguni Shane Peacock. The look was styled with some gold thigh-high boots.

The third look was another bodysuit by Shivan & Narresh which was delicately beaded and feathered.

All the looks are beautiful, but the first is beyond stunning.

Credit: MASON POOLE/Beyonce.com

Get Up To 50% Off In The MATCHESFASHION.COM Sale

Get Up To 50% Off In The MATCHESFASHION.COM Sale

Fashion Blogger Catherine Kallon feature the Vanessa Hudgens In Giamba - 'Second Act' LA Photocall

Vanessa Hudgens In Giamba – ‘Second Act’ LA Photocall

31 Responses to Beyonce Knowles In Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla, Falguni Shane Peacock & Shivan & Narresh – Isha Ambani & Anand Piramal’s Pre-Wedding Celebrations

1. Kat December 12, 2018 at 7:31 am #

Hi there

Just want to go on the record and say there are multiple ppl with the username ‘Kat’

I’ve been here since 2009, and thought I was the only Kat here until today. Possible I just hadn’t noticed before. If so, my apologies to the other Kat’s out there!

2. Amy December 11, 2018 at 11:34 am #

The first look is fine. The other two are giving me major deja vu.
    She needs a style rejuvenation, all those bodysuits are so passé.

3. phee December 11, 2018 at 6:39 am #

eye roll

• Iva December 11, 2018 at 10:47 am #

4. Lelia December 11, 2018 at 5:39 am #

The Shivan & Narresh outfit is super strange with the sleeves, the large pearls and embroidery making her chest look 10 times bigger

5. JHH December 10, 2018 at 10:07 pm #

And it’s not the groom is a scrub. His father is also a multi-billionaire. If I could afford it, I would have Mariah Carey sing at my holiday party. And if I could make US$2 million and more likely 5 million for singing for about 90 minutes tops, I would do that. So no judgment from me on either side of this transaction.

6. justme December 10, 2018 at 6:31 pm #

Just like in South Africa, I’m glad that she embraced and celebrated the culture of where she was performing.

7. JHH December 10, 2018 at 5:09 pm #

Beyonce looks gorgeous in all three pictures. I have nothing against her bodysuits — they work for her performances and what she does on stage and she looks great in them. This hair color is terrific on her. I don’t like when she goes very blonde.

8. meme December 10, 2018 at 4:26 pm #

I didn’t recognize her in the first photo. Does she ever wear pants?

9. Vizual Ninja December 10, 2018 at 3:45 pm #

I have to take the time to Google these folks, John Legend for the engagement, Beyonce for the PRE-wedding celebration?!!…I wonder who the heck will be there for the actual ceremony. Anywhoo, she looks gorgeous, especially in the traditional garment and love that she’s rocking darker hair.

• JHH December 10, 2018 at 5:15 pm #

Bride is worth around US$700 million. Father of the bride is the richest man in India and in the top 20 in the world. It shows that if you have enough money, you can even the biggest names in the world to perform for you. Let’s say it cost US$5 million to get Beyonce to perform (she got US$2 million to do a party in 2015). That is small change compared to the Ambani’s net worth and Beyonce being a businesswoman would be a fool to pass up that easy money.

• Vizual Ninja December 10, 2018 at 5:49 pm #

Yes, I read up a bit on both families after this comment and it gave me a headache lol. Such wealth is inconceivable to me. But can’t judge, won’t say I wouldn’t have Beyonce or someone similar at my wedding if I could afford it lol

• JHH December 10, 2018 at 10:07 pm #

10. pinksugar December 10, 2018 at 3:16 pm #

She looks breathtaking in every single look. Classic Bey style, with a fresh, glamorous approach that is perfect for the event.

11. Thit December 10, 2018 at 3:12 pm #

The first look is just so, so Mariah Carey to me, and that is not meant as a compliment. The other two, though beautiful, look basic because those bodysuits seem to be all she ever wears on stage.

12. Cheeky Girl December 10, 2018 at 2:52 pm #

I am so over the bodysuits.

• Caitlin December 11, 2018 at 4:41 am #

Love the multi-coloured Versace looks, she should do more of those!

13. Kat December 10, 2018 at 2:09 pm #

I hope she wears these designers again because these looks are stunning! Zerina Akers has been killing it lately with these performance looks

14. Caroline December 10, 2018 at 1:58 pm #

Love the second performance look.

15. Charlotte December 10, 2018 at 1:57 pm #

I like the first look but it would have been better without the sheer panel.

The two other looks are pretty standard for her.

16. Caroline December 10, 2018 at 1:57 pm #

Isn’t that cultural appropriation or when BeyoncĂ© does it it’s okay? Just asking.

• Kat December 10, 2018 at 2:21 pm #

Was it cultural appropriation for Nick Jonas and his family to wear traditional Indian garments to his wedding?

Because the same thing is happening here, she was invited to an Indian wedding everyone even westerners were dressed in clothing for the occasion. Also celebrating Indian designers in their home country is a sign of respect.

A quick Google search brings up numerous articles on the difference between Nick Jonas and Beyonce and say Katy Perry (geisha woman) and Kim K (cornrows)

• Caroline December 10, 2018 at 2:44 pm #

Ok, I get it. I was genuinely asking. Since she is not AT the wedding, she’s just doing a photoshoot, I was wondering if it is considered offensive. Thanks for clearing that up! I’m not too fond of the concept. I was wondering if all guests have to wear traditional Indian outfits or just family.

• Caitlin December 10, 2018 at 10:11 pm #

I was wondering the exact same thing. It’s considered cultural appropriation for white people to wear an African print or Native American headdress, or a geisha look (Katy Perry). Yet it’s not the same when a black woman wears an Indian sari etc. I can see why people can get confused and need to ask for clarity – but I think if it’s done with respect it’s always a good thing 🙂

Kat, you mentioned Nick Jonas – I think the key difference in his situation is that he was being invited to take part in and celebrate Indian culture by his wife and her family. In that way it felt genuine and respectful.

It becomes problematic when it comes off as costume-y (which, personally, I kind of get a costume-y vibe from Bey in this picture).

• Kat December 11, 2018 at 2:02 am #

Caitlin,

I am confused. Was she not invited to the wedding festivities by the bride and her family? Are the festivities not in India? What would have been appropriately respectfu attire for the occasion?

Beyonce often posts her outfits online before she wears them to events since the paps never really catch her in public. These photos were mostly released by her photographer.

In your opinion it feels costumy and your entitled to your opinion but just say you don’t like her don’t try to draw lines that don’t actually exist.

For the record African Americans can commit cultural appropriation see Nicki Minaj’s costumes in her Chung Li videos.

• Caitlin December 11, 2018 at 4:39 am #

Kat there is no need to be so rude. I give up trying to have a respectful conversation with you.

• Kat December 11, 2018 at 8:13 pm #

Sorry if you felt it was rude to ask some clarifying questions about why you feel her looks were disrespectful when the Jonas family’s were not in the same circumstances. I think it’s fine that you don’t like Beyonce but the original question was is this cultural appropriation? I don’t believe you have given a satisfactory answer to why this would be cultural appropriation.

• Caitlin December 11, 2018 at 10:08 pm #

Kat,
              1. It’s your tone that’s rude, as you well know.
              2. I never said I don’t like Beyonce – that’s entirely your assumption and you sound immature to keep repeating it.
              3. I was talking about the lack of consistency in the conversation surrounding cultural dress, not the concept of cultural appropriation itself – i.e. people are quick to criticise some, but let others get away with it. I am interested in the nuances behind this.

You’re not going to win an argument but just attacking anyone who disagrees with you. Oh and it should never have been an argument, just a calm discussion, which you seem incapable of having.

(Sorry FC for this mess. Thank you for your coverage as always x)

• TeaAtTwo December 10, 2018 at 2:21 pm #

I thought someone might raise that but I wondered that that she was in India with a host Indians might mean it was fine.

• Viral December 10, 2018 at 3:21 pm #

I think her doing what she did in that Coldplay song was cultural appropriation – here it was culturally appropriate since she was performing in India and she chose to highlight Indian Designers and looked stunning doing so – just my two cents

• Kat December 12, 2018 at 7:24 am #

Hello other Kat!

I always thought I was the only ‘Kat’ here (I’ve been on the site since the beginning). I wonder if ppl here ever confuse me-Kat and you-Kat …?

Personally, I like the performance pieces but not the posed pic (not a fan of the mesh panel)