Menu

November 20, 2014 Runway To Red Carpet

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham - The Place2Be Wellbeing Schools Awards Reception

Before the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit the US next month, Catherine was flying solo on the red carpet yesterday (November 19) evening for the Place2be Wellbeing in Schools Awards Reception held at Kensington Palace in London, England.

The Duchess wore a Hobbs textured crepe overlay top in an embroidered polka-dot design with a subtle peplum waist detail accented with a belt and paired with a Jenny Packham Fall 2013 teal-blue silk knee-length skirt.

Styled with her favourite Jimmy Choo pumps and Cassandra Goad ‘Temple of Heaven’ earrings, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by this look.

While I would’ve loved the full runway look had this been a gala or a dinner party, her top is actually a really interesting choice, especially when paired with the belt.

Event and season appropriate without being boring? Colour me impressed.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Who Wore Diane von Furstenberg Better...Brie Larson or Jamie Chung?

Who Wore Diane von Furstenberg Better…Brie Larson or Jamie Chung?

Keira Knightley In Chanel - 'The Imitation Game' New York Luncheon

Keira Knightley In Chanel – ‘The Imitation Game’ New York Luncheon

27 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Jenny Packham – The Place2Be Wellbeing Schools Awards Reception

1. Peony November 21, 2014 at 6:12 am #

I’m not sure what’s happening here. The top cheapens the overall look. I’m not one of Kate’s detractors – I think she almost always looks chic and appropriate, which is the brief for her position – but this is a misfire for sure. I prefer the runway version.

2. Markness November 21, 2014 at 1:44 am #

I wish she wore the runway top and saved that black one for something else. Maybe with a pair of black trousers so we see a different silhouette from her.

3. amy November 20, 2014 at 8:37 pm #

the runway version is much better and the peplum isn’t working here. But, she looks okay. She tried.

4. Phoenix November 20, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

The runway version is really lovely. On Catherine not so much. Such a beautiful girl, but this makes her look very frumpy.

5. Yeliz November 20, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

Much prefer the runway version, but her version works for her. I think she looks nice.

6. sophie November 20, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

THIS is NOT boring, by her standards. That is what her style as come to. Fashion icon my ass.

Love the skirt on her, but the runway look is so much better.

7. elena November 20, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

She looks older, it is not working on her. A bad choice for me!

8. Penny November 20, 2014 at 3:45 pm #

No matter what your taste or style is, there is no arguing that NOTHING in this look goes together. It’s as if she closed her eyes and randomly selected a top and skirt that might work, but then blindly added accessories that are completely jarring with the clothes. The belt belongs nowhere near the top; and the earrings are completely jarring with the belt and outfit. I’m an accessories person and this look just KILLS ME. My opinion of her overall style aside, I think Kate has some of the worst taste in jewelry around, and when she gets into “costume” territory it goes downhill ever faster. Le ugh.

9. dee November 20, 2014 at 2:18 pm #

I prefer the runway top but hers isn’t bad just isn’t as dressy. I like that she added a belt and her earrings are cool. The shoes are her standard safe choice. I think she looks decent.

10. bisbee November 20, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

Once again, I’m not understanding the disdain for her clothing. Is it exciting? No – far from it. Then again, she has never been an exciting dresser, she gets cut down from all directions, so I don’t blame her for being even more conservative in her choices. In addition, she doesn’t do pregnancy all that well – I give her enormous kudos for doing as well as she is!

I also don’t get how the top “cheapens” the look. I don’t love it, but I’m pretty sure there is nothing “cheap” about it. The runway look is really lovely, but chances are that top wouldn’t work with her body right now.

11. Bailey November 20, 2014 at 1:02 pm #

I prefer the top from the runway, however Kate makes it work in this adorable polka dot peplum top. Its a very different, and welcome choice from the Duchess!

12. Pedro November 20, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

She looks really beautiful!

• JJ November 20, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

Agree. I’m not getting the hate for this look. She went outside her box for this one. I like the top on the runway version better, but she is pregnant and that probably wouldn’t work/fit.

13. gabis November 20, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

Why she choosen that ugly top instead of the gorgeous runway one I will never know. It’s really a bad look.

• Alina November 21, 2014 at 8:20 am #

I agree.

14. Giada November 20, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

Even the conservative Daily Mail readers, who are usually fawning over her supposed fashion icon status, are really disliking this look. It’s THAT bad. It’s a beautiful skirt, but the look is cheapened by adding this top.

15. Sanya November 20, 2014 at 11:31 am #

Oh dear… This is not only a boring, but also an ugly outfit. Nothing matches. The worst combination ever worn by Duchess.

• veronica November 20, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

I agree- Nothing matches- though each piece by itself is good. That peplum top calls for a pencil skirt or slim pants and not in that shade of blue and that belt looks totally random and daytime- shd have used her velvet ribbon belt maybe- this is probably one of her worst looks ever – usually I think she dresses boring but this is staright up BAD!!!

• pinksugar November 20, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

I have to agree as well. It looks thrown together and sadly, cheap.

16. Leeann November 20, 2014 at 11:26 am #

Does she have it written into her Duchess contract that she has to dress dull and ruin any outfit that might be appealing

17. Marcel November 20, 2014 at 11:06 am #

Boring and uninspired.

18. Christine November 20, 2014 at 10:56 am #

Don’t think the skirt works here. She tried though

19. Jz November 20, 2014 at 10:42 am #

Why oh why?! I think she totally destroyed the stunning runway look, turning something so beautiful into something incredibly cheap.

20. Iva November 20, 2014 at 10:32 am #

Just no.
    Why, why she doesn’t try to dress more her age (not forgetting her royal status)?

21. kane November 20, 2014 at 10:25 am #

Team Runway.

I wouldn’t have commented–the teal and black polka dot combo just isn’t my bag–but thanks for the runway picture, I adore the top they paired it with there and love the contrast that the white clutch provides.

• gabis November 20, 2014 at 12:08 pm #