Menu

19.05.18

Meghan Markle Weds Prince Harry In Givenchy

The moment we’ve been waiting for has finally arrived.

Meghan Markle – Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Sussex – wore Givenchy, designed by Clare Waight Keller, as she wed Prince Harry in Windsor today (May 19)

I was immediately swept away by the simplicity of it all. I’m sure many expected some Hollywood glitz, but it was a refined, elegant take for a modern bride.

Her veil was infinitely longer than her hemline, which many believe was a nod to Princess Diana’s epic train.

The dress epitomizes a timeless minimal elegance referencing the codes of the ironic House of Givenchy and showcasing the expert craftsmanship.

True to the heritage of the house, the pure lines of the dress are achieved using six meticulously placed seams. The focus of the dress is the graphic open bateau neckline that gracefully frames the shoulders and emphasizes the slender sculpted waist. The lines of the dress extend towards the back where the train flows in soft round folds cushioned by an underskirt in triple silk organza. The slim three quarter sleeves adds a note of refined modernity.

Her something borrowed was the Queen Mary’s filigree Tiara which accessorized her veil.

The veil is five meters long and made from silk title with a trim of hand-embroidered flowers in silk threads and organza.

Credit: Getty

Amal Clooney In Stella McCartney - Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Royal Wedding

Amal Clooney In Stella McCartney – Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Royal Wedding

Princess Beatrice In Roksanda & Princess Eugenie In Gainsbourg - Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Royal Wedding

Princess Beatrice In Roksanda & Princess Eugenie In Gainsbourg – Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Royal Wedding

79 Responses to Meghan Markle Weds Prince Harry In Givenchy

1. ayatlaw May 21, 2018 at 03:30 #

So, this is Meghan’s new life critique of her every move! She looks lovely to me. It is HER wedding day. You choose what works for you on your weeding day. If she likes simplicity so be it. I agree with some that the fit could be better, but I also think she may have shed some weight due to stress. And even if she didn’t who cares! She married the man of HER dreams and she did it HER way. Her wedding ceremony was one of the most beautiful and moving I have ever seen. I do believe half of the problem many have with Meghan is that she won Harry’s heart. I really think some of you are bitter Betty’s just for that alone. Harry never belonged to anyone until now; if you cannot see how much he truly loves her (and her him) than you are blind.

• Evelyn May 21, 2018 at 04:04 #

And here I was just thinking that people were commenting fashion on a fashion site…
      Obviously she can wear whatever she wants – and will look beautiful regardless – but I think readers have a right to share their fashion opinions on this very prominent event. It is not a critique of her personally.

• brat May 21, 2018 at 06:25 #

She came to the wrong site with this LOL! You sound very emotionally invested in our criticism of Meghan’s clothes. Which is ummm…a bit strange, since that’s all we do on this site.

And yes, my dear, if this must be explained to you. Every move of Meghan’s will be critiqued. By everyone. We’re just here to talk about the clothes, in case that’s escaped you. We keep it real around here, perhaps you’ve wandered to the wrong site? Meghan’s Mirror is for her devoted fangirls. We fangirl here sometimes but mostly over clothes and not the celebs wearing them. No one is immune to judgement here.

• ayatlaw May 23, 2018 at 17:34 #

I didn’t come to the wrong site, nor is this an emotional post.
          I stated my opinion.Is that not what we do here? Says you..
          I know which site I’m on in case that escaped you; which I find highly amusing if it has. You cannot claim to speak for everyone; only yourself.
          Please excuse yourself from MY comment with your hypocrisy as your comment to me has “nothing to do with fashion.”
          Your comment “in case it’s escaped you” is an unwarented opinion of my opinion. If you want to stick to fashion as you say then do as you preach.

• ayatlaw May 23, 2018 at 17:25 #

I am commenting on fashion and the underlined bias on many a post. Everyone may share their opinion; as I may share mine. Nonetheless my comment is for those who are not only commenting about fashion; perhaps you missed that?

2. Christine May 20, 2018 at 23:46 #

Simple at its finest. She looked beautiful

3. Andrea May 20, 2018 at 14:15 #

Boring! Yawn. She looks like she does any other day, same hair, same lack of makeup, no jewelry. C’mon! It’s your wedding day!

4. Julia May 20, 2018 at 09:16 #

She made a wonderful bride. Very pretty!

5. Jas May 20, 2018 at 02:39 #

Agree with what everyone has said about the awful fit. Such a shame. It would have been a perfect wedding look for Meghan if it fit properly.
    The veil is everything. Really elevates the simple dress. The thought and workmanship that went into it is incredible and definitely paid off.

6. Pheepheet May 20, 2018 at 01:58 #

The tiara and veil are glorious. The dress fit is not.
    But o well, she looks happy.

7. Eva May 19, 2018 at 23:46 #

Had it been in a lighter material, with a perfect close-to-the-body fit, I was fully prepared to jump on the “elegant simplicity” bandwagon.
    But as is, I can’t say this dress does much for me 🙁 It was slightly wrinkled and too heavy.

• Kat May 19, 2018 at 23:56 #

SO agree…I’m also in the camp of simple is better when it comes to wedding dresses, but the FIT was just awful. she looked so frumpy.

8. Rizz May 19, 2018 at 22:23 #

I have a question, would we call this a 60’s mod silouhette?

9. Lee Ann May 19, 2018 at 22:07 #

I thought it was perfect . This is her second wedding and at 36 anything fussier would have been naff
    I think given the stress of the last week she must have lost a lot of weight that could not have been corrected by the atelier in time
    The veil and the symbolism was wonderful

• Kat May 19, 2018 at 23:50 #

that dress looked two sizes too big…I don’t think she lost two sizes in a week.

• Trina May 20, 2018 at 01:41 #

and her arms were pin thin to begin with, there’s no way she lost that much weight in her arms for the dress to be that badly fitted.

• Caitlin May 21, 2018 at 00:50 #

ITA Lee Ann. I think it was the perfect choice to go super simple. There is SO much against her when it comes to royal tradition / public opinion, e.g. she’s (gasp!) American, (GASP!) DIVORCED, etc etc. By dressing modestly but elegantly, she’s protecting herself from the otherwise inevitable criticisms of being “too Hollywood” etc.

10. Fee May 19, 2018 at 21:44 #

So chic and modern. I was slightly heartbroken for her as the fit was a little off. Her veil was absolutely beautiful, I especially loved the delicate and ornate feel of it.
    I was hoping she would wear the Queen Mother’s wedding tiara but this one is perfect for this dress.

11. Moi May 19, 2018 at 21:10 #

“Meghan expressed the wish of having all 53 countries of the Commonwealth with her on her journey through the ceremony, so Clare designed a veil representing the distinctive flora of each Commonwealth country united in one spectacular floral composition.”
    10/10 just for this. So smart and so elegantly executed.

12. TinaL May 19, 2018 at 21:10 #

It wasn’t what I expected for a royal wedding dress at first, but it suited her well. Love the simplicity and elegance, the veil and the Tiara are truly stunning. But the fit on her upper body was bad, that’s a big NO, not from such a couture brand like Givenchy

• Thit May 19, 2018 at 23:36 #

13. EmmaWoodhouse May 19, 2018 at 20:17 #

This is all so romantic and beautiful, I am overcome. The simplicity of the dress as a backdrop to the dress is a very cohesive and understandable design choice. I love the bateau neckline and three-quarter sleeves. I do think that it is simpler, perhaps, than I would have wanted and also the fit could be slightly more precise throughout (not so much an issue of wrinkling as just the need for a slightly snugger fit) but the veil is the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. And GAHHHH they just look so joyful and in love! I’m swooning.

• Amanda F May 21, 2018 at 02:17 #

+1!!!!!

14. JHH May 19, 2018 at 19:07 #

I totally appreciate the simplicity of the design/style and her beauty look. I expected much more interns of fit, especially through the waist and chest. All in all, I consider this a missed opportunity for excellence. Veil is amazing.

• Elle May 19, 2018 at 19:33 #

I agree. The fit is very sub-par and not what would be expected from a couture house, let alone custom-made for royalty. This could have looked wonderful had the fit been right (and choice of fabric – how can a wedding dress crease like that from such a short car ride?!). I am also not a fan of the hairstyle.

• c May 19, 2018 at 19:52 #

+ 1

• Kimma May 19, 2018 at 22:14 #

• Laurie May 22, 2018 at 14:32 #

+3. A dress this simple has to be FLAWLESS. It isn’t. The fit in the bodice & upper sleeve is bad. There is no excuse for it at the couture level, even if she lost weight they should have adjusted it. Double bonded silk cady would be very heavy and thick, which I am sure is a factor in the fit. It also wrinkles badly, as we can all see. Such a shame. the simplicity of the dress is striking, but the execution fails it.

• Kat May 19, 2018 at 19:45 #

+ 1 JHH

• Bella May 20, 2018 at 04:48 #

A little disappoint by this look although I get Megan’s minimalist and simple style. However, she can be simple but still make a statement. This dress tells me she wants to look timeless and plays it safe but she has downplay the details. This reminds me of Princess Charlene of Monaco but with long sleeves. Without that cathedral veil she will look matronly and appear like she came out of a black and white formal instead of her wedding. The best thing is because it’s so simple I get to refocus on Harry and the other well dressed guests instead. Also it’s still the tiara that makes a princess.

15. Fiona-Brasil May 19, 2018 at 19:05 #

The tiara was the highlight of her look.Never saw anything more regal. That said, the dress was classy and beautiful, made me think of Carolyn Kennedy’s dress.

• Leandra May 19, 2018 at 20:52 #

For 200.000 pounds I think they overdid the simplicity if that even make any sense. Im astonished by the price. I was thinking something around 100.000

16. Ingri May 19, 2018 at 19:04 #

I’m not impressed. For example Mette-Marit’s dress was minimalism done right. This one is quite boring and the fit isn’t great. Something is missing.

• chyc May 21, 2018 at 03:04 #

+1 this is so disappointing.

17. quimby May 19, 2018 at 18:57 #

I absolutely loved this – the simplicity, the elegance, the meaning behind the veil, and the beautiful clean makeup look.

FC and team as always, thank you for the wonderful coverage! You all deserve some rest after a jam-packed couple of weeks.

18. Ash May 19, 2018 at 18:45 #

I was unimpressed. I love minimal style wedding gowns-Carolyn Kennedy’s wedding dress is my favourite-but there is minimal and there is bland and this was the latter. I personally blame the house of Givenchy. That fit is awful, you’d expect this from a David’s Bridal not a couture house. If the fit was tolerable, this gown could have been redeemed a bit.

Amongs the royals in recent times, i think Princess Charlene had one of the best minimal wedding gowns. Anyway the bride looked radiant and happy, so i could overlook some of the uninspired styling but the gown disappointed me.

• Eva May 19, 2018 at 23:18 #

+1 I agree, I expected more. She is always stunning and they indeed looked really happy, but the dress didn’t do much for me.

Even with the tiara, I think something lighter might have lifted up the heavy fabric of the dress.

19. Susie May 19, 2018 at 18:45 #

I love the clean lines of the dress and that bateau neckline, which draws all the focus to her beautiful face. If only the dress had fit better around the sleeves and chest, this would have been a 10/10.

She looks very lovely regardless, and congrats to the happy couple.

20. CreoleLady May 19, 2018 at 18:39 #

“I’m so reckless when I rock my Givenchy dress (stylin’)” — Beyonce, Formation

Yes, yes, yes. OK ladies, now let’s get in formation, bowing down to the Duchess of Sussex. This is a masterful modern moment on multiple levels. Love the dress. This is a woman grown, simple, elegant, sleek. She knows who she is and this dress reflects that. Leave the foofaraw elsewhere. I like her style.

21. AnderBoBo May 19, 2018 at 18:32 #

I absolutely loved it and so appreciated the restraint in design and styling, this is the definition of timeless. Just exquisite all around.

22. Athena May 19, 2018 at 18:28 #

At first I thought it was underwhelming, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. I loved the long veil with the dress–it and the tiara complete the look. I do think the fit of the bodice and sleeves looks a bit off in some photos (especially some side by side compared with Kate’s dress which fit impeccably), which I would never expect from Givenchy couture. Overall though, it’s very elegant and timeless, which is Meghan’s style.

23. Miss H May 19, 2018 at 18:26 #

I really liked the dress and it’s elegance and simplicity… but what really sold it to me was the smile and how happy and in love they both looked. It was just a lovely heartwarming scene to watch.

24. Caroline May 19, 2018 at 18:24 #

Very simple yet elegant. I loved the simplicity and refinement of the whole look. Loved her natural make up too. She looked stunning. I like this more than Kate’s McQueen. My only complaint is the fact that she didn’t wear a British designer. I was hoping it would be Ralph & Russo. Givenchy didn’t seem appropriate. Still a stunning modern look.

• Kate May 19, 2018 at 18:55 #

Clare Waight Keller, current head of design at Givenchy, is British.

• Laurie June 5, 2018 at 16:38 #

BTW Ralph and Russo are both Australian.

25. Jones 19 May 19, 2018 at 18:23 #

Not what I was expecting but beautiful and timeless none the less.

26. Isabela May 19, 2018 at 18:23 #

I hated it! I was so disappointed when i saw her. I love Meghan’s style and i was realy looking forward for her dress. But her dress was SO boring and heavy looking. Even her hair was badly made.

• brat May 19, 2018 at 18:33 #

Agreed. Even the fit wasn’t perfect, this is plain to the point of being generic. I can’t believe they paid half a million for this gown, they did not get their money’s worth. I’m still reeling over the fact that both Kate and Pippa had better wedding dresses. I fully expected her to be more modern AND more stylish. Meghan’s tiara was the best part about this look. Hair was whatever and looked like her usual messy bun. Makeup was natural and I applaud that but so barely there. I was expecting to gasp in awe when I saw her, instead I was like ummmmm.

27. AnnaP May 19, 2018 at 18:19 #

Your pictures are exquisite FC. This dress is totally Meghan: classic, elegant, chic. For me, this dress is the most beautiful royal dress I’ve ever seen – she looks absolutely radiant. The veil makes it – it’s so delicate and ethereal.

The overwhelming feeling of this wedding is the incredible love there is between them. You don’t really see this at royal weddings.

I am in awe and just want more and more of Meghan’s fashion, including her second dress she will be wearing today.

• AnnaP May 19, 2018 at 18:30 #

Oh and I must add, the tiara was so right for Meghan. And I loved the way the fabric fell – it looked so luxurious.

Splendid!

28. Leandra May 19, 2018 at 18:14 #

She looked very elegant but I missed some minimal white embroidery on the dress itself. The veil was divine.
    PS : I think you meant iconic , not ironic in your description.

29. Charlotte May 19, 2018 at 18:11 #

I find the dress pretty boring but I didn’t expect better.
    I don’t understand the poor fit, it’s a Couture dress by Givenchy, how is it possible ?

Still, she looks beautiful for sure.

30. brat May 19, 2018 at 18:11 #

Catherine I know what you live for and love. I know you love Meghan. I believe you were in your heart of hearts disappointed with this offering. Miranda Kerr’s wedding gown is a great example of simple elegance that can still slay. I like nothing about the gown or the styling and hoping she makes a big splash at the reception to make up for this.

• Kat May 19, 2018 at 23:55 #

+++++1 I think if anyone else worn it, she would have spoken out about the fit.

• brat May 20, 2018 at 01:46 #

Definitely, Kat, Catherine is militant and unforgiving about details. The fit and the fabric made it frumpy. She loves Meghan. With so many bad reviews for this dress, check any IG fashion page, she didn’t have the heart to join in the criticism.

• Maz May 20, 2018 at 12:05 #

I think these comments about Catherine loving Meghan are grossly unfair. She may well do but it’s not bias in the case of the writing here. Catherine is always respectful of people’s wedding gowns and I think it’s because it’s the one day when everyone should above critique. It’s your day to feel beautiful whatever happens! Xx

• Eni May 20, 2018 at 12:45 #

• brat May 20, 2018 at 15:04 #

That’s not it, and she has said that she loves Meghan. I remember her minor critique of Kate Middleton’s wedding dress hemline length. Which in hindsight is a masterful study in tailoring next to Meghan’s. So she’s not opposed to an honest critique, wedding day be Damned. I saw questions on her IG page, people surprised at her praise for this dress.

• Ana K May 21, 2018 at 06:33 #

Here is the post about Kate Middleton’s wedding gown: http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2011/04/29/catherine-middleton-in-sarah-burton-for-alexander-mcqueen-2011-royal-wedding/

NO mention of the hemline. You’re lying to us, and making up a narrative that suits your story.

It’s one thing to critique a dress, and a completely different thing to level a baseless accusation. What sort of validation did it give you? Now turn off you computer and think about it for a while.

• brat May 21, 2018 at 07:50 #

Lies? Such strong language. someone else might have used the word misinformed. I’m pretty sure I remember Catherine saying the gown was a tad too short. I don’t see it in the post but I stand by my point about no one here being immune to critique, bride or not. There was a post on this website which was an open letter to newly married Kate Middleton very harshly critiquing her makeup. “You use too much slap” I believe are the exact words. I don’t think Catherine wrote it though, but one of her assistants, I believe. Go research that. I’ll wait. I’m being facetious, I could care less if you do or don’t. Have a pleasant evening.

• brat May 21, 2018 at 07:59 #

Aaaand I’ve already found it. The critique is harsh but deserved and definitely a lot stronger and far more personal than a comment about someone’s hemline.
                “You’re lying!!”
                What’re we in, grade school? Baseless accusation indeed lol. Have a seat.

• Catherine Kallon May 21, 2018 at 08:14 #

Dear Brat, thanks for your comments, but can you refrain from getting personal. You seem to be attacking other people just for having an opinion different from yours.

• brat May 21, 2018 at 15:53 #

I love your website and your commentary on fashion, Catherine. I have followed you for years and will continue to do so. But that admonition would really have been better served at someone like “ayatlaw” who accused half of your readers of being jealous of Meghan finding true love, because we didn’t like her dress. It was silly, childish and emotional. You have another poster who said I hate Meghan because I’ve been critical of her fashion choices.

Yes, I do have a rebuttal for people like that. We debate fashion every day on this page. I’m not going to bite my tongue because there are a handful of Meghan fans who are too thin-skinned and emotional to see any criticism of the woman’s wardrobe.
                As your are our ultimate trusted critic, I would think you would agree.

• Kat May 20, 2018 at 00:07 #

YESSS Miranda’s gown was STUNNING. This is what I wanted Meghan’s gown to look like (without Miranda’s embellishment) but thanks to the fit, Meghan’s just ended up looking like a nun’s gown.

• Bec May 20, 2018 at 01:44 #

Agreed. I’m very surprised how complimentary Catherine has been about this look – the main reason I love this site is her unbiased, honest critique.

There is a lot to love with this look, but also a lot of very obvious missteps and its disappointing that Catherine didn’t mention these at all.

31. Vizual Ninja May 19, 2018 at 18:11 #

My taste when it comes to wedding dresses is less is more. This, while simple, was very beautiful and the off the shoulder added a modern touch. The filIgree tiara was such a nice choice she looked so lovely in the close ups. I’m certainly not disappointed. Congratulations to the happy couple!!

• NZ May 19, 2018 at 19:34 #

Couldn’t agree more.

32. Alina May 19, 2018 at 18:11 #

Personally, I love this. All of it. The dress itself, the tiara, the veil, the bouquet, her hair and makeup. They were all so simple, yet so beautiful. There’s beauty and class in simplicity and Meghan showed just that. She was poised, elegant and she glowed like no other.

Sure, there will be many saying the dress was too simple. I think it was obvious from all the details that they wanted a wedding as simple and elegant as possible. So kudos to Meghan for choosing a simple dress, but still looking amazingly royal in it.

33. Carol May 19, 2018 at 18:11 #

It doesn’t meet expectation but I’m not angry with it
    Wish the couple a happy marriage

34. justme May 19, 2018 at 18:10 #

I was expecting sobriety and I got it. It’s true to her style and she looked amazing.

35. Cirol May 19, 2018 at 18:09 #

It doesn’t meet expectation but I’m not agree with it

36. Maria F. May 19, 2018 at 18:08 #

I like the cut, but the fit was a bit off. Also, once you took away the glorious veil and tiara, it was somewhat plain. I wish the train or the bottom of the dress would have been a bit embroidered. I think it would not have taken away from the simplicity.

37. Leni May 19, 2018 at 18:06 #

I liked the dress. I like that it was simple and let her beauty shine and the veil and the tiara were beyond beautiful. If i had to nitpick I’d say that the fit of the dress wasn’t perfect. For a bespoke Givenchy gown I guess I expected even more perfection when it comes to the fit of the dress.

ps: is givenchy really an ironic fashion house? always thought of them as iconic 😉

• Iva May 19, 2018 at 18:41 #

The fit was my only issue here as I appreciate simplicity of the dress.

38. ad May 19, 2018 at 18:03 #

Thought this was very underwhelming, simple but with no panache or significant craftmanship. I was watching with my family as she got out of the car waiting for something…anything but unfortunately was disappointed. The veil and tiara were lovely but otherwise it really didn’t look like a dress worth the thousands of tax payers money. Hair seemed messy during the ceremony as well.

• Ann May 19, 2018 at 18:40 #

ITA

• The original AB May 20, 2018 at 17:01 #

39. MMC May 19, 2018 at 18:03 #

I love it, it’s simple and elegant. Fits her style perfectly.

40. Mel May 19, 2018 at 18:01 #

I am in love. Such a stunning gown and that veil is to die for. I was honestly prepared to be let down but this surpasses my expectations.