Menu

08.01.18

2018 Golden Globe Awards Red Carpet Roundup

Black was of course the shade of the night at the 2018 Golden Globe Awards on Sunday (January 7) with celebrities putting their own interpretations on the dress code.

Kelly Clarkson: The singer’s custom Christian Siriano gown will likely draw comparisons to Mary J. Blige’s Alberta Ferretti look because of the contrasting one sleeve. The dramatically full skirt on Kelly’s matched the joy of the shimmering gold fabric. The pockets were a delightful addition.

Allison Janney: The Best Supporting Actress winner’s Mario Dice dress was captivating with the sleek fluidity of the skirt contrasting the beautiful detailing of the bodice. This reinvigorated cut-outs.

Naomi Campbell: The supermodel showed a softer side in a Jean Paul Gaultier gown. The style had a dark romance with the diagonal pleating giving way to a flowing train.

Eva Longoria: The expectant actress showed off her growing bump in a custom Genny black tuxedo gown. There is something throwing me off. I suspect it’s the base fabric which seems to weigh down the ensemble because of the matte finish. Had this been in a lightweight velvet or a satin, it would have popped more.

Geena Davis: The actress shimmered in a Monique Lhuillier gown. The lingerie detailing of the top was balanced by flapper fringing in the skirt for a striking effect. The mix of black fabrics was sublime.

Hong Chau: Rich velvets were a popular look of the night. The ‘Downsizing’ star participated in the trend with her Stella McCartney dress. The lace details added romance as did her delicate accessories.

Samira Wiley: The ‘Orange is the New Black’ actress added a pop of colour to her Romona Keveža gown with the mustard embellishment on the chest. It was one of the most memorable details, but I don’t know if it’s for the right reasons. If the placement was tweaked to be less heavy, I would be able to get behind it more.

Laurie Metcalf: The ‘Lady Bird’ actress balanced out sleek trousers with a dramatic coat. She added a subtle wash of colour to her Sachin and Babi outfit with her burgundy sandals and nail polish.

Chrissy Metz: The Best Supporting Actress nominee was also in Sachin and Babi. The rich materials coupled with the draped neckline had a soft elegance. It’s a shame about the fabric on the skirt as it distracts from the look’s fluidity.

Salma Hayek: The Mexican actress walked arm-in-arm with Ashley Judd. Her Balenciaga dress was a masterful example of tailoring with it fitting like a glove. The mirrored clutch and jewels brought out the slight sheen in the fabric. Sophia Webster shoes completed her look.

Ashley Judd: There was a moody romance about this Elie Saab Fall 2017 gown. It marked a rare occasion where the sheer skirt benefited the design as it allowed the dripping pattern to stand out.

Susan Kelechi Watson: The ‘This Is Us’ actress ditched the gown in favor of a Monsoori jumpsuit. The way it picked up the light had a night sky quality. The banding helped accentuate her shape while drawing the eye upwards.

Sharon Stone: The actress walked the red carpet with her son Roan Bronstein. The two coordinated in black with he topping his suit with a longline velvet jacket and she in a Vitor Zerbinato Spring 2018 gown. The cut-outs had her signature sexiness but they were presented in a new, graphic way.

Susan Sarandon: Prior to joining Geena Davis on stage, the Best Actress in a Mini-Series or TV Movie nominee hit the red carpet in a Saint Laurent suit. She wears it effortlessly, but I would have liked to see her push the envelope more.

Credit: Getty

Oprah Winfrey In Atelier Versace - 2018 Golden Globe Awards

Oprah Winfrey In Atelier Versace – 2018 Golden Globe Awards

2018 Golden Globe Awards Parties

2018 Golden Globe Awards Parties

24 Responses to 2018 Golden Globe Awards Red Carpet Roundup

1. easyBlake January 9, 2018 at 05:00 #

I rather like Janney’s dress, but wish the white parts were a different color – gold or red, perhaps. I like the robot sleeve on Clarkson’s dress and Kelechi-Watson rounds out my top three here. Metz’s dress looks like the designer hardly tried, just tossed a sequin scarf around the shoulders. Hayek is wearing a liturgical dance dress.

2. kane January 8, 2018 at 23:18 #

Ah, shame, Samira only made it into the collected post, oh well.

• kane January 8, 2018 at 23:20 #

Also, Salma’s silhouette is insane–fabulous but virtually unreal, wow!

3. EmmaWoodhouse January 8, 2018 at 21:23 #

Kelly was so cute on the red carpet last night. The dress is a little Cyber-woman but I like the drama.
    Fuggirls described Allison’s look as an “evil butterfly” and I think that’s spot-on. I enjoy it.
    I love Chrissy Metz but a better fabrication would have helped her dress–I think it needed a better quality velvet. It should go without saying but criticism of people’s weight/health is not what fashion commentary should be about (not re: the article but comments).
    Sharon’s is BEYOND tacky.
    My favorites are probably Salma and Naomi.

4. james January 8, 2018 at 20:05 #

Naomi looks amazing! I also love Geena’s dress.

5. Lola January 8, 2018 at 18:59 #

Alison and Susan were my favorites from this lineup!

6. Mimi January 8, 2018 at 18:01 #

Sharon Stone was my worst dressed of the night

7. Maria F. January 8, 2018 at 17:52 #

I agree with everybody about Susan.

Am a bit disappointed by Allison, she is normally one of my favourite.

And Sharon Stone’s dress is not a favourite of mine, but she sure looks good for her age.

8. Kimma January 8, 2018 at 17:46 #

Alison Janney was one of my favourites. Naomi and Geena also look great.

9. Alina January 8, 2018 at 17:22 #

Susan Kelechi Watson – one of my favourite looks of the night.

10. Leandra January 8, 2018 at 16:41 #

Suzan Kalechi absolutely stunning outing. Naomi deserved a better picture to be shown here because she looked sensational, a real red carpet queen.

11. meme January 8, 2018 at 16:17 #

Naomi Campbell is the best here and Chrissy Metz the worst. I won’t celebrate morbid obesity.

• Amanda F January 8, 2018 at 18:47 #

Right? because what could be worse than being morbidly obese….other than, you know, being a judgmental nasty bully?

• Meme January 8, 2018 at 19:57 #

There is no need to,personally attack me. Morbid obesity is a serious and often deadly issue. I am neither nasty or a bully and you should refrain from personal attacks. It’s unnecessary and aren’t we all judging here?

• kane January 8, 2018 at 23:17 #

Clothes… clothes… repeat after me, clothes…

• meme January 9, 2018 at 00:05 #

Don’t be condescending. I think she looks terrible in her dress. It’s my opinion and there is no need to criticize me for it. I never criticize anyone’s comments. I never bully or condescend to anyone here. Your opinion is your opinion. I only comment on the clothes and who is wearing them. You need to grow up

• moonbeam January 9, 2018 at 00:15 #

You are overly sensitive with a nasty attitude.

• Ava January 9, 2018 at 19:13 #

If only there was a way to block these faceless internet bullies! Meme, we won’t tolerate bullying in the garb of a fashion critique… not on a night like this, which stood for so much more than fashion and the films.

• kane January 9, 2018 at 20:46 #

Errr, no. Nowhere in “I won’t celebrate morbid obesity.” are you commenting on the outfit.

• moonbeam January 9, 2018 at 23:35 #

Exactly.

12. Charlotte January 8, 2018 at 15:52 #

Susan Kelechi Watson looks gorgeous ! The best of the night for me.
    Allison Janney dress is hideous, I hate the bodice, one of the worst of the night.

• meme January 8, 2018 at 16:18 #

Her dress looks diseased.

• Ava January 9, 2018 at 19:16 #

Boohoo.
        Couldn’t resist it!

13. Chris January 8, 2018 at 15:45 #

Hong Chau might be my favorite of the bunch.