Menu

02.06.17 Best Of

2017 Cannes Film Festival Fashion Critics’ Roundup

Readers Choice: 2017 Cannes Film Festival Best Red Carpet Looks

Readers Choice: 2017 Cannes Film Festival Best Red Carpet Looks

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

Who Was Your Best Dressed This Week?

20 Responses to 2017 Cannes Film Festival Fashion Critics’ Roundup

1. Alex June 5, 2017 at 12:48 #

Catherine, I ❤️ You! Absolutely nailed it! Kudos!

2. Schoolbea June 4, 2017 at 23:09 #

I agree with all of these!! With a tie at Worst Dressed between Emily and Rihanna’s light blue concoction.

Also, Armani took some days to appear, but oh man when it did, what a run of amazing looks.

Thank you so much for the coverage and for these fantastic roundup posts! I enjoy them so much, including the comments! It’s a great way to say goodbye to the most significant dates in the red carpet year.

3. Venus June 4, 2017 at 16:53 #

Cant stop laughing at ground hog day picture. Literally did a double take when i saw the outfits side by side. ROFL !

4. Mona June 3, 2017 at 13:37 #

I completely agree with Rihanna’s award. #HoHum

5. EmmaWoodhouse June 3, 2017 at 12:18 #

This is so fun! I agree with most and appreciate all. Elle was my Cannes Princess too 🙂

6. charlotte June 3, 2017 at 09:25 #

I have to admit I was left underwhelmed this year, Cannes is just not the same anymore.
    I had high expectations from Sonam Kapoor and especially Fan Bingbing but they both failed to deliver the WOW factor.
    “The groundhog day award”was so golden I wish there is a like button so I can push it.
    Thanks again for the amazing coverage FC

7. David Lagachu June 3, 2017 at 03:31 #

Aishwarya deserve to win..she was effortlessly stunning.

8. Shanaya June 3, 2017 at 02:12 #

Spot on! Always look forward to your coverage. Ashwarya was the queen. Her two looks were spectacular! Sonam was very disappointing, almost identical dresses. Chompoo was another favourite and fan bing a disappointment other then the last day in Versace. Jessica chastain for me also in need of a new stylist like Eva longoria.

9. JHH June 2, 2017 at 23:20 #

Thank you for the fantastic coverage. I agree with most of these although I’d probably give worst dressed to Great Gerwig in Rodarte.

10. CreoleLady June 2, 2017 at 22:42 #

Thank you, FC, for your tireless coverage which, as far as I am concerned, makes you as much Cannes royalty as any on this list. So glad you are back!

And co-signing especially your “Most Underrated” award. Juliette Binoche was a revelation.

11. fromchi-town June 2, 2017 at 21:29 #

I agree with most of your assessment, FC! Aishwarya Rai single handedly provided the gasp worthy moment at Cannes that we all wait for!

As usual FC, wonderful coverage for Cannes and wonderful critique.

12. Nicola June 2, 2017 at 20:55 #

Will forever be disappointed at how much vitriol Kirsten’s red carpet look got. I’m a fan.

• Huda June 3, 2017 at 00:17 #

I know me too .. it definitely doesn’t work on everyone but it suits her style and she’s not one to do much for Cannes anyway.

13. Nat39 June 2, 2017 at 20:38 #

Yay, Ditto on Queen and Princess of Cannes:) Many beautiful looks, but nobody really shut down the red carpet like Aishwarya, all she needed was one look, her also impressive red Ralph and Russo was more of a confirmation. Enough has been said about Elle, who’s done very delightfully, a flawless run.

My personal “Most disappointing” was actually Sonam, considering my extra high expectations for her. She was my indisputable Queen of Cannes last year with her BDOTY worthy after BDOTY worthy moment in Ralph and Russo Couture. This year she didn’t have a spark and was rather bland, like she indeed wasn’t quite prepared or put enough thought into it. (Rihanna was doing whatever she was doing, I didn’t expect anything from her).

For Eva – “Change the stylist and the mirror for the next year” award.

Men didn’t give us much to judge, not even some inspiring stylish photocall look, where one could experiment a bit more.

14. Kathy June 2, 2017 at 20:27 #

Oof. I hadn’t even seen Eva Longoria’s second look. No one person has worn that much illusion mesh since the figure skating event at the Winter Olympics.

Great picks all around! The “Outstanding Service to the Color Black” and “Groundhog Day” awards were particularly inspired 🙂

• charlotte June 3, 2017 at 01:27 #

and when you look at Eva’s earrings in close-up,it seems someone is pouring water out of her ear.

• Kathy June 3, 2017 at 06:47 #

LOL you’re so right!

15. Shifa June 2, 2017 at 20:07 #

I agree with all of these. I’m surprised Fan Bingbong and Jessica Chastain didn’t make appearances more frequently. FC if you were to award them for their Cannes Style what would you have titled those? I also think Armani Prive was the most consistent couturier

• Arina June 2, 2017 at 21:24 #

Armani was my favourite couturier as well. Jessica made plenty of appearances and was overall best dressed in her Armani imo. I was expecting more of Fan Bingbing, though, too.

• charlotte June 3, 2017 at 09:07 #

Fan Bingbong???Girl you killed me,I laughed 5 minutes straight.