Menu

Rihanna In Comme des Garçons – 2017 Met Gala

Rihanna shut down the red carpet the minute she stepped onsite at the 2017 Met Gala on Monday (May 1) in New York City.

This is the moment I’ve been waiting for on what is fashion’s biggest night—the brilliant adaptation of the evening’s avant-garde theme in the most wacky and wonderful of ways.

Pretty in pink took on all new meaning with the sweet, sculptural extravagance of a Comme des Garçons Fall 2016 floral-strewn jacquard design, as Ri Ri paid homage to honoured designer Rei Kawakubo.

Adding her own unique personality, the boundaries-pushing songstress took it to the next level with her strappy magenta heels, vibrant Harajuku makeup, and Chopard jewels.

The dress was something of an unorthodox secret garden if there ever was one. Were you as enchanted as I was by its eccentric yet fancified whimsy?

Credit: Vogue.com & Getty

Claire Foy In Erdem - 2017 Met Gala

Claire Foy In Erdem – 2017 Met Gala

Ruby Rose In Burberry - 2017 Met Gala

Ruby Rose In Burberry – 2017 Met Gala

27 Responses to Rihanna In Comme des Garçons – 2017 Met Gala

1. Francois May 3, 2017 at 20:30 #

I always remember her looks from all of the Met Galas and this will be no exception. I LOVE it!! It’s bold, it’s fun, it’s not too much & above all it’s theme appropriate. It’s the first year I am completely disappointed as the people who dressed accordingly were rare exceptions… I mean it’s even more important when the exhibition is honouring one particular designer or am I mistaking? I’m very frustrated but THANK YOU Riri

2. Juan May 2, 2017 at 23:15 #

This is going to my BDOTY list. So unique.

3. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang May 2, 2017 at 19:40 #

A true masterpiece and a work of art, trust Rihanna to bring the wackiest avant-garde designs to the MET Gala and rock the hell out of it!! No wonder she’s my ultimate fashion ROCK STAR, SLAY Ri-ri SLAY!! Stay chill my rebel heart, PERFECTION!!

4. Leandra May 2, 2017 at 19:15 #

Magnifique! She looks fantastic. I am not even a fan of her style but she absolutely nailed it. Another iconic moment for the annals of Met Gala.

5. Eliza May 2, 2017 at 17:30 #

I absolutely love this. Love love love. She is on theme in the best way and styled to perfection–the makeup is STUNNING and the shoes compliment the look without overpowering it. One of the best dressed if not the best dressed for sure!!

• Eliza May 2, 2017 at 17:32 #

I meant “complement”! Also, i love that she is wearing this look and really owning it, not the other way round as could so easily happen with this look. She really 100% nailed it.

6. Kelly May 2, 2017 at 16:51 #

Rihanna isn’t always everyone’s taste in my estimation she is one of the rare stars who wears clothes and doesn’t let them wear her. Her poise and charisma elevate everything she puts on. She is truly a fashion ICON.

7. Amy May 2, 2017 at 15:33 #

Not buying this one. Sorry. I like the garment but the overdone glam and the tacky laceups take it to costume territory. Too much
    I like the spirit but not the look

8. from-chitown May 2, 2017 at 15:13 #

She is the Queen of the Met Gala. She knows how to make an impression and come next year, this is the look everyone will remember. I wish she wore different shoes though because the ones she has on look tacky.

9. Gemma Rockets May 2, 2017 at 13:50 #

Superb, though I wish for (somewhat Rihanna’s signature) thigh high red boots over those late 90s strappy shoes!

10. charlotte May 2, 2017 at 13:44 #

photographic memory stood longer than anything and Rihanna knows it better than anyone,she always choose the most bold and out-there outfit,and totally served the dress to its glory.
    I’ve been watching the met gala for years,and I could still remember every one of Riril’s major fashion impact, i.e the 2015 Gold yellow Guopei Couture dress

11. Caroline May 2, 2017 at 12:55 #

Well, no doubts here, best dressed of the event.

12. Chris May 2, 2017 at 11:58 #

I love this a lot! Easily one of the best of the event, she pulled it so well!

13. Christine May 2, 2017 at 11:24 #

She wins again!!! Love this!!!! Finally someone GET what the MET GALA is all about

14. CreoleLady May 2, 2017 at 09:29 #

This type of CDG get-up is silly imo but at least it is colorful. Detest the lace-ups and bracelet. Kudos for going there but I would fine if she never went back.

15. Nat39 May 2, 2017 at 06:02 #

Very difficult (if at all possible) piece to pull off, and I think unfortunately she doesn’t. The lace-up sandals look tackifying and the makeup is too harsh/garish. She just looks like a weird Vegas dancer.

• Alina May 2, 2017 at 06:13 #

I agree about the styling. While I do believe that daring was the way to go, this is not working.

16. Amanda May 2, 2017 at 05:06 #

Mic drop.

17. Catherine Descoteaux May 2, 2017 at 04:59 #

Nobody does the Met like Rihanna and everytime she takes an already spectacular look and elevates with impeccable styling, without the beauty and shoes it wouldn’t have had the same effect, only Rihanna could pull this off and she does it beautifully!! Rihanna will always be the most iconic Met attendee. Love this, this look is the reason I excitedly and eagerly anticipate the Met every year.

• Giada May 2, 2017 at 11:23 #

So much this! +1

18. elle May 2, 2017 at 04:50 #

This makes the whole night. Stellar.
    Her and Cara really gave me the fashion tingles tonight.

19. Papiki May 2, 2017 at 04:37 #

I stan Rihanna!

20. Mimi May 2, 2017 at 04:34 #

This is going to be iconic.

21. Vallath May 2, 2017 at 04:16 #

I like this. Glad she represented when so few did.

22. Tenacious May 2, 2017 at 04:14 #

This is the only look that made my jaw drop all night. Her hair and makeup are perfectly suited for this look and the ensemble is literally a work of art. Leave it to Riri!

23. Taylor May 2, 2017 at 04:10 #

this is E V E R Y T H I N G

24. JHH May 2, 2017 at 04:07 #

I love this for this event. Leave it to Rihanna to nail it. Now for a practical question. Can she sit in it?