Lena Dunham In Giambattista Valli Couture – 2014 Emmy Awards

66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards - Arrivals

Lena Dunham made a grand entrance at the 2014 Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles, California on Monday (August 25).

Forgive my sensory overload, but where to even begin?

The ‘Girls’ star gave a whole new meaning to the word ‘bold’ in her daring Giambattista Valli Fall 2014 Couture finale number that featured a baby-pink blouse with a Peter Pan collar paired with a ballgown skirt… and what a skirt it was.

The voluminous piece was an extravaganza of layered tulle tiers, creating a pink-to-red ombre effect that ran reverse of the runway colours, making it perhaps even more reminiscent of fluffy cotton-candy.

Fred Leighton jewels may have been lost in the sea of froth and frou-frou, but Lena’s new beauty look carved out its own statement. Her white-platinum bob is an edgy new direction for her, but she could have done with less makeup as her dark kohl-outlined eye and red lip were too heavy here.

This is an Emmys ensemble that will be remembered for years to come—for better or worse. What do you make of it?

VAL_0943.450x675

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Lizzy Caplan In Donna Karan Atelier - 2014 Emmy Awards

Lizzy Caplan In Donna Karan Atelier – 2014 Emmy Awards

Alexandra Daddario In Reem Acra - 2014 Emmy Awards

Alexandra Daddario In Reem Acra – 2014 Emmy Awards

73 Responses to Lena Dunham In Giambattista Valli Couture – 2014 Emmy Awards

1. Christine August 26, 2014 at 02:04 #

A COMICAL DISASTER. IN TEARS. THIS IS NOT REAL.

WTF!!!!!

• Anj August 26, 2014 at 03:17 #

Totally agree! My first reaction was oh g-d no! Judging by Lena’s facial expression, she agrees too.

• Regina August 26, 2014 at 08:55 #

Hahaha, I agree with the sentiment, Christine. Beautifully expressed too. she looks like a clown. I think she’s trying to tell us that she’s way too cool to take the Emmys seriously. She could have achieved this by not attending at all!

2. Ari August 26, 2014 at 02:05 #

I loved it!

• Meme August 26, 2014 at 02:18 #

You crazy

3. Alex August 26, 2014 at 02:05 #

Here’s what I said on Twitter: I swear Lena Dunham’s #Emmys2014 dress is a life size replica of a toilet roll holder my grandparents used to have.

4. dea August 26, 2014 at 02:06 #

I can’t even… Reminds me of Bjork’s swan dress. Except this time it sickly pink and worn by someone with a monk’s haircut. I think I puked a little.

5. Christine August 26, 2014 at 02:07 #

My number one pick for WDOTY so far. The struggle is real.

6. Kate August 26, 2014 at 02:07 #

I definitely prefer the runway version over Lena’s. I really dislike her makeup here…. the hair I could maybe get on board with.

7. julyol1972 August 26, 2014 at 02:16 #

Good lord, she looks like an insane muppet on a bender!

Who the hell was the intern that thought putting Lena and her blond Beatles haircut, in yards of cotton candy pink tulle was a good idea? He or she needs to be fired.

I CANT!!!!!!!!!

8. Meme August 26, 2014 at 02:18 #

She looks ridiculous, as she should because she is a no talent poser.

9. Olivia August 26, 2014 at 02:22 #

If the top was better fitted this wouldn’t have been nearly as bad.

• SilentVisitor August 26, 2014 at 14:24 #

I agree that the top is one of the main problem. The skirt is too high on her waist

• Camille August 26, 2014 at 14:52 #

That and her ridiculously bad posture, hunching over never does any gown a favor. And the icing on this froo froo cake is the post lobotomy expression on her face.

• amy August 26, 2014 at 19:25 #

agree. I like the fact that she wears what she wants but this is a mess. the wrinkled shirt is killing me. That massive skirt needed a good top

10. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) August 26, 2014 at 02:22 #

My corneas hurt. I never think it could get worse for Lena, but this is just unsightly. I’m bored to death with the platinum trend and it is doing Lena no favors; or the haircut and makeup. Hopeless fail.

11. Nat39 August 26, 2014 at 02:23 #

A bold gown like this requires an exceptional poise and presence to pull it off. Lena should’ve left it alone, she makes it look comical.

12. Marybeth August 26, 2014 at 02:25 #

Perhaps if she would stop slouching and stand up straight, perhaps if she would smile, perhaps then it wouldn’t be quite so terrifying.

13. Kristin August 26, 2014 at 02:28 #

I think this is so much fun, but at the same time I find this outfit ridiculous. I just can’t help but to love her! Wish she could at least put her hands on her hips or something. She’s in serious need of a pose coach.

14. CTgirl August 26, 2014 at 02:33 #

She always looks like a lumpy sack of potatoes. Her pose makes her look totally devoid of any sense or reason. A total disaster.

• mistifa August 28, 2014 at 06:31 #

ITA.

15. Cate August 26, 2014 at 02:39 #

My eyes are bleeding! What’s this disgrace? She couldn’t even iron her shirt?!?!

16. Nat August 26, 2014 at 02:40 #

I am obsessed with this Giambattista Collection and loved this dress when I saw on the catwalk. With that being said she completely ruined this dress to me. Everything is wrong. Nothing would save this look.

• Jessica August 26, 2014 at 02:52 #

I agree with you completely. I think that this could have been translated way better on the red carpet. I loved the collection on the runway but Lena doesn’t do it justice. Firstly, that hair. Secondly, her posture, she should be taking notes from her colleague Allison Williams. I wish she would have put more effort into the look, she could have done a better job with it.

• Larissa August 26, 2014 at 08:15 #

Same here. This collection was simply amazing and I couldn’t wait to see it on the red carpet. I was definitely not expecting such a beautiful dress to be ruined so badly, it’s such a waste.

17. dea August 26, 2014 at 02:55 #

Out of all the gowns, hits and misses tonight, this one for sure made me react the most. If that was her goal- she succeeded.
    I simply have to comment again.
    She looks high and like she really doesn’t want to be there. Or anywhere near people.
    First of all, that girl should never wear pink. It looks terrible on her.
    Had she worn a more fitted and simple top with a skirt of a cobalt blue to black ombre (or some other rich jewel hue) and a completely different haircut with slightly darker hair color, this might have been saved. Ofc her posture needs to be different too, as well as that DIY-gone-wrong makeup.
    I remember her in both Zac Posen gowns (while not the best- still better than this) and that pretty black lace Prada gown… she can look normal and beautiful and not like a spoiled brat.

18. Dulcima August 26, 2014 at 02:56 #

Awful, awful, awful.

19. easyBlake August 26, 2014 at 03:15 #

wow. just wow. This is . . . sooo far from good. Everything already mentioned might’ve helped, because this is just so so so bad.

20. Dil August 26, 2014 at 03:16 #

On somebody else it might have worked..on her..a big …BIG ..no!

21. Pedro August 26, 2014 at 03:16 #

Fantastic outfit wasted on Lena.

That’s sad

22. Rachel W. August 26, 2014 at 03:24 #

Unflattering photo of her. She looks pretty great here:

• liz August 26, 2014 at 12:31 #

Nope. Still horrid.

23. Regina August 26, 2014 at 03:36 #

I prefer Kim Kardashian over her. Seriously, she is the total mess.

24. Sara August 26, 2014 at 03:45 #

I actually love the skirt.. it could’ve been amazing. The top looks like she pulled it out the back of her wardrobe when she couldn’t find anything else to wear and her posture is just a mess :( what a waste

25. sophie August 26, 2014 at 03:46 #

I like the skirt on Lena but not the top or the heavy makeup. I prefer Lena in her natural brown hair and with natural, rose makeup.

26. Kimma August 26, 2014 at 03:48 #

Designers must cringe when they hear she is wearing one of their creations. It’s like she deliberately ruins any and all ensembles with the slouch and the slacker expression. With a smoother fit on top and better posture she could totally of pulled this off. I feel she is uncomfortable with herself and would rather be the joke than risk actually trying and getting negative feedback.

27. valissa August 26, 2014 at 04:25 #

I think people need to stop with the personal insults about Lena. She’s a wonderfully talented and grounded individual who is confident about the way she looks. She’s a breath of fresh air amongst the thin and vain Hollywood crowd.
    With that said (and focusing on the fashion ONLY) I rhink her stylist and Giambattista Valli failed her here. GV should have sent her something more suited to her personality and her stylist should have ensured the fit was right! It’s gorgeous on the runway and sadly didn’t translate well on the red carpet.

• the ogre August 26, 2014 at 05:11 #

I totally agree with you on this one. There’s too much negativity here. Someone has also compared her to Kim Kardashian. I get it was fashion-wise but even then she can’t be talked about in the same sentence as Kim Kardashian. It’s absolutely ridiculous. I am just sorry she wore this to the Emmys. And that’s about it.

• liz August 26, 2014 at 12:33 #

“She’s a wonderfully talented and grounded individual who is confident about the way she looks. She’s a breath of fresh air amongst the thin and vain Hollywood crowd.”

Sorry, I think you’re mistaking her with Mindy Kaling, who’s gorgeous and has a bold fashion taste and the confidence to pull it off.

• SilentVisitor August 26, 2014 at 14:28 #

You should take your own advice which I agree with by the way. Although I have read only one personal attack so far. Supporting Lena doesn’t mean YOU should insult or put down all those THIN……..

28. Renata August 26, 2014 at 05:10 #

What the hell. I mean, why. Why would she wear this. It’s just so unflattering, EVERYTHING looks bad, the hair, the makeup, I don’t even know what to say. I don’t know at this point if she does it for the attention or if she really have no friends to tell her that this is a mess.

29. pinksugar August 26, 2014 at 05:31 #

I fell in love with this on the runway and pictured someone like Zoe Saldana or SJP wearing it and then it somehow ended up on Lena. I will never understand who’s bright idea it is to stick her curvaceous body in layers and layers of fabric that only make her appear bigger than what she really is. Also, the blonde hair is horrible.

• Alina August 26, 2014 at 06:17 #

“I fell in love with this on the runway and pictured someone like Zoe Saldana or SJP wearing it and then it somehow ended up on Lena.”

+1. I hate her stylist for ruining this dress for me.

30. Fiona - Perth August 26, 2014 at 05:40 #

Is she joking? I can’t believe she is really serious about choosing a gown like this, so it must be for making a statement … a bad one, I concede but otherwise it is just ridiculous. If she is serious then it is insulting to the designer and everyone close to her is obviously so keen to suck up to her that they tell her she looks good in anything rather than be truthful.
    This whole look is a tragedy and she looks bizarre, even by her standards.

31. Hauteness August 26, 2014 at 06:27 #

She’s a clown. That posture, the makeup…if you think it’s such a big joke then just stay home and spare us from these antics.

32. Yeliz August 26, 2014 at 06:34 #

Top WDOTY contender.

33. jenny August 26, 2014 at 06:55 #

My heart goes out to both lena and the designer.
    After this massive disaster,how is Giambattista Valli ever going to sell another piece from this couture collection?
    I am most curious what Anna wintour thinks of this, after all she was on the cover of vogue after Anna’s pursuit.

34. Dhppy August 26, 2014 at 07:01 #

Is it something we did? Is she lashing out?

35. Larissa August 26, 2014 at 08:03 #

Her stylist needs to be fired immediately. Why in the world he let her leave the house in this conditions? Dress aside, everything else is completely wrong for her, hair, makeup (lack of) posture and general attitude. If you choose to make a grand entrance in a controversial dress at least own it and try to sell it.

36. Sanya August 26, 2014 at 08:05 #

I really dislike this outfit. I wish I could see ithis as some sort of a comedy on the red carpet, but nothing really works for me her. Another WDOTY candidate this week (after Tayler Swift at VMA).

37. Jai August 26, 2014 at 08:57 #

Haha, people take fashion so seriously sometimes. At least she went all out and it gives us something to write about. Good on her!

38. Noemi August 26, 2014 at 09:32 #

First of all I prefer the runway version. The light pink shirt doesn’t convince me and Lena’s is so wrinkled that it seems that it hasn’t been ironed.
    I prefer the colors of the runway version, red on the upper part and pink at the end .
    Said that… the make-up, the posture… why?!?!

39. Marcel August 26, 2014 at 09:36 #

She is doing perfectly her thing : looking ridiculous. Not a surprise, at all.

40. Katey August 26, 2014 at 09:47 #

For the first time when i saw her in this dress my first reaction was: WTF? O.O But I saw other pictures of her on other sites with normal face and with better pose and I have to say I just started kinda like her look. I Love the ombre on the skirt and the matching red lip.

41. Zissou August 26, 2014 at 11:05 #

I am having the EXACT same facial expression as Lena!

42. Lynn August 26, 2014 at 11:38 #

I’m so upset! I absolutely loved this gown when it was first shown.. I really hope someone wears it again and shows it for the fantastic piece of fashion it is! (unlikely after this though)

43. Marko_M August 26, 2014 at 12:12 #

Go Lena!! (that’s all I’m gonna say)

44. liz August 26, 2014 at 12:34 #

How can I adblock her from this site?

45. kevinappears August 26, 2014 at 13:54 #

Thanks for entertaining, I lmao!!

46. SilentVisitor August 26, 2014 at 14:18 #

I think this is hideous. The problem is the shirt; The shirt is completely wrong for her. The skirt should have been much lower down the waist and more fitted and the train less long or the skirt itself less voluminous. GV and her stylist failed her……..

47. An August 26, 2014 at 15:31 #

Here’s someone who enjoys upsetting fashion lovers because she knows she has no dress sense, so why even try?

I actually smiled when I saw this picture. You come to expect this of her.

As far as her profession is concerned, I can’t comment on her talent, yet I find it funny people defend her, you can’t deny she’s an exhibitionist who loves to take her top off on TV!

48. Karen August 26, 2014 at 16:55 #

Worst Look of the Week By Far! First, I cannot get over that Andy Warhol hair! So unflattering! The cut of the sleeves are unflattering, the shirt tucked in the skirt looks frumpy and the skirt is too long and too much for her frame.

49. Carrie August 26, 2014 at 17:03 #

I’m so confused by this. Is this real? Why?

50. Yesaya August 26, 2014 at 17:14 #

what is this? an homage to Strawberry Shortcake?!

51. molly August 26, 2014 at 17:35 #

She looks disgusting, I actually think that she looks gross. And at this point, there is no way that she doesnt pull this crap on purpose just so that she can play victim and whine about how people are so mean about her style. Remember how pretty she looked at the Emmys a few years ago in that blue Prada gown? That was proof that she doesnt have awful style. Why she does this to herself is a mystery.

52. H August 26, 2014 at 18:03 #

This was a fantastic creation and was awesome on the runway, sadly not on Lena, but I don’t think we should talk terribly about her, but the look. I just don’t want to imagine there was a stylist involve in this, as well as PR people and everything else.

53. sara August 26, 2014 at 19:17 #

A look like this requires presence, posture, and attitude to pull off. It doesnt have to do with size as much, but Lena lacks the presence to make this work.

54. BlairW August 27, 2014 at 00:13 #

Do you think she dress like this on purpose? It is really ugly. She knows that right !??

55. Guest August 27, 2014 at 17:09 #

Hideous and ridiculous. So what it’s couture? Even the original on the model is fugly. Why wear it then?

56. TeaAtTwo August 27, 2014 at 21:22 #

Maybe an overreaction but I’m devastated that she was the one who wore this as I had been dying to see this creation on the red carpet and she looks awful in it. I hope someone better wears the the runway version.

57. kane August 28, 2014 at 13:16 #

Seeing the look on her face I am wondering if I am looking into a mirror, what was she thinking?!

58. Megs222 August 28, 2014 at 13:31 #

I think she picked her dream dress and unfortunately it did not translate on the runway. I think she pulls off the platinum blond hair colour, but the makeup is a little heavy handed. I think this look shows how much she does care and that she is willing to try something different. Unfortunately, it did not work. Part of the big problem is the ill-fitting button down shirt and the waist band of the skirt needs to be a little thicker I think. I think she wanted a princess moment, but it just didn’t work out that way.

59. ok September 2, 2014 at 17:31 #

Not much can save this, but she needed to go up a size in the shirt, wear a better bra, iron the shirt, and maybe faux-hawk the hair, or quiff it.