25.08.14

Rita Ora In Donna Karan Atelier – 2014 MTV Video Music Awards #VMA

Rita Ora In Donna Karan Atelier - 2014 MTV Video Music Awards #VMA

Rita Ora, always the chameleon, once again played a different fashion tune at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards #VMA, hosted at The Forum in Inglewood, California on Sunday (August 24).

The songstress, who performs ‘Black Widow’ with Iggy Azalea tonight, was the ultimate lady in red, arriving in a Donna Karan Atelier crimson silk gown.

Bringing the boudoir to the red carpet, she glided around in the negligee-inspired number that featured no shortage of glossy fabric that followed in a train behind her.

Yet, even with the abundance of fabric, skin was still the name of Rita’s style game, given that deep plunge neckline, backless silhouette, and hip-grazing slit.

Her left leg was most certainly her plus-one for the evening.

Perched haphazardly on the boundaries of bad taste—even for the VMAs—she embellished the look further with a diamond choker necklace, high-impact lashes and a ruby-red lip, not to mention her white-blonde, slicked-back ’do.

Perhaps the goal was to try and glamorize the look with the styling.

Should she have stayed in the bedroom?

Credit: Getty

Chanel Iman In Balmain - 2014 MTV Video Music Awards #VMA

Chanel Iman In Balmain – 2014 MTV Video Music Awards #VMA

Lucy Hale In Oscar de la Renta - 2014 MTV Video Music Awards #VMA

Lucy Hale In Oscar de la Renta – 2014 MTV Video Music Awards #VMA

40 Responses to Rita Ora In Donna Karan Atelier – 2014 MTV Video Music Awards #VMA

1. sophie August 25, 2014 at 03:52 #

Tacky as always but for some reason I am rooting for her, because she wants to do well in America and play the game so badly.

• nico August 25, 2014 at 03:56 #

Career wises she is doing fine and wearing a dress like this is to prepare for GQ cover which would really propel her career. It is just branding,. She is by far the sexiest woman in music now so she is playing up to that. Tacky? It is the MTV awards in inglewood.

2. Christine August 25, 2014 at 03:53 #

Tackyville. WOW. Is Donna Karan going downhill? What is this? Deja vu on so many levels and just try hard to the 10th power.

3. nico August 25, 2014 at 03:55 #

She has been the best dressed at MTV awards since her debut., And, tonight was no different. This was sexy and fire. Don’t be shocked if she covers GQ USA ( she has already covered GQUK) off the back of this dress. I love it and I am sure every red blooded American male love fit too.

Should she have stayed in the bedroom? No. This is the most watched awards in the USA ( excluding the oscars ) And she needed to bring some sexy back, and this was perfect combo of sex and glamour, just the dosage needed to attract MTV type crowd. I saw this on IG AND Twitter and everyone loved it.

• Jessica August 25, 2014 at 05:01 #

Nico. Literally. Stop. You comment on literally every Rita Ora post and just mindlessly defend her horrific fashion choices. She’s tacky and you’re the only one who likes how she dresses. Just Stop.

• mg August 25, 2014 at 15:44 #

Agree… Nico please stop

• Koma August 25, 2014 at 16:01 #

Agree with Jessica on everything said! This commenting on Rita is getting tedious! And you(nico) comment on Rita on posts where she’s not even mentioned

• nico August 25, 2014 at 20:42 #

Nope. I am from the USA. I have write to my opinion. If you dont like it, movie to North Korea, where you cannot stare opinion.

• nico August 25, 2014 at 20:40 #

If I am the only one who likes Rita, why has FC put her on the best dressed?

• Larissa August 25, 2014 at 21:54 #

I think we all agree with you Nico that Rita is a really pretty girl and I have no doubts that,as you say, she’ll achieve a lot in terms of GQ covers and underwear ads, but fashion is not all about looking sexy for most of the people reading this blog. It’s also about class and effortlessness and in my opinion she still needs to learn a thing or two about all that. PS Donna Karan needs to go back dressing Nina Dobrev and Ashley Green immediately…those were matches made in fashion heaven!!

4. nico August 25, 2014 at 03:59 #

She is the sexiest and unlike JLO, it suits her age. The American music industry runs of sex appeal and she served it to us. So, it is a win, win in my book. I bet you any money she books a GQ cover or Calvin Klein underwear deal of the back of this.

• Rye August 25, 2014 at 04:04 #

Ok Rita stan calm down. We know you love her, but no need to post about her in several post I’ve seen that are not even about her.

About her look, this dress is tacky no matter who wears it.

5. julyol1972 August 25, 2014 at 04:01 #

Another Rihanna retread with the nightgown looks. Her head space is actually beautiful, but that dress is vulgar, her breasts need support, and the dress needed tailoring. D grade!

6. pinksugar August 25, 2014 at 04:32 #

Skanky. That’s all I got for this.

7. Yeliz August 25, 2014 at 04:49 #

I can’t believe how cheap this dress looks. This is awful.

8. Alina August 25, 2014 at 04:54 #

Oh no.

9. Ade August 25, 2014 at 05:14 #

Should she have stayed in the bedroom?

Yes and she should have stayed home with it

10. CTgirl August 25, 2014 at 05:17 #

So so tacky . . . too much thigh, too much tit and not enough support. Just a really bad look that makes this young woman look like a 35 year old with a lot of hard miles on her. It’s too bad because she could be stunning.

11. alvaro_spain August 25, 2014 at 05:30 #

The best dressed. Sexy and chic. She nailed it.

12. Pedro August 25, 2014 at 06:41 #

She is so tacky and try hard.

The Kardashians looks like Cate Blanchett next to her… yeah, her style is that bad!

• Larissa August 25, 2014 at 08:16 #

LOL I couldn’t agree more :)She is the definition of try hard.

• towanda August 25, 2014 at 09:30 #

LOL true

13. pecray August 25, 2014 at 07:00 #

This is UGLY!

14. Valissa August 25, 2014 at 07:18 #

Goodness, this is beyond bad. Everything about this screams CHEAP!!
    The colour, the fabric, the slit…all so tacky!
    She needs to relax a little and stop trying so hard…

15. jenny August 25, 2014 at 07:23 #

Tacky and always the same.

16. NooG August 25, 2014 at 08:02 #

I find this much less tackier than most of Rihanna’s look as of late and Rihanna is a supposed fashionista. Also, I actually like this look: it’s eye catching and works. Sure the slit could’ve been a bit lower but she still looks great.

17. effieee August 25, 2014 at 08:20 #

It’s insane that a dress with that much fabric covers so little skin. Tacky.

• SilentVisitor August 25, 2014 at 20:06 #

18. Jai August 25, 2014 at 08:43 #

Desperate for attention. Too much makeup, as always.

19. CreoleLady August 25, 2014 at 09:03 #

She can take this back to the UK where apparently she is a big deal. Donna Karan can do better.

20. dan oliver August 25, 2014 at 09:04 #

I do not understand Rita at all she is just a try hard who has access to a lot of fashion but zero style. Her PR machine is in overdrive to because her music is crap but gets a lot of attetion.

21. MEME August 25, 2014 at 09:38 #

Even if she does look Boudoir ready…. It is a vast improvement from her other looks….

22. Fiona - Perth August 25, 2014 at 09:52 #

This makes me think that Rihanna already did this – she needs more support so the whole thing didn’t look like it was about to fall off. I don’t mind the idea but the execution takes it down too many notches for me.

23. Winoto August 25, 2014 at 12:32 #

She just tried too hard! It doesn’t come effortless for her…most of the time. She needs to hire a new stylist

24. Hannah August 25, 2014 at 14:39 #

Lots of love it/ hate it comments above me but I’m torn. I actually do really like the dress. It is the styling that totally fails her here. I wish she had taken the choker off in favor of bracelets or nothing at all and done something with her hair. Perhaps a more mussed-up bedroom inspired look would have suited this dress more than the haphazard slicked back look that just appears messy.

25. Amanda August 25, 2014 at 15:07 #

Blech!!

26. the ogre August 25, 2014 at 16:36 #

As a rule, I never comment on Rita Ora-related posts. I don’t really need to explain why. But, today I just wanted to express how sad I am that this is a Donna Karan creation. I just do not understand. Not one bit.

27. Rebecca Z August 25, 2014 at 19:12 #

Way too far over the top. She can look really good, but this is not one of those times. Way too revealing, the makeup and hair are way too hard. Sad.

28. Parvati August 26, 2014 at 16:53 #

She looks tacky. Apart from the dress, which doesn’t look very good, anyway, I really dislike that choker and the hairstyle.

29. H August 27, 2014 at 02:26 #

I am so disappointed on this because I was expecting so much better from her, I mean, she didn’t got to perform at the TCAwards and i thought she might kill it at the VMA’s, and she was good onstage but not here and I can’t seem to understand why. This girl is really really well managed and with a power brand like Donna Karan this could’ve been perfectiuon, but the execution is not the best.

I think she is pretty sexy but this dress isn’t just what I’d love to see on her, she can do much better!