23.12.13 Best Of

Best Dressed Of The Year Readers’ Choice 2013

85th Annual Academy Awards - ArrivalsBDOTY1BDOTY2BDOTY3BDOTY4

1. Jennifer Lawrence in Christian Dior Couture – 2013 Oscars
2. Nieves Alvarez in Stéphane Rolland Couture – Goya Awards 2013
3. Elizabeth Banks in Elie Saab Couture – ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ Berlin Premiere
4. Cate Blanchett in Balenciaga.Edition – ‘Blue Jasmine’ New York Premiere
5. Nicole Kidman in Valentino Couture – ‘Nebraska’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere
6. Jessica Chastain in Givenchy Couture – ‘All Is Lost’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere
7. Kerry Washington in Giles – ‘Django Unchained’ London Premiere
8. Angelina Jolie in Ralph & Russo – ‘World War Z’ Berlin Premiere
9. Kate Hudson in Reem Acra – Tiffany & Co. Blue Book Ball
10. Emmy Rossum in Carolina Herrera – ‘Persol Magnificent Obsessions: 30 Stories Of Craftsmanship In Film’ Opening

See who just missed out on the Top 10

11. Rooney Mara in Lanvin – Oxfam Charity Gala
12. Sonam Kapoor in Dolce & Gabbana – ‘Jeune & Jolie’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere
13. Beyonce Knowles in Givenchy Couture – 2013 Met Gala
14. Madonna in Givenhcy – 2013 Met Gala
15. Diane Kruger in Prabal Gurung – Metropolitan Opera Season Opening Production Of ‘Eugene Onegin’
16. Holland Roden in Naeem Khan – 2013 MTV Music Awards
17. Shu Qi in Valentino Couture – 50th Golden Horse Awards
18. Scarlett Johansson in Versace – ‘Under The Skin’ Venice Film Festival Premiere
19. Queen Maxima of Netherlands in Jan Taminiau – Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands
20. Rachel McAdams in Roksanda Ilincic – ‘About Time’ World Premiere

Credit: Getty

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 - Lupita Nyong’o

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 – Lupita Nyong’o

Best Dressed Film Festival 2013 – Cannes

Best Dressed Film Festival 2013 – Cannes

71 Responses to Best Dressed Of The Year Readers’ Choice 2013

1. Christine December 23, 2013 at 21:21 #

4, 7, and 10 would’ve been higher for me.

• asherlev1 December 24, 2013 at 00:51 #

OH MY GOD, 4, 7 AND 10 ARE MY FAVORITES. ARE YOU ME?!

• Christine December 24, 2013 at 01:35 #

LOL. Great minds just think alike! <3

2. Iva December 23, 2013 at 21:26 #

No. 2 is my no. 1.

• Serenity December 23, 2013 at 21:45 #

Me. Too. So. Heartbroken.

• irving cares December 24, 2013 at 00:37 #

Sad that the most mediocre of all nominated won it.

3. Milton December 23, 2013 at 21:30 #

I still say that Dior dress on Jennifer was fart too much for her. This list is shockingly disappointing. Hoping your choices will cheer me up again, FC. Happy Holidays!

• Anita December 24, 2013 at 16:25 #

Agreed.
      The fact that Jen is #1 over Nieves is beyond reasoning. Like really?!!

4. vanillarose December 23, 2013 at 21:32 #

I am SO EXCITED that Jessica Chastain is on there! I didn’t expect her to be but I am so pleased that she is because she looked AMAZING, and was my No.1.

• Michel December 23, 2013 at 22:14 #

Me too!! I totally voted for this one as my fav! She is the No.1

• Nat39 December 24, 2013 at 00:42 #

I’m very pleased to see Jessica in that striking purple gown too, she was my 2nd after Nieves. Somehow I didn’t think it was a very popular choice, glad she made it, it was, hands down, one of the highlights during Cannes festival and most knockout looks of the year.
      I’m not going to complain about the order. No. 2,3,6,7,8 made my list. 5 out of 10, it’s great. Happy Holidays, everyone!

5. Yeliz December 23, 2013 at 21:33 #

6 of them are in my own list too. Kerry Washington is my best dressed and Jennifer Lawrence is number 4 for me. I would’ve put Kerry higher, but I’m actually OK with this list.

6. Princess Chi Chi December 23, 2013 at 21:34 #

Agree completely with above comments, no idea how Lawrence’s lacklustre Dior could compete with Nieves’ dramatic and breathtaking Stephane Rolland!

• Serenity December 23, 2013 at 21:46 #

I know. I think I’m experiencing some form of fashion PTSD.

7. Dirk December 23, 2013 at 21:37 #

Surprised at number one but then again i’m biased against Dior at the moment. I swear, i get irrationally angry when it comes to the hot messes they’ve put on Marion and Jennifer.

My number one was Nicole Kidman in the Valentino. Looked exactly like a movie star.

8. Shell December 23, 2013 at 21:41 #

1,3,5,and 10 seem totally forgettable. Something we see every year. Very little color on this list.

9. Marta December 23, 2013 at 21:48 #

So glad Nieves is so high on the list!
    A little sad Rooney Mara did not make it in Lanvin.

10. SilentVisitor December 23, 2013 at 21:50 #

Oh well, I am just waiting for FC’s list

11. Serenity December 23, 2013 at 21:52 #

Only three of these were in my top 10. I’m a bit deflated, especially by #1. I really had my heart set on Nieves taking it. I was prepared for Nicole to take it, but not Jennifer. There are some great looks here, though.

My only WTF-NO SERIOUSLY WTF???? Is to numbers 13 & 14. I mean, I feel like I just pulled two big, fat lumps of coal out of my stocking.

• Serenity December 23, 2013 at 21:54 #

And this-over Nicole K. in Dior at Cannes??? Unbelievable.

• Alex December 24, 2013 at 01:16 #

I can’t believe it either.

12. JJ December 23, 2013 at 21:53 #

Jennifer Lawrence’s Dior at the Oscars is literally the only time I’ve loved (even liked?) her in the brand so if one of her looks had to be No. 1, at least it was the right one.

Happy to see Jessica Chastain place so high. That was such a fresh look. And Nicole Kidman’s Valentino was breathtaking. Such a Grace Kelly moment.

13. shontay December 23, 2013 at 21:54 #

Jennifer gets a really hard time here. I’m not in love with her style overall, but she was great at the Oscars. My best dressed is Elizabeth Banks in that orange number at one of the hunger games premieres. Surprised that didn’t make it.

• irving cares December 24, 2013 at 00:39 #

It’s because everything Jennifer wears is wrong for her in every way possible.

14. Gosia December 23, 2013 at 22:06 #

Where is Rihanna in amazing Azzedine Alaia?

• Mick December 24, 2013 at 11:12 #

That was one of my favourites too!
      Other than that, I moslty agree with the results. Madonna and Beyonce at the Met Gala are however inexplicable to me: more like they belong to the “worst of the year”

15. Paula December 23, 2013 at 22:20 #

I miss Emilly Blunt in Michael Kors Resort from Golden Globes.

16. Natalie December 23, 2013 at 22:23 #

I had Kerry Washington in Giles and the Oscar de la Renta in my top spot, but happy with this list although I find it hilarious that Madonna at the MET Gala was in the top 20 looks of 2013. Her Hilary Davy tribute was by far the worst dressed!!

17. marie December 23, 2013 at 22:37 #

Wow. I was surprised at this year’s nunber 1. If any Jennifer Lawrence dress would have made it to the list, I’d have thought it would be the CK dress she wore at the Vanity Fair. And I’m disapppointed Diane’s PG dress didn’t make it. Looking forward to your list then FC

• Tina December 24, 2013 at 20:20 #

Same, her CK dress was actually one of my top ten of the year! The dior dress was nice, but nothing special.

18. CreoleLady December 23, 2013 at 22:45 #

So glad to see Nieves Alvarez (drama incarnate) and Jessica Chastain (that purple! that Jessica R hourglass!) on the readers choice list. Both are on my list, one/two, but it is Chastain’s exquisite coppery Armani Prive that won out over the purple. In fact it was Chastain that caused me the most heartburn (in a good way) because I loved her electric blue RMouret as well.

• dee December 23, 2013 at 23:58 #

I agree I loved Jessica’s copper gown at the Oscars. I don’t think that look got enough love. Better than the purple gown in my opinion.

• Serenity December 26, 2013 at 16:08 #

I agree with both of you. The copper Armani Prive was one of my top, and while the purple was gorgeous also, I thought the Armani outshone it by far!

19. Kate December 23, 2013 at 23:01 #

I take Jennifer Lawrence’s Oscar gown off this list and replace with Jessica Chastain’s Oscar gown, though I’m unsure what my #1 would ultimately be. Possibly Kate Hudson or Elizabeth Banks.

Disappointed with the bland color palette this year =/

20. quimby December 23, 2013 at 23:06 #

EVERY time I see Nieves in that dress I gasp. Just the perfect marriage of dress and woman.

21. Mm December 23, 2013 at 23:08 #

No Charlize in the white dior

• Alex December 24, 2013 at 01:19 #

Can’t believe it either.

22. Inge December 23, 2013 at 23:13 #

I’m also disappointed with the number one, I love Jennifer but this look did not work for me because she is such a young girl.
    Queen Maxima was my number one!
    I love number 2, 3, 4, 8 and 10

23. Jane December 23, 2013 at 23:51 #

Surprised by number 1 as to me it is only an Oscars’ meringue dress we have seen before! Angelina should be higher on the list in my opinion. I know it’s a simple dress but I remember when I first seen her in that I literally gasped out loud it was so beautiful.

24. Carmen December 23, 2013 at 23:51 #

I am really dissapointed with number one. She looked great but I don’ t find it special. Nieves Alvarez is the number one for me. Anyways, thank you for doing this.

25. amy December 23, 2013 at 23:54 #

wow. I’m shocked, Jen looked great at the oscars but that dress was nothing memorable. I didn’t even remember it when I was voting

26. dee December 23, 2013 at 23:55 #

That Dior gown was bland. I can’t believe it’s no. 1. Nieves or Nicole should have taken the title. Bah Humbug to this list…..lol

27. Mario December 24, 2013 at 00:40 #

You have got to be kidding me, why would any sane person choose Beyonce in that awfully tacky Givenchy number at the MET Gala as best dressed and the look to even gather as many votes as to end up 13th on the BDOTY list?!

28. Dani December 24, 2013 at 01:03 #

Huh, that did not turn out how I thought it would. Also surprised Naomi Watt’s Oscar gown didn’t even make the top 20.

29. SilentVisitor December 24, 2013 at 01:12 #

Oh well, I am just waiting for FC’s list now…

30. Awa December 24, 2013 at 01:31 #

Nimber One : Nieves

31. lola December 24, 2013 at 01:47 #

I’m sorry but I could not get behind Jennifer Lawrence Oscar Look. Others below her looked so much better.

• molly December 24, 2013 at 03:53 #

Agreed. She looked beautiful but I dont think this was the best of the year at all, and Im honestly surprised to even see her in the top five much less #1 as I didnt think this was as popular of a look as it apparently was. If this were my list, I think Nicole should have been #1, followed by Kerry, Jessica, and Elizabeth.

• lola December 25, 2013 at 02:08 #

I especially agree with Kerry and Jessica, they were my favorites of the year

32. Valissa December 24, 2013 at 03:09 #

Jennifer Lawrence being number 1 is disappointing. She was underwhelming all year and her Oscar look was no exception. I’m very surprised that this won? It’s not memorable or interesting or beautiful….
    I’m happy with the rest of the choices although Nicole in Valentino Couture would’ve been first on my list.
    But the public has voted and it is what it is. Bring on 2014!! :D

33. Samantha December 24, 2013 at 03:43 #

#7 .. Kerry Washington looked STUNNING in that Giles dress. She would have been my no. 1 choice. Kerry was on a lot of red carpets this year, looking beautiful, but this Giles dress is my favroite. 2nd would be the the Oscar de la Renta gown she wore to the NAACP Awards.

34. Nicky December 24, 2013 at 04:00 #

FC I’m looking forward to the Critics BDOTY list!

35. Michelle December 24, 2013 at 04:04 #

Count me among those who are surprised with #1. Granted, it’s the best she’s ever looked in Dior but I think I’d actually put anyone else in the Top Ten above her in terms of memorability (save perhaps Jolie, but she still looked awesome).

Cate, Jessica and Nicole are my favorites of those listed. Jaw-dropping.

36. EmmaWoodhouse December 24, 2013 at 04:16 #

Intrigued by this list and the just-missed-it 10; a lot of styles that I thought would make it didn’t and a lot I forgot about are here. Some great choices (Cate Blanchett! Glad she got mentioned!) and some head-scratchers (runner-up Madonna at the Met?), but several of my picks: Nieves (my #1!) Nicole, and Emmy are here :) as well as many others that almost made it for me (Kerry, Cate, Jessica). And finally, Jennifer wouldn’t have been my BDOTY, but it surely was a stand-out look that was VERY memorable and a real princess moment. Plus, I love her. So kudos to her.

37. Jess2 December 24, 2013 at 05:28 #

Surprised Jennifer beat out many of the other lovely ladies, especially Nieves, but she did look great, it was one of her best Dior looks of the year. Great to see Jessica in that gorgeous purple and Nicole took my breath away in the Valentino Couture. Also surprised to see Angelina, not a look that I liked and I would replace with Queen Maxima.
    I think Nieves’s look is something I will remember for years to come, the look continues to wow me every time I see it.

38. Alina December 24, 2013 at 06:18 #

Really shocked that Nieves didn’t win. Jennifer Lawrence’s look was beautiful, but standard, whereas Nieves’ was daring and outstanding.

SOOO glad to see Jessica Chastain in this top. My favourite look from her was the Roland Mouret from the BAFTAs (#3 in my list), but I’m glad that the equally flawless Givenchy look is here.

Elizabeth Banks and Kerry Washington were also on my list (#4 and #7).

Cate Blanchett and Nicole Kidman were my #13 & #14. and the bottom row… even if all the looks are beautiful, they weren’t BDOTW worthy for me.

13. Beyonce Knowles in Givenchy Couture – 2013 Met Gala
    14. Madonna in Givenhcy – 2013 Met Gala
    - I’m a big fan of Beyonce, but this is shocking! Madonna… I have no words!

Really surprised not to see in this list:
    - Lupita Nyong’o in Prada – 2013 TIFF (my #2)
    - Naomie Harris in Alexander McQueen – “Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom” Royal Premiere (my #5)
    - Charlize Theron in Dior – 2013 Oscars (my #6)
    - Rose Byrne in Calvin Klein Collection – 2013 Emmy Awards (my #10)
    + Queen Máxima of the Netherlands in Jan Taminiau deserved a higher place, IMO (she was my #8).

Looking forward to see your top, FC, as I usually agree more with your choices than with the Readers’.

39. Alex December 24, 2013 at 08:24 #

I forgot Naomi Watts in Armani Prive which was superb. She is in my top 3 along with Cate Blanchett in Balenciaga.Edition and Nicole Kidman in Dior couture.

40. Faila December 24, 2013 at 09:22 #

Where is Zhang Yuqi in Ulyana Sergeenko?

41. Markness December 24, 2013 at 09:44 #

I thought JLaw looked stunning but comparing to the 9 others in the list, it’s kinda out of league. Nieves, Cate, and Angelina were the ones I am board in the list. I have to confess I voted for Madonna in Givenchy. I think she looked badass in that event. I’m pretty sure everyone was expecting gowns but why not a blazer and bikini with chains and cross. I like it. At least it made the top 15. You go Queen Madonna! :D

42. Elise December 24, 2013 at 10:34 #

This list proves the diversity of readers this web has. It would be very boring if everybody has the same opinion: some of you can think a dress is sickly sweet, others think is event appropiate; a dress considered as extremely tacky by somebody can be considered outstanding by others.

Congrats JLaw and her gown; it wasn’t in my list but that gown was made for an Oscar winner, it was truly her night.

43. vanillarose December 24, 2013 at 12:54 #

It seems that generally people are surprised by Jennifer’s win, and I am too, because most of the time she looks awful in Dior. It is probably the least memorable look on this list, and unlike Nieves and Jessica and Kerry, a dress that I feel has been seen before multiple times.

44. vanillarose December 24, 2013 at 12:54 #

45. Leela December 24, 2013 at 12:58 #

As much as I love Lawrence, and she looked beautiful in the dress she wore to a huge event (and won!)… it’s not #1 worthy. It’s more of a memorable moment than best dressed.

#2, #3 #9 are my favourites.

Can’t wait to see your list FC!

46. Larissa December 24, 2013 at 13:29 #

I loved Jessica, Kate and Cate’s outfits but Nieves was my best dressed of the year without a doubt. I’m surprised Jennifer won since her gown is more a “traditional” and safe choice, but maybe because of that it tends to be liked by everyone so I’m cool with her winning too.

47. Ash December 24, 2013 at 14:02 #

Disappointing… where’s Taylor Swift in Reem Acra(winter whites gala)? Charlize Theron in Dior(2013 oscars)? #1 is truly disappointment, that’s not even that night’s best. Love 2 and 6.

• Zara December 24, 2013 at 14:29 #

48. Cássia December 24, 2013 at 14:06 #

I’m happy because at least Jessica Chastain is in the top 10

49. Sunny December 24, 2013 at 17:20 #

Number 10, Emmy Rossum was my absolute favourite of the year!

50. Prudence December 24, 2013 at 19:13 #

my god, never have I disagreed more on a list. The only person I would keep on this list is Nieves, everyone else is not deserving to be in the top 50 even…I mean Jessica in ghat givenchy??? Hell no. Kate Hudsons dress is so incredibly boring and the shoes so awful how in the hell is she in here? And I mean that cate blanchette look was one of her worst this year, I thought for sure her in the red armani would make it here. Overall this year was such a much in rc I gues I shouldnt be surprised that the top 10 are all pretty basic looks we will not remember by Jan 1st.

51. Tina December 24, 2013 at 20:23 #

I voted for Nieves and Nicole, so I’m glad they made the list, but seriously wtf with #1? I’m so surprised by this I gaped at the page for a good minute. If I could put any JLaw gown on best dressed it’d be her CK dress during the Oscars afterparty.

52. Magdalena January 4, 2014 at 02:05 #

I have to say I don’t like #10, and I find Emmy to be overrated. Different strokes…