07.09.13 Premiere

Lupita Nyong’o In Prada – ’12 Years A Slave’ Toronto Film Festival Premiere

Lupita Nyong'o In Prada - '12 Years A Slave' Toronto Film Festival Premiere

Kenyan actress Lupita Nyong’o not only made her Hollywood debut, acting alongside Brad Pitt in their movie,’12 Years a Slave’, but she also makes her Red Carpet Fashion Awards debut.

And what a magical debut it is.

Lupita took to the red carpet for the Toronto International Film Festival premiere on Friday evening wearing a stunning Prada white silk jersey gown with a gold sequin smocked bodice.

This makes me eat my words when I said Miuccia Prada’s red carpet gowns don’t wow me, because this took my breath away.

The look was complemented with dazzling jewel encrusted Prada clutch and gold Prada leather sandals, with flawless smooth skin accentuated with a deep berry lip colour and diamond encrusted earrings completing the look.

Micaela Erlanger, her stylist, played it so very right. I know I will remember this gown at the end of year honors.

I have a feeling that narrowing down ten BDOTW worthy looks on Sunday is going to be very difficult.

Credit: Getty

Keri Russell In Rosie Assoulin - 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Keri Russell In Rosie Assoulin – 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Nicole Kidman In Altuzarra - 'The Railway Man' Toronto Film Festival Premiere

Nicole Kidman In Altuzarra – ‘The Railway Man’ Toronto Film Festival Premiere

52 Responses to Lupita Nyong’o In Prada – ’12 Years A Slave’ Toronto Film Festival Premiere

1. J September 7, 2013 at 00:56 #

Absolutely stunning.

2. Lashae September 7, 2013 at 00:59 #

This is look is so gorgeous. Everything is on point from her makeup, jewelry and clutch. I consider this a BDOTW nominee and winner.

• Fiona-Brasil September 7, 2013 at 02:50 #

3. amy September 7, 2013 at 01:10 #

sick! BDOTW nominee. there’s nothing wrong about her look. It’s gorgeous

4. Martin September 7, 2013 at 01:22 #

Gorgeous. I would not have picked this as Prada in a hundred years, but she totally nails it. What an incredible red carpet debut. Stunning.

• Yeliz September 7, 2013 at 09:11 #

Totally agree. I dislike the most Prada gowns, but this one is absolutely stunning and her styling is flawless . She looks enchanting. I really don’t know who to vote for this week!

5. Carla September 7, 2013 at 01:24 #

Stunning!

6. Nat39 September 7, 2013 at 01:24 #

I would’ve preferred to see this delightful gown on someone more statuesque and with a beautiful romantic ‘do, but she looks wonderful.

• Jenna September 7, 2013 at 04:58 #

Arent you tired of seeing women that are “more statuesque” with the same ol’ “beautiful romantic ‘do”? Many women in Hollywood look like that. It’s becoming stale. Lupita’s bringing a different look and energy entirely. Her real (African) hair is perfect.

• CreoleLady September 7, 2013 at 09:53 #

+1000.

• SilentVisitor September 7, 2013 at 15:20 #

I 2000% agree with. You said exactly what I wanted to say when I read that comment. Thanks God, Lupita is not a carbon copy of what we see everyday.
        I especially love your remark about the hair…..
        So far Lupita is my BDOTW

• Nat39 September 7, 2013 at 17:29 #

No, I’m not tired. I like lean silhouettes and long necks. This kind of beauty never gets stale. But like I said, she looks beautiful too.

• Nat39 September 7, 2013 at 17:45 #

…Just to be clear, I don’t have a problem with her beauty, I think she is absolutely gorgeous. I just think this particular neckline for example suits longer necks. Deeper neck-lengthening necklines would be a better choice for her. And the hairstyle is not quite in harmony with the soft feminine beauty of the gown. But yes I think she looks fantastic.

• Kristine Maitland September 8, 2013 at 04:20 #

Feminine by who’s standards? The only way she can have so called “feminine” (read: white woman’s) hair is if she wears somebody else’s hair, likely stolen (if not sold by monks) from some woman in India. You don’t think that Beyonce’s own hair, do you?

• Nat39 September 8, 2013 at 19:06 #

Her hair is beautiful, feminine, charming, adorable, an updo for this look being my preference.

• Edie September 9, 2013 at 05:22 #

Nat39, I agree with you about the neckline. (I don’t think there was anything narrow-minded about what you said. You comment on many things I read here and you seem objective about the individuals wearing the clothes to me.)

• Jenna September 9, 2013 at 14:03 #

It’s O.K to have a preference but I’m speaking about opening ones mind to something else other than what they used to seeing all the time. This why every woman looks the same because people are not open to anything different.

So her hair contrasts the “soft feminine beauty of the gown”- Exactly what I am saying. This woman’s haircut is not feminine but Anne Hathaway’s will be considered boyish cute. If half of these black Hollywood women walked the red carpets and showed you their real hair underneath those wigs what would you say?

I bet you would not say the same thing if the dress was worn by Tilda Swinton and another woman with a haircut (silky hair).

I work as a high fashion model and I tell you that I have Lupita’s haircut and the designers and stylists always make me wear pants at shows. That’s what they seem to know and only a few of them make me wear dresses. My friends who look like me- with short hair complain about that as well.

• Nat39 September 9, 2013 at 19:31 #

Thank you, Edie.

The “it’s because her beauty/hairstyle is African” subcontext upsets me, but thank you, Jenna, for your nice, polite reply.

• Prudence September 9, 2013 at 23:32 #

SPEAK THAT TRUTH PLEASE.

7. Ro September 7, 2013 at 01:24 #

Now this is how you make an entrance – beautiful!

8. Glenda September 7, 2013 at 01:32 #

Stunning!!!

9. Dhppy September 7, 2013 at 01:37 #

Oh… ethereal! I’m not used to seeing this actress, she is stunning! I saw this photo and thought… “She looks amazing, and I’m not a Prada girl!”, then I read your comment FC… Ha! We both owe Prada an apology.

• Catherine Kallon September 7, 2013 at 01:49 #

We totally do.. :D

• Evil Brittaa September 7, 2013 at 02:28 #

I had to double-take on Prada too. So ethereal, so unexpected.

10. Maine September 7, 2013 at 01:41 #

What a gorgeous woman. Stunning look.

11. Natalie September 7, 2013 at 01:48 #

STUNNING! BDOTW

12. Pedro September 7, 2013 at 01:53 #

Gorgeous dress and gorgeous girl!

BDOTW

• chryssa September 7, 2013 at 13:02 #

+1!

13. fiona4802 September 7, 2013 at 01:56 #

Wow, I reckon she would look good no matter what she wore. Beautiful, graceful and elegant.

• KatieKate September 8, 2013 at 16:47 #

Those were my very same thoughts when I saw her here. What a stunner!! Not sure we would even think Prada had done such a good job on this dress had it been worn by someone else. She is jus gorgeous–glowing from the inside.. I am hoping to see much more from her on the RC soon!

14. Muthoni September 7, 2013 at 02:13 #

Gorgeous!!!

15. Neli September 7, 2013 at 02:47 #

Stunning!! BDOTW!!

16. Christine September 7, 2013 at 03:15 #

The only prada dress I like so far. She looks stunning

17. msd September 7, 2013 at 03:27 #

Wowza! She may be a tad short for the length of the dress but that’s a minor quibble. Definitely BDOTW worthy.

18. Mm September 7, 2013 at 04:07 #

Absolutely stunning.

19. TeaAtTwo September 7, 2013 at 05:30 #

I love this look. She looks flawless. BDOTY contender for sure.

• Alina September 7, 2013 at 08:04 #

DITTO. This is BDOTY material!

20. Rashmi September 7, 2013 at 06:27 #

I had goosebumps all over when I saw the pic! She is so stunning, so beautiful! Definitely my BDOTW and contender for BDOTY!
    Nobody nails it in the first red carpet as she did!
    And yes, when did Prada started coming with such delicate beautiful dresses :-)

21. Prudence September 7, 2013 at 07:34 #

she looks lovely but I am rather disappointed in her choice of designer. I wish black actresses would stop wearing labels that refuse to cast black models ( lets not forget that Prada went 10 years without a single black model on their runway). If these brands feel like they do not want to be associated with our race than african american celebs should damn well not be wearing their clothes.

• Ahot September 7, 2013 at 12:27 #

Very interesting tidbit of info. I was eyeing a prada bag, but i guess the brand just lost me as a customer forever. I am sure Lupita & other actresses are not aware of this, i hope they act on it. That said, she was boldly beautiful at the premiere! Kudos & thanks for not apologising for who she is. She is definitely one to watch in the future.

22. justme September 7, 2013 at 09:10 #

What a stunning debut. I love everything.

23. Iva September 7, 2013 at 09:19 #

One word – wow!

24. Jolene September 7, 2013 at 09:41 #

well, I keep my old impression: Miuccia Prada’s red carpet gowns don’t wow me. This is not an exception. The dress is horrid. She looks nice from neck up. Wonderful smile.

25. CreoleLady September 7, 2013 at 09:49 #

Wow. I actually did a double-take. Stunning. She makes the gown look better instead of the other way ’round.

26. Marina September 7, 2013 at 12:32 #

She looks beautiful. Amazing dress. Love the make up and the hair. And the accessories. And the smile. And everything! Stunning.

27. Namel September 7, 2013 at 13:53 #

Definitely BDOTW contender. Don’t narrow it to 10 there are many great appearances.

28. Mick September 7, 2013 at 17:10 #

Amazing, and yes probably one of the best Prada evening gowns we’ve ever seen, she looks great.

29. GLENN September 7, 2013 at 17:18 #

Wow i saw this on tv and the first thing on my mind was thus is a BDOTW moment!
    Her skin is glowing, the dress is fab, i love it!

30. Juliana September 7, 2013 at 17:25 #

This is perfection!!! I loved!!!

31. Mol September 7, 2013 at 18:58 #

The most beautiful red carpet appearance I’ve seen in a good long while – I won’t forget this look easily.

32. H September 7, 2013 at 21:38 #

Loving her, hope to see more of her, not in a overwhelming way, but yes, looking forward. She looks great on it.

33. sara September 10, 2013 at 00:51 #

I think she looks gorgeous and the gown is stunning on her… but, not to sounds super picky, I wish the it was 1/2inch-1inch shorter, at least in the front. I adore the clutch, prada done superbly :)