18.05.13 Premiere

Nieves Alvarez In  Ralph & Russo Couture -  ‘Jimmy P (Psychotherapy Of A Plains Indian)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Let’s be honest, Cannes has been a little lacking in the wow department this year.

I have been waiting for a gown would lift me up and knock me off my feet, and it was Nieves Alvarez who has finally given me that magic moment.

The supermodel and Solo Moda host looked sensational taking to the red carpet at the Grand Théâtre Lumière in France for the ‘Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy of a Plains Indian)’ premiere this evening.
She wore a custom Ralph & Russo Couture raspberry gown which exudes old Hollywood glamour.

The unique strapless fitted gown has a spectacular gazaar bustle which starts from a rose-gold plated detail from her hip and snakes around to the back to form a train.

Gold accessories including a Christian Louboutin clutch, sandals and Chopard jewels styled her look along with flawless makeup and side-swept tresses.

This is the kind of brilliance which makes Cannes so special. I’m so glad that I finally have a truly memorable BDOTY moment.

All hail the Queen of Cannes.

Credit: Getty

Zooey Deschanel's Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

Zooey Deschanel’s Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

Stacy Keibler's Giuseppe Zanotti 'Alien' Sandals

Stacy Keibler’s Giuseppe Zanotti ‘Alien’ Sandals

49 Responses to Nieves Alvarez In Ralph & Russo Couture – ‘Jimmy P. (Psychotherapy Of A Plains Indian)’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Carmen May 19, 2013 at 00:02 #

Wowww¡¡ Amazing¡¡ I am so proud of her¡¡

2. EmmaWoodhouse May 19, 2013 at 00:09 #

Actually I’ve had a few BDOTY worthy looks–Fan in her yellow Elie Saab, Sonam in D & G, but this is a welcome dose of drama!!! The look is unusual, and may take some warming up to for some, but I’m really enjoying the OTT hip detail, rich fresh color, and her confident pose!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let Nieves have more appearances at the fest! :)

• Cristina May 19, 2013 at 00:24 #

• Jessica L May 19, 2013 at 00:47 #

But Fan’s yellow look was just a carbon copy of the Elie Saab gown she wore to the Elton John party.

All those Elie Saab gowns roll into one big boring ball of sequins and lack originality

• Mandy May 19, 2013 at 03:36 #

I agree about the yellow Elie Saab but this gown on Nieves is very deserving of a BDOTY nomination. The colour is gorgeous and dramatic.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 19, 2013 at 04:54 #

That pink dress at the Elton John party would have been BDOTY-worthy for me but the bodice was rather a wardrobe malfunction. Now, when I see the dress perfectly executed in yellow (always one of my favorite colors), I’m very excited.
        I’m a big fan of Elie Saab, and I don’t find his designs boring or unoriginal…they’re very timeless, imo, with the most beautiful craftsmanship. Not everyone has to agree, of course. But that’s my opinion!
        However, I also appreciate gowns like Nieves’ here. Such sleek, almost futuristic drama!

• Jess2 May 19, 2013 at 07:08 #

Amen to that! I will never get over Elie Saab! Fan in yellow is a BDOTY contender for me too :D

3. victor May 19, 2013 at 00:10 #

THANKS a lot for the review…. i’m so happy you like it!

• DSI May 19, 2013 at 06:43 #

Are u the stylist,Victor? Great job! Congrats!

• victor May 19, 2013 at 13:38 #

yep! so happy with all of this!! Nieves too :)

thanks!

• Jess2 May 19, 2013 at 07:12 #

Like is an understatement hehe, LOVE this! Congratulations Victor, a job well done :)

4. j May 19, 2013 at 00:16 #

Eh, I’m not really feeling it. It might just be the lack of contrast between her dress and the carpet, but it not a very interesting look in my opinion. Also, the structure of the dress is a little confusing to me. There seems to be no flow at all… the way the train is attached to the dress is so jarring? The dress and the train look like two separate pieces that were never meant to be connected.

• GiGi May 19, 2013 at 00:23 #

• Tati M May 19, 2013 at 16:05 #

So ugly. It seems she has a curtain on her hips

• dee May 20, 2013 at 19:46 #

This is terrible. First look of hers I detest.

5. Kristen May 19, 2013 at 00:20 #

BDOTY since today… with her GOYA’s look and this one, I mean, honestly??? She needs a super place in the celeb fashion world!

6. Dhppy May 19, 2013 at 00:21 #

Major Wow! I’m blown away. Definitely on my BDOTY list.

7. justme May 19, 2013 at 00:24 #

I don’t like this.

I know it was the intent but the train is way too disproportionate at the hip for my taste.
    I also agree with J that maybe red wasn’t the colour to go with.

8. Yeliz May 19, 2013 at 00:27 #

Spectacular. This is truly a wow moment. She looks flawless. Not everyone would be able to carry such a big gown, but Nieves does this gown more than justice. The red is striking against her skin. J’adore.

• Fiona-Brasil May 19, 2013 at 02:25 #

9. Christine May 19, 2013 at 00:37 #

Nice but not BDOTY

• Prudence May 19, 2013 at 02:21 #

exactly, this is deffs not a bdoty…this isnt even going to make it in my list of best of cannes. I do not understand the excitement over this. Her Stephane Rolland look was much more impressive.

10. Nat39 May 19, 2013 at 00:41 #

The train in fact is so oddly attached at the hip, bulky, awkward and looks more like an accidental addition. But it is certainly a standout look. Her Stephane Rolland look was superior however.

• Nat39 May 19, 2013 at 00:52 #

…it’s always a pleasure to see a unique design but I can’t say that this one is executed fabulously, the train detail could’ve been a bit more thought through.

11. Jessica May 19, 2013 at 00:41 #

Is this real?? I’m still in shock…. Best dressed of the Year with this, with her Goya’s and of course that in Cannes she won to all the others. This dress is amazing, i didn’t know about the designers… Love it.

J.

12. Ramsay May 19, 2013 at 00:42 #

I like it indeed – Especially the cut around the bust – But iI’m not blown away as you guys are – It’s a very Valentino Garavani dress, because of the colour of course but also because he has done many of those dresses with draping around the waist – But he did them better – There was more control and refinement in the draping – This seems slightly overdone
    But then again I’m not really waiting for my first BDOTY movement at Cannes cause I already had one (Kidman’s intricate and oh so refined Dior) – And I’m sure more will come with Kidman, Blanchett (most likely in Armani, did you see her photos yesterday at Armani’s headquarters in Milan?), Cotillard and Lawrence have a shot (most likely in Dior, I am more hopeful on Cotillard to be honest) and the guest at Amfar (Portman and Theron? They are rumoured to be coming to Monaco’s for the Dior’s show, so hopefully they’ll stick around)
    Bottom line, good dress and well done Nieves and I suspect people will love it – Everyone likes a train as the weekly polls never fail to demonstrate

13. Henrique May 19, 2013 at 00:57 #

Yes, YES. Everything is perfect here. The colour, the train, the accessories… YES YES.

14. Blush May 19, 2013 at 01:12 #

I think people are just looking at anything different to wow over because this festival has been pretty bad for fashion. This woman is gorgeous, the color is gorgeous, why the weird thing growing out of her hip?!!

• bessie May 19, 2013 at 07:18 #

i like the cut of the dress,but i really dont like the weird thing growing out of her hip.not working for me:(

15. Ala May 19, 2013 at 01:32 #

I’ve come to expect a lot from Nieves, and a lot from Cannes, and this look just doesn’t do it for me. After her sensational BDOTY Stéphane Rolland Couture gown back in February, this look is formula-esque in comparison.

I would definitely kick this look to the curb over that beautiful and stunning art work of a gown she wore back then. That being said, I wish she wore this gown back in February and saved her Stéphane Rolland Couture gown for the world fashion stage that is Cannes.

swooning again: http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2013/02/18/nieves-alvarez-in-stephane-rolland-couture-2013-goya-cinema-awards/

16. HM May 19, 2013 at 01:33 #

THANK GOD SOMEONE BROUGHT HER DRAMA!

She looks divine! The gown is simple/modern yet dramatic. Styling is impeccable. Cannes is THE place to wear a train so I’m praying for bigger AND longer gowns. Please forward this memo to all Cannes attendees please:

Don’t go big or go home, GO BIG AND THEN GO HOME!

17. Anne May 19, 2013 at 01:42 #

I really like the cut of this dress from the waist up. I am not a fan of the wave of fabric sprouting from her hip. Just not my thing

18. Marybeth May 19, 2013 at 01:45 #

I love the gorgeous color, the drama, and the elegant styling — all of the elements for a perfect Cannes look!

Nieves has the presence to pull this off beautifully but I think the execution of the dress design is problematic. The attachment and drape of the train is a bit clumsy. The crease across the hips suggests strain, perhaps from the entire weight of a heavy train being carried at one hip point.

The look is still a great delight, the kind of thing we’ve all been waiting for!

19. Kat May 19, 2013 at 01:46 #

The bustle-train is overwhelming the whole design. Not even a contender for BDOTD for me.

20. Sherrie Golden May 19, 2013 at 02:29 #

I like the dress. I wish her hair was pinned up.

21. Angela May 19, 2013 at 03:09 #

There is nothing that could’ve been done to sell this look to me. That hip detail is so distracting and overbearing to me; it doesn’t drape nicely, it just juts out of her dress awkwardly, making the shape bizarre. The gold accessories were a nice addition, but this is just an ugly duckling dress.

22. Push101 May 19, 2013 at 03:47 #

She looks amazing but this kind of reminds me of Jlo at the 2010 Oscars in Armani

• Aurélien May 19, 2013 at 09:27 #

I’m slightly disappointed. The hip details and the cut of the bodice is the same as Stephane Rolland’s gowns ! (I thought it was an SR’s design at first …)

23. Rashmi May 19, 2013 at 03:56 #

I really tried to like this look as most of you all, but sadly I didn’t find it that wow.
    She looks stunning bcoz of her oozing confidence and attitude! Surely there is finally the much needed drama but I find the red blending with the RC just too much , the hip detail is a bit overdone, also the length of the gown is quite awkward.

The Stephane Rolland dress of her is a bdoty contender, sadly this isn’t as awesome as that.

24. from-chitown May 19, 2013 at 04:06 #

Love this look… Finally a look worth talking about today. She definitely brought the drama. While not quite BDOTY for me, it still is quite memorable.

25. Pedro May 19, 2013 at 06:35 #

Epic, just epic!

BDOTY

26. Alicat May 19, 2013 at 07:07 #

THIS is the gown and the lady everyone will be talking about long after Cannes is over for this year. It is totally unique, and the drama is such that it is impossible not to be enthralled. The fire engine red takes it into knock out territory. Cannes is not about personal taste and what we as individuals would wear. I couldn’t wear this in a million years as I am too petite and have a quiet personality. But on Ms Alvarez’ perfectly proportioned, statuesque frame, together with her fierce attitude, it is a work of art. Absolutely fabulous!!!

27. Jess2 May 19, 2013 at 07:18 #

All hail indeed! Thi reminds me of Jennifer Lopez’s 2010 Oscars dress but this is soooo much better! Love the colour and the fierceness that only Nieves can bring! Another one to add to my BDOYT list, oh how I love Cannes.

28. Noemi May 19, 2013 at 10:21 #

The dress itself is gorgeous and she looks stunnig, I would like to know the weight of the dress, there’s a lot of fabric there.

29. Alina May 19, 2013 at 13:54 #

THIS is why I love this woman’s style!

30. Kathy May 19, 2013 at 17:21 #

Finally, someone who understands that Cannes is NOT about playing things safe! Such a bold, striking, dramatic look. Perfectly executed, in my opinion. Of course, with all dresses as daring as this one, there will be those who love it and those who hate it. I happen to love it, because I think the volume (thankfully) is just enough to not be overwhelming.

31. Jessica May 19, 2013 at 19:26 #

Simply the best… nothing else to say just; THE BEST

32. Pene May 20, 2013 at 14:33 #

Maybe it the picture but it looks like a different material from the dress. so no not really

33. Moxie May 20, 2013 at 15:58 #

Love the main part of the dress, but the side train just makes her look hippy.