15.05.13 Premiere

Carey Mulligan In Christian Dior Couture - ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Carey Mulligan, the star of ‘The Great Gatsby’, finally took her place on the red carpet this evening for the Cannes Film Festival premiere.

The British star surprised me by finally applying a touch of lippie, in a bold red hue. She also surprised me with the length of her hair. I had assumed it was much shorter; however, she has been concealing the length in a bun and updos for the last few red carpet appearances.

I’m guessing she had to apply the red lip colour in order to prevent her being washed out by her blush matte satin duchesse Dior Couture gown.

The fit and the streamline silhouette leave me in awe. As you know, I’m more likely to get excited by a bling gown on the red carpet, but this minimalist gown hits another fashion home run for the talented actress.

Tiffany jewels completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Sonam Kapoor In Anamika Khanna Couture - ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Sonam Kapoor In Anamika Khanna Couture – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Zhang Yuqi In Ulyana Sergeenko Couture - ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Zhang Yuqi In Ulyana Sergeenko Couture – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

62 Responses to Carey Mulligan In Christian Dior Couture – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

1. Erika May 15, 2013 at 21:45 #

Very understated and sophisticated, but very boring in the French Riviera. What’s up with all the Diors this year at Cannes?

• Alexandra May 19, 2013 at 19:53 #

it seems like every other dress is Dior, doesn’t it?

2. Neli May 15, 2013 at 21:45 #

Tx God some lip color!! But can’t help: it´s the most boring dress at opening ceremony!

3. Fanny May 15, 2013 at 21:47 #

I like the whole look. That is one beautiful dress.

4. Yeliz May 15, 2013 at 21:48 #

I can see a little side boob, but I still love this gown and the whole look. The red lip colour was a wise choice. Her minimalistic approach starts to work for me. Thumbs up.

• Foteini P. May 16, 2013 at 23:10 #

• Kiwi May 17, 2013 at 18:52 #

5. Moxie May 15, 2013 at 21:49 #

She definitely needed the red lippy. She looks really washed out.

6. Christina May 15, 2013 at 21:49 #

She’s gorgeous, as always. I can’t help but laugh at Lurhmann’s misplaced hand.

• Noemi May 16, 2013 at 07:06 #

Just noticed where he placed his hand! Ah, men…

7. Emmeline May 15, 2013 at 21:50 #

So relieved to see her not wearing black and wearing some lip color. The dress and the jewels are gorgeous, the only thing I would have changed was her hair. I’m really not crazy about that center part.

8. Rebecca Z May 15, 2013 at 21:53 #

She looks amazing in my opinion. Her minimalist approach is such a nice antidote to the over-the-top styling of the film. Agree that a side part in her hair would have been more sophisticated, but this is gorgeous.

• Mandy May 15, 2013 at 22:07 #

Agree. She looks stunning in this silhouette. The tiny touch of sideboob is tasteful.

• Christine May 16, 2013 at 01:53 #

She looks so beautiful here. Glad to see her in something other than black. Love the red lippie.

9. Nat39 May 15, 2013 at 21:54 #

I love the clean simplicity of the look. It’s all in the impeccable fit and the beauty of the silhouette, amazing on her figure. Her styling is flawless – the straight center-parted hair, the subtle diamond bling and the bright lippie to brighten it up…all work perfectly, and Carey is carrying it off with great poise. (Minus the slight wrinkles on the bottom of the skirt), I’m sold, the beauty is in the simplicity, I don’t think it’s plain or boring.

10. Sundas May 15, 2013 at 21:54 #

She looks so young with her hair down!

I don’t love the dress, but she looks so gorgeous that, for me, it doesn’t matter.

11. Aline May 15, 2013 at 21:57 #

Her hair looks limp and I hate when women wear red lipstick with blush colored clothes. It’s just too jarring.
    The gown is okay and figure flattering, but just so boring for Cannes.

I don’t get why we’re seeing so much Dior on this red carpet. Although I dislike Prada just as much, it would’ve at least made sense given the fact they’re involved in the movie.

• dee May 15, 2013 at 22:32 #

I completely agree.

• Alina May 16, 2013 at 05:45 #

I really agree with the first part of your comment.

12. DorianGray May 15, 2013 at 22:00 #

Beautiful, but far from being unforgettable.

• Noemi May 16, 2013 at 07:09 #

I agree, but, honestly, she never dresses in unforgettable way. She’s a really good actress, that’s the importance. I didn’t expected much from her at Cannes and I think she did her best.

13. Xiomalys Crespo May 15, 2013 at 22:01 #

While the silhouette of the dress is very pretty, this look falls flat on Carey. The red lip clashes with its color and the hair is especially irksome.

A star can hit the fashion jackpot with simplicity, yet this gets a no from me.

• Denise May 16, 2013 at 06:32 #

+1. She is in desperate need of COLOUR. With her pale complexion and limp blond hair a blush!!! gown does nothing for her. If the gown was in ANY other colour she would have been georgous because the fit and the style suit her and flatter her.

14. Papiki May 15, 2013 at 22:03 #

Refreshing to see her hair styled loosely! Simple! Elegant! Sleek! J’adore!

15. Jai May 15, 2013 at 22:05 #

I thought she had short hair and assumed that was elaborate hair extensions! Anyway, it reminds me of Gwyneth Paltrow’s pink oscar gown from years ago (slightly classier version).

• Erika May 15, 2013 at 22:14 #

It totally reminded me of the Goop lady’s hideous Ralph Lauren bubblegum confection. This is way classier!

• Magdalena May 16, 2013 at 02:34 #

The shape reminds me of the Stella McCartney gown she wore to the oscars in 2005.

16. Scarlett May 15, 2013 at 22:08 #

This was what I was hoping for. She went for a gown without compromising her minimalist style. It’s simple, elegant and beautiful.

17. Charlotte May 15, 2013 at 22:13 #

The dress is too pale for her skin. And I don’t like the lipstick with the color of the dress.
    Like you, I thought her hair was much shorter.
    This hairstyle is awful, it looks like she hasn’t wash her hair !

18. kane May 15, 2013 at 22:25 #

I find myself slightly underwhelmed by the dress itself, but quite like the overall impression.

19. S May 15, 2013 at 22:28 #

At a premiere, I would’ve given it a thumbs up but Cannes? It falls into the safe category, even with the red lips.

20. Poppy May 15, 2013 at 22:30 #

She looks beautiful, love this look.

21. roosje May 15, 2013 at 22:47 #

Although I’m happy to see her wearing colour, I just wish it could have been a better one’s

22. Cookie May 15, 2013 at 22:51 #

Gown is fantastic, but I would’ve loved her in a pixie (Carey OWNS the pixie cut) or a Gatsby-appropriate bob. But then again I’m a sucker for women with short hair, I think it looks so chic. Dislike the harsh red lip.

23. Melrose May 15, 2013 at 23:05 #

Ehhh… forgettable at best.

24. molly May 15, 2013 at 23:06 #

I wasnt a fan at first, but now that I have had a few hours to sit on it, I really like this look a lot. I wish she had done more with her hair, but this is a nice change from her usual bun. She looks beautiful.

25. Ysatis May 15, 2013 at 23:13 #

Beautiful elegant dress but on her it looks like Casper the ghost. On top of that she just does not have the attitude to rock this dress. She always looks ill at ease when in public, like she’s rather be at home with her hubby and read a good book.

26. Ash May 15, 2013 at 23:30 #

Finally a look that’s not THAT boring. but still…the hair is a NO.

27. LeeAnn May 16, 2013 at 00:17 #

Hideous she looks like a corpse

• Prudence May 16, 2013 at 01:41 #

ahaa the girl needs a tan or some bronzer…SOMETHING TO MAKE HER LOOK LESS GHOSTLY.

• Kate May 16, 2013 at 03:20 #

no, she doesn’t. I’m glad that a few actresses like her embrace their paleness. Not everyone in Hollywood needs to look like they’ve been all day on the beach (or the tanning bed, actually).

What she needs is to wear stronger colors.

• Lee Ann May 16, 2013 at 12:12 #

agreed. i adore pale skin

• Prudence May 16, 2013 at 19:50 #

there is pale and then there is ghostly…she is a ghost. Liv Tyler is pale but still manages to look alive.

28. Taksi May 16, 2013 at 00:23 #

It’s a nice change, I don’t think she usually does sexy.

29. Laurie May 16, 2013 at 00:45 #

I get it that they are clearly trying to juxtapose the movie for this press tour, but she should fire her stylist for suddenly transforming her into someone utterly forgettable and boring. If she keeps going at this rate people will stop caring.

• Kate May 16, 2013 at 03:23 #

she changed stylists some time ago, now ryan hastings styles her. she used to be more original and less bland before him…

• Prudence May 16, 2013 at 19:53 #

agreed! She has had some great fashion moments in Vionnet ( back when she wore color and prints ) and I wish she would go back to those days.

30. Alicat May 16, 2013 at 02:22 #

Vanilla blancmange. The style and fit of the gown is gorgeous but the colour, or should I say lack of, brings it all down. Everything is so pale and washed out. The red lipstick looks startling against it all, but not in a good way.

31. AG May 16, 2013 at 03:19 #

I love Carey’s minimalist style and this look is no exception. I like that this is finally a departure from her favoured black. I’m also glad she mixed it up with her hair and makeup, with her hair out and a red lip. Polished, simple and elegant.

32. Markness May 16, 2013 at 03:34 #

Well, we’re in the era of Raf Simons now but I’m not a fan of the color. The red lips saved it. But I adore the construction. It’s not easy to do gowns like that anymore. Kudos to the work done! :)

33. EmmaWoodhouse May 16, 2013 at 04:29 #

I really dislike the dress–I mean, the skirt is nice but the top is too revealing AND the color washes her out. The design is rather blah. Her hair and makeup are rather jarring…there should have been more thought put into the whole look. Not loving it. Hoping to see more, and better, from her.

34. Joy May 16, 2013 at 05:01 #

I love this dress on Carey! It looks so beautiful on her skin tone. This is one of my favorite of the night for sure.

But, her hair is horrible. She needed to put it up in a faux bob to go along with the silhouette of the dress. Maybe a few pincurls? It has a very Great Gatsby feel, but the hair really is a let down.

35. Shalini Lahiri May 16, 2013 at 05:08 #

I am completely underwhelmed. Minimalistic looks great when Tilda Swinton does it. Except the lip colour, nothing excites me about this look.

36. the ogre May 16, 2013 at 06:01 #

ok she has done it. gone and knocked it out of the fashion ballpark. this is good on so many levels that i can’t even begin. i love bling but i love me a minimalist gown too especially one that looks and fits like that. perfect make up and hair and u have a perfect look. once again she truly impresses me by sticking to her style aesthetic and holding her own fort at a place where everyone will b trying very very hard to impress the other.

37. Cristina May 16, 2013 at 06:16 #

She looks beautiful!

38. Lil's May 16, 2013 at 09:26 #

I absolulety love this look. Perfection

39. Susan May 16, 2013 at 14:23 #

Absolutely beautiful. I like everything about this look.

40. Louise May 16, 2013 at 14:50 #

Absolutely stunning!! I am in love!!

41. Glenda May 16, 2013 at 19:48 #

I LOVED this look. She managed to look a billion dollars in the most minimal looks, which is not an easy feat. It’s perhaps not as bling or as striking as others who took to the red carpet yesterday, but she’s my best dressed anyway. A true breath of fresh air.

42. elizabeth May 17, 2013 at 07:24 #

I dislike everything about this look. Reminds me of Anne Hathaway’s Oscar dress debacle.

43. Jess2 May 17, 2013 at 09:08 #

Love that she included the red lip and that dress sure does fit perfectly. Quite lovely!

44. Lou May 22, 2013 at 21:29 #

Great silhouette but wish the gown was a vibrant colour – feel it washes her out a bit.