07.05.13

Nina Dobrev In Monique Lhuillier – 2013 Met Gala

Nina Dobrev In Monique Lhuillier - 2013 Met Gala

‘Vampire Diaries’ star Nina Dobrev went for it with the punk theme at the Met Gala, and is looking totally sexy on the red carpet.

Wearing a Monique Lhuillier corseted, black lace pantsuit accented with a black leather halter and tulle overskirt, Nina is beyond fierce.

Her Rupert Sanderson pumps are the perfect accent.

Her strong cat eye and side swept locks say punk without getting costumey, and her jewels add some glamour to the entire look.

I think Nina is one of the best of the night by going punk without looking like she’s dressed for Halloween. Do you agree?

Credit: Getty

Alexa Chung's Paul Smith Black Label Checked Dress

Alexa Chung’s Paul Smith Black Label Checked Dress

Gwyneth Paltrow In Valentino Couture - 2013 Met Gala

Gwyneth Paltrow In Valentino Couture – 2013 Met Gala

69 Responses to Nina Dobrev In Monique Lhuillier – 2013 Met Gala

1. Matt R May 7, 2013 at 01:53 #

FC – I wasn’t sure how you were going to react to Nina, but I am so happy we have the same sentiment. I think she looks great. Definitely a Best Dressed for the night.

2. Maria Luiza Maia May 7, 2013 at 01:53 #

3. Jimmy May 7, 2013 at 01:54 #

While she looks pretty, this looks more like a take on a 50′s hostess gown than anything punk at all. The only nod to punk is the color in my opinion.

• chelsea May 7, 2013 at 06:12 #

you don’t have to dress punk. she looks awesome, unlike MOST of the celebs

• Princess Chi Chi May 7, 2013 at 07:41 #

I agree with everything Jimmy said, I personally found it a little costume-y as well.

• Beta May 7, 2013 at 08:10 #

+1 it’s lovely but not exactly punk

4. Mary Gatto May 7, 2013 at 01:54 #

So far, she’s the best for me! There are other great looks, but not all seem to get the “punk” spirit…

5. Christine May 7, 2013 at 01:57 #

Love the dramatic eyeliner but this is a no.

6. Aline May 7, 2013 at 01:57 #

One hundred percent agree. I’m OBSESSED with this look. It embodies the theme with such perfection, but, as you said, without looking costumey. The jewelry and makeup are amazing and her hair looks prettier than ever. She’s my favorite of the night so far.

Plus, I’m really pleased I love her outfit this time around, ’cause last year I sat alone in a corner disliking her DK dress while everyone else loved it.

7. justme May 7, 2013 at 01:57 #

OMG is she posing facing forward? It’s a miracle.

All jokes aside, I really like this. It’s a fun look that doesn’t feel gimmick-y. I’m not so sure about the way her is styled here but still, she looks beautiful.

• Kathy May 7, 2013 at 01:58 #

LOL

• justme May 7, 2013 at 01:59 #

*her hair

8. Adralina May 7, 2013 at 01:59 #

I like it! She looks so fierce!!!

9. Anne gaelle May 7, 2013 at 01:59 #

Punk is Vivian Westwood, Debby Harry, Sioux, Clash, the Pins, piercing, tattoos, clothes torn,IT’s Punk,
    She Looks like a rich girl who play the badass

10. Nat39 May 7, 2013 at 01:59 #

I think she nailed it, looking so sexy and fierce yet effortless, and perfectly in tune with the theme of the event without overcooking the look with the punk elements, she totally found the right balance imo.

• Yeliz May 7, 2013 at 02:27 #

I totally agree with you. I think this is a love or hate look and I love it. Everything about it.

• DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) May 7, 2013 at 02:41 #

I’m in.

• the ogre May 7, 2013 at 11:07 #

i love this look! she hardly ever gives us a miss and thats certainly the case on this ocasion! but i do wish she had worn different earrings! but otherwise she looks absolutely spot-on!

• sara May 7, 2013 at 19:22 #

Agreed, i swear Nina can do no wrong. She nailed it and looks stunning!

• Betelgeuze May 7, 2013 at 21:40 #

+1. She’s my favourite of the event.

• TeaAtTwo May 9, 2013 at 01:20 #

She looked great for the night.

11. mirela May 7, 2013 at 01:59 #

It is a no for me. I just don’t like design of the pantsuit. And it really doesn’t give me punk vibe.

• Kathy May 7, 2013 at 02:06 #

Agree about not looking punk. How exactly is this rebellious at all? Yes, it has an unconventional silhouette, but Nina looks too put-together to be punk.

• Mandy May 7, 2013 at 02:13 #

I would have loved this if she had pushed it a bit further and done something wild with her hair. But sadly she does look too polished for the punk vibe she is going for.

12. Sanette May 7, 2013 at 02:00 #

I absolutely love this. The skirt, pants, corset and the hair. It’s risky and it stands out. One of my absolute favourites from her and I think it’s up there with her red Donna Karan dress.

13. Lani lye May 7, 2013 at 02:01 #

Hands down, best of the night! I always look forward to seeing her && she never disappoints! I am OBSESSED with this entire look/her attitude

14. Fumi May 7, 2013 at 02:01 #

She does play two vampires on tv , and even though that’s not the same thing she can bring the fierce when she wants to. That said, I’m obsessed with this look!

15. Kathy May 7, 2013 at 02:03 #

I wish the outfit wasn’t so…complicated. While Nina looks fierce as usual and is totally selling it, the pantsuit plus the skirt is a bit much. She could’ve ditched the tulle and looked just as good, if not even better. The lacey material and leather halter straps are more than enough to stand out.

16. J (DressMeForLess) May 7, 2013 at 02:06 #

Oh, Nina. You’ve rocked this gala on its socks in the last few years. Should have stuck with Donna Karan. This is a big fashion don’t.

17. Vikki May 7, 2013 at 02:09 #

Nina is the most beautiful and stylish!

18. Stephanie Woo May 7, 2013 at 02:09 #

Not a fan…it’s overly fussy.I think it would’ve been pretty cool without the tulle.

19. Jono May 7, 2013 at 02:15 #

Normally I love what Nina wears, and her hair and makeup look great but somehow the rest of it reminds me of this…

20. nh May 7, 2013 at 02:17 #

I think this is my favorite by far.. I love the hair

FC your the best!!! every time I re-fresh the website, I new article is out…I love you :)

21. EmmaWoodhouse May 7, 2013 at 02:19 #

I don’t like the lingerie like top (it also doesn’t flatter), the skirt over pants is an interesting concept–and I really like the voluminous organza–BUT…it’s skirt over pants. And at the end of the day, I can’t get behind that. Hair and makeup are gorgeous though.

22. allie May 7, 2013 at 02:21 #

She looks AWESOME

23. jo May 7, 2013 at 02:32 #

Agree. She’s the best of the night for me. Love the skirts, make up and the top. I like people who take risks on these events.

24. Marybeth May 7, 2013 at 02:34 #

Yes! Thumbs up from me. I think this is a wonderful high-fashion interpretation of the theme and she does it while still looking like her own gorgeous self.

25. Lyo May 7, 2013 at 03:01 #

I’m sorry, put the “pants dress” just killed everything for me. We’re talking about punk, not bad 80′s revival.
    Big no here, goes to Worst Dressed of the Year…

26. Lisa May 7, 2013 at 03:10 #

Reminds me of Demi Moore at a premiere years ago that she still gets “worst dressed” comments on. I don’t see “punk”

27. sarah May 7, 2013 at 04:07 #

My favorite of the night. It’s maybe a little more 80′s hair band than punk, but I still think she’s working the theme and looking hot.

28. Pedro May 7, 2013 at 04:11 #

Nina looks amazing but for me she is to short for this look

29. NooG May 7, 2013 at 04:21 #

I don’t normally get the hyper around this girl but this is easily one of the best of the night. AMAZING.

30. Prudence May 7, 2013 at 04:34 #

the material is so rigid it makes her look wider, I wish it had been more flowy just so it doesnt stick out and make her look so wide. I do love this look though, she was deffs on trend.

31. Joy May 7, 2013 at 06:05 #

Okay, I have to first caveat by saying I am not a follower of the Nina Dobrev bandwagon– meaning I don’t ALWAYS pick her for BDOTW.

However, this is my favorite look of the night. I so strongly dislike the theme tonight, but she is pulling punk off with perfection. And I get it, she continually pulls her looks off with perfection. One of the best dressed of the night FOR SURE!!!

32. Natalie May 7, 2013 at 06:31 #

Probably a very divisive look but I like that she took the risk and went with it. It looks like a much better version of that awful Demi Moore dress. I have to say I like it.

33. Jessica May 7, 2013 at 06:31 #

She looks gorgeous! She totally pulls this off, she is defintely one of my best dressed tonight!

34. Noemi May 7, 2013 at 06:57 #

I agree with you, punk is not carnival or halloween or whatever.

35. Gabby M May 7, 2013 at 07:07 #

YAY we have a winner! on point! accessories hair, cateye <3

36. Brazilian fan May 7, 2013 at 07:30 #

That’s my girl,she always make me happy,she’s so beatiful and she know how to wearing a dress,one of the best!!!!

37. Pene May 7, 2013 at 09:24 #

I would definitely nominate her for BD. along with Anne Hathaway, Miley, cara delevingne

ION totally disappointed by Cameron Diaz,she would have saved that glamorous look for the oscars

Nicole Richie halloween look was hilarious

38. Pati May 7, 2013 at 09:25 #

She is my runner-up to Sarah Jessica Perker at this event. Absolutely stunning and so cool that she embraced the theme!

39. AnnaLee May 7, 2013 at 10:14 #

LOVE IT! BDOTW for sure! One of the best of the event… I do not mind the pants/skirt combo, Monique Lhullier had some great pants/skirts combo’s in her fall ’13 collection. I definitely give her a thumbs up for not wearing a more princessy gown of ML.

40. qsdfghjklm May 7, 2013 at 12:20 #

I think she DOES look like she’s going to some Hallowen party. The make up, the hair, perfect. But the pants-dress, sorry I think this is really… you know what I mean

41. Cassie May 7, 2013 at 12:47 #

I love this look. While had she done something a little more punk with her hair and make up, the Met Gala is a red carpet event, not a friend’s costume party. I think the unconventional pant/skirt silhouette and the attitude is right in line with the spirit of punk.

42. MaddyEliza May 7, 2013 at 13:16 #

I like this a lot!!

43. Marko_M May 7, 2013 at 13:34 #

She hasn’t made the wrong choice on the red carpet in my eyes…until now.

44. Arina May 7, 2013 at 13:44 #

My favourite by far! <3

45. Jess2 May 7, 2013 at 14:12 #

I adore this woman, she is perfect from head to toe. Never let’s us down. Best Dressed IMO!

46. Fey May 7, 2013 at 14:23 #

Sorry to say this but this Dress is a nightmare :( absolut horrible!

My favorites were Jessica Alba, Katie Holmes, Kate Beckinsale, Emma Watson, Emmy Rossum hands down! Nina’s nowhere near as good as them

47. Moxie May 7, 2013 at 16:02 #

Definitely one of my faves. Punk and chic at the same time.

48. Jokzan Cordova May 7, 2013 at 16:02 #

I liked this look, and I think she looks pretty, this is not punk at all, but it doesn´t matter she still look pretty! good for her

49. Cole May 7, 2013 at 16:10 #

Im so obsessed with this look. Love it!

50. dee May 7, 2013 at 16:13 #

This is 1950′s bad girl. She looks pretty but this is not punk.

51. Dan Oliver May 7, 2013 at 17:31 #

I can’t get behind the whole skirt with pants combo so it’s a no from me

52. megzzz May 7, 2013 at 17:49 #

No. How can this be considered one of the best of then night when Sjp & beyonce following the theme.

Nina looks incredibly costumey and uncomfortable, she has no idea how she is supposed to pose.

this is a punk event- where is the punk; she is pouting wearing a ridiculous dress.

it seems monique lhullier needs to actually look around the exhibition so she can understand what punk actually is.

• Fashion X May 8, 2013 at 18:12 #

You’ve got to be kidding me! SJP yes with that Philip Treacy fascinator, but Beyonce? You call that punk? Honestly, I think it’s you who needs to be educated about punk.

On the other hand, I definitely agree that Nina is one of the best dressed gals of the night. Love the leather and lace combo with tulle skirt and gorgeous jumpsuit. And that hair and makeup plus the accessories are so appropriate! Really great job!

53. Paulyne May 7, 2013 at 18:02 #

I LOVE IT ! This is my best dressed with Taylor . She NAILED it !

54. G May 7, 2013 at 20:34 #

I love Nina. Her style keeps evolving and I am obsessed with her fashion and beauty looks. Kudos to her stylist. Sophistication and edge personified.

55. Tati M May 7, 2013 at 21:05 #